The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #51
hammerhedd11
OHaiMark

Default Re: What's the Last Book You Read/Finished? - Part 1 Page 1 Chapter 1 Paragraph 1 Lin

Audition by Ryu Murakami

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #52
TDK Joker
Float On

Default Re: What's the Last Book You Read/Finished? - Part 1 Page 1 Chapter 1 Paragraph 1 Lin

I just finished reading "The Prestige" by Christopher Priest. I got it fot Christmas and was reading it in bits.
I really enjoyed it and it's completely different to the film, which is one of my favourite films, so it was nice not to know exactly what happens. I would definitely recommend it if you enjoyed the film or thrillers or even magic!

Old 02-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #53
Yodaman
Legend

Bitterwood by James Maxey

Ethnography: Step-by-Step by David M. Fetterman

Old 02-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #54
hammerhedd11
OHaiMark

Song of Susannah by Stephen King

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #55
Harls
It's an L, not an I

The Great Gatsby, for a literature class. It was actually pretty good

Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #56
childeroland
Side-Kick

Philosophy, A Very Short Introduction, by Edward Craig.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

Old 02-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #57
GoblinWhirlwind
Calibrations

The Stand - Stephen King

I'd heard this was his best work, but to be honest I was expecting more. It seemed like he had ideas for different things but didn't really follow through... like Flagg. He seemed to be getting set up to be one badass villain, King's version of the Joker, but in the end he didn't do much... my reaction was much like Glen's. "That's it?"

Even though I was expecting something a little different, I still think it was decent, mostly because of the characters. I loved Nick and Tom Cullen... laws, yes. Maybe I shouldn't have read the complete and expanded version first, and instead read the regular version. M-O-O-N, that spells regular.

- Garrus

deviantart: http://jbot-photography.deviantart.com/

Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #58
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Breaking Dawn ~ Stephanie Mayer. Only cuz my kid reads them. Gah it was so boring I am going to need a coupla Stephen King books to get the bad taste out of my brain.

Proud Co-founder of Gambit’s Royal Flush
Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #59
Bruce Banner
Functional, but hammered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harls View Post
The Great Gatsby, for a literature class. It was actually pretty good

I'm proud of you Harls.

Now only if you can read other literature without being forced to because of class.

avy by Kane52630
Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #60
Harls
It's an L, not an I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
I'm proud of you Harls.

Now only if you can read other literature without being forced to because of class.
I haven't read strictly for pleasure in such a long time. I think it's because I don't know where to start again.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #61
ComicChick
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I finally finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince whew!

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #62
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

The War for Late Night - Bill Carter

FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE 'SLEEP DEPRIVED' FANS OF . .
__T_H_E__ D_A_R_K__ K_N_I_G_H_T__
Old 02-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #63
Max J Power
Trash Boat

Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

Really good autobiography. It made me feel like I wanted to be a comedian, then like I really did not. Martin's insights into his own personality show how much he can be more than just a wild and crazy guy.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #64
tommy l
Side-Kick

Man of two worlds--Julius Schwartz.

I love books on comic creators...this was very entertaining.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:03 AM   #65
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK Joker View Post
I just finished reading "The Prestige" by Christopher Priest. I got it for Christmas and was reading it in bits.
I really enjoyed it and it's completely different to the film, which is one of my favourite films, so it was nice not to know exactly what happens. I would definitely recommend it if you enjoyed the film or thrillers or even magic!
I've always wanted to read it since I'm a big fan of the movie. Is it really that different though? Just a quick, non-spoiler-ish question to appease my curiousity: does the "story-within-a-story-within-a-story" format become as prominent as it did in the film? Or was that Nolan's general take on epistolary novels? Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy l View Post
Man of two worlds--Julius Schwartz.

I love books on comic creators...this was very entertaining.
Haven't heard of this, I really enjoyed Alex Ross' Mythologies though. Will definitely look this up. Schwartz was/is one of my most favourite editors in the field.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Old 02-24-2011, 05:05 AM   #66
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

In the middle of Tom Sharpe's Indecent Exposure. Got me in trouble for laughing too hard at the sexual innuendos in public. (what they were hilarious!) Recommended for everyone who loves a good satire, especially the post-colonial/racist kind. And if you happen to be in High School and are fond of literature and have a po-co assignment, seriously READ THIS. It will make the school-of-thought so much more entertaining. Read this for fun, not work. If I had this before I took my O-Levels, the syllabus would've been so much more engaging.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Last edited by Nave 'Torment'; 02-24-2011 at 05:07 AM. Reason: anecdotes are important
Old 02-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #67
hammerhedd11
OHaiMark

Fahrenheit 451

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #68
Bruce Banner
Functional, but hammered.

Women by Charles Bukowski

avy by Kane52630
Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #69
GoblinWhirlwind
Calibrations

Started the Dark Tower series

- Garrus

deviantart: http://jbot-photography.deviantart.com/

Old 02-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #70
hammerhedd11
OHaiMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinWhirlwind View Post
Started the Dark Tower series
Just got to the final book myself. Hope you enjoy it.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #71
mongoose-mania
Gentleman

The War for Late Night by Bill Carter.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #72
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Shakespeare's Champion ~ Charlaine Harris

Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #73
Yodaman
Legend

The Hold Life Has by Catherine J. Allen

Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #74
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

More Anubis' greatest hits:
"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Old 02-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #75
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK Joker View Post
I just finished reading "The Prestige" by Christopher Priest. I got it fot Christmas and was reading it in bits.
'The Prestige' is one of my favorite novels. To this day it's my second favorite book after 'Lord of the Rings'.

Closed Thread