The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Old 08-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #76
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Default Re: The Documentary Thread

Also The Joan Rivers documentary, I think it was called A Piece of Work, was a pretty interesting doc about the life of a comedian.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #77
Travesty
TEOL

I forgot about this thread. The last few that I've watched are:

-Transcendent Man

-American: The Bill Hicks Story

Both were great.

Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #78
obin_gam
Side-Kick

Until the light takes us

About the origin of the norwegian black metal scene in the early 90s with Varg Vikernes' church burnings, the murder of Euronomus, and the music itself. Very very enthralling about one of the most interesting music genres of modern time.

Am alsopsyched for the upcoming documetary about the industrial metal band Ministry and its creator Al Jourgensen, called "fix". Dont know really when its due out but I cant wait for it!

- Gene Wilder

Last edited by obin_gam; 08-03-2011 at 05:18 PM.
obin_gam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #79
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
Also The Joan Rivers documentary, I think it was called A Piece of Work, was a pretty interesting doc about the life of a comedian.
i saw that what it is on netflix streaming, i really liked it. kind of surprising how hard she has to work just to stay in the public eye. he will go anywhere.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #80
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obin_gam View Post
Until the light takes us

About the origin of the norwegian black metal scene in the early 90s with Varg Vikernes' church burnings, the murder of Euronomus, and the music itself. Very very enthralling about one of the most interesting music genres of modern time.

Am alsopsyched for the upcoming documetary about the industrial metal band Ministry and its creator Al Jourgensen, called "fix". Dont know really when its due out but I cant wait for it!
sounds cool im gonna check that one out, i saw a doc about the history of metal. it showed some stuff about the norwegian black metal and interviewed some guy who killed someone. it might have been the same guy i don't remember his name, but they did mention church burnings.

heavy metal in Baghdad is pretty good, as well as the taqwacore: the birth of punk islam. there are 2 taqwacores i've only seen the birth of punk islam one. not the other one just called taqwacore.

Last edited by misjuevos; 08-03-2011 at 06:56 PM.
misjuevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #81
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post

-Transcendent Man

Both were great.
I'm interested in seeing both of them.

Quote:
Until the light takes us

Sounds interesting.
Also on a related note, I think that a "Dragon Tattoo" type thriller, set within that subculture, could be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misjuevos View Post
sounds cool im gonna check that one out, i saw a doc about the history of metal. it showed some stuff about the norwegian black metal and interviewed some guy who killed someone. it might have been the same guy i don't remember his name, but they did mention church burnings.

heavy metal in Baghdad is pretty good, as well as the taqwacore: the birth of punk islam. there are 2 taqwacores i've only seen the birth of punk islam one. not the other one just called taqwacore.
Cool. I like Metal. Saw a great four parts doc on MTV a while back about Metal, I particularly enjoyed the 1st one about the birth of Metal with Black Sabbath in Birmingham, it was a great story.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #82
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Trust me, both are great, and if you have Netflix, you can stream both.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #83
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Thanks

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 08-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #84
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

Quote:

Sounds interesting.
Also on a related note, I think that a "Dragon Tattoo" type thriller, set within that subculture, could be cool.

Cool. I like Metal. Saw a great four parts doc on MTV a while back about Metal, I particularly enjoyed the 1st one about the birth of Metal with Black Sabbath in Birmingham, it was a great story.
not sure i have seen that one gonna have to look it up, sounds familiar though.
Quote:
Trust me, both are great, and if you have Netflix, you can stream both.
yea just added that black metal doc gonna watch it, netflix has tons of docs.

also got the documentary channel on tv so i see alot from there too. saw one called word wars it's about scrabble players who compete at tournaments. also saw one about people who "play" air guitars. called air guitar nation.

but in keeping with the recent music talk, i saw a doc a few years ago called rock school. it's is about kids who learn to play classic rock, really alot of great music in it and some of the kids are amazing musicians.

Last edited by misjuevos; 08-04-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #85
Max J Power
Trash Boat

Did anyone watch HDNet Movies' premiere of "Magic Trip" (about Ken Kesey and the Merry Band of Pranksters) last night? I fell asleep halfway through it, but it was pretty interesting up to that. It wasn't that insightful from what I saw, but it gave a candid look at the hippie culture.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #86
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max J Power View Post
Did anyone watch HDNet Movies' premiere of "Magic Trip" (about Ken Kesey and the Merry Band of Pranksters) last night? I fell asleep halfway through it, but it was pretty interesting up to that. It wasn't that insightful from what I saw, but it gave a candid look at the hippie culture.
Sounds cool.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 08-05-2011, 03:04 AM   #87
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

Quote:
Until the light takes us

just saw this one. i really enjoyed it. i got a whole new perspective then what i got from the movie i was talking about. the movie i first saw this in was called
metal: a headbanger's journey. this is a good doc about the history of metal. but after seeing until the light takes us i now see the whole picture about norwegian black metal. this clip shows the part of metal: a headbanger's journey about the black metal in norway.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
it's funny that one of the guys talks about being a satanist in this clip. in until the light takes us it is clearly explained by varg that the 90's church burnings had nothing to do with satanism. they just wanted to preserve their heritage. the church and the media claimed it was satanist so that became popular belief. then a new generation became black metal satanist and completely missed the original message. which was to preserve their nordic heritage by worshiping the old gods and not the new god under christianity.

this was very fascinating movie (until the light takes us). there are some crazy people out there, lol. reality is sometimes weirder than anyone could write.

after watching that i needed a change of pace so i watched "once in a lifetime" the story of the new york cosmos. it's about the soccer team from the 70's. really an eye opener.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #88
obin_gam
Side-Kick

Quote:
just saw this one. i really enjoyed it. i got a whole new perspective then what i got from the movie i was talking about. the movie i first saw this in was called
metal: a headbanger's journey. this is a good doc about the history of metal. but after seeing until the light takes us i now see the whole picture about norwegian black metal. this clip shows the part of metal: a headbanger's journey about the black metal in norway.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
it's funny that one of the guys talks about being a satanist in this clip. in until the light takes us it is clearly explained by varg that the 90's church burnings had nothing to do with satanism. they just wanted to preserve their heritage. the church and the media claimed it was satanist so that became popular belief. then a new generation became black metal satanist and completely missed the original message. which was to preserve their nordic heritage by worshiping the old gods and not the new god under christianity.

this was very fascinating movie (until the light takes us). there are some crazy people out there, lol. reality is sometimes weirder than anyone could write.

after watching that i needed a change of pace so i watched "once in a lifetime" the story of the new york cosmos. it's about the soccer team from the 70's. really an eye opener.
Glad you liked it! I agree that it really opens your mind about what the music itself is really all about and its quite funny to see how a misuderstanding (paganism -> satanism) with the help of media can evolve a genra and its perception.
There is another fairly interesting -- not as good or well made as Until the light... but its a worthy sit through -- about the band Mayhem called Pure F****ng Mayhem which also talks about that era in the 90s but its more about the band itself and its members (particular the singer Dead and his suicide).

I just love that whole era and the mystique surrounding the genra. It's so evil and dark, it's like out of a horrofilm, but its real youknow?

- Gene Wilder

Last edited by obin_gam; 08-06-2011 at 09:03 AM.
obin_gam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #89
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

Quote:
Glad you liked it! I agree that it really opens your mind about what the music itself is really all about and its quite funny to see how a misuderstanding (paganism -> satanism) with the help of media can evolve a genra and its perception.
There is another fairly interesting -- not as good or well made as Until the light... but its a worthy sit through -- about the band Mayhem called Pure F****ng Mayhem which also talks about that era in the 90s but its more about the band itself and its members (particular the singer Dead and his suicide).

I just love that whole era and the mystique surrounding the genra. It's so evil and dark, it's like out of a horrofilm, but its real youknow?
i will try to look that one up.

i just watched the new documentary superheroes. saw the info about it from the hyper front page. it caught my attention. it was really a pretty good look at real life superheroes. at first some of them felt super creepy to me, but then you get the whole story of what they do. all in all i felt it was a good portrayal of them. their message comes across very well.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #90
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
i will try to look that one up.

i just watched the new documentary superheroes. saw the info about it from the hyper front page. it caught my attention. it was really a pretty good look at real life superheroes. at first some of them felt super creepy to me, but then you get the whole story of what they do. all in all i felt it was a good portrayal of them. their message comes across very well.
Just watched that one too. pretty interesting...and disturbing at the same time.I have to say that the only ones that didn't came across as complete tools are the New York initiatives.

Even though their methods are questionable-just like the rest of the people featured here-they seem somewhat sane.Unlike that master legend guy.If you look at the word'crazy'in the dictionary, you'll probably see his pic right beside it.

I also like how they handled the drunk driver situation.That martial art guy seems also somewhat sane.That said,it's only a matter of time before someone gets really hurt.

I wonder though...if one of their major reason for doing this is dressing up like superheroes, why not just go to Mann chinese theatre and be a street performer? like thos guys on 'confession of a superhero'and 'the reinactors'

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #91
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
Just watched that one too. pretty interesting...and disturbing at the same time.I have to say that the only ones that didn't came across as complete tools are the New York initiatives.

Even though their methods are questionable-just like the rest of the people featured here-they seem somewhat sane.Unlike that master legend guy.If you look at the word'crazy'in the dictionary, you'll probably see his pic right beside it.

I also like how they handled the drunk driver situation.That martial art guy seems also somewhat sane.That said,it's only a matter of time before someone gets really hurt.

I wonder though...if one of their major reason for doing this is dressing up like superheroes, why not just go to Mann chinese theatre and be a street performer? like thos guys on 'confession of a superhero'and 'the reinactors'
i think you might have missed the overall message of what they do. the scene of comic con going on and the heroes like a mile away doing something good sums it up. they don't just dress up, they really want to help people.

yea master legend is kind of a creepy. old man with a van who has treats for kids, lol. but then you get to see what he does for the homeless and his charity. that is what really turned me around on him and all these people. the charity stuff.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #92
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
i think you might have missed the overall message of what they do. the scene of comic con going on and the heroes like a mile away doing something good sums it up. they don't just dress up, they really want to help people.

yea master legend is kind of a creepy. old man with a van who has treats for kids, lol. but then you get to see what he does for the homeless and his charity. that is what really turned me around on him and all these people. the charity stuff.
I understand what they're trying to accomplish.My point is, like that policewoman said, they could've done that without the theatrics.In the long run,they will get themselves hurt.It's not a question of IF but WHEN.

Take what the NY initiatives does...the whole baiting criminals thing.While the idea itself is noble,what would they do if the muggers turn around and point a gun at them?the idea of doing something for the community is in itself is great, but you gotta admit that doing that while dressing like a cartoon character made the whole thing questionable. How can it be a selfless act when at the same time you call attention to yourself by dressing like that, you know what i mean?

By the way..have you seen confession of a superhero and the reinactors?

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #93
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
I understand what they're trying to accomplish.My point is, like that policewoman said, they could've done that without the theatrics.In the long run,they will get themselves hurt.It's not a question of IF but WHEN.

Take what the NY initiatives does...the whole baiting criminals thing.While the idea itself is noble,what would they do if the muggers turn around and point a gun at them?the idea of doing something for the community is in itself is great, but you gotta admit that doing that while dressing like a cartoon character made the whole thing questionable. How can it be a selfless act when at the same time you call attention to yourself by dressing like that, you know what i mean?

By the way..have you seen confession of a superhero and the reinactors?
there were some people who wouldn't go on film, they wanted to remain anonymous. some of these people also probably use the personae just to do charity so if it helps them to do it it's not a problem. but you are right about the ones trying to fight crime, i am waiting to hear about one of those guys from the park getting stabbed or shot. like the cameraman.

yea i saw the confessions of a superhero, now that superman is creepy. he wants to be famous so bad it's scary. all his memorabilia is crazy. i bet the documentary didn't help him either, it probably drove him more into fantasy.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #94
nimrodson
Side-Kick

Quote:

-Transcendent Man

Both were great.
I liked American. Then I watched his stand-up special Sane Man and was not impressed. It's like he was really intelligent and on fire for about an hour, and then it degraded into sex jokes. And they weren't even funny sex jokes. I get he was supposed to be "in your face," but some of that last hour was just awful.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #95
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrodson View Post
I liked American. Then I watched his stand-up special Sane Man and was not impressed. It's like he was really intelligent and on fire for about an hour, and then it degraded into sex jokes. And they weren't even funny sex jokes. I get he was supposed to be "in your face," but some of that last hour was just awful.
As much as I respect Bill Hicks for his outlook on comedy, his material really hasn't aged as well, as say, George Carlin. Some of it is really good, but some of it is just rants, with absolutely no punch lines. He's a mixed bag, IMO. I know people who adore him, and I also know people who totally hate him. I'm in the middle.

But anyways, any kind of comedy documentarys are good in my book. I love stand up.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #96
nimrodson
Side-Kick

Quote:
As much as I respect Bill Hicks for his outlook on comedy, his material really hasn't aged as well, as say, George Carlin. Some of it is really good, but some of it is just rants, with absolutely no punch lines. He's a mixed bag, IMO. I know people who adore him, and I also know people who totally hate him. I'm in the middle.

But anyways, any kind of comedy documentarys are good in my book. I love stand up.
Oh yeah, I see what you're saying absolutely. Some of the stuff he was on was hilarious. Like the more bitter, the better. I guess I would count myself somewhere in the middle as well.

I'm the type of person who if I see someone, ANYONE on TV doing stand up I will give them a minute, usually the whole set. I'm about to watch The Comedians of Comedy with Patton Oswalt (frickin' genius IMO) and Zach Galifnianeiasusksusas. Sp? He's dope, too.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #97
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrodson View Post
Oh yeah, I see what you're saying absolutely. Some of the stuff he was on was hilarious. Like the more bitter, the better. I guess I would count myself somewhere in the middle as well.

I'm the type of person who if I see someone, ANYONE on TV doing stand up I will give them a minute, usually the whole set. I'm about to watch The Comedians of Comedy with Patton Oswalt (frickin' genius IMO) and Zach Galifnianeiasusksusas. Sp? He's dope, too.
That's a good one too. Which one is it? They have a few. The one where it follows them is the more interesting one, and then they have one where it's just straight stand-up. Both are good, though.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #98
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

you should check out heckler, or the aristocrats. 2 good documentaries one about being heckled. the other one is many comedians telling the same dirty joke and discussing its history.

some different docs i liked were trekkies 1 and 2. it is about star trek fans and the various star trek cast's take on them. i like some of the bands in part 2

Last edited by misjuevos; 08-16-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #99
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
you should check out heckler, or the aristocrats. 2 good documentaries one about being heckled. the other one is many comedians telling the same dirty joke and discussing its history.
Yeah, Heckler is pretty good. I'm not a fan of the aristocrats joke, so I didn't really like that one so much.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #100
nimrodson
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's a good one too. Which one is it? They have a few. The one where it follows them is the more interesting one, and then they have one where it's just straight stand-up. Both are good, though.
I believe it's the one where it follows them around. It's the one that's on Netflix streaming.

Quote:
you should check out heckler, or the aristocrats. 2 good documentaries one about being heckled. the other one is many comedians telling the same dirty joke and discussing its history
Yeah, I'll check those out. I remember hearing about the Aristocrats. Thanks for the suggestions!