The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 07-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Default The DJ Booth

I've noticed a few other DJ's on the boards and thought it would be cool if we fellow DJ's had a spot to share tips and tricks as well as other things so I made this thread. A little background about myself behind the decks, I started spinning in 2002 just out of high school in the hey days of the FL breaks scene. I learned to beatmatch by ear with vinyl but went to CDJs not too long after that due to not having a record shop nearby when I moved. After that of course I went digital like most of my fellow DJs today. Breaks is and will always be my first love of dance music, but as I have aged I have come to appreciate many types of music. First and foremost though I am all about bass. I dig a lot of house music but the 4 on the floor repetitive beat does get old after awhile. Of course I am a huge fan of turntablism like most DJ's but sadly as of right now I am not a scratch DJ but do hope to learn one day. I have mad respect for DJ Craze, he is one of my all time faves and I have met him and watched him do his thing a few times. As for the current state of dance music I have to say I'm not the biggest fan with how mainstream a lot of it has become. The "EDM" cookie cutter big room house sound is just blah and it really does damn near all sound the same to me. Also not a fan of how the newer kids DJing play about 60-90 seconds of a tune and then mix out to the next one, it's really annoying and doesn't let the crowd get in the groove IMO. I did grow up on long mixes and smooth blends so that is something I feel is paramount for and DJ to learn but with the controllers these days it does make it quite easy.

Also if you are new to DJing or thinking about getting into it feel free to join in and ask any questions you have, I'm more than happy to share the knowledge that was shared with me and to do my best to keep the underground going strong!

CLICK HERE for my artist page on Bookface and give it a like!CLICK HERE for my YouTube channel updated weekly with new mixes (don't forget to subscribe and hit that thumbs up for me!)

ps4 psn: djKiddVicious
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Default Re: The DJ Booth

My current problem I am dealing with is trying to map Traktor with my M-Audio Xsession pro MIDI controller and it is proving to be a bit of a pain. Found a tutorial on YouTube and most of what I'm putting into it is working but when I try to add the play/pause feature it works when I'm using the learn button to map it but once I unclick learn it doesn't work. This controller is very basic and I just got hooked up with Traktor so this is new to me. Anyone ever do anything similar?

EDIT: I fixed the problem, for some reason even though I was starting with a new generic MIDI template it still was assigning commands that I wasn't telling it to do. Had to export it and then import it and it showed the commands I didn't want and was able to delete them. Easy fix.

CLICK HERE for my artist page on Bookface and give it a like!CLICK HERE for my YouTube channel updated weekly with new mixes (don't forget to subscribe and hit that thumbs up for me!)

Last edited by DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs; 07-06-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

This DJ does an epic troll on the entire crowd

Old 07-15-2015, 02:53 AM   #4
djprince
Side-Kick

Are you using Mixed In Key?

Old 07-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djprince View Post
Are you using Mixed In Key?
I used to use it until I realized it only gets the key right about 60% of the time. My buddy Johnny Cage who is a breaks legend turned me on to Rapid Evolution and it's fantastic. I really like that it also gives you relevant tracks to use that work with the current track. It's a java based program but you should check it out

http://www.mixshare.com/wiki/doku.ph...3_installation

Old 08-13-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

I wanted to make a mix today but had a busy day. I also wanted to eat dinner and only had time to do so right before bed. Therefore, I made a mini-mix while I ate dinner. Put these dope breaks in your earholes for auditory pleasure

https://soundcloud.com/dj-kidd-vicio...beats-mini-mix

Old 08-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Now that I have a new controller to work with I've decided to do a new mix series. Essentially, when I wake up on Saturday morning I'm just going to do a mix. Nothing will be preplanned so whatever happens will happen, and no editing will be done either. This will always be a breaks mix and it will be an hour long. I only have 3 hours with the free Soundcloud account so make sure to download it if you like it because it won't be up for too long. Let me know what you think and if you dig it, share it!

https://soundcloud.com/dj-kidd-vicio...nd-break-vol-1

Old 08-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

British Music Festival Locks DJ in Cage After Mistaking Him For Rogue Fan

Quote:
Evian Christ is a British producer and DJ who is perhaps most well-known for co-producing a song on Kanye West’s Yeezus. Today, he played a set at Leeds Festival in England, which is roughly equivalent to something like Lollapalooza. It probably would have been a great all-around day for Evian Christ had festival security managed to not lock him in a holding pen.
http://gawker.com/british-music-fest...ing-1727327128

One of the many down-sides to being one of 1,729 DJs at a festival haha

Old 09-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #9
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Well look at what came in the mail today:

Old 09-13-2015, 01:13 AM   #10
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

It's 2 am and I'm balls deep in some dope music. Do you know where your DJ is?

Old 09-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #11
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

My latest mix:

https://soundcloud.com/dj-kidd-vicio...nd-break-vol-2

Old 09-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #12
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Just ordered my new controller! Can't wait for it to get here and then I can run 4 decks w/ Traktor

Old 09-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

My new controller set-up. Got it mapped out for 4 decks. It's hella awesome!

Old 08-26-2016, 12:32 AM   #14
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Kind of forgot about this thread but I'll bump it with my hearthis.at account which has a good selection of several mixes from the last few years.

https://hearthis.at/djkiddvicious/

I also started a YouTube Channel which I'll be adding mixes to weekly so hit the subscribe button and give me a thumbs up if you're so inclined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ioLd_h1_0