The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: What should come next?
Nothing, it should lead into X1 2 2.25%
Continue with McAvoy finding Jean, Scott etc 52 58.43%
Continue but with the cast of characters they have now 30 33.71%
It shouldn't continue at all, I won't like it > 5 5.62%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2011, 12:19 AM   #26
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Default Re: X-men First Class Sequels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
All I want is for First Class to be good and for it to start a new trilogy.
This.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #27
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

It should continue with McAvoy finding Jean,Scott,etc.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #28
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

I bet they'll somewhat ignore the original movie timelines. Meaning X1 could and maybe happened, but the actual when is unimportant. For all we care it could've been the early 1980s. I honestly don't think audiences would be phased by that. I feel like as long as they don't cross some major boundary like introducing Nightcrawler or having Wolverine join earlier they'll otherwise be able to shift things a bit. I'd like to see Magneto find his kids. The introduction of Scott and Jean. Also the inclusion of Sentinels. I wouldn't mind seeing Cameron Hodge, Trask, Stephen Lang or Mr. Sinister as future villains. Shadow King would be good too, maybe the third movie and use him to introduce Storm.

I also would like to see Colossus thrown in. I feel his presence in X2 and X3 was minor enough that you can do whatever you wish in prequels with him.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #29
Angamb
Banned User

Id like to see this same cast on the sequel but adding just a few new roles, specially Polaris as part of Magneto's past.

Id want them to develop this subplot during two sequels.

Magneto MUST have a personal story on this franchise, so this is the perfect time.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #30
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I feel a bit worried at all the fanboys saying 'stick Cyclops, Jean, Sentinels, etc in the next film and it will be a surefire smash hit'

We've seen what Cyclops and Jean can do, wouldn't it be better to explore things we haven't seen before?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #31
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I feel a bit worried at all the fanboys saying 'stick Cyclops, Jean, Sentinels, etc in the next film and it will be a surefire smash hit'

We've seen what Cyclops and Jean can do, wouldn't it be better to explore things we haven't seen before?
Not if Cyclops is your favorite X-Man and you feel he's never gotten his due on screen yet.

Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #32
Lord
All Mighty

Look, don't worry about that, Vaugh said that if needed he will probably do another First CLass trilogy so the next film can be the continuation we are so anxiously waiting still set in the 60s with the 3rd maybe being set in the 70s.

The we can get a sequel trilogy with Jean and Scott, everybody wins

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #33
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
Not if Cyclops is your favorite X-Man and you feel he's never gotten his due on screen yet.
Regardless of whether he's 'gotten his due' he's already been in four X-Men films. We saw him joining Xavier in Wolverine, and we saw Jean meeting Xavier in X3. Even if those scenarios/movies aren't accepted by a majority of fans, i'm not sure it's a good use of screentime to keep going over the same ground over and over and over and over again.

I'd like to see some other surprise characters who would perhaps have figured in the early years of the team's formation. I feel the pleasure is in exploring what we haven't seen, as though hidden chapters have been uncovered.

At some point, Scott and Jean and Storm can be added but I don't see the need to rush them in, especially if the timeline also suggests it's rather too early at this stage.

We'll have to wait and see what the writers/producers/director have in mind for this next film. They may well choose to add Jean and Scott, we don't know at this stage. But you can't keep just adding characters in or the movie would be unworkable. Adding new people in would mean taking some people out.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #34
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

If Darwin doesn't come back I'll bet Storm will be in the sequel. The X-Men could use some diversity.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #35
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I'm just glad they are trying to get Vaughn back so at least we will have a bit more continuity for at least this trilogy. Cant wait to see what they come up with.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #36
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

It came 2 me the other night, that Magento's children need to be included, we still don't know much about his life after his teen to adults yrs. up to 1962

Now in order for this happen to we have to loose some Brotherhood characters, so we can make way for Wanda & Pietro (possibly Lorna) I for 1 would be glad to see Angel, Riptide go and perhaps Emma defects to being good possibly in part 3

But for a sequel the X-Men are now outnumbered I would like to see Scott & Ororo. We can have his and Alex's relationship unfold and maybe some sibling rivalry! Also we can see Beast/Storm start a 'relationship'

Now Jean can be saved for part 3! Her story could basically be how TLS intended it a powerful mutant, the next stage of evolution. We should be able to see 'hints' of her Phoenix persona and it would be great to have the Anne backstory.

far as plots; genosha, and sentinels

Phoenix_Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #37
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

It came 2 me the other night, that Magento's children need to be included, we still don't know much about his life after his teen to adults yrs. up to 1962

Now in order for this happen to we have to loose some Brotherhood characters, so we can make way for Wanda & Pietro (possibly Lorna) I for 1 would be glad to see Angel, Riptide go and perhaps Emma defects to being good possibly in part 3

But for a sequel the X-Men are now outnumbered I would like to see Scott & Ororo. We can have his and Alex's relationship unfold and maybe some sibling rivalry! Also we can see Beast/Storm start a 'relationship'

Now Jean can be saved for part 3! Her story could basically be how TLS intended it a powerful mutant, the next stage of evolution. We should be able to see 'hints' of her Phoenix persona and it would be great to have the Anne backstory.

far as plots; genosha, and sentinels

Phoenix_Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #38
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Look, don't worry about that, Vaugh said that if needed he will probably do another First CLass trilogy so the next film can be the continuation we are so anxiously waiting still set in the 60s with the 3rd maybe being set in the 70s.

The we can get a sequel trilogy with Jean and Scott, everybody wins
Two "First Class" trilogies would be amazing.

The timeline on FC really gives many posibilities, we saw what the X-men did between X1-X3...

but what about the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's??

that means 40 years of history!! 40!!

they could easily do a first trilogy with this same cast, adding Scott and Jean on the last sequel, and then starts the new one adding Storm, and continue it with all the x-men to date.

it would be a pretty great team:

Havok, Banshee, Beast, Cyclops, Jean and Storm.

Havok, Banshee and Beast should leave at some point, so they'll have a second trilogy to develop all this team story.

It all depends on when Fox decides to stop.

If the general audience keeps watching these movies, they could keep doing them.

so lets see what happens with the next sequel.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #39
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Things are moving faster on sequel that It did for X2 and Last Stand.Already a story has been devolped,Simon Kinberg Is starting work on first draft on sequel and Matthew Vaughn Is already In talks with studio.

The cast Is signed for 2 sequels so It IS only a question on who they want to bring back.With Vaughn returning odds are all characters who survived First Class will be back with 1 new X-Man being Introduced.Plus they might work In a preadmanturm Wolverine In some kind of appearance.Vaughn previsously mentioned Idea of a flashforward with Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellan.I also think Vaughn most likely back strongly hints at remaining In 1960's for sequel.

Rather Cyclops,Jean Grey,and Storm show up In trilogy will depend on how late In 1970's the third film would take place.I can very easy see them coming out and saying the trilogy(or X-Men/X2) taking place In mid to late 1990's which would allow them to get away with teenage Cyclops,Jean,and Storm In mid 1970's.And then we run Into problems with Cyclops and Jean with teenage Cyclops In Wolverine and Preteen Jean at begining of Last Stand. They are left with not Introducing them or simply saying Last Stand and Wolverine are no longer part of film cannon as some(Including me) have speculated.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #40
Lord
All Mighty

I wouldn't mind a retcon of that kind with x-1 and 2 taking place in the 90s as long as they eventually ended the storyline of the main trilogy with an x-4.

I'm sincerelly not on a rush to see Marvel Studios getting the x-men rights back as i think this universe can stand on it's oun and have it's oun franchise, in fact the franchise is right now split in 3 different film series: The First class Trilogy, the Wolverine movies and a possible Deadpool movie, not to mention the possibility of an x-4 and 5 .

I can't find now where they discussed that they might make a 2nd First Class trilogy but i like that idea as it leaves room for the characters and story to flow naturally during the course of the next films.

Another interesting fact is that First Class was aparently more of a prequel to x-1 and 2, the FC trilogy is being produced by Bryan Singer and he's interested in making an x-4 movie that leads to an x-5 movie, his original idea for x-3 was going to lead to an x-4 movie and i'm begining to believe that he may use this oportunity to make his vision of the Phoenix saga and to make Present of Future Past, one of his favourite storylines

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #41
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I personally cant see them going ahead with an X4 now, unless FC2 flops dramatically which I really cant see after the good will FC re-built in fans of the franchise.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #42
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I certainly see First Class more of prequel to X-Men and X2 than as prequel to trilogy.Even on DVD/Blu-Ray special features they referenced X-Men and X2 a lot more than they did the Last Stand.A Introduction of teenage Cyclops or Jean Grey has poential for major reconning of The Last Stand and Wolverine.If Bryan Singer Is Involved again In devolping the story and producing the sequel then contunity to earlier films will likely be handled as keeping X-Men and X2 In Line as much as possible Willing to Ignore things of Last Stand and Wolverine.

I remian skeptical we will get another Wolverine after The Wolverine.And If Deadpool doesn't go before the camers In 2012 It Is In trouble.

Considering the fact I consdier X-Men,X2,and First Class better than all of Marvel Studios efforts them getting X-Men rights doesn't Inspire me with much confidence.Fox Is not letting go of X-Men films anytime soon.You will daredevil and Fantastic Four back at Marvel before X-Men.With The Wolverine,Deadpool and First Class sequels In works Fox could continue to have X-Men properties through the Decade.Plus there are even chances of X4,and a sequel to the Wolverine.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:16 AM   #43
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I honestly dont mind Fox keeping hold of the rights as long as they keep churning out X1, X2 or FC quality of work, and after the X3 fiasco in 2006 I never thought I'd say that. But I just dont see X-Men fitting in well with the rest of the MCU, I never thought they really fit in with the comics world either. The X-Men seem much more unique than the rest of the MCU to me, always have.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #44
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Regardless of whether he's 'gotten his due' he's already been in four X-Men films. We saw him joining Xavier in Wolverine, and we saw Jean meeting Xavier in X3. Even if those scenarios/movies aren't accepted by a majority of fans, i'm not sure it's a good use of screentime to keep going over the same ground over and over and over and over again.
That just depends on your point of view of the X-Men. To me, Cyclops and Jean are the heart of the story. I don't see it as retreading the same ground if Cyclops never had much character in the films to begin with. It seems to me what you're looking for is different mutants so that new powers and visuals can be displayed. That's fine if it's what you're looking for, but I'd prefer to keep to the characters already established and actually DEVELOP them. Five movies and we've only gotten real development from Wolverine, Magneto, Xavier, and to a lesser extent Rogue and Mystique.

Quote:
But you can't keep just adding characters in or the movie would be unworkable. Adding new people in would mean taking some people out.
Exactly. So why keep adding brand new characters whose backgrounds need to be further explored than, say, Cyclops or Jean, who are at least somewhat established?

Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #45
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
That just depends on your point of view of the X-Men. To me, Cyclops and Jean are the heart of the story. I don't see it as retreading the same ground if Cyclops never had much character in the films to begin with. It seems to me what you're looking for is different mutants so that new powers and visuals can be displayed. That's fine if it's what you're looking for, but I'd prefer to keep to the characters already established and actually DEVELOP them. Five movies and we've only gotten real development from Wolverine, Magneto, Xavier, and to a lesser extent Rogue and Mystique.

Exactly. So why keep adding brand new characters whose backgrounds need to be further explored than, say, Cyclops or Jean, who are at least somewhat established?
You're right, they should develop pre-established characters. Which is why they should keep the same cast they have now with only one or two new additions. Right now the heart of the story is Erik and Charles, but I imagine in the sequel the three boys will get a lot of development too. Maybe we see Hank turn angry and bitter. Bitter about his appearance, angry at Raven on Charles' behalf (who I can't see getting properly angry at her). Alex perhaps taking on a leader role (maybe it runs in the family?), Sean growing more mature.

The cool thing about these guys is the very fact that they aren't major characters. Which means they can develop pretty much any way they need to. When you start introducing Jean and Cyclops, there are huge expectations and huge storylines to start hinting at setting up. They'd start to overrun the movie. They had their chance and screentime in the old movies, and I really can't see any necessity for them in the XMFC universe other than perhaps a quick cameo. There's nothing they can add to it. There are hundreds of other interesting mutants who might fit the plot better, and all steps should be taken to put THOSE ones in rather than awkwardly working the plot to allow for a couple of fanboy favorites.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #46
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
That just depends on your point of view of the X-Men. To me, Cyclops and Jean are the heart of the story.
Cyclops and Jean were never the heart of the X-Men, either in the comics or on screen. The core of the X-Men story is the Xavier/Magneto dynamic, the choice between good and evil.

Cyclops and Jean were really just a subplot. Jean had her moment in the Phoenix Saga but other than that, she is not the foundation on which the X-Men is built.

They may be your favourite characters but that doesn't mean they should dominate. Seeing them eventually would be fine but right now it's not essential to rush them into the story and bring things right up to the way they started in X1. Let's have some time and some breathing space to let the story move along organically without sticking in the familiar team members from the other films just yet.

Quote:
It seems to me what you're looking for is different mutants so that new powers and visuals can be displayed. That's fine if it's what you're looking for, but I'd prefer to keep to the characters already established and actually DEVELOP them. Five movies and we've only gotten real development from Wolverine, Magneto, Xavier, and to a lesser extent Rogue and Mystique.
I don't see my main demand as being 'new powers and visuals' although that is a consideration rather than rehashing or repeating. It's more to do with exploring these early years of Xavier and Magneto.

You're right that many characters haven't had much development but that is to be expected in an ensemble. It's simply impossible to give everyone an important, fully fleshed-out part of the story, so some people end up in smaller roles.

I would imagine they would wait before putting Jean, Scott and Storm into this new franchise. That may be partly because it wasn't that long ago that we saw Xavier and Magneto meeting a young Jean, and Xavier rescuing Scott. And also to make the timeline make some kind of vague sense. Jean and Scott aren't be the right age to be X-Men in the 60s.

Quote:
So why keep adding brand new characters whose backgrounds need to be further explored than, say, Cyclops or Jean, who are at least somewhat established?
As I said, for the timeline and also for bringing a fresh approach. I'm sure we will see Scott, Jean and Storm at some point but does it need to be right away in the very next film? I'd argue that it doesn't.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:41 AM   #47
merbass
Side-Kick

I want to see the sequel focusing on the mutants at the end of XFC, both X-men and brotherhood. May be a few new one recruited by the X-men, but not Jeans, Storm or Cyclop. Cyclops should be Havok's son (for continuity purpose). There are so many stories to tell from the characters that we have now. I remember Vaugn mentioned that for the sequel, he will only introduce 1 or 2 new characters which i think is the best direction !

merbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #48
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Cyclops and Jean were never the heart of the X-Men, either in the comics or on screen.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. As for the rest, I'm mostly playing Devil's advocate with you. While I do love Cyclops, I'm okay with new elements as well. The main thing I want is for XMFC 2 to feature Mr. Sinister and lead into Apocalypse with the third film. Outside of that, I don't care what they do.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #49
ripse
Spider-Man_Blue

Let's continue recruit scott, jean & anothers...in sequel

ripse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #50
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Lantern View Post
It should continue with McAvoy finding Jean,Scott,etc.
I'm thinking this. I really enjoyed First Class. The best of the X-Men franchise IMO. Straight after seeing it I hoped they'd follow it up.

The origins aspect worked a treat for me. I connected with the characters a lot more, and it provided entertaining and poignant moments of self discovery. The film struck a nice accessible balance in that sense. It was fun and also dark and serious when needed. And when that tense stuff goes down, it's Fassbender up close and personal. He had such a strong presence throughout the film.

The 1960s vibe worked for me big time as well. The fact it passed off so well (the interiors and overall look) was quite a feat for a 2011 film. I'm not saying it's a perfect film, but I cannot see how any short comings outweigh the positives. It's one of my favourite comic book adaptions.

AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote