The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #76
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Default Re: Official First Class News & Speculation Thread - Part 1

I think constructive support works better than a boycott ever will. If they make crap films, people are gonna let em know. It's almost universally established that XMO:W was awful and I think handing the controls back over to Singer and Vaughn and giving Aronofsky a shot may be an indication that Fox may want to up the ante. Good enough isn't good enough with the likes of Iron Man, Thor and Cap on the way. With that said, I throw my support behind the filmmakers of the upcoming X-Films and am optimistic that we'll get something great!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #77
Wolverine1988
Side-Kick

I think it's a fact that the X-men fanbase has the biggest morons of any fanbase out there.

Nothing pleases these *******s.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #78
The Original Bamfer
Sassneto

I'm a fan and, so far, I'm quite pleased.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #79
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

As am I

Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #80
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mast View Post
I didn't like X-Men, but I gave them a shot with X-Men 2. The Nightcrawler scene was breathtaking, but that movie was lame too. I saw X-Men 3 because a friend paid for my ticket and the fact that I didn't pay couldn't even save me from feeling screwed.

I totally accept that changes and stuff happen in adaptations, but how are you going to have X-Men: FIRST Class with the brother of Cyclops, but no Cyclops? How are you going to have Emma Frost and Magneto?

Magneto is wearing a uniform that looks like he stole it from a team of skydivers, and a helmet five sizes too big.

That is not the mythos of the X-Men, I'm sorry, but it's not. I can understand Xavier and Eric working together before he makes the X-Men, but not after or during. This is just one giant piss-take and, personally, I will not be told to "let go" of something that is so monumentally wrong.
Unless you're a girl I should try to hook you up with one of my sisters.

Just so you know that I'm not making fun of you, two of my sisters are nitpickers as well and expect everything to be translated down to the smallest detail. They don't consider any of the X-men films to be X-men or have actual X-men in them.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #81
The Mast
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Flare View Post
God bless you man!! LOL...for real you hit the nail right on the head. Can anyone name 1 comic book movie that has been comic continuity accurate? NO! I don't understand why some of you want to see the samething you can read in a damn comic book onto the big screen! Like come on you'll rather wait 2 'til 3 years to see the original characters on film when all you can do is go to a local comic book store or Ebay or Amazon and purchase the original material! Some of you guys need to get over yourself's...nothing is never the same when it is translated from book to screen, we all know this and yet you guys still rant/complain
First, he never hit any nail, because he reacted incorrectly to the kind of post I was making. Now, you're doing the same. You read his post and assumed what mine was about, like he did. If you'd read the convo, you'd have noted that I wasn't complaining about tiny details or how it's not 100% accurate.

It's only respectful to read both sides before cheerleading. That's just rude.

Secondly, why not say that to anyone, though?

Why make these movies when the general public can get off their asses and go read the comics? It works both ways here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Just so you know that I'm not making fun of you, two of my sisters are nitpickers as well and expect everything to be translated down to the smallest detail. They don't consider any of the X-men films to be X-men or have actual X-men in them.
Can everyone stop insisting that the reason I'm annoyed is because it's not being translated to the smallest detail? Really?

I don't mind having a discussion, but if you're gonna sit there and say I'm nit-picking over smallest details, then we might as well go our separate ways. None of the problems I stated are tiny details.

Tiny would be, "Oh, Obediah Stane didn't die that way." It's not a tiny nitpick, if you wish to trivialise it that way, to have issue with calling the movie X-Men: First Class. This is bearing in mind that none of the first class is there except Beast. Yet, they are having the brother of one of the inaugural members...and Azazel.

That's not even smart marketing. People know Cyclops, they know Iceman etc. How is having Azazel and Angel Salvatore even going to appeal to a general audience when people who read the COMICS barely give a crap?

Really, it's quite frustrating that anytime someone comes up with legitimate issues, and voices them without dissing anyone else, you all act like it's the stereotypical comic book nerd problem. It's not. It's not unthinkable nor unreasonable for someone to have a legitimate issue with Fox and their history with comic book movies.

To that end, I move to this point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMordem View Post
If they make crap films, people are gonna let em know. It's almost universally established that XMO:W was awful and I think handing the controls back over to Singer and Vaughn and giving Aronofsky a shot may be an indication that Fox may want to up the ante. Good enough isn't good enough with the likes of Iron Man, Thor and Cap on the way. With that said, I throw my support behind the filmmakers of the upcoming X-Films and am optimistic that we'll get something great!
Seeing as there's no universal right or wrong when it comes to taste, I doubt it. You've got people in this very thread who have said they're pleased with the X-movies. Now, that's their right and I fully respect that, but that doesn't send them the message of, "We're making crap movies."

You suggest that throwing our optimism and support behind the makers will help. Why? Especially since it's not even them that I have an issue with, it's Fox. Fox hired Tim Story to direct Fantastic Four, he didn't hire himself.

Look at the other comic movies Fox have distributed. Such gems as Daredevil, the two Fantastic Four movies, Elektra...

That's eight movies, including the four X-Men ones to date, that I consider bad to legitimately terrible. How can you honestly reduce any anti-Fox argument to, "You just nitpick everything."?

For the record, I'm not even an X-Men fan. I like the comics now and then, used to love them, but my concern is that Fox will continue to grab up any other franchise they can unless they're stopped. It's not solely an X-Men concern.

Maybe, once in a while, you should consider whether you are far too accepting. Because the common trend is that it's everyone else not being satisfied with anything anyone does, ever. Maybe that's not the case. Maybe you ought to demand a little more from the people saying, "Here's our movie, pay to watch it." I don't think I'm being unreasonable at all.

They've poured almost 900 million into those eight movies. Don't you think Fox have had their shot at putting out a worthy comic book movie? Don't you think it's time to let the rights go to Marvel? Who, in just three movies, have already established themselves as better suited to handling these projects?

Last edited by The Mast; 01-25-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #82
Project862006
Banned User

well if you dislike x men 1 i can see x3 i can see wolverine i can see

but x2 is easily a top 5 best super hero movie imo

Old 01-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #83
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
First, he never hit any nail, because he reacted incorrectly to the kind of post I was making. Now, you're doing the same. You read his post and assumed what mine was about, like he did. If you'd read the convo, you'd have noted that I wasn't complaining about tiny details or how it's not 100% accurate.

It's only respectful to read both sides before cheerleading. That's just rude.

Secondly, why not say that to anyone, though?

Why make these movies when the general public can get off their asses and go read the comics? It works both ways here.

Can everyone stop insisting that the reason I'm annoyed is because it's not being translated to the smallest detail? Really?

I don't mind having a discussion, but if you're gonna sit there and say I'm nit-picking over smallest details, then we might as well go our separate ways. None of the problems I stated are tiny details.

Tiny would be, "Oh, Obediah Stane didn't die that way." It's not a tiny nitpick, if you wish to trivialise it that way, to have issue with calling the movie X-Men: First Class. This is bearing in mind that none of the first class is there except Beast. Yet, they are having the brother of one of the inaugural members...and Azazel.

That's not even smart marketing. People know Cyclops, they know Iceman etc. How is having Azazel and Angel Salvatore even going to appeal to a general audience when people who read the COMICS barely give a crap?

Really, it's quite frustrating that anytime someone comes up with legitimate issues, and voices them without dissing anyone else, you all act like it's the stereotypical comic book nerd problem. It's not. It's not unthinkable nor unreasonable for someone to have a legitimate issue with Fox and their history with comic book movies.

To that end, I move to this point:

Seeing as there's no universal right or wrong when it comes to taste, I doubt it. You've got people in this very thread who have said they're pleased with the X-movies. Now, that's their right and I fully respect that, but that doesn't send them the message of, "We're making crap movies."

You suggest that throwing our optimism and support behind the makers will help. Why? Especially since it's not even them that I have an issue with, it's Fox. Fox hired Tim Story to direct Fantastic Four, he didn't hire himself.

Look at the other comic movies Fox have distributed. Such gems as Daredevil, the two Fantastic Four movies, Elektra...

That's eight movies, including the four X-Men ones to date, that I consider bad to legitimately terrible. How can you honestly reduce any anti-Fox argument to, "You just nitpick everything."?

For the record, I'm not even an X-Men fan. I like the comics now and then, used to love them, but my concern is that Fox will continue to grab up any other franchise they can unless they're stopped. It's not solely an X-Men concern.

Maybe, once in a while, you should consider whether you are far too accepting. Because the common trend is that it's everyone else not being satisfied with anything anyone does, ever. Maybe that's not the case. Maybe you ought to demand a little more from the people saying, "Here's our movie, pay to watch it." I don't think I'm being unreasonable at all.

They've poured almost 900 million into those eight movies. Don't you think Fox have had their shot at putting out a worthy comic book movie? Don't you think it's time to let the rights go to Marvel? Who, in just three movies, have already established themselves as better suited to handling these projects?
I think many on here KNOW Fox sucks but they just want to be excited anyway and theres nothing they can do so they get tired of hearing about it. They just want to look for the good. You gotta realize how many times people have had this same discussion about the movies. Makes people a little reactionary after the 1000th time.

You shouldn't sweat it so much though. Your going to give yourself carpal tunnel syndrome trying to defend yourself on here lol. The first thing to go on message boards is reading comprehension and you'll have no time for anything else trying to defend your posts so thoroughly.

I agree with a lot of what your saying. The X-Men are my favorite comic so these movies are probably more important to me than they should be.

I had problems with the first two movies but was so happy to see them on the big screen I overlooked the small stuff. I would have NEVER thought we'd see an X-Men film when I was a kid reading the comics. It was awesome and that overcame any negatives.

X3 and Origins were terrible movies with some redeeming qualities scattered around. I agree with you about Fox being terrible and I also wish Marvel would get the rights back. In light of X3 and Origins, it somehow makes me notice the negatives in the originals more, at least to the point of how it was obvious Fox had a bad plan to begin with.

Having said all that I will still be in line opening night. The fanboy in me wouldn't allow me to NOT see it. I just couldn't do it. Some moments make it worth it usually (the Logan/Victor scenes and relationship from Origins as an example)

I think Vaughn is a great director, I like the cast for the most part, especially Fassbender and Mccavoy. It could be a really good movie on its own.

I just wish that if they really wanted to save it and get it right then they should have just rebooted the whole franchise with the "actual" first class after The Wolverine was made.

Honestly the roster is my main issue with the movie. I look at the roster and it isn't the X-Men. At least the first few movies were the X-men for the most part.

Anyway. I am not happy with Fox but I can still get kind of excited for the movie and look forward to it. Its sort of a contradiction but it is what it is. I will see it with great excitement and then b***h about it to my friends afterwards.

Last edited by WildcatNC; 01-26-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #84
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
I'm a fan and, so far, I'm quite pleased.
Me too. More pleased than any other comic book film of 2011-2012. And there is quite a few I'm looking forward too but First Class tops them all.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #85
KulaJava
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
A Twilight actor was in the Harry Potter movies. Does that make them just like Twilight? (answer: no)

Can't believe people are flipping out about this. Oh wait a minute. Yes, I can.
No, but this is Fox. The same studio that did Daredevil, X3, Origins, and Elektra. And the same studio that employs Tom Rothman. I don't know how much clearer I can make this point. Dude repressed quality in X-Flicks ranging from the first. Low budget, no Sentinels, no Angel. Singer wanted all that in the first two.

It isn't looking good.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 AM   #86
Ipodman
Love Tension

I wasn't on board with First Class when it was first announced, but after seeing the screen shots, yeah I'm excited (even more than Thor or Cap even).

Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 AM   #87
Ipodman
Love Tension

I wasn't on board with First Class when it was first announced, but after seeing the screen shots, yeah I'm excited (even more than Thor or Cap even).

Old 01-26-2011, 02:19 AM   #88
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
...That's not even smart marketing. People know Cyclops, they know Iceman etc. How is having Azazel and Angel Salvatore even going to appeal to a general audience when people who read the COMICS barely give a crap?
I hear you Mast. They could have set First Class around the late 70s early 80s, but I think the 60s was 'chosen' not out of nessesity, but out of the current trend of going back to the 60s...the 60s seems to come around every 20 years.

As for Azazel I cant see him lasting into another prequel and I dont understand why Salvatore is in THIS film. Other than that Magneto's helmet looks great.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 AM   #89
Crockett
With Teeth

Yeah they may went with odd choices like Salvadore for an example, honestly it doesn't bother me that much but that doesn't mean that it won't work in the context of the movie, I'm willing to give them a chance even though the last two X-Men brand movies hasn't been good, hey but that might be me being optimistic.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #90
JP
To me

What other choices do they have? I'm looking at this giant X-Men poster on my wall and every character on it has appeared on film already.

I mean, after X2 there was still a big pot of A-listers left. Fox and Ratner took that pot and DUMPED it out all over X3. Then Fox took the scraps left in that pot and dumped it over Wolverine. Every A-list X-Men character has already been used.

But when I think about it, Beast, Mystique, Banshee, and Havok are solid popular (and fitting) choices for the film.

The only "strange" choices are Angel Salvadore and Darwin... IF WE KNEW WHAT ROLE THEY PLAYED. I'd like to ask who other people would agree are "better" choices. And bare in mind that these other choices have to be ethnically diverse characters.

I've noticed when I bring up questions like this the ones complaining about character selection in the first place can't think of a good answer and resort to "LOLZ REBOOT". But that's not an option and I'm glad it's not. So, please give me a good answer.

Last edited by JP; 01-26-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:04 AM   #91
KulaJava
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
What other choices do they have? I'm looking at this giant X-Men poster on my wall and every character on it has appeared on film already.

I mean, after X2 there was still a big pot of A-listers left. Fox and Ratner took that pot and DUMPED it out all over X3. Then Fox took the scraps left in that pot and dumped it over Wolverine. Every A-list X-Men character has already been used.

But when I think about it, Beast, Mystique, Banshee, and Havok are solid popular (and fitting) choices for the film.

The only "strange" choices are Angel Salvadore and Darwin... IF WE KNEW WHAT ROLE THEY PLAYED. I'd like to ask who other people would agree are "better" choices. And bare in mind that these other choices have to be ethnically diverse characters.
Yeah, pretty much. To me, the character choices aren't the problem. I was all about this semi-reboot/prequel hybrid movie until the production issues arose. I really thought between Singer/Vaughn - they could strong-arm Fox. But, nope.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 AM   #92
Visceral
Side-Kick

They chose the 60's because thats when the X-men were first written by stan lee.

Someone on this message board had sex with my dog
Old 01-26-2011, 03:20 AM   #93
Visceral
Side-Kick

They chose the 60's because thats when the X-men were first written by stan lee.

Someone on this message board had sex with my dog
Old 01-26-2011, 03:29 AM   #94
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaJava View Post
Yeah, pretty much. To me, the character choices aren't the problem. I was all about this semi-reboot/prequel hybrid movie until the production issues arose. I really thought between Singer/Vaughn - they could strong-arm Fox. But, nope.
Strong-arm Fox into what? Explain.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #95
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaJava View Post
you are not making any sense what has fox done to this movie please explain this?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #96
huzzah
Side-Kick

If we follow the movieverse I would not have set First Class in the 60s or if they had to set the film in the 60s, titled it something else.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #97
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post

I've noticed when I bring up questions like this the ones complaining about character selection in the first place can't think of a good answer and resort to "LOLZ REBOOT". But that's not an option and I'm glad it's not. So, please give me a good answer.
To me, the only odd choices are Angel Salvadore and Havok.

With Azazel being the father of Nightcrawler (and Mystique his mother), then I can see why he might be included in an origins story.

Darwin makes sense as he was part of an earlier team before the new international team introduced in 1975. But the rest of that team (Petra, Sway, Vulcan) are absent.

Angel Salvadore is an odd inclusion. Trying to rationalise this, she has some history with Emma Frost so that may, just may, be why she's there. But she isn't popular or iconic. I rather suspect they wanted her as a nod to the Angel of the Original Five (ie the male Warren Worthington bird-winged version), maybe she'll even have her fire/ice powers so that's a nod to the Iceman of the Original Five. But more than likely they wanted a female character and some ethnic diversity in the cast.

Havok seems odd because he is so chronologically separated from his brother Cyclops.

As for characters who would be more suitable, Sunfire and Thunderbird would make sense. Especially with Thunderbird dying in a plane crash (when trying to stop Count Nefaria). Also, what about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Those four would be far more suitable.

Banshee is fine because he was around in the early days (The original X-Men fought him as an enemy in fact, back in the 60s).

Even Emma Frost wasn't necessary, if they didn't want to contradict the Wolverine version of the character. They could have used any number of other Hellfire operatives, such as Selene.

I can see why people might be concerned at the mish-mash of characters, though I think Angel Salvadore and Havok are the only real oddities.

I think the clamour for a sequel featuring Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Beast and a couple of others is growing by the minute.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #98
steintym
Stay Frosty

I would have loved seeing Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. I think those two are probably the biggest missing pieces from this film.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #99
protocida
Side-Kick

They were going to appear in X-Men: The Last Stand at one point.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #100
JP
To me

With Magneto in his "Late-twenties" in this film, the possibility of Scarlet Which is impracticle. Unless they were no longer related.

Closed Thread