The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 01-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Default Legends of Batman toy line (90s)

Out of all the Batman toys that came out when I was a kid, my personal favorite is still "Legends of Batman". I still remember the day when I visited the toy store with my mother and saw some of the action figures on the shelf. They all looked so goshdarn badbutt, ya know? Just look at one of the commercials:

If that doesn't make your chest hair grow, I don't know what will. I saw those commercials on Cartoon Network...my mother had to shave off my beard before I went to bed.

The toy line had a "Zorro" version of Batman, Batman as a real knight in shining armor, Batman Beyond before Batman Beyond, a Cyborg Batman (that freaked me out as a kid. Batman as part machine? That's wrong man, wrong...man!). Included with all the figures were cards with a (painted) picture of the figure and the character's back story.

One of my favorite Batman figures was "Crusader Batman". The regular gray and...purple suit from the comic. Batman looked like he did steroids, with giant pecs and arms. The only thing I didn't like was the stupid plastic cape (I used a cloth cape from the TAS line when I played with it) and his tight butt. It really bothered me as a kid..."Batman doesn't have a butt!" I had the same problem with Schumacher's movies..."end this madness now!"

I remember that my best friend also had the figure. We used to play with it in the schoolyard. Suddenly my friend said with a kind of pervy voice:

"He's badass, isn't he?"

"Yeah" I answered.

"...he's naked..."

"..."

I still wonder what that was about! Anyway, here's a list of the figures I had:

- Crusader Batman
- Power Guardian Batman
- Knightquest Batman
- The Riddler
- Skybat
- The Batmobile

Ah, I miss the 90s...

I didn't have a lot of those figures, I had more from the excellent BTAS line...but like I said, LOB will always be my favorite. Unfortunately, I'm unable to upload any pictures now, but if you have any, please share.

And pleasepleaseplease tell me which figures you had, fun memories etc.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
O_B_Juan
Your only hope

Default Re: Legends of Batman toy line (90s)

When my nephews were smaller their grandfather bought them one of the batman the animated series batman figures. I can't remember which one exactly, but his ears were so pointy, that when the boys tossed him at the walls in their basement, he would stick in the wall like a dart. Grandma made Grandpa sand Batman's ears down so they won't leave holes in the ceiling and walls of their basement. They just don't make toys like that anymore.

O_B_Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
Decepticonus
Banned User

I had a few Batman toys growing up, some stuff from the Burton movies and Batman Forever. For some reason as a kid I loved The Riddler, I had TAS Riddler and Jim Carrey one, including this monstrosity...

Decepticonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

i remember that Legends of Batman toy line. the Batmobile was pretty awesome! had that and a few figures

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

I remember those. During the mid-late 90s my parents gave me the "Power Guardian Batman" figure for Christmas. I still have it (and the trading card) confined somewhere.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:59 AM   #6
Lantern Venom
Tireless Topher Trasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshdarn Batman View Post
Out of all the Batman toys that came out when I was a kid, my personal favorite is still "Legends of Batman".
I still wonder what that was about! Anyway, here's a list of the figures I had:

- Crusader Batman
- Power Guardian Batman
- Knightquest Batman
- The Riddler
- Skybat
- The Batmobile

Ah, I miss the 90s...

I didn't have a lot of those figures, I had more from the excellent BTAS line...but like I said, LOB will always be my favorite. Unfortunately, I'm unable to upload any pictures now, but if you have any, please share.

And pleasepleaseplease tell me which figures you had, fun memories etc.
I know I had the Knightsend and Knightquest figs. They were really sweet and looked more detailed than many figures of the time period.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #7
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
I know I had the Knightsend and Knightquest figs. They were really sweet and looked more detailed than many figures of the time period.
I had those, Crusader Batman, Buccaneer Batman and First Mate Robin. I meant to get the "pirate" versions of Two-Face and Joker too to complete the theme but never got around to it. Kinda wish they'd released a Batboat to go with them...

Old 01-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Great Archives - http://www.legionsofgotham.org/FIGUREScomicLOB.html

I guess it depends on the age you were exposed to these, to me this line (along with the whole Rob Liefeld style craze) epitomized the peak of Xtreme! 90s nonsense.

Although I remember getting Pirate Batman vs Pirate Two Face just for how laughably ridiculous it was.

Last edited by Mondragon; 01-19-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #9
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_B_Juan View Post
When my nephews were smaller their grandfather bought them one of the batman the animated series batman figures. I can't remember which one exactly, but his ears were so pointy, that when the boys tossed him at the walls in their basement, he would stick in the wall like a dart. Grandma made Grandpa sand Batman's ears down so they won't leave holes in the ceiling and walls of their basement. They just don't make toys like that anymore.
Haha, true...if you threw a Batman figure against the wall today it would probably explode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticonus View Post
I had a few Batman toys growing up, some stuff from the Burton movies and Batman Forever. For some reason as a kid I loved The Riddler, I had TAS Riddler and Jim Carrey one, including this monstrosity...

I also had a lot of Batman Forever toys, including that figure. My favorite was probably the Bruce Wayne figure or the sonar suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
i remember that Legends of Batman toy line. the Batmobile was pretty awesome! had that and a few figures
The batmobile was like totally radical dude. I remember when I saw it for the first time.

"Why isn't it black?".

I hope someone makes a Batman movie with that car in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
I remember those. During the mid-late 90s my parents gave me the "Power Guardian Batman" figure for Christmas. I still have it (and the trading card) confined somewhere.
As a big fan of Zorro and Batman, it was a dream come true. It's like that guy from the fly kidnapped Zorro and Batman and forced them into the teleporter.

Zorro: "Senőr, please don't keel us!"

Batman: "You'll never get away with this!"

Brundle: "It's only a harmless experiment. Now get in there!"

Zorro: "Aaah, nooo! Yoo sanaffabitsch! Yaaaaaarrrrgh!!!!"

Batman (Bale voice): "Whurrr isss huppunnunnrrrrrr! Urrrrrh!"

...heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
Yeah, that's one of the things that made me a fan. Batman looked so powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochimus View Post
I had those, Crusader Batman, Buccaneer Batman and First Mate Robin. I meant to get the "pirate" versions of Two-Face and Joker too to complete the theme but never got around to it. Kinda wish they'd released a Batboat to go with them...
A batship? "what do you want for Christmas, son? What??? Watch your language!!!"

I like it. I can imagine how it would look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondragon View Post
Great Archives - http://www.legionsofgotham.org/FIGUREScomicLOB.html

I guess it depends on the age you were exposed to these, to me this line (along with the whole Rob Liefeld style craze) epitomized the peak of Xtreme! 90s nonsense.

Although I remember getting Pirate Batman vs Pirate Two Face just for how laughably ridiculous it was.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Quote:
LOL Disregard my jaded sensibilities and love what you love.
At least it wasn't Night Force Ninjas!

I can see why a kid hoped on Roll-Ups, Squeez-Its and Gushers would think wow!
Love how Nightforce and Ninja, to them invokes !Xtreme Dayglow!

Last edited by Mondragon; 01-19-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #11
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

It's okay, Mondragon, I tolerate it since I like your posts about Zorro

I actually wanted "Fist Fury Batman"

That batmobile is the same as the Legends car, only green. Lazy!

Old 01-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's okay, Mondragon, I tolerate it since I like your posts about Zorro
Forgive me! I give-in to the greatness that is 90s Xtreme!
I have to admit, this one is tempting .... If nothing for the demonic horse box art alone .

What's funny is Zorro had an embarrassingly similar outrageous Xtreme line in the 90s too!

Lol Barbed-Wire Zorro! How does that work exactly?

I think they even shamelessly ripped of some of Legend Batman's mold ideas -

Childhood is open to all ideas.
Now I wish there was an extreme dayglow cosmic-ninja Zorro! & horse.

Last edited by Mondragon; 01-19-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #13
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

I had three of those Zorro figures. My favorite was the one who threw knives. There was a commercial for the toys on TV when Mask of Zorro came out, but I can't find it anywhere on the internet. I really miss my childhood sometimes!

"Dayglow Cosmic Ninja Zorros!!! They used to be regular teenagers...but one day when they played with their pet fox, the evil Doom Moon-Asteroidio abducted them and forced them to drink a mysterious, glowing goo called "Ninjex". For some unknown, scientific reason the four friends transformed into the Foxtastic Dayglow Cosmic Ninja Zorros! With these new and strange powers, the furry foursome fights the evil Moon-Asteroidio and his minions: The Mutated Pig Sergeant Gwartcia and the Gruesome Murder-Machine called Machete-2000!!!"

Old 01-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #14
Mondragon
Side-Kick

90s xtreme posed Batman vs 90s xtreme posed Zorro figures...[/IMG]

Quote:
I had three of those Zorro figures. My favorite was the one who threw knives. There was a commercial for the toys on TV when Mask of Zorro came out, but I can't find it anywhere on the internet. I really miss my childhood sometimes!
Oh man, you're killing me with your passion for these figures.
Couldn't' find the commercial, but this guy does a great review (in Italian) of some of the line - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GjaEwS0jU

Particularly you've brought up the great gimmick of the knife throwing Zorro, looking at it here, it really is an awesome functioning feature.
Link should Jump you to about 10:50

That is so badass...

I so have to get this now!

Quote:
"Dayglow Cosmic Ninja Zorros!!! They used to be regular teenagers...but one day when they played with their pet fox, the evil Doom Moon-Asteroidio abducted them and forced them to drink a mysterious, glowing goo called "Ninjex". For some unknown, scientific reason the four friends transformed into the Foxtastic Dayglow Cosmic Ninja Zorros! With these new and strange powers, the furry foursome fights the evil Moon-Asteroidio and his minions: The Mutated Pig Sergeant Gwartcia and the Gruesome Murder-Machine called Machete-2000!!!"
LOL! "Foxtastic Dayglow Cosmic Ninja Zorros!"
Awesome! Now I want the cartoon and take back everything I said about Xtreme 90s

First Mate Robin will join them in a fight...'

Last edited by Mondragon; 01-19-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #15
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
90s xtreme posed Batman vs 90s xtreme posed Zorro figures...[/IMG]

Oh man, you're killing me with your passion for these figures.
Couldn't' find the commercial, but this guy does a great review (in Italian) of some of the line - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GjaEwS0jU

Particularly you've brought up the great gimmick of the knife throwing Zorro, looking at it here, it really is an awesome functioning feature.
Link should Jump you to about 10:50

That is so badass...

I so have to get this now!

LOL! "Foxtastic Dayglow Cosmic Ninja Zorros!"
Awesome! Now I want the cartoon and take back everything I said about Xtreme 90s

First Mate Robin will join them in a fight...'
Why didn't I make my Power Guardian Batman and Zorro fight?

El Batmano: "Hello, Jose Chilada...my name is Bruno Diaz, you killed my father and mother...prepare to die!"

Zorro: "...this is going to far, senőr! Stop ripping me off!"

Yeah, like I said in the Zorro thread, I was amazed by that figure as a kid. "How is that even possible? What's next, bottled water???"

(The part about bottled water is fictional)

1998 was a good year. I remember that you could even get sweaters and t-shirts with Zorro on them around that time. I didn't have any, but my cousins did. I wished for a Mask of Zorro game on Playstation but that never happened

Someone should make a Zorro game today. Something like the Arkham games only Zorroer, you know...with Tornado, swords and all that crap. I would absolutely buy one of those new consoles (I don't know what they're called these days...PS4? XBOX Ultra? I'm getting old) just for that game alone.

The world needs more Zorro.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #16
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why didn't I make my Power Guardian Batman and Zorro fight?
I actually don't know if they are to scale? Do you have them both?

Quote:

This thread, and going by your avatar, you need to track this bootleg down-

The Skybat looks like he's built his own Animal-Zord, and is looking to hook up with a Power Rangers Mecha?

Last edited by Mondragon; 01-19-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #17
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
The Skybat looks like he's built his own Animal-Zord, is Batman looking to hook up with a Power Rangers?
"It's Flyin' Broodin' Rodent Rangers: Batzord! Fly high in the sky with the Bat Ranger's mechanical friend. Batzord...Bat Ranger not included!"

"Meet Brewster Wayne, the coolest guy in Gotham High. He may seem like a normal, handsome, rich guy with his own lamborghini and butler...but in reality, Brewster is the leader of The Flyin' Broodin' Rodent Rangers. With his best friends Serena Kyle, Rick Grayson and Harvey "The Face" Kent and their trusty robot butler Alpha-Red, he leads a never-ending battle against the evil Jokorr from planet Rictus 2000 as the Bat-tastic Bat Ranger! It's Broodin' time!"

Old 01-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #18
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
I actually don't know if they are to scale? Do you have them both?

This thread, and going by your avatar, you need to track this bootleg down-

The Zorro figure is a bit bigger than the Batman figure. Makes Batman look like a dwarf in a batsuit.

Haha, what the heck, that bootleg is awesome just add Tarzan.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:20 AM   #19
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wished for a Mask of Zorro game on Playstation but that never happened

Someone should make a Zorro game today. Something like the Arkham games only Zorroer, you know...with Tornado, swords and all that crap. I would absolutely buy one of those new consoles (I don't know what they're called these days...PS4? XBOX Ultra? I'm getting old) just for that game alone.

@Goshdarn Batman I replied to this in the Zorro thread, well ...because Batman!
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...=368369&page=8

Also LOL again , you guys totally convinced me on this line, that pirate two pack I bought as a gag, is now my favorite.
Also this toy line anticipated Morrison's Batman Lost through time (the Return of Bruce Wayne) story line, by about a decade.

Last edited by Mondragon; 01-22-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #20
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
@Goshdarn Batman I replied to this in the Zorro thread, well ...because Batman!
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...=368369&page=8

Also LOL again , you guys totally convinced me on this line, that pirate two pack I bought as a gag, is now my favorite.
Also this toy line anticipated Morrison's Batman Lost through time (the Return of Bruce Wayne) story line, by about a decade.

Great Zorro post (as always), young man

I've only read two issues of Return of Brewster.

Btw that viking Batman in your first post is so cool. I never bought it, but I always liked the concept. Batman as a viking makes total sense because it doesn't.

One of my favorite stories from Legends of the Dark Knight is the one where Batman finds out he had an ancestor back in Norway who also dressed up like a bat. The Bat Man or whatever he is called teams up with Viking Prince to defeat a giant. In the present day, Batman meets a guy in a viking costume (related to the original Viking Prince), and together they fight some evil corporation run by mutants. Sounds strange? It is, but it's one of the most exciting comics I remember reading as a kid.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #21
Mondragon
Side-Kick

This guy has a fun blog, pictures, card art, and reviews, celebrating this figure line - http://emperordinobotsbatmen.blogspo...-two-face.html
Give him some traffic and explore: 2014 Sep and Aug seem to have all the Legends line.

Here is his Viking Batman - http://emperordinobotsbatmen.blogspo...ng-batman.html

Last edited by Mondragon; 01-27-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #22
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

I've looked at that blog before, funny

And now, just for fun...let's make our own Legends of Batman figures!

1. Mountain Man Batman:

Mountain men are mean and low-down. And now you have the chance to be really, really mean!

When the evil Indian by the name "man who laughs" kills Jeremiah "The Brute" Wayne's Indian wife and father-in-law, he decides to take matters (and his awesome axe) in his own hands. Dressed up in the Bat-tribe's war outfit, he tracks down "man who laughs" and kills him. He cuts out the liver and eats it in front of "man who laughs" companions. From that day on, he's known as "bat who feasts on red man's livers".

"Man Who Laughs" with removable liver sold seperately.

2. Politically Correct Batman:

One night when the young and spoiled brat Bruce Wayne and his greedy capitalist parents walks home from a movie, a troubled young man named Joe Chill shows up and asks for a handout. Bruce's heartless father refuses to hand over his wallet. Chill is rightfully angered by this selfish act and shoots Bruce's parents.

After his parents (self-inflicted) deaths, Bruce Wayne vows to fight crime with nonviolent means as "Squeeky the Friendly Bat". Push the button on Batman's back and he will say cool stuff like:

1. "Hey dude, this is not cool, alright? We need to talk about your issues!"

2. "Hey, whoa...put the knife down, buddy! You know I won't fight you!"

3. "Therapy, not punishment!"

4. "Who are you to judge the Joker, Jim?"

5. "You're black, Lucius? I can't see it!"

3. Ultra GrimDark Batman 2000!!! Extreme deluxe limited special edition:

"I hate you!!!" The door slams right in front of Thomas Wayne. Young Bruce Wayne has had enough of meat loaf and sprouts. It's time to end this **** once and for all!

Alfred: "But...but Master Bruce...I can't poison them! It's murder..."

Bruce: "Do it, you old fart. Or I'll tell everyone that I saw what you and Ozzie Cobblepot's father did in the old barn!"

(Later that night...)

Alfred (weeping): "It's done, Master Bruce...it's done!"

Bruce Wayne used much of his wealth on Zorro toys...later, as an adult, he discovered drugs and prostitutes. He became fascinated with gimp suits and sadomasochism. One night when he was heavily coked up, he ran into the street in his devil gimp suit and accidentally pushed a mugger into a sewer. The mugger drowned in Gothamite crap, and people hailed him as a hero. They called him the "Man-Bat".

Bruce: "I'll use this hero **** as an excuse to torture and kill people. What do you think about that, Alfred? Alfred...? Oh, I forgot about that! Bwaahahahahahaaaaaah!"

(shot of Alfred's hide lying on the floor like a bearskin rug)

Be the man...be the Batman!

4. President Batman

Democrats too soft on crime? Not a big fan of the Republicans stance on guns? Then vote Batman for president.

Journalist: "Mr Batman, mr Batman...what about animal welfare?"

Batman: "I like cats. Not a big fan of crocodiles and penguins."

Journalist: "What about capital punishment?"

Batman: "Well...there's an old saying back where I come from: "I'm not going to kill you...but I don't have to save you!"

Journalist: "...okay. Why do you think you're going to win the election against Superman?"

Batman: "Because I'm Batman. And he is going to bleed this year!"

(Applause, cheers)

This ad is approved by D. Bat Man.

Last edited by Goshdarn Batman; 01-28-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Goshdarn Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #23
Decepticonus
Banned User

Some Batman toy commercials here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Acds7lgsxo

I recall having that Riddler and Penguin, and Penguin always confused me because it was nothing like the movie at all.

Decepticonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #24
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've looked at that blog before, funny

And now, just for fun...let's make our own Legends of Batman figures!
LOL at your Mountain Man Batman & Ultra GrimDark Batman 2000!!! Extreme, ... could have been legit for this toy line. You missed your calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticonus View Post
Some Batman toy commercials here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Acds7lgsxo
Dark Knight Collection and Animated Series lines were pretty cool (at least at first)
although they may belong more in the (1989 thread)

Love the ending ... Where she drops head first into the dumpster
and Batman is posed next to her like F... yeah! Win!

Last edited by Mondragon; 06-10-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #25
LuiECuomo
Side-Kick

I always felt that "Renaissance Batman" from the DC Collectibles line looked like a long lost addition to the Legends of Batman line.

LuiECuomo is offline   Reply With Quote