The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #101
Anubis
Sup?

Default Re: The Official Fantastic Four Thread - Part 1 Minus 1 = The Official Thantastic Thr

Pfft, puss ass Inhuman douche.

H.E.
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #102
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Default Re: The Official Fantastic Four Thread - Part 1 Minus 1 = The Official Thantastic Thr

I think I might take a look at the new series. So is Spider-Man be on the team as well as his own series? Will he ware the white costume in his solo books?

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #103
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Pfft, puss ass Inhuman douche.
Well, let's not throw insults at the jheri-curled one by acknowledging that Bendis drek either. The Beyonder had his appeal. But Doom he ain't.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #104
Scourge2099
Nihilistic Zombie Ninja

Beyonder should get revenge on Doom by trapping him in an endless loop involving his mom.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #105
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: The Official Fantastic Four Thread - Part 1 Minus 1 = The Official Thantastic Thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
Yeah i feel like its not that hard to make a new threats. You just have to make them incredibly formidable and not pushovers. Like when JMS introduced Morlun in his AMAZING SPIDERMAN. Now THAT is how you introduce a new villain. You've just got to make them scary and badass. Then again, Millar tried to do that when he introduced Doom's Master and that didnt really go over well, but i think that was more of an execution problem than the concept imo.
Morlun was powerful but simplistic, a basic vampire type. I recall most at the time not caring for him. You need to make them scary and bad ass but also with something of a personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
I think I might take a look at the new series. So is Spider-Man be on the team as well as his own series? Will he ware the white costume in his solo books?
Perhaps. Some of the Marcos Martin drawn issues were solicited with covers that bore Spidey wearing something 4-ish.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #106
colossus96
Side-Kick

ok, time for the stupid question of the day, i have lost track of all the stories, but do the fantantic four/three know spidermans identity?

colossus96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #107
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

Yes

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #108
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Like I said on another forum, Black Panther would make more sense being involved with this than being Substitute Daredevil Man.

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #109
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

But then who would look after Hell's Kitchen? Clearly, it's a job that only an African monarch or a blind lawyer can handle.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #110
Watchman
Adios, Cowboy

Springing from Fantastic Four- Marvel plans to kill a major character every quarter! Excelsior!

I don't mind death being a organic part of the story but this is just ridiculous. I can't wait to see people's thoughts about this. **** meet fan.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #111
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't really care. Marvel and DC both do very blatant, obviously idiotic things all the time. Just find yourself some decent stories amidst all of that and enjoy.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #112
kguillou
Side-Kick

Wow so the "death of spiderman" story is going to have marvel's "biggest media exposure ever"? I somehow doubt that, the mainstream media isn't going to care about ultimate spiderman....but with that said damn maybe they are gonna kill ult. Spidey....

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #113
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

Not surprising by any means, but to just throw it out there like there seems really odd. I guess it's just a 'well, you're all thinking it anyway, might as well say it ourselves', but that's really exposing yourself to the woman with the steel tipped boots.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #114
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: The Official Fantastic Four Thread - Part 1 Minus 1 = The Official Thantastic Thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
Springing from Fantastic Four- Marvel plans to kill a major character every quarter! Excelsior!

I don't mind death being a organic part of the story but this is just ridiculous. I can't wait to see people's thoughts about this. **** meet fan.
As Bleeding Cool noted, this week actually had some other less publicized deaths.

The reason is obvious. While the Internet is trying to stem the panic of Jan. 2011's sales being about 22% LESS than they were a year ago, those in the actual business are clearly getting nervous. They'd assumed that when comic sales held pat in 2009 that they'd survived the worst. Obviously, that isn't true. 2010 was a down year and at least Q1 2011 is not looking as hot. So, what do DC and Marvel do? The only things the middle aged dinosaurs who run both companies and who probably haven't talked to a real, live customer or fan outside of a heavily structured convention or meet-and-greet in over a decade's time do - roll out the old tricks with extra strength. Bring on the crossovers, bring on the deaths, bring on the stunts. They've all been played out? That's too bad, because, to paraphrase an old song lyric, "Yes, they have no new ideas" (instead of "yes, we have no bananas").

The people who run Marvel and DC are a lot like MEGAMAN bosses. At first they seem like a challenge until you become aware of the pattern. Then, even a baby could figure out their next move. But they're stuck with that pattern. They can't adapt. It's stick to the pattern or die faster.

What else is David Gabriel to do? He's been shooting three times and then hopping across the screen for like 20 years. It's all he knows how to do. He can't do anything else. So of course he's just going to do more of it.

Joe Casey all but called out the big two in an interview a month or so back, feeling the old tricks have been overplayed and they won't work again, and that now is the time of new ideas like at the start of the century. The problem is they aren't coming. Those architects of 2000-2003 are now the immobile dinosaurs of 2011, endlessly repeating their 1-4 moves until they die, with no variation.

New ideas are risky? Yes. But when they're successful, they can breed success for years to come. Marvel's current success was founded upon the risks they took at the dawn of the Joe Q era. The choice is either risk something new or pump out the old tricks whose results have diminished.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #115
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

Yeah, not to go off topic or anything, but the January drop was pretty frightening. I was talking to my LCS guy about it, and there was some real dread about it (no pun intended). January is traditionally a low month, but a near 20,000 unit drop on the whole curve is a **** dive.

Quote:
Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #116
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Yeah, most websites tried to diminish the Jan. 2011 drop as noting it is typical of January's to be slow. The years of 1998, 2006, and 2009 had a January that saw a 20-25% sales drop and those years were terrible, great, and ho-hum for overall sales (respectively). The dilemma is that low sales may merely be the start of a perfect storm. A bad economy that is not only taking retailers out of business, but taking customer spending power away as well. Fewer people have jobs, and those with jobs have less money to spare on increasingly expensive comics. New fans just are not coming. There are no new readers for print comics, and while rational digital sales are in their infancy, they're not the be-all of sales - most companies with decent digital distribution, like ARCHIE COMICS, claim at best it makes up 1% of their income. Mix that together and there could be the inner industry worry that 2011 won't be a typical recession year, but could really be a nail in the coffin if **** doesn't get better quickly.

The choice is either roll out the old bag of tricks one more time, in rapid fire, and hope that works again, or risk it all on a new idea or so. The risk is a risk; it's sink or swim. But the old tricks, well...they may work for a month, or a few months, with a minor boost, but then it is back to the old problems.

This is an economy where even NEW AVENGERS, Bendis' long running best seller for Marvel, can't even push past 70k. If the only way a comic can break 95k is via a media conference with newspapers and a death bag, things will get worse before they get better. And while the big two didn't cause the overall economic mess, their over indulgence of stunts, deaths, crossovers, etc. until everyone is weary and whatnot and they don't work as well for as long IS all their fault. Every bubble bursts. The question is if they can make another, and if it is even possible for it to be made.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #117
fifthfiend
M4J3ST1C L3G1SL4C3R4TOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
I don't really care. Marvel and DC both do very blatant, obviously idiotic things all the time. Just find yourself some decent stories amidst all of that and enjoy.
"Major" characters by and large tend to be the characters I hate or just don't give a **** about so I'm actually kind of on-board with this.

Of course by "Major" I'm sure what they actually mean is "they sort-of pass for major f you look at them sideways but we're not killing anyone that would actually risk sales or that any of our big-name writers considers his precious darling."

fifthfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #118
kguillou
Side-Kick

Quote:
Nah, they know they can't overuse it that blatantly. Even the most passive, carefree, love-everything comic fan would eventually object if you've got major characters dying every month.
Well.....so much for that huh corp? lol

Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #119
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Haha, I forgot I even said that. My cynicism failed me that time, it seems. Apparently, Marvel can be even more blatantly uncreative than I thought.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #120
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Haha, I forgot I even said that. My cynicism failed me that time, it seems. Apparently, Marvel can be even more blatantly uncreative than I thought.
Never underestimate the lack of creativity of the managers of any entertainment medium.

After all, most TV network executives could be replaced by an origami bird and there'd be little difference noticed.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #121
kguillou
Side-Kick

Its just weird that they would just come out and say something like that. I mean the guy literally said "Since Johnny storm's death worked so well, WE'RE GOING TO KILL MORE PEOPLE SO U SUCKERS CAN BUY THOSE TOO!", he literally just said it. And then he has the audacity to say its not about the death but the story afterwards....good lord man.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #122
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
Its just weird that they would just come out and say something like that. I mean the guy literally said "Since Johnny storm's death worked so well, WE'RE GOING TO KILL MORE PEOPLE SO U SUCKERS CAN BUY THOSE TOO!", he literally just said it. And then he has the audacity to say its not about the death but the story afterwards....good lord man.
The general gist of the Joe Q era, which lingers afterward, is to obnoxiously admit all the things that a business does but tries to play off as not being obnoxious stunts meant to manipulate customers, then whine when customers feel appalled upon being manipulated and don't follow suit as planned.

It's as if a manager went on TV and said, "our wholesale cost is only a dime, but we charge 2 dollars per because those morons really don't notice or care," and then being stunned when sales fell.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #123
kguillou
Side-Kick

I think it was Mark Millar (surprisingly enough) who actually said in one interview that comics come in 10 year cycles of quality. They're good for a decade then they suck. The 60's were booming, the 70's not so much, the 80's were a renaissance, then the 90's...really not so much, then the 00's just saw another creative renaissance and now we're dangerously approaching another bubble pop. It will be interesting to see if Marvel and DC can break the cycle this time.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #124
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

That's all a matter of opinion. There were plenty of good and iconic stories in the 1970's - "THE DEATH OF GWEN STACY" alone changed comics forever, and look how many times the X-Men have gotten ore from that original Phoenix saga. Think of characters made during that time who are still around and even getting films, such as Wolverine, Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, the "giant size" X-Men everyone knows like Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus, the Punisher, and so on. I think every decade, just like every year, has always had a mixture of output that was either great, mediocre, or rubbish, and it is a matter of finding which is which.

Hell, you will be hard pressed to find too many successful Marvel and/or DC characters who were created AFTER the 1970's ended - especially after the Silver Age ended in the mid 80's.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #125
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
Hell, you will be hard pressed to find too many successful Marvel and/or DC characters who were created AFTER the 1970's ended - especially after the Silver Age ended in the mid 80's.
What's the current age of comics called anyways?

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote