Oh thank god! IM2 was horrible! 6 5.61%
WTF MARVEL. Its like X-Men 3 all over again... 50 46.73%
Meh, time will tell. 51 47.66%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #176
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Default Re: No iron man 3 for jon favreau

There is a bit if irony about Favreau leaving his spot to direct Ironman 3 since he had no problem working on Cowboys&Aliens which is an adaption of a graphic novel and which had a built in fanbase before the movie was made.

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 12-14-2010 at 11:03 PM.
S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #177
A Necessary Evil
You're Afraid

he didn't leave because of it being a comic book....what irony?

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
A Necessary Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #178
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

I'm not happy to read about Favreau's departure. And I thought that Iron Man 2 was a step down from the original.

But please, let's all stop exaggerating here. IM2 was not a horrible movie; overall I would still give it a "thumbs up." It didn't tear the box office apart like The Dark Knight but it still made over $300 million, and mainstream audience polls like Cinemascore show that people liked it. And what's this talk about IM2 being an "infomercial for the Avengers?" That sounds like total fanboy hyperbole. Nick Fury showed up in the middle of the film, but he didn't even mention the Avengers then. We just got a few brief lines at the end about Tony being considered for membership, and the after-credits scene with Thor's hammer. IM2 had its problems but being flooded with Avengers isn't one of them.

ClarkLuther55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #179
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

It's all BS because we knew it was happening already. All of that stuff was IN Iron Man. They set up SHIELD and Nick Fury in Iron Man. As well as the Avengers Initiative and everyone loved.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #180
I Am The Knight
Jokerized

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
There is a bit if irony about Favreau leaving his spot to direct Ironman 3 since he had no problem working on Cowboys&Aliens which is an adaption of a graphic novel and which had a built in fanbase before the movie was made.
I'm not sure that irony is the right word, but you can't compare C&A to the expectations (and baggage) an IM3 comes with.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by OriginalMiles!
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #181
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus_Snape View Post
he didn't leave because of it being a comic book....what irony?
What I was trying to get across is that since it's based on a source material,fans of it are going to have expectations regarding the C&A movie,the fans who have read the graphic novel for it that is. He acted as if certain people won't have expectations for the movie and so going off of that one problem he might as well just stick with doing movies that aren't based on an existing source material if that one problem bugs him so much.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #182
bullets
bang bang

I think studio interference and timing issues are probably what caused him to drop out. I liked IM2 but wanted to see something separate from the Avengers for IM3. I think Favreau would of delivered and now it's up in the air.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #183
Parker Wayne
I have an army, of Batmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkLuther55 View Post
I'm not happy to read about Favreau's departure. And I thought that Iron Man 2 was a step down from the original.

But please, let's all stop exaggerating here. IM2 was not a horrible movie; overall I would still give it a "thumbs up." It didn't tear the box office apart like The Dark Knight but it still made over $300 million, and mainstream audience polls like Cinemascore show that people liked it. And what's this talk about IM2 being an "infomercial for the Avengers?" That sounds like total fanboy hyperbole. Nick Fury showed up in the middle of the film, but he didn't even mention the Avengers then. We just got a few brief lines at the end about Tony being considered for membership, and the after-credits scene with Thor's hammer. IM2 had its problems but being flooded with Avengers isn't one of them.
Its all been exaggerated. If you actually count how much time is spent on the avengers its only the brief reference to New Mexico, the ending, and the after credits. That's all 3, 4 minutes tops.

Parker Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #184
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
I'm not sure that irony is the right word, but you can't compare C&A to the expectations (and baggage) an IM3 comes with.

I wasn't even trying to compare them in terms of what their expectations are and what they will be. I didn't touch on the baggage that Ironman 3 has either and I also didn't draw differences or parallels in terms of baggage and expectations between the movies.

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 12-15-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #185
Stuart Green
Side-Kick

I saw this earlier and I'm disappointed that Mr. Favreau won't be doing a third "Iron Man", but after seeing the second, it seemed that he had less control over it than the first. I really, REALLY hope this doesn't go the "X-Men: The Last Straw" route and have the third film be the weakest installment due to a new director who didn't do as good of a job as his predecessor.

Stuart Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:01 AM   #186
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
What I was trying to get across is that since it's based on a source material,fans of it are going to have expectations regarding the C&A movie,the fans who have read the graphic novel for it that is. He acted as if certain people won't have expectations for the movie and so going off of that one problem he might as well just stick with doing movies that aren't based on an existing source material if that one problem bugs him so much.
Fans? Let's be honest, that fan base isn't exactly big, besides Fevreau has already said it was C&A in name only and the most of the story has got nothing to do with the comic, that film is based off the concept more than the original.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:14 AM   #187
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Fans? Let's be honest, that fan base isn't exactly big, besides Fevreau has already said it was C&A in name only and the most of the story has got nothing to do with the comic, that film is based off the concept more than the original.
I was already aware that the fanbase for C&A isn't big. Thanks for pointing the other stuff out to me.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #188
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
Hopefully Marvel will select another talented director that respects the source material. The first thing I thought when I heard that Fav wasnt coming back is "Here comes the cursed third movie in a series," but I try to be optimistic. So we'll see.
I wouldn't mind, but the fact that Marvel seems to think "cheaper" is better really makes me think they aren't exactly looking for quality but rather someone who is just "capable".

Terrible way to approach an already established series.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:19 AM   #189
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

I respect him for his decision....regardless of what project he's doing next. I'd be pretty concerned with Marvel's leading up to the Avengers dictating what the next IM movie would have to be, as well, if I were him. I think he's more than done his part for Marvel, and he should take whatever opportunities he wants that are available to him now. Would've been nice to see him wrap it up, but at least we got two really good ones.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:53 AM   #190
Timstuff
Banned User

First no Ed Norton in Avengers, and now Jon Favreau's not directing Iron Man 3. WTF is going on, Marvel?

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #191
J.Howlett

Marvel better hope and pray that financially and critically, Thor and Captain America are runaway hits...because if they're not, what's the point of the Avengers then?

This whole thing is about Marvel's creative and business practices.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:06 AM   #192
Supermanreturns
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
First no Ed Norton in Avengers, and now Jon Favreau's not directing Iron Man 3. WTF is going on, Marvel?
Nothin', Hollywood industry. Ed Norton was not returning for money issues, Favreau is not for his personal decision. He's a comedic director and wants to come back to family movies. I don't shame on him for that. It's not Marvel's fault this time. Stop blaming out everytime.

Supermanreturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:26 AM   #193
jacobed
Banned User

It is disappointing thats for sure since he has always had such enthusiasm for the movie series. Hopefully his replacement will be just as good

Last edited by jacobed; 12-15-2010 at 03:41 AM.
jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:41 AM   #194
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Um...I thought he was Iron Man 3 because he's doing Magic Kingdom.
That's what the latest interview states, yeah.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:50 AM   #195
El Payaso
Banned User

To mme he dropped the ball in IM2. The first one had been brilliant but the second one was boring and uninteresting to the extreme so it's not like I'm crying over this. Who knows what a Favreau's third IM movie would be. I don't even know what to m,ake of him as a IM movies director actually. Well the first one is still one of the best superhero movies for me.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:56 AM   #196
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

I find it funny that people call IM2 horrible, when, so many people I've talked to to loved it. I know I did. Was it as good as the first? Not 100%, but almost. ALso,I'm in the group tht thinks IM2 was not an infomercial for the Avengers. However, IM3 could have turned out that way if everything was going to go Marvel's way. Now, I love the Avengers references and hints at the end of Iron Man 1 and 2. However, I think that these films should stay in the "Iron Man film" zone and not "Avengers" zone. It should have Avengers references, but it's still an Iron Man film.

Now, Favreau isn't doing IM3 and it actually makes me really sad because i think he did an incredible job with 1 and 2. I wanted to see how he would translate Mandarin from the comics onto the big screen.

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Spider-ManHero12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #197
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Marvel better hope and pray that financially and critically, Thor and Captain America are runaway hits...because if they're not, what's the point of the Avengers then?

This whole thing is about Marvel's creative and business practices.
I think the whole point has been this single universe, and when you do something like that with so many characters and so many creative teams involved with each character it starts to become a bit of a mess. Here's the bigger issue, Avenger's will already be underway before Thor and Cap are released, possibly be finished even, that to me is ludicrous, in fact I'd say it's down right reckless.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:51 AM   #198
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I think the whole point has been this single universe, and when you do something like that with so many characters and so many creative teams involved with each character it starts to become a bit of a mess. Here's the bigger issue, Avenger's will already be underway before Thor and Cap are released, possibly be finished even, that to me is ludicrous, in fact I'd say it's down right reckless.
It really is.

Joss Whedon probably already knows how Thor and Captain America are going to end so he could technically still make a pretty good Avenger film.

I think at this point all three of these films (Thor, CA, and The Avengers) have to stand out as its own distinctive and sustained story. If all of them accomplish this then Marvel would still be in the clear.

What I fear is that they've turned each of these films into a lead up into the next on, sort of like Iron Man II that might not be the right move IMO. It will get cluttered and lessen the impact of the character to the audience if we don't really care that they are involved then that could lead to a somewhat lousy film.

I know its to early to speculate but its warranted.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #199
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I think the people being emotional about this need to get over it.

I think recently Favreau has shown that he's sort of done with Iron Man and ready to move on.

For starters these things:

1. Favreau didn't want to do Demon in A Bottle. According to Bob Layton, RDJ really wants to do it, but Favreau does not.

2. Favreau doesn't want to do stories that have types of magical or fantasy stories in the Iron Man realm, so nothing that isn't tech-based or isn't realistic. He couldn't really get over that hump and I think that's why he wasn't picked for Avengers either.

3. He's got lots of other projects lined up right now, so he should be fine.

4. Its just, he just hasn't acted serious about wanting to lead and be the visionary for the franchise or other Marvel movies. I think he basically had his take and he's stepping aside now. What is wrong with that?

I think the only thing that would hurt the franchise is losing Robert Downey Jr.
Exactly, normally I'd be up in arms about this, ala Ed Norton's departure, but maybe, just maybe this could turn out good.

And also, Favs was also vastly afraid to do Mandarin.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #200
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

It's a shame he's leaving...I hope whoever steps in can keep the same feel and quality of the first two. Oh and I thought Iron Man 2 was a huge step up from the first...you actually get to see more of Iron Man (go figure) in the film. It's just an overall better film.

GhostPoet is offline   Reply With Quote