The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Old 11-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #751
bullets
bang bang

Default Re: The High-Def Thread, Now With 95% Less HD DVD - Part 1

Those fake Criterions are brilliant I wish more films would get the criterion treatment.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure hits blu ray this Tuesday , it's on my wish list.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #752
Figs
Banned User

It's about time! Schindler's List and On the Waterfront up for preorder on Bluray.

http://www.amazon.com/Schindlers-Ann...ndler%27s+list

http://www.amazon.com/Waterfront-Cri...the+waterfront

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #753
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
It's about time! Schindler's List and On the Waterfront up for preorder on Bluray.

http://www.amazon.com/Schindlers-Ann...ndler%27s+list

http://www.amazon.com/Waterfront-Cri...the+waterfront

Laugh now, laugh later.

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #754
bullets
bang bang

Thanks to pawn shops and such I have 600 blu rays. I might have to start selling them.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #755
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Just purchased The Duelists Blu on Amazon Been waiting for this one for a long time.
My second favorite Scott film after Alien.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #756
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Now looking forward to Bob Fosse's "Cabaret" Blu Ray, apparently coming out soon.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #757
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Looking forward to Naked Lunch hitting Blu-ray. One of the few Cronenberg films I have yet to see.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #758
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

^Great avy

Laugh now, laugh later.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #759
Figs
Banned User

On the front page of SHH, they have details about The Dark Knight Trilogy Ultimate box set.

I'm just crossing my fingers that BB and TDK get a new transfer. Otherwise I probably won't buy it.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #760
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Batman Begins would probably benefit from a remastering but TDK looks excellent to me...even though I know a lot of people nitpick the hell out of it but I think that is reactionary to how amazing the IMAX filmed scenes look in comparison but to each his own. They also say the new set is going to include all new special features which could potentially mean new Heath Ledger stuff which would be welcomed.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #761
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIsNotBlue View Post
Batman Begins would probably benefit from a remastering but TDK looks excellent to me...even though I know a lot of people nitpick the hell out of it but I think that is reactionary to how amazing the IMAX filmed scenes look in comparison but to each his own. They also say the new set is going to include all new special features which could potentially mean new Heath Ledger stuff which would be welcomed.
Yeah, BB definitely needs it but as you said it's mainly people who nitpick that don't like TDK's transfer. I think it looks good mainly because I haven't trained my eyes to catch everything. I still can't make out edge enhancement. I think that's what it's called, where there are little halos around the actors. The only reason I say I want a new transfer for TDK is because you might as well have the best visuals possible after having jumped to a new format that is way better than DVD.

I'm also crossing my fingers for some Heath Ledger videos. It was Nolan that didn't want to include that kind of footage and his alternate takes out of respect for him. I wouldn't be surprised if WB puts all that stuff on there since Nolan is done with his films and it's been around 6 years since TDK came out. It was '07 right?

Old 06-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #762
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

I'd buy the new boxset if the Ledger stuff was there. I was really disappointed with the TDK blu ray for its lack of Joker related special features

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #763
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Yeah, BB definitely needs it but as you said it's mainly people who nitpick that don't like TDK's transfer. I think it looks good mainly because I haven't trained my eyes to catch everything. I still can't make out edge enhancement. I think that's what it's called, where there are little halos around the actors. The only reason I say I want a new transfer for TDK is because you might as well have the best visuals possible after having jumped to a new format that is way better than DVD.

I'm also crossing my fingers for some Heath Ledger videos. It was Nolan that didn't want to include that kind of footage and his alternate takes out of respect for him. I wouldn't be surprised if WB puts all that stuff on there since Nolan is done with his films and it's been around 6 years since TDK came out. It was '07 right?
Well there is a valid technical reason that Batman Begins could look and sound better. It was mastered to fit onto a 30GB HD DVD and then was simply ported over onto a Blu-ray disc. If they remaster it with a 50GB Blu-ray disc in mind I am sure it would be better quality if only slight. Yes edge enhancement was one of the main nitpicks with the TDK Blu-ray but I have always maintained edge enhancement really is something that a person has to actively be looking for or they are such nitpicking nerds technical nerds that they have trained themselves to spot it. If you just sit back and relax and enjoy the movie without looking for flaws with your mental microscope then the TDK disc is great. I also heard that the edge enhancement was there even when the film was in theaters so I don't think it is something that WB did specifically for the Blu-ray.

Yeah it is obvious that there is more behind the scenes Joker stuff. Whether is even that comprehensive or the material is still in bad taste though is another question. I think as long as they put it in the form as a tribute video it would be nice.

Last edited by RedIsNotBlue; 06-27-2013 at 05:59 PM.
RedIsNotBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #764
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIsNotBlue View Post
Well there is a valid technical reason that Batman Begins could look and sound better. It was mastered to fit onto a 30GB HD DVD and then was simply ported over onto a Blu-ray disc. If they remaster it with a 50GB Blu-ray disc in mind I am sure it would be better quality if only slight. Yes edge enhancement was one of the main nitpicks with the TDK Blu-ray but I have always maintained edge enhancement really is something that a person has to actively be looking for or they are such nitpicking nerds technical nerds that they have trained themselves to spot it. If you just sit back and relax and enjoy the movie without looking for flaws with your mental microscope then the TDK disc is great. I also heard that the edge enhancement was there even when the film was in theaters so I don't think it is something that WB did specifically for the Blu-ray.

Yeah it is obvious that there is more behind the scenes Joker stuff. Whether is even that comprehensive or the material is still in bad taste though is another question. I think as long as they put it in the form as a tribute video it would be nice.
I agree. I have to force myself to not talk crap on the Blu-ray forums towards those fools. As you said, you really need to be looking for EE to notice it. I'm glad I don't see it in most of my movies. It's funny how they cry about some transfers. A film's transfer will get damn good reviews and some people will still call it crap.

Honestly, I don't think showing Heath's different takes and whatnot in bad taste at all. Like I said, it's been roughly 6 years.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #765
Figs
Banned User

Solomon Kane is finally coming out in the States on Bluray.

http://www.amazon.com/Solomon-Kane-B...s=solomon+kane

Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #766
Figs
Banned User

Well, according to that new announcement on the front page, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight won't be receiving new transfers. That ultimate trilogy box set is a waste now.

Ultimate my ass. I have a good feeling WB will never release those two with better transfers. They know they won't need to considering they'll always sell.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #767
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

$99 for movies I already own with two or three new features? No thank you.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #768
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
$99 for movies I already own with two or three new features? No thank you.
Exactly.

So tired of lazy companies. Those first two films really do need a better transfer, especially BB.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #769
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

New transfers would have had me interested in buying it. I already have those original blu ray's. It's just lazy double dipping.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #770
Ipodman
Love Tension

Well this is something to look forward to...

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #771
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Nice, but I might wait for a bigger collection in a few years.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #772
bullets
bang bang

Looks really cool , but I don't ever buy box sets because they take up too much room.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #773
Havok83
Side-Kick

where the heck did you get that? Its uber cool!

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #774
Tron Bonne
Trying Not To Look...

I don't think that's came out yet.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #775
Drizzle
Bangarang, Robin

Impressive, but they should have just waited a year to release that after DOFP comes out.