The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #26
Maximus One
Oddball

Default Re: Wanting to get into some good anime

Damn, you guys have been alot of help! Much appreciated! I haven't gotten around to any series yet but I am curious about Neon Genesis Evangelion. Looked it up on wikipedia just to get an idea about it and all the mention of religious symbolism and psychological themes got me interested in it. So how is it?

Old 03-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #27
Tron Bonne
Trying Not To Look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
Damn, you guys have been alot of help! Much appreciated! I haven't gotten around to any series yet but I am curious about Neon Genesis Evangelion. Looked it up on wikipedia just to get an idea about it and all the mention of religious symbolism and psychological themes got me interested in it. So how is it?
It's quite good, but some don't care a lot for it. If you decide to check it out, I do have a bit of advice for you: Put it at the top of the list. Not because it's just that good that you must, but it was a pretty groundbreaking series at its time and has kind of become one of those series that's been ripped off and ingested by so much, it's almost difficult to not have the effect dulled. Since you're fairly new to it and all, you can maybe avoid that and see how you feel about it without that baggage.

I do warn, though, it's not a series that has much in the way of what many would consider satisfactory answers, and both endings (the series and the movie) are generally disliked a lot. They are remaking the series in some new films that have been well received thus far. There's four planned, and two have been released. The first one has hit America, with the second coming at the end of this month. The next two will be released later this year.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.

Last edited by Tron Bonne; 03-07-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #28
Max J Power
Trash Boat

Quote:
I love it. Like Tron said, some found the story's ending unsatisfying (you may not, of course), but if you want psychological themes, you've got them in spades.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #29
Maximus One
Oddball

Cool, thanx guys. Im definitely gonna have to check it out but first series on my list is Death Note. Ive heard its amazing. Picked up Perfect Blue and Spirited Away this weekend, can't wait to check em out

Old 03-13-2011, 01:00 AM   #30
Max J Power
Trash Boat

Death Note is certainly worth watch through once, but it might be kind of a hard sell for a second viewing. The writing can be overly expository and the show's more typically shonen plot elements (particularly the characters' grandiose speeches) can be a little much. Still, the more important characters have very good development and the plot is really enjoyable for much of the run.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:47 AM   #31
Maximus One
Oddball

Just started Death Note and I am loving it! Just about done with the first ep and I can tell this is gonna get really good

Old 03-13-2011, 01:51 AM   #32
Maximus One
Oddball

Oh and Ryuk is f'n great

Old 03-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #33
Maximus One
Oddball

Ok seriously, I'm on ep 11 of Death Note and I am just engulfed in this ****. No joke, just this far in with 22 minute episode, not accounting for credits, this show is better than Dexter. All 60, hour long episodes of Dexter thus far pail in comparison to this. The battle of wits between Light and L is just some of the most brilliant, cohesive, concise and engaging writing I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning

Old 03-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #34
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Quote:
Ok seriously, I'm on ep 11 of Death Note and I am just engulfed in this ****. No joke, just this far in with 22 minute episode, not accounting for credits, this show is better than Dexter. All 60, hour long episodes of Dexter thus far pail in comparison to this. The battle of wits between Light and L is just some of the most brilliant, cohesive, concise and engaging writing I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning

Yeah Death Note was great. I won't spoil it. But the 2nd half of the series gets really intense.

Last edited by rashad; 03-15-2011 at 11:56 PM.
rashad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #35
K'Prime
Beast mode

cowboy bebop
afro Samurai
trigun
outlaw star
code geass
full metal alchemist brother hood

K'Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #36
Hiddensymbols
Side-Kick

I recommend Ergo Proxy, It is my favorite and im not crazy into anime either.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #37
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Princess Mononoke is a must. I also enjoyed Karas 1 and 2. Spirited Away is also very good.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #38
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

This is my favourite anime ever, its a two part movie

Also Dragonball Z is great aswell

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #39
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

I know you were looking into movies, but when you get around to watching series', I'd have to recommend Cowboy Bebop. It's the best anime I've ever seen. Neon Genesis Evangelion was really good, too. I know you said you were looking for a gory anime and while I haven't watched much of it, a couple of my friends swear by Blood+. I've actually been meaning to check it out myself.

WalkingDeadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #40
Maximus One
Oddball

Ive been watching Death Note and I've watched a few movies so far. Got Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Perfect Blue lined up right now. I'm loving Death Note, on ep 23 or 24 now and just WOW! This show has taken some twists and turns I would've never expected AT ALL! I just wanna know where the hell Ryuk has been since L relinquished the death note, can't wait till he gets it back and regains his memories. I know one thing though Misa (sp?) gets on my nerves a bit, I usually don't say that about most female characters but just her entire persona and that she is a celebrity is just kinda meh.

Ive read great things about Neon Genesis Evangelion but not sure if I'd like it or not but I might check it out next. I've seen a few eps of Cowboy Bebop back when I was locked up in '07 and Adult Swim and yea I definitely plan on checkin it out. I've heard really good things about Trigun as well.

How is Paranoia Agent? I read up on it a bit on wikipedia and it sounds interesting, at least the premise does.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #41
Tron Bonne
Trying Not To Look...

Quote:
Ive read great things about Neon Genesis Evangelion but not sure if I'd like it or not but I might check it out next. I've seen a few eps of Cowboy Bebop back when I was locked up in '07 and Adult Swim and yea I definitely plan on checkin it out. I've heard really good things about Trigun as well.
Eva is great, as I mentioned, but if anything else in the possibly negative spikes at you, proceed with; there really isn't any middle ground with those things.

Quote:
How is Paranoia Agent? I read up on it a bit on wikipedia and it sounds interesting, at least the premise does.
It's great but pretty heavily psychologically driven. The basic thing to keep in mind about it is that the director (who is also the director of Perfect Blue, by the way) essentially took all of these ideas he had that he never developed and put them all together. So, in general, there's a ton of plot lines, and some of the stuff only has very loose ties with the broad picture in the end.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:54 AM   #42
Maximus One
Oddball

DAMN! I can't believe L from Death Note went out like that! I am absolutely clueless what to expect now

Old 03-24-2011, 02:29 AM   #43
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

...is in the middle of watching Death Note for the first time and was spoilerized.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #44
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Ive always liked The Professional: Golgo 13

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:06 AM   #45
Maximus One
Oddball

Sorry bro

Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #46
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Quote:
Sorry bro
Haha why dont you like it??

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #47
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Quote:
DAMN! I can't believe L from Death Note went out like that! I am absolutely clueless what to expect now
Watch the spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet.

rashad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #48
The Cocreator
Side-Kick

Tv anime you should watch Dragon Ball, One Piece, Urusei Yatsura, Cowboy Beboop and Lupin III

The Cocreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #49
childeroland
Side-Kick

Also, check out To Aru Majutsu no Index, if you're looking for a massive world to dive into. Very, very good.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #50
Mario_Galaxy
Side-Kick

I too have been looking for some great anime to get into. I recently fulfilled my desire to own Yu Yu Hakusho, my favorite anime, on DVD and now I'm looking towards new series to get into. This thread has been a lot of help.

Mario_Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote