The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Misc. Comics

Old 10-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #76
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Buffy Season 9

I'm enjoying Angel & Faith more too. Although Buffy at least seems to feel more like it should this time around. Season 8 felt like a weird parallel universe to me.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #77
Lord
All Mighty

I liked Season 9 and am liking Season 9 too but i think i prefered Angel & Faith, one of the reasons is that each issue, even the ones that were part of a 4 part storyline felt like an episode of the show, it had enough emotion and events to be so, while the Buffy Season 9 comics have been fun, but i got to the end of the 4th issue, and in the whole the entire story arc felt like a single episode instead of each issue being able to stand a bit on its oun.

I didn't read much of Angel: After the Fall, but it's been good, the comics after 17 that may not be canon as Whedon wasn't involved received some negative reception from some fans in the buffy forums, expecially Angel: Aftermath, but the plot with that demon seem quite interesting, i also read the Spike mini-series, it was an ok send off to the Angel main bads, Wolfram & Hart, i hope they don't return yet again as it would be way too repetitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #78
cheungcheung
Side-Kick

The art in angel and faith 5 was horrible. Harmony did not look like harmony at all.

cheungcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #79
O'Haire
Awesome

Yeah it was awful. Made me really appreciate Rebekah Isaacs.

Hope the next fill in artist is a lot better.

O'Haire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #80
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

MAJORLY spoilery cover

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #81
O'Haire
Awesome

First thing about Buffy's book that has me excited.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #82
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I don't know what it is about the Buffyverse, but these writers really seem to have a thing for loss of body parts. Two of the most shocking scenes during the two series for me were Caleb gouging Xander's eye out and Spike getting his hands cut off by psycho slayer (even if they were reattached later).

Killing.... thats standard fare in the Buffyverse. But maiming? That's ****ed up.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #83
Lord
All Mighty

Are they trying to change as many things in Buffy''s life as they can?
I mean, they're
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
giving her a baby and cutting off her arm

Quote:
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #84
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

It does seem a little over the top. I was fine with the bun in the oven, but this...lol.

JustABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #85
O'Haire
Awesome

Having a hard time getting into Buffy. But I do look forward to seeing how they handle the major **** they seem to be throwing at her.

Angel & Faith has been good stuff. Probably enjoying it more because it's dealing with my favorite characters in the Buffyverse Angel, Faith, and Giles. This new Daddy Issues arc is already off to a good start with the return of
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Drusilla

Old 01-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #86
Lord
All Mighty

I fear Buffy may get way too depressing in this season, i kinda miss the spirit of the first 4 seasons where she was just growing up, however it seems like the writers weren't as interested in the college years as they were in the high school years, or even them moving on and having big careers, well, Xander got a job so there's that.

However Willow lost all the potential she had, i wish she continued to learn magic, but also started a prosperous career as even the government was interest in her during season 2.

Angel & Faith has been my favourite comic in the entire buffyverse, but i hope the Angel show and comic characters return, like Connor, Illyria, the cordelia dragon, Charles Gunn, etc.

I mean, isn't Angel & Faith like Angel's season 7 if After the Fall was like his season 6?
I also want to know what happened to the xanxu prophecy, it was one of the main themes in the show and Season 8 seemed to imply that it was dropped

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #87
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Drusilla miniseries coming!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #88
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Whoa, written by Juliet Landau? That's gonna be interesting...

Old 03-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #89
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I like that. It really shows how invested she was in the character.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #90
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Spike and Willow minis coming

Old 04-26-2012, 03:33 AM   #91
Robin91939
Master Tim

Hey guys,

This isn't a Buffy question, but a Dark Horse question. Does Dark Horse publish books with adult language, like Image does? I'm thinking of submitting a script to them, but if they don't accept adult language, they'll throw it right in the garbage. Truthfully, I don't read enough Dark Horse to know the answer to this. Anyone know?

-R

Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 AM   #92
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Probably skipping both of those. I can only ever deal with Spike in limited doses (he's already kind of in the main Buffy comic more than I'd like), and Willow's been mildly irritating since she turned all emo over the Seed's destruction.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. I'll almost definitely be picking up the Willow mini for two reasons: 1) Angel, 2) Jeff Parker.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #93
O'Haire
Awesome

Willow is definitely more interesting to me. Mainly because she hasn't been in season 9 much. So I look forward to a book focused on her.

Spike's mini sounds kind of meh.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #94
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, I know they're different characters and all, but I couldn't help thinking that the premise for that mini sounds an awful lot like Angel's story after he and Buffy split at the end of season 3. I mean, how many times are we gonna retread ground with Spike that we already saw with Angel because they're both vamps with souls who love Buffy?

Old 04-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #95
cheungcheung
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Yeah, I know they're different characters and all, but I couldn't help thinking that the premise for that mini sounds an awful lot like Angel's story after he and Buffy split at the end of season 3. I mean, how many times are we gonna retread ground with Spike that we already saw with Angel because they're both vamps with souls who love Buffy?
Agreed.

cheungcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #96
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

I am loving Buffy Season 9, Buffy is still awesome.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #97
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

In a season already rife with hot button and headline-grabbing topics, Dark Horse's "Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9" is adding another buzzworthy wrinkle to Joss Whedon's universe of vampire-killing: a Slayer who is both gay and a man.

Announced in a feature for Out Magazine, fan favorite writers Jane Espenson and Drew Greenberg will introduce new Slayer Billy to Buffy's world in December's issue #14 of the canonical series. The writer explained that the idea came while working on her "Husbands" web series. "I already knew [the character] Cheeks, and he has a line in Season 1 of Husbands, that Brad [Bell] wrote, that really struck me about how Cheeks has an 'exotic femininity' that's equated with weakness," Espenon said. "I thought, Gee, all the work we’ve done with Buffy is about being female, and how that doesn’t mean that you are lesser. It suddenly struck me: If being feminine doesn’t mean that your’e lesser, then liking guys also doesn’t mean you're lesser. For very good reason, we've focused on the female empowerment part of Buffy, but I wondered, Did we leave something out? What if someone in high school is looking up to Buffy as a role model, and we're saying: You can’t be a Slayer."

In Billy, fans won't get a total revision of Buffy's longtime standard that only women are empowered with vampire-killing abilities. Instead, Espenson promised the young man would train himself to slay a la Batman – a character arc that allows for metaphorical responses to bullying.

"Billy is someone who sees a need in his hometown and steps up to fill the void, even at great personal risk," Greenberg said in the story. "He may not have the actual powers of the Slayers, but he's determined to be his own kind of hero, one who's sort of modeled after those who do have the power, and he sets out to make due with what he has. In the process, I think he hopes to follow the lead of all the strong, powerful Slayers who came before him and live up to the standard they set."

Asked about whether the introduction is chasing the trend of high profile gay characters in everything from Archie Comics to the X-Men, Espenson said, "We're hardly pandering when we make a comic book. There's always growing pains when making progress, but I think cycnicism in the face of inclusion may not be a profitable route in making progress."

For more with both creators an an additional look inside the series, check Out Magazine and stay tuned to CBR News for more on "Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=40931

Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #98
O'Haire
Awesome

I'm finding Buffy's book really damn uninteresting. Seems like all the interesting characters and stories are in Angel & Faith now. And Willow fits in so well with A&F that I wish she would stay in that series forever.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #99
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Looks like Buffy is about to make a familiar new friend

Old 12-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #100
O'Haire
Awesome

Buffy's book has been extremely boring. About time something interesting happens.

Thank god for Angel & Faith. That's **** is awesome.