The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: To what extent should Hans Zimmer borrow from the original John Williams score
He MUST keep the Title March!!! Although he may add his own elements for other sequences. 23 23.47%
Completely new score. He should not borrow at all from the William's theme. 59 60.20%
New title march, but borrowing a few key elements from the original march. 15 15.31%
Anything other than the John Williams score will be blasphemy!! Off with Zimmer's head!! 1 1.02%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #51
Steyin
Bidding you ADIEU!

Default Re: Should Hans Zimmer borrow from the John Williams score?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Ray View Post
Just as Batman got a new theme, so too should Superman.
Batman didn't get a new theme. We got a strong track in Molossus (the closest thing to a new theme), but only bits of it were heard in TDK. Then the TDK score doesn't establish a theme of any sort, and any time it gets close to it it fizzles out/dies down. Instead, Batman got a new "motif", not theme. I'm still waiting for a clear, well defined/epic theme, which I would hope and think fits with the premise of "Rises", but I still wouldn't bank on it.

As for Supes, I feel Zimmer would take the same approach, but given this may not be a series, he may up his game to accommodate. Again though, I'm not expecting anything near Williams' theme, but I do expect a solid score for the film.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #52
afan
Side-Kick

A question......who is responsible for "He's a Pirate"? Is it Zimmer or Badelt?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #53
El Payaso
Banned User

He mustn't take one single note from Williams's score. A new franchise must have a new score no matter how popular the previous one is.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #54
The Guard
Side-Kick

I think it's fairly obvious they've closed the book on Donner's Superman. SUPERMAN RETURNS paid homage to the classic music nicely, and to wonderful effect.

It's time for something new.

Some of Zimmer's work is forgetable. Zimmer's Batman score, in my opinion, doesn't come close to Elfman's Batman theme, but his score does establish a mood, and it fits the film and its emotional and action beats quite well.

I just wish he wouldn't use dadadadadadadadadada so much.

The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #55
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

No Williams theme. Let it be up there with the legendary pieces of cinema music and let Zimmer bring us the next one, just like he did with the new Batfilms.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:18 AM   #56
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Just make a NEW song using the vibrant happy major scale and the perfect 5th interval. Its as epic as you`ll get. LOL Star Wars, 2001, Superman from Williams all have that.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #57
p4poetic
Side-Kick

I can't believe we are still discussing this. Its not 1978 anymore, move on people, nothing to see here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker2007 View Post
In an ideal world, the Williams Superman theme would be used forever as nothing can ever top it, never ever. But as we have to be realistic, the answer is going to be No.

Technically speaking, Hans Zimmer is not capable of even giving a good rendition of the Williams theme as he is not a trained composer like Williams.

But what Zimmer is good at is creating new sounds and textures, and music which will suit the movie it is in. It will probably lack any sort of melody, and will probably be a simple two or four note theme, but it will most likely work with the visuals.

IMO Zimmer's best work was with Black Rain (incidentally he reused the exact theme for Batman Begins and Dark Knight), Rain Man, Last Samurai and Gladiator.

I think Zimmer works best with dark movies, and has a distinctive sound honed over 20 years of vast experience.

Is he going to give us an epic Superman theme? The answer is No.
Is he going to give us a relatively decent theme for Snyder's superman movie? Probably yes.

If we keep expectations low, maybe he will surprise us, but then again, Zimmer hardly changes, you always know what you will get.

I doubt we will get a big brassy score like the Williams score.

the end result will be good though, maybe Zimmer might get inspired to shut the doubters up by giving us his best ever score! we can only hope!
Wow you sure know a lot of stuff. Do you know how many licks it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop too?

Old 12-03-2010, 02:07 AM   #58
General Vulcun
Side-Kick

Zimmer's score doesn't have to use elements of Williams' theme or even try to top Williams' theme. It just has to be Superman. If the score does that, and does it well, then there's no reason why it shouldn't have a decent shot at being remembered alongside Williams' score.

Hell, look at his work on Nolan's Batman films. Obviously Zimmer isn't dealing with a clear-cut iconic Batman march like what Elfman did. In fact, there are several aspects of his score that relate to Batman but don't exactly paint a clear picture of what the main theme is. But isn't Zimmer's Batman score still very much "Batman"? I listen to Zimmer's score all the time, and even though it isn't as catchy & doesn't stick with you the same way Elfman's score initially did, I still come away thinking "this is Batman." Isn't that all that matters, really?

I can't say for sure whether or not Zimmer can give the new Superman what he needs. I can say that I completely trust Zimmer until proven wrong, though. There's really no reason to attack a guy's work on a film when ideas are still being engraved this early in production. I mean, you can express concern based on previous works, but to say "Zimmer will do this" or "that" when he hasn't even recorded a single note so far is confusing, because it's just that: there ISN'T a score to judge yet.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 AM   #59
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I still can't get "Like a dog chasing cars" out of my head. Its sheer epicness surpasses everything Elfman did for Batman (imo). I sure hope it reapperas in TDKR.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #60
daywalker2007
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4poetic View Post
I can't believe we are still discussing this. Its not 1978 anymore, move on people, nothing to see here.

Wow you sure know a lot of stuff. Do you know how many licks it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop too?
No, but your mom did tell me last night, it was a really infomative session.

daywalker2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #61
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Completely new score to help further separate it from the other films.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #62
byte19
200... It WILL Happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
A question......who is responsible for "He's a Pirate"? Is it Zimmer or Badelt?
Zimmer.Most of the main themes are Zimmer's (Pirate, Jack Sparrow) Klaus simply took those themes and composed around them...
let's not forgot... It may say Music Composed by Hans Zimmer... but he gives his fiends and co-workers all the credit they richly deserve...

The Rascal Theorist: New Frequency! CD out NOW! http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/new...cy/id399123881
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I Will Watch This Film More Times Than Anyone On The Planet... It Will Happen...
byte19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:58 AM   #63
DoomGeneration
Side-Kick

while it won't get better for me than superman returns' use of a choir with the 1979 smallville theme

but if there's gonna a previous film that hans borrows from i hope it's the pearl harbor soundtrack.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

but it has to be a three note theme announces superman syllablicly as have just about all superman themes have done since the 1940s

edit: what does a guy have to do to get this youtube tag to work?

Last edited by DoomGeneration; 12-05-2010 at 03:05 AM.
DoomGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:17 AM   #64
FVD
Jolly Loves You

Absolutely NOT!!! I know that Zimmer has the potential to craft a memorable theme. Heck The Rock and Crimson Tide is still memorable to these ears of mine...

Old 12-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #65
rob-el2
Side-Kick

I would like to see, for the most part, all new scoring. One exception though. For the first shirt rip (and I certainly hope we get a great rip a la Reeve in the first movie) I would like to see the Williams music integrated in homage. It doesn't have to be exactly the same but close enough that when you start to hear it build up you know what's coming.

rob-el2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #66
FVD
Jolly Loves You

And with Zack Snyder in the Director's Chair I'm already imagining a huge bombastic score! I'm certain Zimmer is more than capable of such a task!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #67
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

I personally think they are going to feature the Williams score in some fashion. Not sure if it will be the "main theme", but I imagine it will appear in some capacity.

My opinion is that they should use the theme, the general public connects it with Superman. I'm not saying it is needed for Superman to be a successful film, but it is a very very recognizable theme.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #68
El Payaso
Banned User

Well, people connect Donner's universe with Superman. That's why they're still depicting the FoS with crystals.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #69
bgshw44
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I personally think they are going to feature the Williams score in some fashion. Not sure if it will be the "main theme", but I imagine it will appear in some capacity.

My opinion is that they should use the theme, the general public connects it with Superman. I'm not saying it is needed for Superman to be a successful film, but it is a very very recognizable theme.

agree 100 percent,very comparable to the james bond theme, works throught the ages.

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
bgshw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #70
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Damn guys, what's the point in hiring Zimmer if he's going to be using the Williams score? "Hey man, we want you to come in and do the theme for Superman. Just come in, look pretty and just hit "play" for the Williams score. Thanks!"

No, it's common sense. This movie is a re-boot and EVERYTHING should be changed. The Williams score defined the Superman franchise in the 80's and will always be linked, but there's 5 movies with the Williams score, it's time to move onto fresh and better things in 2010. Thank God.

Tra-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #71
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I love the Williams theme but it is time to move on and create new music for the modern reinvention.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #72
Cousin Itt
Side-Kick

I hope they play Williams theme at least in the begging or the end.

The theme is too epic to be left out.

- Unknown
Cousin Itt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #73
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I feel that Zimmer needs to take a lesson from the animated series of Batman and Superman in the 90's. The themes of Batman and Superman feel very inspired by the themes that Danny Elfman and John Williams (which IMO are the definitive themes of those characters), yet they were still their own.

The problem with the scores in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight was that the score just didn't feel very Batman-like. He needs to make the new Superman theme it's own, but he needs to take inspiration from John Williams the way Shirley Walker has.

And you also have to add in the fact that the Donner Superman movies are extremely influential to the Superman mythos. Snyder's Superman needs some Donner influences.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #74
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgshw44 View Post
agree 100 percent,very comparable to the james bond theme, works throught the ages.
Right exactly. Great analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
Damn guys, what's the point in hiring Zimmer if he's going to be using the Williams score? "Hey man, we want you to come in and do the theme for Superman. Just come in, look pretty and just hit "play" for the Williams score. Thanks!"

No, it's common sense. This movie is a re-boot and EVERYTHING should be changed. The Williams score defined the Superman franchise in the 80's and will always be linked, but there's 5 movies with the Williams score, it's time to move onto fresh and better things in 2010. Thank God.
If he did end up doing his own version of the Williams score, you realize there is a plethora of other songs he would be developing for the movie.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:22 AM   #75
batman44
Go Speed GO

If Zimmer is to borrow anything from the previous Superman stuff, I'd prefer it be Sammy Timberg's Superman theme from the Max Fleischer series. It's actually my personal favorite of the all the musical themes used for Superman.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is online now   Reply With Quote