Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #851
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: FOX News II

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichsRevenge View Post
I see where you live. Houston, Texas. Highly religious state, no? They're considering putting creationism in PUBLIC schools, are they not? I guarantee my life would not be easy as an atheist in Houston. Religious cities in the US are not friendly to those outside of their religion. I assume you are religious, which is probably why you've never witnessed this.
So, your way of thinking is right and everyone else is wrong. Maybe you should move to China?

Old 07-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #852
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
So, your way of thinking is right and everyone else is wrong. Maybe you should move to China?
Well, creationism is wrong, period. That's not just me, that's logic.

But, no, did I say anywhere that my way of thinking is right? I commented on how disrespecting religion is fine with me because of how disrespectful the religious have been for centuries. This picture sums it up nicely:

Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #853
Doctor Evo
Banned User

Quote:
Well, creationism is wrong, period. That's not just me, that's logic.
Agreed, but that's not really what we're talking about here. Religion and creationism aren't necessarily the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichsRevenge
But, no, did I say anywhere that my way of thinking is right? I commented on how disrespecting religion is fine with me because of how disrespectful the religious have been for centuries. This picture sums it up nicely:

What good does this do? What does it solve? What is the end-game here?

All you're doing is perpetuating a stereotype. This childish "eye for an eye" attitude does more harm than good. It is an entirely fruitless endeavor.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #854
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
And you wonder why I've blocked him. He's said some stupid stuff when he's posting on political and religious stuff. I'm more agnostic than atheist and what he said was just complete garbage.

No need for this whatsoever, keep the posts to your opinion of the issues, not the poster please...you don't have to agree with them, but disagreeing does not mean disrespecting.

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
… Maya Angelou ...

Old 07-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #855
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I see where you live. Houston, Texas. Highly religious state, no? They're considering putting creationism in PUBLIC schools, are they not? I guarantee my life would not be easy as an atheist in Houston. Religious cities in the US are not friendly to those outside of their religion. I assume you are religious, which is probably why you've never witnessed this.
No, Creationism is not a part of our Science TEKS at any grade level in the State of Texas.

I am a Christian, no I'm not religious, I actually don't really like organized religion.

Your life would be just fine as an Atheist in Houston.

Have you ever been to a Free Thought Convention? In 2011, it was here in Texas, Houston to be exact. : )

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
… Maya Angelou ...

Last edited by Kelly; 07-29-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #856
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
Agreed, but that's not really what we're talking about here. Religion and creationism aren't necessarily the same thing.

What good does this do? What does it solve? What is the end-game here?

All you're doing is perpetuating a stereotype. This childish "eye for an eye" attitude does more harm than good. It is an entirely fruitless endeavor.
Not necessarily, when you're fighting for certain rights. I've read stories of people being harassed and frightened out of their communities for coming out as an atheist. That doesn't mean they should do the same to the religious, but it does mean that the strangehold religion has on some parts of the Americas needs to be loosened. Religion should never dictate policy or be an integral part of the government. It should remain neutral. Any swing to either side should be fought against for the sake of equality.

The live and let live mantra only works when the other side feels the same way.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #857
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

I never understood why people complain about Christians being I guess deadset in their ways then they do the same exact thing with Atheism.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #858
Doctor Evo
Banned User

Quote:
Not necessarily, when you're fighting for certain rights. I've read stories of people being harassed and frightened out of their communities for coming out as an atheist. That doesn't mean they should do the same to the religious, but it does mean that the strangehold religion has on some parts of the Americas needs to be loosened. Religion should never dictate policy or be an integral part of the government. It should remain neutral. Any swing to either side should be fought against for the sake of equality.
Right, but we're talking about methods for effecting change. You still haven't explained how retaliatory hostility will further your cause. I think it's self-evident that it negatively influences public perception, thereby increasing resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichsRevenge
The live and let live mantra only works when the other side feels the same way.
I'm not talking about live and let live. At all.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #859
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
Right, but we're talking about methods for effecting change. You still haven't explained how retaliatory hostility will further your cause. I think it's self-evident that it negatively influences public perception, thereby increasing resistance.

I'm not talking about live and let live. At all.
Wouldn't doing anything be considered retaliatory hostility? Any fight back from Atheists would be considered "hostile" to whom we're fighting against, no?

But please, indulge me, how would you effect change?

Old 07-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #860
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGenerate10 View Post
I never understood why people complain about Christians being I guess deadset in their ways then they do the same exact thing with Atheism.
It depends on what you're talking about. Being deadset in things like gay marriage and abortion becomes unconstitutional eventually. The only thing Atheists are dead set for is not believing in any gods.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #861
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnyte_Sun View Post
Fox News' Embarassing Interview with a Religious Scholar

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Reza Aslan, a religious scholar with a Ph.D. in the sociology of religions from the University of California and author of the new book, “Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth,” went on FoxNews.com’s online show Spirited Debate to promote his book only to be prodded about why a Muslim would write a historical book about Jesus.

He handles himself well.
http://www.carbonated.tv/news/reza-a...news-interview

Quote:
Reza Aslan’s Zealot Now #1 On Amazon After Nightmare Fox News Interview
Well looks like that interviewed helped him out alot. lol

Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #862
SV Fan
Side-Kick

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/foreign-policy/war-terror/fox-news-attacks-anthony-weiners-wife-huma-abedin-video

Quote:
Fox News host Sean Hannity aired a special “Saving America” edition of his show on Friday to analyze the Anthony Weiner scandal, but the program went off on a 2012 debunked conspiracy theory against Weiner's wife Huma Abedin.

Brooke Goldstein of the Lawfare Project said the real story was the supposed Muslim Brotherhood ties to Huma Abedin, who has security clearances because she worked at the U.S. State Department under former Sec. of State Hillary Clinton, noted Buzzfeed.com.

"What’s amazing to me is that we’re spending time debating Schmeckle-gate, okay? When Huma Abedin, who has connections to the Muslim Brotherhood, who was connected to the chief financier of al-Qaeda, is his wife and has top security clearance," claimed Goldstein (video below).

Radio host Monica Crowley added: "Actually, what Brooke points to, that’s the real Huma Abedin story. It’s not about Weiner’s wiener.”

Abedin’s supposed ties to the Muslim Brotherhood are part of a 2012 conspiracy theory pushed by Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn).
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

So Fox News gets a story they can point their finger at and say look at those silly liberals and they turn it into a wacky conspiracy theory discussion. I just love Hannity's "that's a good point" comment

Last edited by SV Fan; 07-30-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #863
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Although I think the whole Muslim Brotherhood thing is ridiculous, it (Huma standing by her man) is IMO, the real story...and one that Hillary wishes would go away. lol

I have no clue why people are so up in arms about Weiner....he said when he first said he was running for mayor that more would come out. SURPRISE....more came out. : )

… Maya Angelou ...

Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #864
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Although I think the whole Muslim Brotherhood thing is ridiculous, it (Huma standing by her man) is IMO, the real story...and one that Hillary wishes would go away.
Like I said Fox News gets a story on a silver platter and they just completely make themselves look ridiculous. There is so many ways you can make Democrats look bad and tie this to the Clintons(sex scandals, Huma worked for Hillary, etc) without trying to link Huma to Muslim terrorists, yet they can resist playing on the most extreme story that has no factual basis behind it

I thought the whole Huma works for Muslim terrorist was a story a year ago that got shot down by most level headed people in the Republican party after Bachmann was pushing it, but I guess Fox thinks it's a good story to try fear their 65+ viewership with

Old 07-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #865
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
Like I said Fox News gets a story on a silver platter and they just completely make themselves look ridiculous. There is so many ways you can tie this to the Clintons(sex scandals, Huma worked for Hillary, etc) without trying to link Huma to Muslim terrorists

Yeah, they have totally missed the real story, IMHO.

… Maya Angelou ...

Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #866
SV Fan
Side-Kick

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...surprise-here/

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Fox & Friends’ fails on Obama-Muslim museum connection: No surprise here

In their glorious history, fake-news sites have thrived by fooling people into thinking their stuff is for real. For instance, the conservative congressman who fell for that classic Onion story on an “Abortionplex” opening up in Topeka, or the Chinese Communist Party newspaper that fell for the Onion story celebrating North Korea’s Kim Jong Un as the “sexiest man alive,” or the news sites, including Boston.com and Breitbart.com, that bought the Daily Currant’s story that New York Times columnist Paul Krugman had gone bankrupt.

The record shows that those hoodwinked by fake news generally swallow pieces that confirm their worldview or advance their agenda. So: If you’re out to get Fox News to bite on a fake-news story, one good way just might be to … concoct an article in which President Obama digs into his pocket to support the International Museum of Muslim Cultures. That’s the allegation that recently surfaced on the National Reporter, which calls itself an “online portal for ‘citizen journalists.’”

Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #867
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Quote:
Fox News’ abuse of reporters is legendary. But their treatment of Matthew Flamm, a media reporter for Crain’s New York, should be flagged for eternity for its absurdity. As first reported by NPR’s David Folkenflik (and noted in The Washington Post), the channel’s PR team planted a fake tip, using a fake email address—but using a real Fox News producer’s name—about Bill O’Reilly anchoring election coverage of the 2008 primaries, for the sole purpose of humiliating Flamm.

Flamm explains:

Within minutes of the item’s posting, Ms. Briganti emerged from her silence with comments to TVNewser about how ridiculous it was to even consider that Mr. O’Reilly would anchor a newscast. She then added that nothing I had written could ever be trusted. (My previous story on Fox, in 2006, had been about a ratings decline.)

I sent an email to the “producer” but it bounced back; her Hotmail account was dead. Yes, I finally picked up the phone and called her. Only to learn that she knew nothing about the emails “she” had been sending.
You could call Flamm naive for being so generous. (He didn’t call the producer before publishing the item because he feared for her job.) Or you could call Fox News insane! We’re going to the latter conclusion.
Oh FOX news you so crazy

ps4 psn: djKiddVicious
Old 12-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #868
SV Fan
Side-Kick

John Stewart covered this but I found it funny

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2013...pating-sports/

Quote:
Fox News On Swim Class For Muslim Girls: ‘Sharia Law Is Changing Everything’

Taking a break from reminding Americans of the ensuing War On Christmas that begins around this time every year, Fox News’ hit morning show Fox And Friends hit on another one of the network’s favorite topics this morning: the slow and steady creep of Sharia Law across the nation.

This time, Sharia is rearing its head at America’s swimming pools, where America’s Muslim “minority is becoming the majority,” according to Fox’s Heather Nauert. The evidence is that one swimming pool in St. Paul, Minnesota is offering a swimming class to Somali-born girls who now live in the area, and to accommodate the participants’ Muslim beliefs, the pool is closed to men during the one-hour class. “Sharia law is changing everything,” Nauert proclaimed during the brief segment, which you can see here via Raw Story:

The classes are now “starting across the Midwest,” Nauert said before promising that Fox News would “keep watching this story for you.”
Nauert doesn’t exactly explain why this is a problem, other than making it seem that we should all be outraged about a pool making special accommodations to a religious minority for an entire hour.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #869
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Watching Fox and Friends really feels like attending a Klan rally at times.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #870
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #871
Joshua_B
Banned User

I love how people pretend that only Christians and conservatives impose agendas on people, when the truth is that everyone does in a discussion. I don't regularly watch any news programs anymore, but Fox News tends to be a lot less depressing than CNN or the rest.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #872
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Watching Fox and Friends really feels like attending a Klan rally at times.
And watching CNN or MSNBC is like listening to a bunch of lobotomy patients.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #873
Victarion
Cut

Then why are you still watching it, TQ?

I've always wondered, if Fox News is a laugable station, why do they keep claiming to be the "Number 1 Name in News?"

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Old 12-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #874
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
Then why are you still watching it, TQ?
I'm not. I really don't watch much TV at all. But I have seen it in the past and a lot of the time that's the feeling I got.

Quote:
I've always wondered, if Fox News is a laugable station, why do they keep claiming to be the "Number 1 Name in News?"
Because that's something you do to get people to watch your stuff. It's basic advertising.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #875
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Because in terms of cable news stations they have the most viewers, so why not brag about it. If you look at the numbers at their best time of the day(Bill O'Reilly) they basically have 1% of the country watching(3M viewers). All that being said they would be the #1 name in cable news since the main networks(NBC, CBS, ABC) generally get 6-10M viewers for their evening News programs

Closed Thread