The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man Sequels

Old 12-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #126
hatebox
Side-Kick

Default Re: If Favs is indeed out, who do you want to take the reins of Iron Man 3?

OK. I think you've done the film a considerable disservice by boiling it down to little more than what you've written above, but I'm not out to convince you otherwise. Not sure how TDK fits into that mindset, though.

hatebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #127
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Default Re: If Favs is indeed out, who do you want to take the reins of Iron Man 3?

Now that's not to say I don't like dark movies, but I don't like dark movies that are dark because they think it's just so cool to be so. I muchmore prefer the way somebody like Fincher does dark movies for that reason.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #128
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebox View Post
OK. I think you've done the film a considerable disservice by boiling it down to little more than what you've written above, but I'm not out to convince you otherwise. Not sure how TDK fits into that mindset, though.
Well it tends to appeal to the exact same demographic and for the exact same reasons, from what I've been able to see of the fan's reactions.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #129
hatebox
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Well it tends to appeal to the exact same demographic....
And a whole lot more, if the box office is anything to by. And if it wasn't dark it probably wouldn't be a very good Batman film anyway.

But we're going off topic.

hatebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #130
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Well it's just the whole emo/goth/punk/slacker/hacker/anti-establishment mindset of the film that takes the whole paranoid-ness of those groups and glorifies it as if they are the ultimate standards of what we the audience should like/care about and what we shouldn't. In other words, it's the 'we're so cool and all else isn't' mindset that has always bugged me. The Matix isn't the only film to tap into these subgroups desire for dark/edgey self-importance. The Crow, TDK and Dark City do the exact same thing and appeal to pretty much the same sensibilities. I, as someone who has never and WILL never have those same sensibilities,....don't like such fare.
Well at least your honest, I can respect that.

You're not attacking the film-making when your main complaint is the message as many do with Avatar.

I found the counter-culture/non-conformist message refreshing but I guess I can't expect all other "copper tops" to feel the same way.

Last edited by MessiahDecoy123; 12-17-2010 at 03:04 PM.
MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #131
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

I still say The Matrix is a very well made movie regardless of how one feels about the message.

The Wachoskis have talent and could make a great superhero movie.

Last edited by MessiahDecoy123; 12-17-2010 at 03:16 PM.
MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #132
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Well at least your honest, I can respect that.

You're not attacking the film-making when your main complaint is the message as many do with Avatar.

I found the counter-culture/non-conformist message refreshing but I guess I can't expect all other "copper tops" to feel the same way.
That's fair. I really, really do hate 'message movies'. If they want a message, keep it subtle and interpretable in many different ways. It's the old thing that JRR Tolkien used to talk about with applicability vs. allegory. And I'm with him on it. That's why I loved Iron Man 1. favs made sure to not skew too far either way with any message of his film so that you could interpret it yourself however you liked(within reason and the confines of the story). That's why some said it was too left-wing and others said it was too right-wing. To me that's one of the marks of a good movie/story. It just postulates ideas and lets you decide on your own.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #133
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

First off, I'd want Favreau back for IM3. But if he's really and truly gone, then the next guy should be someone who understands the franchise and the actors involved. I wouldn't want a tonally rebooted sequel that pretends to be dark. I don't want a director who turns the franchise on it's head like Schumacher did. The situation is a lot like with X3 , and I'll be really content with myself if they didn't go ahead with another sequel. The Avengers could even things up for the character well and fans would look back and immortalise the two films that lead into the cross-over. Maybe they do get around to The Avengers 2 we'd be focused on the other Avengers more (say 2 more Thor films in the interim?) It wouldn't be bad at all.

But if we absolutely must have an Iron Man 3, it should be someone who balances the humour and the action and the story perfectly. I think based on previous films and the current Marvel-Disney liaison, Gore Verbinski of the original Pirates trilogy could do a terrific job with the franchise. While the psuedo-science heavy world of Iron Man would give his sensibilities a new challenge, the established world of Iron Man would be equally enriched by a director that walks the line between real and supernatural.

I suppose there are finer science-fiction directors out there, but Verbinski was the first who comes to (my) mind.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #134
kedrell

Hmm, Verbinski? His Pirates movies were really kinda messes as far as making sense as cohesive stories. I tend to go with Mark Kermode on the Pirates movies. I think we'dwant a director who is very story/characterization conscious while having a good grasp of spectacle & action & integrated SFX. Someone who's comfortable with some ad-lib now and again to keep the character interaction as sharp as it's been so far. Hard to decide but I feel most comfortable with Matt Reeves so far of the names I've heard.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #135
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

I dunno about Mark Reeves, though yes Cloverfield was (from what I've heard) a pretty good monster film.

Verbinksi's films were entertaining and they captured the spirit of the pirates really well. As for Mark Kermode... I dunno, the man expects conventional films, I usually disagree with his interpretations.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:

Old 12-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #136
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Just the aesthetic influence of the Matrix is ginormous.

You would be deluded to deny that. Hell, the Matrix is the sole reason for Zack Snyder's existence.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:18 AM   #137
kedrell

Sure it was influential. Bullet-time, wire-fu & gun-fu became big, more's the pity.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:24 AM   #138
The Geek Vault
Come at me bro

I'm guessing Joss Whedon will take over, given that he will direct Avengers

Old 12-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #139
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

I'd rather Whedon remained consistent with The Avengers if Marvel does decide (and I know they will) to continue with these franchises. To each artist his own project, right?

Just wondering... in a possible Iron Man 3, shouldn't Favs return anyway as Happy Hogan?

Old 12-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #140
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

If the next film does feature the Mandarin and/or Fin Fang Foom (yowza!) I think a substantial amount of characterisation should be devoted to Tony's role as an inventor/sometimes looming mad scientist. I dunno, but as Howard Hughes proved a successful inspiration, why not go for a Nikola Tesla-esque take on the character? His experiences with The Avengers and now with a possible monster looming in the horizon would render his ravings similar to those of a mad man. Such a film wouldn't be dark and gritty in presentation, but perhaps only in certain themes? Has any one suggested Ridley Scott yet now that the guy's gone on record to 'go back to science fiction'? I want Tony to question his role as a scientist in a post-Avengers film.

The Duncan Jones suggestion, in turn, made me think of Danny Boyle's Sunshine, but he'd be way too gloomy (in presentation, not themes) for an Iron Man film. Barry Sonnenfeld is very familiar to the genre, I wonder if he would make a good IM director. The other guy who comes to mind, thanks to Downey Jr.'s involvement in Marvel recruiting, is Guy Ritchie.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #141
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
If the next film does feature the Mandarin and/or Fin Fang Foom (yowza!) I think a substantial amount of characterisation should be devoted to Tony's role as an inventor/sometimes looming mad scientist. I dunno, but as Howard Hughes proved a successful inspiration, why not go for a Nikola Tesla-esque take on the character? His experiences with The Avengers and now with a possible monster looming in the horizon would render his ravings similar to those of a mad man. Such a film wouldn't be dark and gritty in presentation, but perhaps only in certain themes? Has any one suggested Ridley Scott yet now that the guy's gone on record to 'go back to science fiction'? I want Tony to question his role as a scientist in a post-Avengers film.

The Duncan Jones suggestion, in turn, made me think of Danny Boyle's Sunshine, but he'd be way too gloomy (in presentation, not themes) for an Iron Man film. Barry Sonnenfeld is very familiar to the genre, I wonder if he would make a good IM director. The other guy who comes to mind, thanks to Downey Jr.'s involvement in Marvel recruiting, is Guy Ritchie.
Great idea, and what I would like to add to that is that The Mandarin should be not only an actual threat, but a huge threat. He should be the biggest threat Iron Man has ever had.

Remember, they did build him up in the first and second films (though the second film was more subvert). I truly believe that the Mandarin if done right could make for the best Iron Man film. He could be the first villain to push Stark to his limit and more.

The Mandarin, above everything, needs to be an international threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #142
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

I'd be great for Whedon to take over after Avengers. But I don't know if he would be up to it. Who knows, RDJ could have such a great time working with him, he'd ask him to do IM3 with him.

I wouldn't mind Verbinski but only POTC COTBP Verbinski. The script was the problem in the sequels.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #143
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

@ Parker Wayne, the international-level threat would be terrific. And with Iron Man's role as an Avenger, his presence would be on an international level, perhaps putting him directly on the Mandarin's way? The Ten Rings, like the League of Shadows, is only partially destroyed in the film(s).

@Doctor Jones, maybe it's just me but I really want Whedon to focus on The Avengers series and subsequent sequels (if any).

Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #144
Donut
Side-Kick

Knowing Marvel Brett Ratner

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #145
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
Knowing Marvel Brett Ratner
um...you know that was FOX, right? entirely different studio.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #146
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
um...you know that was FOX, right? entirely different studio.
Marvel Studios still had a say on that film

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #147
kedrell

Very little, actually. Fox was paying the bills and keeping most of the profits.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #148
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Brett Ratner would cast Jackie Chan as the Mandarin.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #149
NEXUS 6
Side-Kick

JJ Abrams or Duncan Jones. Accept no substitutes.

Unless that substitute is Favreau.

NEXUS 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #150
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS 6 View Post
JJ Abrams or Duncan Jones. Accept no substitutes.

Unless that substitute is Favreau.
Well its not gonna be JJ Abrams so you're only down to one choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote