Default Re: Official UNCANNY X-MEN Discussion Thread

Specter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #877
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
God knows he did an absolutely horrible job with Rachel in the new Nightcrawler series. The phrase, "Oh don't be a poop." actually came out of her mouth. Ugh. NC is probably my favorite character ever, but I just can't with him under Claremont's pen.
I'm hesitant to jump into that solo book and you're not helping lol.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #878
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Not sure where to put this question, but how good are the X-books at the moment as a whole? And which ones are the best?

Thanks for the scans btw Specter, good to get a flavour of everything for now.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #879
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Amazing>WaTXM>X-Factor>All New>UXM>Adjectiveless

Old 04-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #880
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Thanks & where do they start getting good within that ranking?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #881
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Amazing just started. WatXM and X-Factor both just started new volumes, and I personally thought all of the last volumes of both, except for when they were forced into crossovers, were good. I'd rate adjectiveless higher than Spoons did, and it just started a new volume too. It can be good, if a bit boring at times with less than interesting villains. I don't care for Uncanny or All New because I just can't stand Bendis' writing, but others swear that they're the best books out there.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #882
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Good to know.

Do any of you get your comics digitally? I'd like to keep up with X-Men but I literally have no more space for comics having collected since the ages of 12 - (about) 32.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #883
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Nope, I just keep piling up longboxes in my parents' basement cuz I've no room for 'em all either haha.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #884
Havok83
Side-Kick

Bendis' two books are the best with ANX getting top honors!

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #885
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Good to know.

Do any of you get your comics digitally? I'd like to keep up with X-Men but I literally have no more space for comics having collected since the ages of 12 - (about) 32.
The X books are the only ones I still buy hard copy, though I take advantage of the digital copies they include. I still feel All-New and Uncanny are my favorites. You may or may not count it, but Uncanny Avengers is also great. Kinda hard to jump in at the moment (unless you take this current issues as a jump on point and just read the recap page). Amazing would be my next ranked, but they dragged the first arc way too long. I'm excited to have Colossus back on the team though. I'm giving the new X-Force a shot and it shows promise, but I'm also testing the new WatX and it hasn't grabbed me. Don't know how much longer I'll stick it out.

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #886
Reh
Newbie First Class

I'm new to these threads guys. I haven't read comics in awhile but I'm interested in getting back involved. I'm surprised to see this new Cyclops. Hope there good.

Reh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #887
Snikt8
X

I have to run with Amazing then All-New followed by WATXM. Uncanny and X-Men are solid also though.

Snikt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #888
Supperhero
Side-Kick

Just my 2 cents.

I've been an huge fan since the eighties... Proteus, the Phoenix Saga, Elegy, the "Australian 8" era, the return of the team (divided into 2 Strike Forces). The X-Men were mysterious, powerful, interesting, fascinating. I was totally hooked. It was a a MASTERPIECE.

The early nineties post-Claremont era totally destroyed my interest. I stopped reading the X-titles. It was a bad era. No excuses. Great pencillers, but it felt void. It felt empty. Gone was the great writing.

I've just bought some issue here and there since 2000. I loved new characters like Maggot or Cecilia, but they were poorly used IMHO.

The X-Men roster is - still today - CONFUSING. They split into two teams, then rebound, then split, then rebound. One member leaves, one member enters. Cyclops is good, Cyclops is evil. What's this crap?

I would like to start reading the title again, but where should I start? There are 34 X-Men titles. I can barely figure out where to start. PLUS, are we supposed to need teams like X-Factor and X-Force? What's their purpose in the bigger scheme of things? And what about their line-ups changing millions of times per month?

Sorry, I'm disappointed and needed to vent.

Supperhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #889
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperhero View Post
Just my 2 cents.

I've been an huge fan since the eighties... Proteus, the Phoenix Saga, Elegy, the "Australian 8" era, the return of the team (divided into 2 Strike Forces). The X-Men were mysterious, powerful, interesting, fascinating. I was totally hooked. It was a a MASTERPIECE.

The early nineties post-Claremont era totally destroyed my interest. I stopped reading the X-titles. It was a bad era. No excuses. Great pencillers, but it felt void. It felt empty. Gone was the great writing.

I've just bought some issue here and there since 2000. I loved new characters like Maggot or Cecilia, but they were poorly used IMHO.

The X-Men roster is - still today - CONFUSING. They split into two teams, then rebound, then split, then rebound. One member leaves, one member enters. Cyclops is good, Cyclops is evil. What's this crap?

I would like to start reading the title again, but where should I start? There are 34 X-Men titles. I can barely figure out where to start. PLUS, are we supposed to need teams like X-Factor and X-Force? What's their purpose in the bigger scheme of things? And what about their line-ups changing millions of times per month?

Depending how far back you want to back track I'd say a good place to start is X-Men Schism from about 2011. This is what causes the initial break up of the X-Men. From there you can read Gillen's Uncanny X-Men vol.2 and Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men vol.1. They're both good reads, but if you're just looking for the broad strokes of the story you can skip them. They do, however, both lead (fairly early on in their runs) into the next crossover event- Avengers Vs. X-Men. After AvX, read AvX Consequences. That leads into the two new flagship titles:

All-New X-Men features the return of the original X-Men to the present to try and knock Cyclops back to his senses after the events of AvX. (must read)

Uncanny X-Men vol.3 features Cyclop's new renegade X-Men with Emma Frost and Magneto following Xavier's dream his way. (must read)

Wolverine and the X-Men continues through all this time and was just now rebooted, but it focuses more on Quentin Quire and the new students at the Jean Grey School (renamed in WatX).

Amazing X-Men kinda stem off from WatX where it follows the "staff" of the school (Wolverine, Storm, Iceman, etc.) and their adventures.

X-Men is an all-female cast.

Last edited by javi1024; 04-25-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #890
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

I've started catching up now finally. Just read the 1st 2 issues of Uncanny & I'm really liking it so far.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #891
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
Nope, I just keep piling up longboxes in my parents' basement cuz I've no room for 'em all either haha.
Haha, awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Bendis' two books are the best with ANX getting top honors!
I'm liking this one so far. Maybe I'll go for that next when I'm up to date with Uncanny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi1024 View Post
The X books are the only ones I still buy hard copy, though I take advantage of the digital copies they include. I still feel All-New and Uncanny are my favorites. You may or may not count it, but Uncanny Avengers is also great. Kinda hard to jump in at the moment (unless you take this current issues as a jump on point and just read the recap page). Amazing would be my next ranked, but they dragged the first arc way too long. I'm excited to have Colossus back on the team though. I'm giving the new X-Force a shot and it shows promise, but I'm also testing the new WatX and it hasn't grabbed me. Don't know how much longer I'll stick it out.
Thanks for the opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reh View Post
I'm new to these threads guys. I haven't read comics in awhile but I'm interested in getting back involved. I'm surprised to see this new Cyclops. Hope there good.
Good time to get back into things, like me.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #892
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

UNCANNY X-MEN #25
Brian Michael Bendis (W) • Chris Bachalo (A/C)
AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. VARIANT BY PHANTOM CITY CREATIVE
ORIGINAL SIN tie-in!
• Xavier's greatest secret has been revealed!
• Against such overwhelming power, will the X-Men succeed in holding the line?
• Or will Xavier's final "gift" to his children be their undoing.
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Old 06-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #893
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperhero View Post
Just my 2 cents.

I'm so glad I found this post since I was thinking the same way, the 1990's X-Men comics had my interest but the FOX cartoon got me hooked that I started buying TPB's of classic storylines, X-Men Essentials. And say what people say about Chris Claremont and his multiple subplots he knew how to make an X-Men comic good.

After he left we got Scott Lobdell and Fabian Nicieza who continued with strong stories and charaterization but now like all comics from the 90's it seemed to have more filler issues to wet the fans hunger until the glut of yearly huge storylines, I was fine with X-Cutioner Song, Age Of Apocalyse, and Onslaught but in between we had filler issues with filler artists that it was becoming a tiresome trend that it seemed every five issues we got something that would "change the X-Men forever". <yawn>

Not even Claremont's return to writing in the late 90's could help when he got replaced wtih Steven Seagle and Joe Kelly.

So yeah the 2000's were pretty much a hazy memory that I stopped buying around 2005 with so many unnecessary stuff like Civil War, 198, House Of M and when I pick up a new X-Men comic I don't recognize anybody.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #894
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Old 06-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #895
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

^ Is that Chris Bacalo's artwork? oh man he was a major proponent for the books in the early 2000's not having a consistant look to them. And uhhhh when did Magneto go bald?

Old 06-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #896
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
^ Is that Chris Bacalo's artwork? oh man he was a major proponent for the books in the early 2000's not having a consistant look to them. And uhhhh when did Magneto go bald?
Uncanny Xmen #1 and yes that's Magneto.

Im gonna need Dazzler to roast Mystique

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #897
Generation Lee
Side-Kick

I actually found Dazzler interest for the first time after this issue. Go Hijack.

Generation Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #898
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

The ending of this story felt so rushed. You'd think they'd want to spend some time exploring Dark Beast's motives and have the story resolve a little more naturally.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #899
Generation Lee
Side-Kick

I think they will after Oringinal Sin. Let's face it bubble head has been moved off the board a couple of times and then brought back.

Generation Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #900
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generation Lee View Post
I actually found Dazzler interest for the first time after this issue. Go Hijack.
Yeah that was actually a nice little twist I wasn't expecting.