Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #26
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Discussion: FOX News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
When Jon Stewart was on, David Letterman said that Glenn Beck was similar in many ways to pro wrestling manager Bobby Heenan and even had a picture comparison of the two.
That's an insult to Heenan.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #27
8wid
Banned User

Quote:
Tides Foundation CEO Urges Advertisers to Boycott Fox News

In media news, the founder and CEO of the Tides Foundation has written to advertisers of Fox News asking them to remove all of their ads from the network or risk having blood on their hands. In July, a fan of Fox News broadcaster Glenn Beck was arrested for plotting to assassinate employees of the Tides Foundation and the ACLU. The gunman, Byron Williams, admitted Beck’s show inspired him to plot the attack. For months Beck has railed against the Tides Foundation, accusing the San Francisco-based non-profit of being part of a secret left-wing plot to take over the government. In his letter to advertisers on Fox News, Drummond Pike of the Tides Foundation wrote, "The next 'assassin' may succeed, and if so, there will be blood on many hands. The choice is yours. Please join my call to do the right thing in this regard and put Fox News at arm’s length from your company by halting your advertising with them." Recipients of the letter included JPMorgan Chase, BP, GEICO, Chrysler and GlaxoSmithKline.
Never heard about the Glenn Beck follower who wanted to assassinate nonprofit members, even if Fox New pundits say not to use violence they need to realize that not 100% of their audience is going to read that message.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #28
StorminNorman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8wid View Post
Never heard about the Glenn Beck follower who wanted to assassinate nonprofit members, even if Fox New pundits say not to use violence they need to realize that not 100% of their audience is going to read that message.
And if one of their audience doesn't listen to them, it's not their fault (hint: it would be the assassin).

It's funny that the left is trying so hard to depict Tea Partier/Glenn Beck-fan types as being potentially violent when we have had dramatically more violence come from the left.

No Tea Party event has come close to equally the G-20.

Someone inspired by An Inconvient Truth (and the awful, illogical book Ishmael) tried to blow up a Discover Channel building.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #29
chaseter
Bland User

People on the left idolize Che Guevara and he was a mass murderer.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #30
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

People that follow him, IMO, are doing it as a fad. Hell half the people out there that have a t-shirt on with his face on it don't know who the guy is, OR what he has done.

Ignorance is his follower.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #31
StorminNorman
Banned User

I want Karl Hess t-shirts. Karl Hess is the man most people mistake Che for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Hess

His brilliant essay "The Death of Politics"
http://mises.org/daily/3768

Old 10-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #32
Matt Mortem
SpookshowSpectacular

I have a Che poster in my room. Aside from his violent acts during the Cuban revolution I feel (and this is just me) that he now stands for fighting "the system". I'm a leftist and proud of it and he's a symbol of that. AND NOW I get to stand back and watch various Hype members set me ablaze for it. Hooray

Old 10-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #33
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
I have a Che poster in my room. Aside from his violent acts during the Cuban revolution I feel (and this is just me) that he now stands for fighting "the system". I'm a leftist and proud of it and he's a symbol of that. AND NOW I get to stand back and watch various Hype members set me ablaze for it. Hooray
Nope, you have every right to your opinion.

Doesn't change history...

Old 10-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #34
Matt Mortem
SpookshowSpectacular

Oh I know it doesn't change history. The way I see it, every "great leader" in history has killed millions of people. They all do it. From ancient times to modern US presidencies, every leader has slaughtered hundreds of thousands to milliions of innocent lives. Its just the way it is. So I pick out the best of any given leader I admire, be it Che Guevara or Frankiln D Roosevelt or any other.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #35
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
And if one of their audience doesn't listen to them, it's not their fault (hint: it would be the assassin).

It's funny that the left is trying so hard to depict Tea Partier/Glenn Beck-fan types as being potentially violent when we have had dramatically more violence come from the left.

No Tea Party event has come close to equally the G-20.

Someone inspired by An Inconvient Truth (and the awful, illogical book Ishmael) tried to blow up a Discover Channel building.
Not to compare political nutjobs on either side, but lone wolf crazies do tend to come from the right (and people like Glenn Beck appeal to their craziness).

Think:

-Oklahoma City Bombing
-George Tiller murder
-The murder of an innocent security guard at the Holocaust Museum in D.C.
-Cutting of a Congressional Democrat's gas lines.
-The police officer shot in Pennsylvania
-Waco, Texas
-The militia planning to kill police officers in the Midwest
-This guy who planned on killing nonprofit workers because of a mindless rant Beck had one day.

To deny that there is a culture of violence on either side is dangerous. As is playing to that culture, which Beck does on a daily basis.

--John Adams
Old 10-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #36
StorminNorman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
Che wasn't fighting "the system" he was fighting for a BIGGER SYSTEM. Read the Karl Hess essay I mentioned earlier - THAT is a man who was fighting "the system". Karl Hess, not Che, was fighting for everything you foolishly believe Che to stand for.

If you choose to be proud of a murderous thug, you demean your own morality and integrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Not to compare political nutjobs on either side, but lone wolf crazies do tend to come from the right (and people like Glenn Beck appeal to their craziness).

Think:

-Oklahoma City Bombing
-George Tiller murder
-Waco, Texas
-This guy who planned on killing nonprofit workers because of a mindless rant Beck had one day.

To deny that there is a culture of violence on either side is dangerous. As is playing to that culture, which Beck does on a daily basis.
The Holocaust Museum guy wasn't "Right Wing", but that's beside the point. I wasn't saying that violence never comes from "the right", only that the left's extremism is rarely covered the way the right is.

All we heard about over the summer was how violent and hatefilled and riotous the conservatives were, and yet the actual violent riots were liberal in nature.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #37
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

The riots that are happening in France right now because Sarkozy wants to raise the to retirement age to 62 as primarily liberal or conservative? The reason I ask is because it is being reported that unions are pushing for these riots in France.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #38
8wid
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post

Think:

-Oklahoma City Bombing
-George Tiller murder
-Waco, Texas

Totally agree with, because not to mention how many soldiers enlisted because they were inspired by the rants of Fox News pundits who believe it is some sort of moral crusade. Christian fundamentalist preachers do nothing, but paraphrase his words through their sermons to their congregations and justify wars in the Middle East, and make Iran out to more of a threat then there is real basis for. Although all the other major corporate media players in American TV promoted an illegal invasion of Iraq and made serious attempts to silence opposition of Bush's statemens because most Americans sought revenge for 9/11 and didn't demand in the streets any real evidence. They know most of their audience listens to them and repeat anything they will say. So FOX plays on that for political and financial gain. How many more lives are going to be taken because of how he has helped shaped the U.S.? Hundreds of thousands to millions have.

Last edited by 8wid; 10-20-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #39
Matt Mortem
SpookshowSpectacular

Quote:
Che wasn't fighting "the system" he was fighting for a BIGGER SYSTEM. Read the Karl Hess essay I mentioned earlier - THAT is a man who was fighting "the system". Karl Hess, not Che, was fighting for everything you foolishly believe Che to stand for.

If you choose to be proud of a murderous thug, you demean your own morality and integrity.
Tell you what champ, you believe what you believe and I'll "foolishly" believe what I believe. First one to destroy the country wins

Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #40
StorminNorman
Banned User

I'm more interested in salvation than destruction.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #41
Matt Mortem
SpookshowSpectacular

Apparently. I'm gonna go ahead and abstain from this argument because I can tell it won't go well. I cannot tolerate the right wing view of Che and you obviously have equal disdain for the leftist view. This will more than likely end with me getting banned so I will respectfully back out of this.

Last edited by Matt Mortem; 10-20-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #42
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I find it very narrow minded to not at least listen to opposite views. To totally disregard EVERYTHING labeled something leaves your education very one sided.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #43
Matt Mortem
SpookshowSpectacular

I have listened to right wing ideals and I'm open to them. There are some good ideas on the right, I can admit that. In regards to the Che Guevara argument, I don't like the right wing view which is that he is in the same league as Hitler. I am plenty open to other ideas I just find the ones on the left to be the ones I agree with most. Perhaps I should amend my above mentioned post to be more specific.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #44
StorminNorman
Banned User

But the man was a brutal murderer. That isn't a "right wing" view, it's historical record.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #45
8wid
Banned User

Well George W. Bush or Richard Nixon can be labeled in the same category as Che Gueverra, so I think it's best to say that regardless of liberal or conservative the means of killing never justify the ends despite who does it.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #46
StorminNorman
Banned User

Yes, but no one can claim that either of those men (who I have no interest in defending either way) watch the life flicker from the eyes of men. I think there is a difference.

Also neither George W. Bush nor Richard Nixon were "Right Wing" or "conservative".

Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #47
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel View Post
The riots that are happening in France right now because Sarkozy wants to raise the to retirement age to 62 as primarily liberal or conservative? The reason I ask is because it is being reported that unions are pushing for these riots in France.
I have no idea, but that might be the tipping point for former French Foreign Minister Dominique DeVillipen (or however his last name is spelled) to run against Sarkozy (I don't think he has announced his candidacy yet).

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 10-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #48
chaseter
Bland User

Here are some things that Che did and stood for:

Founded Cuba's labor camps that incarcerated gays, AIDS victims, and opponents. He oversaw the execution of thousands of people. Not imprisonment but death. He even personally killed hundreds of people by shooting them in the head.

He was against free expression and music like rock and jazz and therefore made those offenses criminal

He was very anti-black

He was against the US and has even been quoted to saying that if he had a nuke, he would detonate it in the heart of the US.

He was a totalitarian

He was a pro Soviet faction leader/Marxist/communist

He thought he and his soldiers should be martyrs and that lead to a lot of people dying, which most were college students that left university to become Guerrillas that would accomplish literally nothing.

Now that does sound very Hitler-ish. I won't compare him to Hitler but they do share those commonalities. Che is very much like Osama Bin Laden. It would be like me wearing an Osama shirt.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 10-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #49
8wid
Banned User

Quote:
But the man was a brutal murderer. That isn't a "right wing" view, it's historical record.
Quote:
Yes, but no one can claim that either of those men (who I have no interest in defending either way) watch the life flicker from the eyes of men. I think there is a difference.

Also neither George W. Bush nor Richard Nixon were "Right Wing" or "conservative".
If not what were they then? Neocons?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #50
chaseter
Bland User

Bush did do a lot of progressive/liberal things while in office.

Closed Thread