The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 08-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #801
Bat-Mite
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Tuscon Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatJakz View Post
Who seriously cares about Gifford? Who during their normal day wonders, "I wonder how Giffords is doing?" People are shot all the time. It is part of the second Amendment. It's not like she was smart enough to solve the country's problems. She was just another vote. I'm glad she's alive because everyone should live a natural life. But she represents nothing. She's a single unimportant person. I'm glad she is alive, but she isn't special.
If there's a topic about a subject or person that doesn't interest you, it makes more sense to merely pass that topic by than to enter the topic and preach at people about how wrong they are for being interested in the subject or person. I'm sure that your opinion is just as insignificant to the people that do care about Giffords' recovery as Giffords herself is to you.

Bat-Mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #802
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatJakz View Post
- That's my point. Because she held a specific job description, we should honor her. What did she do? If you show me how she improved Americans lives I will honor her. Otherwise, she is just a normal American story. She did nothing.
Well, yeah, it is because of her job description. This isn't just a "normal American story", what ever that means. It wasn't a drug deal gone wrong, or a jilted lover. She is an elected official targeted for political reasons. Sure, as a person, she's no better than anyone else, but the cirumstances behind her shooting is what makes it "more news worthy", for lack of a better description.

bell110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #803
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Lightbulb Re: The Tuscon Shooting

According to the AP, the judge overseeing the Jared Loughner case is currently considering an extension of treatment for Loughner.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #804
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

UPDATE: REPRESENTATIVE GIFFORDS TO ATTEND RETIREMENT CEREMONY FOR HUSBAND AT WHITE HOUSE
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...house-ceremony

Old 11-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #805
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

The first interview with Representative Giffords since the shooting airs tonight on ABC at 10pm. It is a special edition of 20/20 with Diane Sawyer.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #806
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

...such an incredible woman. And tv special.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #807
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Discussion: The DEMOCRATIC Party II

Gabby Giffords has announced that she will not run for re-election.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #808
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Discussion: The DEMOCRATIC Party II

I can't say that I'm surprised. She has made excellent progress but she still has a very long way to go.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #809
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

According to the AP, the Navy has announced that it will honor Representative Giffords with a combat ship named for her.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #810
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
...such an incredible woman. And tv special.
Really? You're sure you're not just saying that because she got shot in the head and survived?

Nobody gave a crap about Gabby Giffords before she was shot. In office she was just another Blue Dog Democrat. I agree 100% with BatJakz. People go on shooting sprees all the time in America. How many victims of gun violence die every year? But the media focuses its attention on Giffords purely because of the political office she occupies.

Naming an aircraft carrier after her takes the cake. In the last few decades aircraft carriers have generally been named after presidents or senators who had been in Washington for 50 years or so. Naming one after somebody because they got shot is something new. Let me know when they christen the USS Oscar Grant.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #811
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

I think naming an aircraft carrier after her is also going way overboard....so to speak, but she was not just another Blue Dog Democrat. She was very good friends with the most liberal woman (even more liberal than Pelosi) in the House and the most conservative woman in the House.....she was very well respected by both sides of the aisle.....that cannot be said of many in the House or the Senate. She was one of the few representatives that truly went to the people for information on what they thought, how they thought, etc.....I knew of her long before the shooting, and respected her for her stand on many issues.

Is she incredible because she took a bullet to the head and survived....yes, kind of a duh.

Is she an inspiration to many....yes.

Whether or not you agree or disagree as to "how incredible" she is, really is just your opinion, and others are certainly able to have their own without being questioned....

Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #812
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I think naming an aircraft carrier after her is also going way overboard....so to speak, but she was not just another Blue Dog Democrat. She was very good friends with the most liberal woman (even more liberal than Pelosi) in the House and the most conservative woman in the House.....she was very well respected by both sides of the aisle.....that cannot be said of many in the House or the Senate. She was one of the few representatives that truly went to the people for information on what they thought, how they thought, etc.....I knew of her long before the shooting, and respected her for her stand on many issues.
I don't care if she farted rainbows, she's just another cog in the legislative machine of the corporate state. And saying she's "good friends" with someone who is "more liberal than Pelosi"?

[slow clap] Bravo.

When Nancy Pelosi is your barometer for progressive ideals, you're setting the bar pretty damn low, my friend.

Quote:
Is she incredible because she took a bullet to the head and survived....yes, kind of a duh.
Is it incredible that she survived? Absolutely. But why do people act like that's some kind of personal achievement? She had the best doctors available and it was thanks to their skill that she survived. Give her credit for willpower if you want.

Quote:
Is she an inspiration to many....yes.
Why, because she was shot in the head and survived? Or because of her actual legislative record?

Quote:
Whether or not you agree or disagree as to "how incredible" she is, really is just your opinion, and others are certainly able to have their own without being questioned....
It's funny how you say that with a straight face while questioning my opinion.

News flash: this is a discussion forum. The whole point is for people to question and debate each other's opinions.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #813
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

I would strongly enoucrage you to lose the abrasive attitude Axl. It's really not needed. You seem like a smart person. I'm sure you're more than capable of getting your points across in a more respectful manner.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #814
Spider-Man Luvr28
Amazing.

Jared Lee Loughner pleaded guilty Tuesday to going on a shooting rampage at a political gathering, killing six people and wounding his intended target, then-Congresswoman Gabriele Giffords, and 12 others.

Loughner's plea spares him the death penalty and came soon after a federal judge found that months of forcibly medicating him to treat his schizophrenia had made the 23-year-old college dropout competent to understand the gravity of the charges and assist in his defense.

Under the plea, he will be sentenced to life in federal prison without the possibility of parole. His sentencing was scheduled for Nov. 15.

The outcome was welcomed by some victims, including Giffords herself, as a way to avoid a lengthy, possibly traumatic trial and years of legal wrangling over a death sentence.

"The pain and loss caused by the events of Jan. 8, 2011, are incalculable," Giffords said in a joint statement with her husband, Mark Kelly. "Avoiding a trial will allow us — and we hope the whole Southern Arizona community — to continue with our recovery."

Pietz testified for an hour about how she believes Loughner became competent. Loughner listened calmly without expression. His arms were crossed over his stomach, lurched slightly forward and looking straight at Pietz.

At one point, he smiled and nodded when psychologist mentioned he had a special bond with one of the prison guards.

On "CBS This Morning" before Tuesday's hearing, attorney Brian Levin, of the Center for Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino, said both the defense and prosecution find a plea bargain appealing.

"In exchange he's going to get life in prison, and that's the key here," Levin said. "The federal government gets him to admit that what he did is wrong and that he knew it, and the defense gets to save his life."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...pleads-guilty/

Spider-Man Luvr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #815
rozidays
Banned User

This guy was obviously mentally ill. From what school officials and other students have said, he also had what seems like a behavioral or personality disorder. I do believe that Tea Party politics along with the extremism that AZ is becoming known for played a very small role in all of this. But I'm not going to put the blame on the conservatives because like I said, it had more to do with the fact that this guy Jared was mentally unstable
**Are you into spamming and banning....I bet you are...the spam link you have been putting into all your posts has been removed....you may also note that you are banned....oh noes.....**

Last edited by C. Lee; 08-15-2012 at 12:15 PM.
rozidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #816
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

UPDATE: LOUGHNER SENTENCED TO LIFE IN PRISON
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/08...ing/?hpt=hp_t1

Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #817
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator