The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Misc. Comics

Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #101
Lord Valumart
Hype's Dr - It's Canon

Default Re: Buffy Season 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
In a season already rife with hot button and headline-grabbing topics, Dark Horse's "Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9" is adding another buzzworthy wrinkle to Joss Whedon's universe of vampire-killing: a Slayer who is both gay and a man.
To be honest I thought thats where things were going with Andrew in Series 7...

Anyhow, I've only just finished Season 8 in trades and dived right into the first Angel and Faith trade. WOW! It's so much better than anything in Season 8. It feels so much more faithful to the chracters. The art is so much better and it just feels like a lot more is in each issue.

One of my main issues with Season 8 was, apart from everyone looking almost the same apart from Giles and Xander, the fact that Xander was the only one I could actually hear in my head saying those lines. Everyone else felt forced and unnatural. Even Giles spouting info dumps felt forced and that his main point.

But Angel and Faith has, so far, proved much better at capturing the voices of both it's leads and Giles in his brief sections than Season 8 ever did. I'm not really looking forward to the first trade of Season 9 because of this.

Also, am I about right in alternating Angel and Faith, then Buffy, then Angel and Faith, etc? And fitting in the Durcilla, Willow and Spike minis when they come out?

Twitter: @lordvalumart
Lord Valumart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #102
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I never had any trouble hearing the characters voices when I was reading S8. I absolutely loved the first four arcs/first half of S8, but it kinda fell apart afterwards, and I have yet to read all the way to the end.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #103
Lord Valumart
Hype's Dr - It's Canon

It might just have been me then. I mean Joss really went with the whole "it's a comic we have unlimited budget!!" thing with Season 8. It kinda goes a bit mental towards the end. I guess a lot of what felt unnatrual about the characters voices to me was them being put in more insane situations than before.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #104
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

I like Billy. Dowling, too. It's weird, but Buffy in season 9 kind of feels more like some of the best parts of Angel than itself. Buffy's got a competent, professional team of vampire-hunters and she's free to devote herself to fighting the supernatural without distractions like rent and family issues and such--much like the gang at Angel Investigations around seasons 2 and 3 of Angel.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #105
dnno1
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-29-2013, 01:22 AM   #106
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

I just read the Buffy Season 9 trades out so far, Freefall, On Your Own, and Guarded. I have to say that I think they're fantastic. I gave season 8 a passing grade because I thought the characters' voices were captured well and I loved the empowerment angle. But it was shallow and directionless. This season returns to developing Buffy and using supernatural shenanigans as a commentary on "normalcy." I really enjoyed seeing her go from being a barista, living with roomies like a regular 20 something, to turning down a lucrative job in favour of her beliefs and heroic nature. Billy the Vampire Slayer ended on a good note, with a new team of organized scoobies.

But the comics are still a little bumpy. Buffy's pregnancy was a fantastic plot until the lacklustre resolution took the steam out of it. Xander and Dawn are completely boring, and get little attention. Buffy, Willow, and Xander should be besties for as long the franchise exists, so it feels a little sad that Willow and Xander are barely scoobies at this point. But the new team doesn't look half bad. The cop could be a love interest for Buffy (who isn't Spike! Bonus!!), and I loved that they made slaying into a tool to empower a gay youth.

I can't wait to check out Angel and Faith, and Willow's mini.

While it's far from perfect, I feel way more comfortable with this season as a continuation of the show than I did about season 8. I noticed that this thread is pretty dead. Is the rest of the season not as good or are people not as interested in Buffy comics anymore?

Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #107
Lord Valumart
Hype's Dr - It's Canon

I've also been reading trades. I've found Buffy to be kinda in the three I've read. I wasn't taken by the Billy story at all. He was just some kid that decided to slay vampires. How is he any different from Xander, Oz, Giles, Riley, Gunn, Wesley...?

Angel and Faith is a much better comic. The story is more interesting, it's got nice ties to everything in the Buffy/Angel universe, the art is better, and every issue, even in trade format, just feels crammed with stuff making it feel so full.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #108
O'Haire
Awesome

For me Buffy's comic has been completely forgettable this season. Only really started getting good with the last couple of issues IMO.

Angel & Faith has been awesome though right from the start. Much more interesting stories with characters I actually care about. That twist in the last issue had me laughing pretty hard. Last thing I was is expecting was Giles to be resurrected into a 10 year old version of his body.

Last edited by O'Haire; 05-30-2013 at 04:00 PM.
O'Haire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #109
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

My favourite thing about the Buffy-verse is Buffy herself, so when she's handled well I tend to enjoy everything else a lot more. I know a lot of people like the world for all the side characters and supporting cast (which I still do love), but Buffy is definitely one of my all time favourite characters. I'm really enjoying her growth in season 9 so far, as opposed to her nondevelopment in season 8. I'm sad that her title and life is lacking Willow and Xander, but at least the world is expanding and growing with a new cast.

I like Billy and I liked his story quite a bit. But when Buffy showed up at the end and he was recruited to her team it felt forced. I like the character and the idea behind him, but the execution was off (maybe that's a Jane Espenson in comics thing?). But I haven't read anything past Billy the Vampire Slayer Part 2, so maybe it makes more sense for him to be around. I know the writers said that Billy serves as a reminder to Buffy about all the benefits of being a slayer, since he chose to be one when she sometimes considers it a giant burden. Which is a great idea, but there needs to be more justification for why he's on her team.

I like Faith a lot, but I could never get into Angel. And especially after the events of Twilight, I'm even less eager to delve into that guilt/shame/moody fest. But the bits with Faith in season 8 were fantastic so I'll definitely pick up Angel and Faith when I have some money.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #110
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

They really need to ground Buffy again, haven't read much of s9 so it may have been better but I feel like they get to carried away now that is a comic.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #111
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

From what I've read of Season 9 it's way toned down. It still has some craziness, but it's more like the T.V show than Season 8, thank goodness.