The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Supperhero
Side-Kick

Default KISS fan here...

Big fan here.

Are you a KISS fan too? What's your fave album?

Supperhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
james-in-cali
Side-Kick

Default Re: KISS fan here...

Here too. Kinda a love hate relationship though. Favorite studio album is destroyer or hotter than hell. Favorite live album is alive..... duh. I have recently been listening to creatures a lot very underrated IMO.

If you haven't read this its great
http://grantland.com/features/chuck-...-hall-of-fame/

Last edited by james-in-cali; 05-16-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: added link
james-in-cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Supperhero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by james-in-cali View Post
Here too. Kinda a love hate relationship though. Favorite studio album is destroyer or hotter than hell. Favorite live album is alive..... duh. I have recently been listening to creatures a lot very underrated IMO.
Very underrated KISS albums:

The Elder
Lick It Up
Asylum
Psycho Circus

I love these 4, they kick ass.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
james-in-cali
Side-Kick

I agree with asylum. I think kulick was the best actual guitarist they ever had. I could never listen to elder it seemed like a concept album that didn't work for me

Old 05-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
Supperhero
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree with asylum. I think kulick was the best actual guitarist they ever had. I could never listen to elder it seemed like a concept album that didn't work for me
It's very epic and intense.
Give it a second chance.

Asylum is powerful.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:41 AM   #6
horrorwriter
Bad Moon Books

Kiss was my first real foray into rock music when I was younger. I remember my older brothers handing me the Rock N Roll Over album and told me to "Keep it" because they had more. I was around five years old at the time back in the very early 80's. My brothers were heavy into Pink FLoyd and Zep and Alice Cooper etc... I loved all of this stuff, but KISS had something incredibly unique about them. I played that record over and over while staring at the artwork. Since then, I became a huge hard rock/heavy metal fan. KISS is the band that grew me up through school and life in general. Stone Temple Pilots is the band that grew me up into marriage and kids. Anyway, Rock and Roll Over is my favorite album followed by Love Gun. Love Gun is a complex and dark album. Great band.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Godzilla2000
Arctic Conscience

Well then...let me paste this post here:

Anyways I have been getting a lot of flack from people for defending the musicianship skills of Tommy Thayer. This is really insane to me that KISS fans are the either or type of group that they are. Yes, I don't prefer that Tommy is using a gimmick that another man created, but no I am not going to let that cloud my judgement about his skills as a guitarist. This is where I get into trouble as most Ace fans immediately jump on the hatefest for Tommy Thayer over an executive decision that was not his to begin with. Do I think Tommy Thayer is better than Ace? Absolutely not! He does a very good job recreating Ace's solos but he is not Ace. I admire Ace's self taught mastery of the guitar just like I praise Tommy's abilities to play the guitar. If you really want to hear bad guitar playing Youtube is littered with really horrible "musicians". But God...some Ace leaning KISS fans make it sound like Tommy is playing My Pal Foot Foot every night he goes onstage. Seriously, why are KISS fans so militant? I know they're called the KISS Army but when you take a middle ground opinion on Ace and Tommy why do both camps act like you just insulted their family honor?

*Added* Seriously, I'm just not seeing Bad Drummer or Bad Guitarist here:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

- You are the ugliest people on the planet.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 05-18-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:56 AM   #8
james-in-cali
Side-Kick

Wow I have never heard that about Tommy thayer. He was in a kiss tribute band prior to being their guitar tech on the reunion tour right?

I also have never heard of ace being described as a good guitar player by anyone who is not a kiss fan.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:15 AM   #9
Godzilla2000
Arctic Conscience

Quote:
Wow I have never heard that about Tommy thayer. He was in a kiss tribute band prior to being their guitar tech on the reunion tour right?
Hmmm...you may not be aware of it but there really are some very vocal Ace leaning fans out there that have been brutal towards Tommy and Eric Singer using the Spaceman and Catman gimmicks Ace and Peter came up with. They base their opinions not on their skills but the fact they are dressed like Ace and Peter. My personal opinion...I'm not overly fond of them using those gimmicks...well mostly because Eric had to go dark and cut his lovely long blond locks...I just love blonds...but opinions aside I'm not going to harshly judge those two as musicians because they're using other people's characters.

Quote:
I also have never heard of ace being described as a good guitar player by anyone who is not a kiss fan.
Whenever there's a best guitarist list made by magazines Ace usually ranks very high up there. You can't really deny the truth that since the 70's Ace Frehley has inspired many people to pick up the instrument and shred a few mean soloes, Tommy Thayer included.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
Godzilla2000
Arctic Conscience

P.S. I still mourn the loss of Eric Singer's long blond hair. Someone should make an In Memoriam Image for me.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
Godzilla2000
Arctic Conscience

I thought anyone in this thread would be rather interested in this article:

https://music.yahoo.com/news/alterna...ing-stone.html

Old 06-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #12
Godzilla2000
Arctic Conscience

You know, I do a lot of thinking where I work because the Night Shift is absolutely the shift for self ruminations and Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning I was thinking of an amusing thought. As we all know Tommy Thayer was once the Road Manager for the group. I was thinking of how funny in a pranky way it would be if Tommy were to go get the guys some food, like he did as the Road Manager back in the day, but in full costume as the Spaceman.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:55 AM   #13
wikid0ne

Kiss music great
Kiss movies... not so great

wikid0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #14
Godzilla2000
Arctic Conscience

Hmmm...there's only been a few movies that featured KISS as a group. Are you referring to the movies that Gene Simmons was in? My fave guilty pleasure is the 70's T.V. movie KISS Meets the Phantom. I mean it's not Citizen Kane by any stretch but it's in the category of so bad it's good. How can you not love it? It's pure 70's cheese from the very first frame. But what really makes me chuckle the most is that they dubbed over Peter Criss' lines with a guy that sounds nothing like Peter.

Anyways, I was reading an interesting blurb that there may be problems within Tommy Thayer's marriage recently, that he's been spotted doing things without his wife beside him. I'd been having sneaking suspicions that maybe there was some trouble in paradise within the KISS machine, I just didn't have an idea what was going on. I'm not saying these rumors are true because you know how accurate gossip can be, but with all the pressure of his high profile, pressure cooker job, Ace centered fan backlash for portraying the Spaceman, that level of scrutiny can break a lesser partnership.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 07-27-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
choskins
Side-Kick

This thread was at the top of the forum, right after I finished reading this article. So, I thought y'all would find this interesting...

http://eddietrunk.com/kiss-in-talks-...-gene-simmons/

choskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #16
Godzilla2000
Arctic Conscience

Ho boy...I'm not touching upon the implications of that article with a ten foot pole. Personally, without Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley you might as well not call it KISS anymore. There are plenty of tribute bands out there that can be sanctioned acts. In fact if Gene and Paul are to retire they should just pull the strings themselves and create a Vegas act as opposed to a touring band. There is enough controversy as it is with Ace's and Peter's gimmicks being used by other people. I think should this go through this will spell the end of KISS as an arena act that can hold its own. If I were Tommy and Eric I'd get out while I can to save some credibility and do their own non-KISS related music. If they're smart they'll have saved up some cash to get them through without relying on gimmicks that were assigned to them. I personally think fans would love them more if they struck out on their own. You don't hear anyone talking negatively about Bruce Kulick and unfoundedly calling him a horrible musician like a lot of disenchanted fans have with Eric and Tommy do you? Of all the replacement members I think He, Vinnie Vincent, Mark St. John and Eric Carr lucked out the most with fan support. But Eric Singer and Tommy have been hated by a large section of fans for executive decisions they never made. I think they're great musicians being held back from truly showcasing their talent by a few guys trying to cling to a memory that should have died when the Reunion fizzled out. After Ace left they should have retired the makeup forever because the makeup is more closely associated with Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter, also to a lesser degree Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent. I bet Tommy and Eric would get more respect as a non-makeup wearing KISS unit. In fact Eric has more experience as a non-makeup wearing member of KISS. I hate seeing skilled musicians get shafted because of delusional, insecure executive decisions.

If I was a real musician I'd be pissed off at all this Mafia level creative control Doc McGhee seems to be taking away from Gene and Paul and Ace and Peter. You know, if I had my druthers I'd go back to the 90's and say it was Doc's growing influence and control that caused a rift between the original members that seemed to have been healing just fine. He truly has some creepy, Svengali level vibes radiating off him that make me shudder. But you know, that rift is what happens when you start listening to guys like Doc MgGhee filling your head full of their flatteries to make you more malleable to their hypnotic-like suggestions. Sure they're great guys with tons of calm patience because that's how they soften you up to do their bidding. If I was Eric and Tommy I'd seriously get the hell out of Dodge right now if it's possible. I could see the Hitlerian level of calm fascism starting when I'd read about the bum deals doled out to a trusting Peter and Ace concerning concepts they created. Reading that article the Control-Freak-Slavemaster-Creep-O-Meter is going off like a blaring warning Klaxon right now. I tell you that band will not be KISS anymore, it will be a meal ticket for those with direct control over it. (Not that it wasn't this to begin with when they hooked Ace and Peter into reuniting.)

Yes, I would advise Eric and Tommy not to renew their contracts. Eric has ESP to sing his favorite KISS songs and create his own original music. And Tommy, he can get Black N Blue back together or start a new band to explore his own creative potential.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 07-27-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #17
Godzilla2000
Arctic Conscience

I know these comments were most likely made by Gene as a reaction to Robin Williams' suicide.

https://music.yahoo.com/news/gene-si...ileOut=comment

All I have to say is screw Gene and his opinion. When I read an article like this...

http://news.yahoo.com/robin-williams...182834806.html

...it makes me mad that Gene would say a thing like this about suicide. He has absolutely no empathy whatsoever and cannot put himself in the other person's place. How would he like it if he was faced with a Parkinson's diagnosis? Unlike other illnesses Parkinson's robs you of your ability to function, like simple motor skills and talking. Not that I agree but I'm sure in Robin Williams' mind he must have felt that suicide was the only way for him to die with dignity so that people wouldn't see him degenerate into useless mess unable to do what he loves doing. I'm sure Gene would change his tune if he was faced with the prospect of being unable to play the bass or sing onstage anymore.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #18
Rorschach2012
$

Gene is clearly a huge douchebag. but that doesn't change my opinion on the band. Strutter and Detroit Rock City will forever go down as some of the greatest rock songs of all time.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #19
Godzilla2000
Arctic Conscience

I think people have known this for decade Rorschach. You know, from my perspective you want to give the band credit for its longevity but it's also that legend status that gives Gene and Paul the cahones to say these awful things about people with no remorse and we need less of this kind of behavior in this world.

*edit* Okay, I guess Gene is off the hook for now.
https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/gen...214700108.html

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 08-15-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #20
Godzilla2000
Arctic Conscience

To any lurkers and whatnot I thought you guys might enjoy this little tribute to Eric Carr.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 10-18-2014, 01:29 AM   #21
Godzilla2000
Arctic Conscience

I've been thinking ever since Peter Criss released his autobiography it would make for a compelling movie. I'm sure the people behind the Runaways movie would be the ones to go to for making his movie. As far as a suitable actor goes to play Peter I think Sam Rockwell would be perfect. I was watching a bit of this movie where he played a down on his luck rock star and it struck me how capably he could recreate the essence of Peter Criss. What do you guys think?