The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #151
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: News & Discussion Thread

I'd love the Ken Watanbe casting to be true but I hope they are going to actually film some of the movie in Japan.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 08-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #152
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

I saw some pics of Jackman from last week & his hair is REALLY Short. Hopefully 3 months is enough time for it to be Logan-length. I don't want him wearing a wig or looking like he did in the scene where Stryker shoots him in Origins where it was too short.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #153
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I thought his hair looked the most natural in Wolverine. In X-men sometimes the hair grafts were just too obvious and funny looking.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
Old 08-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #154
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
It needs to open in the Summer. The opening weekend numbers alone are worth delaying it to 2013, not to mention it could use more time in post production. I'm confident that if it gets the May 31st, 2013 spot, it'll do at least $80 Million opening weekend. Iron Man will already be a month in & I can see Jackman's star-power keeping the film at #1 on week 2 - defeating Ryan Reynolds' Turbo. Week 3 will be a big drop with Man of Steel, but by then it should be at $160+ Million. They need to claim that spot soon or Paramount's gonna end up giving it to Star Trek.
A summer with Iron Man, Thor, Superman and Wolverine??? People say this summer was muted by too many superheroes (not me though) I don't think they'll hit the summer but that's just a guess. BTW- why has no one but Despicable Me 2 grabbed the July 4th weekend that year???

Old 08-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #155
Crockett
With Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I'd love the Ken Watanbe casting to be true but I hope they are going to actually film some of the movie in Japan.
I agree, when Aronofsky was attached to the project the majority of the shooting was to take place in Japan, I hope it doesn't change because it sucks if Vancouver will be the stand-in for Japan.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #156
docdoc
Side-Kick

If there will ever be a superhero movie that is not releasing in summer, it won't be an X-MEN movie.

My guess it will be May 2013, basically in between IRON MAN 3 and Man of Steel, and that being said Deadpool is very unlikely to be released in 2013...

Old 08-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #157
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Filming isnt that far away so why the hell havent they got a director yet? Hadnt they better make a move on if filming is starting in a few months!

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 08-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #158
narrows101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Filming isnt that far away so why the hell havent they got a director yet? Hadnt they better make a move on if filming is starting in a few months!
James Mangold is the director. That's not a rumor, Hugh has said it in few interviews. There just hasn't been any kind of press release or formal announcement from Fox.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #159
Crockett
With Teeth

It's weird that Fox hasn't released an official announcement by now for the new director, perhaps they're still working on a few details in the contract?

Old 08-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #160
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

I really don't like the fact that they're not filming in Japan. Its one thing to make Vancouver look like upstate New York, but Vancouver standing in for Japan? Not liking that at all. My enthusiasm for this film is steadily declining.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #161
Cherry
Side-Kick

They could still be shooting in Japan for part of the shoot -- say, for exteriors. But it is a lot cheaper to shoot on sets in Vancouver than at interiors in Japan. Who knows at this point?

Old 08-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #162
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

A few days ago, Collider reported that the production will take place in Vancouver. As for cutting costs, the film's undoubtedly gonna run FOX $100 Million+ which is more than enough money to shoot it where it truly needs to. A Vancouver shoot just means the producers would rather be comfortable while they guzzle up half the budget on themselves than give the film a real sense of atmosphere and authenticy. This is one of those stories where the backdrop is an actual character. Oh well.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #163
Cherry
Side-Kick

Didn't the report say shooting in Vancouver would begin in November? With Hugh saying production begins in October, maybe they're shooting a few weeks in Japan first? I dunno, just speculating...

Old 08-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #164
the a1ant
Awesome

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully they'll get to physically be in Japan for some of the production.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #165
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Looks like it will start shooting next spring instead of October:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/wolv...ng-start-date/

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: The studio says it never officially has given the sequel a production state date. Fox was looking at a Fall 2011 start date for the Christopher McQuarrie script for Wolverine 2 starring Hugh Jackman and directed by James Mangold. But now that may push back to Spring 2012. The screenplay mostly takes place in Japan. But studio insiders tell us itís hard finding just where to shoot in Japan these days because of weather-related considerations. Now the location might switch to Canada or become a combination of the two countries. But weíre also hearing that the start date will wait until after Jackman finishes making Les Miserables. Thereís no question that 20th Century Fox wants the pic badly and has been trying to get its sequel to the X-Men spinoff The Wolverine rolling for quite awhile now. In June it landed director Mangold after Darren Aronofsky bowed out in March, ending one of the most competitive contests among Hollywood helmers for a major studio film. That set up the studio thinking that it could begin production in the fall.
As long as he still gets to do Les Miserables, I don't care when they start.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #166
narrows101
Side-Kick

I agree re Les Mis! Here's more info:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...gh_jackman_ca/#

Quote:
Production On ‘The Wolverine’ May Be Bumped To Spring 2012 So Hugh Jackman Can Do ‘Les Miserables’

The rocky road to “The Wolverine” continues to bump as yet another delay may push back the film even further.

Deadline reports that despite recent updates around the web that pointed to a November start for the comic book film with shooting to take place in Canada, the film will still head to the great white north, except it won’t start rolling until spring 2012. It appears that Hugh Jackman will want to do his song-and-dance routine in Tom Hooper‘s “Les Miserables” first before putting on the claws for “The Wolverine.” Hooper’s follow-up to “The King’s Speech” has been casting up over the summer with Jackman as Jean Valjean and Russell Crowe in the role of Inspector Javert. Last we heard, shooting was going to begin in February 2012 but this news suggests the shooting date may be moving up (perhaps to get in for Oscar season next year). And according to industry tracking site It’s On The Grid, more talent is being rounded up with names like Hayden Panettiere, Miranda Cosgrove, Lucy Hale and Emma Watson being tossed around for Eponine and Cosette with Amy Adams and Rebecca Hall being eyed for Fantine. Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter are in negotiations to reteam with Hooper to play the Thenardiers.

This all yet another chapter in the saga for “The Wolverine,” which has seen Darren Aronofsky come and go and the devastating earthquake in Japan cause the initial delay in production. With fall 2012 being considered as a initial release date, that now seems off the table with 2013 looking much more likely. As for director James Mangold, it remains to be seen if he’ll stick it out until next year or move on to another project. More to come we’re sure.

Last edited by narrows101; 08-24-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #167
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

If Les Miserables is going to be Hugh as Valjean and Russell Crowe as Javert I may not care if The Wolverine ever gets filmed.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #168
Marvel
Side-Kick

Les Miserables? Groan... sorry but a typical comic fan had to chime in here.

If they were taking time to make sure it's 100% right then that's one thing but putting everything on hold for the reasons mentioned is awful. Jamming The Wolverine in to a already crowded summer 2013 is just a bad idea for a release date.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #169
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

So a "typical comic fan" can't like Les Miserables? When did that rule come down?

Wolverine is my favorite comic book character...and I've seen Les Miserables on stage 9 times. Eight times on Broadway and once in London.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #170
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Since November is a little over two months away and we've heard absolutely nothing about sets being built, crews hired and actors cast, no this isn't surprising. Whatsoever. Quite the opposite, this was expected.

If they manage to get production going by the end of next summer, I'd say we're looking at a Memorial Day 2013 opening weekend.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #171
Rac
Deadite

So, the film will probably be a summer 2013 release.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #172
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

2013 sounds like a lock now and its the best way to go. So far the summer line-up goes: IRON MAN 3 (May 3), MOMMY & ME (May 10), SINGULARITY (May 17), FAST 6 (May 24), TURBO (June 7), THE MAN OF STEEL (June 14), MONSTERS UNIVERSITY (June 21), R.I.P.D. (June 28), DESPICABLE ME 2 (July 3), PACIFIC RIM (July 12), OBLIVION (July 19), THOR II (July 26) & THE SMURFS 2 (August 2). Wolverine can still nab the May 31st spot if FOX hurries up and makes an announcement already. Paramount already signed the Star Trek cast so they'll be announcing a date soon and probably gunning for May 31st as well. *The most money an X-Men film ever made was for X3 which premiered May 26 so it would definitely be a good omen.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #173
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Star Trek 2 will most likely be for the July 4th 2013 weekend.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #174
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrows101 View Post
James Mangold is the director. That's not a rumor, Hugh has said it in few interviews. There just hasn't been any kind of press release or formal announcement from Fox.
Strange the way they havent made an announcement then, thought they would because they did for Aronofsky and Mangold is quite a good director also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
It's weird that Fox hasn't released an official announcement by now for the new director, perhaps they're still working on a few details in the contract?
It is strange, thought something would have been released by now.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #175
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The delay was probally In part for Fox to have It as Summer 2013 release.I wouldn't make any bets on when Star Trek will be coming out.Since the writers don't seem to want to make Star Trek their priority and we are still waiting for J.J. Abrams to decide If he's going to direct.

This means it will probally be summer 2015 till we get another full X-Men team film.

Closed Thread