The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #926
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 28,222
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

ALMOST done



__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline  
Old 07-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #927
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 28,222
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Three pack coming this fall!



__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #928
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator
 
TheCorpulent1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 154,609
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
....tho he keeps forgetting S&M Thor
No, I remember that run. Bill Moessner-Loebs' part of that era was pretty awful, but Warren Ellis' wasn't quite as bad as I originally thought. It was definitely different for a Thor story, but it worked as a finite thing.

Plus, I said Fraction's run is "one of" the worst, not the absolute worst. Although it's pretty high up there.

__________________
"This I grant to you: You may tell your grandchildren that you stood for a time against the mighty Thor."
- Marvel Heroes
TheCorpulent1 is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 04:44 AM   #929
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 28,222
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Skuttlebutt update




__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #930
Panthro
Our Savior Hellboy
 
Panthro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cat's Lair, Third Earth
Posts: 18,376
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
No, I remember that run. Bill Moessner-Loebs' part of that era was pretty awful, but Warren Ellis' wasn't quite as bad as I originally thought. It was definitely different for a Thor story, but it worked as a finite thing.

Plus, I said Fraction's run is "one of" the worst, not the absolute worst. Although it's pretty high up there.
Which Thor run would you say is the absolute worst?

__________________
SUPERMAN: You know something Bruce? You're not always right.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline  
Old 08-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #931
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 28,222
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Man I JUST found out JIM was canceled! This STINKS.
I liked he book. Why is it every time I get into a book Marvel's gotta go and CHANGE things, renumber stuff, or some dumbA*S thing?!

__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline  
Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #932
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 28,222
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

I really wish Marvel would do a book like Ages of thunder covering the different Ragnaroks eras of Asgard.
They're close with Gods of Thunder but I want to see stories from the different eras.

__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline  
Old 08-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #933
seahammer
Asgardian
 
seahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Navigating the Sea of Space
Posts: 1,585
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Just read #11. It was AMAZING. I won't say anything about it since it just came out today and I want everyone to have the chance to read it themselves, but Aaron gave us a great final issue of this nearly year-long arc.

I'm going to go read it again now...

(see what I did there? 3 Thors...)

seahammer is offline  
Old 08-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #934
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 28,222
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

lol Yeah SH Godbomb conclusion was kick arse!!!

__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline  
Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #935
chamber-music
Hail Hydra
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 24,736
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Is the malekith arc up next?

__________________
H.E
chamber-music is offline  
Old 08-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #936
seahammer
Asgardian
 
seahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Navigating the Sea of Space
Posts: 1,585
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Is the malekith arc up next?
Yeah, it is. Issue 12 comes out in just a couple weeks (yay!), and it deals with Thor returning to Midgard. It seems to be sort of a filler/set up issue.

Then issue 13 comes out in September, and that's the one with Malekith on the cover riding a huge flying cat!

seahammer is offline  
Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #937
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 28,124
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
lol Yeah SH Godbomb conclusion was kick arse!!!
Yes, yes it was...

Quote:
And for one moment that stretched across time...

...every God in all the universe closed their eyes...

...and prayed to Thor.
Right up there with Simonson and JMS for me. It was a tad bit long, but stil incredible, with some of my favorite art I can remember. Usually these endings are letdowns, but not here.

And while I am looking forward to the Malekith, Ribic saying he is returning for the arc after has me far more excited. As is the news that the young and King Thor will be returning down the line. He ha made this look work wonders for Thor and his Mjolnir is perfect. Probably my favorite interpretation of the hammer. His handle and pommel are unmatched.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is online now  
Old 08-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #938
seahammer
Asgardian
 
seahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Navigating the Sea of Space
Posts: 1,585
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Right up there with Simonson and JMS for me. It was a tad bit long, but stil incredible, with some of my favorite art I can remember. Usually these endings are letdowns, but not here.
Yeah, Aaron took the time to do a proper "denouement" for this story. You could whip out the ol' "plot diagram" for this arc and easily find textbook examples for each aspect of the plot.

Quote:
And while I am looking forward to the Malekith, Ribic saying he is returning for the arc after has me far more excited. As is the news that the young and King Thor will be returning down the line. He ha made this look work wonders for Thor and his Mjolnir is perfect. Probably my favorite interpretation of the hammer. His handle and pommel are unmatched.
Agreed, Ribic's art and designs have been exceptional.

seahammer is offline  
Old 08-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #939
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick
 
Webfoot Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,050
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

It'll be interesting to see how Aaron weaves in the traditional Asgardian cast of characters and the other versions of Thor into future arcs. I'm not too familiar with Garney's work so what is everyone's opinion of him?

Webfoot Hero is offline  
Old 08-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #940
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 28,222
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

I like his work, tho there aren't to may Thor Artists I haven't liked

__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline  
Old 08-19-2013, 04:28 AM   #941
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 28,222
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Uploaded a lot of my 3 models of Thor stuff, both movie and comics

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...b6379424355170

__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline  
Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #942
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator
 
TheCorpulent1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 154,609
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthro View Post
Which Thor run would you say is the absolute worst?
Hmm, that's a tough one. I don't usually think about the bad Thor comics as much as the good ones.

I'd probably have to go with Roy Thomas' run just prior to Warren Ellis'--the one that tried to force Thor to stay on Earth more after "Blood & Thunder," and gave him the High Evolutionary as a surrogate Odin and the Godpack as surrogate Asgardians. It was just boring all-around. Even Jane Foster coming back and trying to reconnect with Thor didn't really pan out in any interesting way; she just winds up tutoring the Godpack and New Men a bit, then she's forgotten again when Ellis comes along. Also, M. C. Wyman's terrible wannabe-Liefeld art is just awful to look at. It's a shame because I know Wyman later becomes capable of doing some good work. I suspect he was editorially directed to imitate the then-popular Liefeld for this run too, although that's just speculation on my part. Just a terrible bore to get through, and one of the few times I thought about just giving up on my attempt to read through all of Thor's comics. It's probably a big part of what turned me around on Ellis' "Worldengine" story afterward, too. That was like a breath of fresh air after the terrible Godpack crap, in spite of having some problems of its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Man I JUST found out JIM was canceled! This STINKS.
I liked he book. Why is it every time I get into a book Marvel's gotta go and CHANGE things, renumber stuff, or some dumbA*S thing?!
Well, in this case it was because JIM just wasn't selling well at all. It sucks because this run showed that Sif's got it in her to be a lead character rather than just Thor's girlfriend. But hey, at least we got the big reunion with Beta Ray Bill to close it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
It'll be interesting to see how Aaron weaves in the traditional Asgardian cast of characters and the other versions of Thor into future arcs. I'm not too familiar with Garney's work so what is everyone's opinion of him?
Ron Garney has been one of my favorite artists since his Captain America work with Mark Waid. That was a lot of years ago and his art was a bit looser back then, but he became the regular penciler on Amazing Spider-Man toward the end of JMS' run and his work was considerably more refined but still kept its distinctive energy and expressive style. All of his covers for God of Thunder I've seen so far seem like he's continued refining--his linework is tight and gorgeous and all his art's other qualities look as great as I remember. I'm super-excited that he's the next artist.

__________________
"This I grant to you: You may tell your grandchildren that you stood for a time against the mighty Thor."
- Marvel Heroes
TheCorpulent1 is offline  
Old 08-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #943
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 28,124
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

JIM wasn't advertised at all. How do you expect any book to get traction if you treat it like it doesn't exist? Sadly this seems to be the case with many female lead books.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 08-24-2013 at 06:02 AM.
DarthSkywalker is online now  
Old 08-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #944
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 6,090
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

So is anyone else feelin uneasy for uncanny avengers? I am dreading this. Thor has one hell of a moment by defeating Gorr, and absorbing a weapon that was capable of killing ALL Gods across freakin time. By the looks of it, he's going to get rocked hard by an amped up Sentry. Hope Thor holds his own. It's nice seeing him written with respect lately, don't want to see him getting his ass kicked to show someone else's power, again.

Which is exactly what seems to be going on with this Thor vs Sentry fight. By the way that last issue ended, Thor is going to get rocked, hard, and embarrassingly, and I just don't want that issue to ever come out lol

__________________
hi
jaqua99 is offline  
Old 08-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #945
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator
 
TheCorpulent1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 154,609
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

That's how it's been throughout Marvel's history, for the most part. Thor does all kinds of crazy, high-power feats in his own series, but then he's basically treated as just some guy in Avengers comics. Granted, it's kind of necessary since Thor could beat a lot of the Avengers' villains all by himself, but it's definitely annoying. Kind of a similar situation to what we saw with Superman in the Justice League cartoon. A lot of people complained when that show started that Superman was treated like a chump way too much, but it was necessary because otherwise all the other Leaguers would get knocked out but Superman would just shrug almost everything off and handle things himself.

__________________
"This I grant to you: You may tell your grandchildren that you stood for a time against the mighty Thor."
- Marvel Heroes
TheCorpulent1 is offline  
Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #946
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 6,090
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
That's how it's been throughout Marvel's history, for the most part. Thor does all kinds of crazy, high-power feats in his own series, but then he's basically treated as just some guy in Avengers comics. Granted, it's kind of necessary since Thor could beat a lot of the Avengers' villains all by himself, but it's definitely annoying. Kind of a similar situation to what we saw with Superman in the Justice League cartoon. A lot of people complained when that show started that Superman was treated like a chump way too much, but it was necessary because otherwise all the other Leaguers would get knocked out but Superman would just shrug almost everything off and handle things himself.
I mean, I always imagined Thor and Sentry had a pretty close power set. I'd give a full on PIS-less fight to Thor, cause he's Thor, the warrior, who will ALWAYS fight no matter what. Sentry is amped up, he's powered up right now, so he should be able to beat Thor. I just want Thor to look good in the fight. I'd love to see Thanos just come in and lay the smack down on sentry for trying to talk about death lol

__________________
hi
jaqua99 is offline  
Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #947
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator
 
TheCorpulent1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 154,609
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

At their respective peaks, the Sentry totally outclasses Thor. But the Sentry's powers are built in part on people's knowledge and recognition of him, which is why he and Reed Richards wiped him from the world's collective memory in his first mini-series. Since his return, he's been drastically less powerful, which seems like it should put him right around Thor's level. I mean, we saw that Thor had the power to kill the Void in Siege, which is supposed to be identical in power to the Sentry, but I guess maybe the Death seed is juicing the Sentry up a bit. I actually thought it was kind of pathetic that Thor couldn't dispose of the falling Peak station without Sunfire doing most of the work a couple issues ago, so clearly my idea of Thor's power level and Remender's disagree.

__________________
"This I grant to you: You may tell your grandchildren that you stood for a time against the mighty Thor."
- Marvel Heroes
TheCorpulent1 is offline  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #948
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 6,090
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
At their respective peaks, the Sentry totally outclasses Thor. But the Sentry's powers are built in part on people's knowledge and recognition of him, which is why he and Reed Richards wiped him from the world's collective memory in his first mini-series. Since his return, he's been drastically less powerful, which seems like it should put him right around Thor's level. I mean, we saw that Thor had the power to kill the Void in Siege, which is supposed to be identical in power to the Sentry, but I guess maybe the Death seed is juicing the Sentry up a bit. I actually thought it was kind of pathetic that Thor couldn't dispose of the falling Peak station without Sunfire doing most of the work a couple issues ago, so clearly my idea of Thor's power level and Remender's disagree.
Did you ever read blood and thunder? That was one of the, maybe 2 or 3 times I can ever recall seeing Thor legitimately out for blood. When he tore through beta ray bill (almost killing him), the surfer, adam warlock, and the entire infinity watch, under his own power (before getting the gem)

Granted, they kind of Jobbed to Thor, but he still had the offensive to put them down, regardless if they held back (which they did at a few points)

And when you say "respective peaks", I assume you aren't referring to any of Thor's power ups, right? When he was king of Asgard during Reigning I believe it was, I don't think Sentry out classes that Thor.

And when Thor learned Rune magic? No way Sentry outclasses that Thor. That Thor could probably one shot him lol


and this fight MAY not be as lopped sided as we think, check it out. An image from the up coming issue. Looks like Sentry seemed to have put Thor down, and left, thinking he defeated him, but Thor then throws the hammer, and hits sentry with a barrage of lighting?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

__________________
hi
jaqua99 is offline  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #949
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!
 
jonathancrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Caverns in Arkham Island
Posts: 6,870
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Skuttlebutt update

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:




It looks terrific!

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Aaron
"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #950
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator
 
TheCorpulent1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 154,609
Default Re: By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Did you ever read blood and thunder? That was one of the, maybe 2 or 3 times I can ever recall seeing Thor legitimately out for blood. When he tore through beta ray bill (almost killing him), the surfer, adam warlock, and the entire infinity watch, under his own power (before getting the gem)

Granted, they kind of Jobbed to Thor, but he still had the offensive to put them down, regardless if they held back (which they did at a few points)

And when you say "respective peaks", I assume you aren't referring to any of Thor's power ups, right? When he was king of Asgard during Reigning I believe it was, I don't think Sentry out classes that Thor.

And when Thor learned Rune magic? No way Sentry outclasses that Thor. That Thor could probably one shot him lol


and this fight MAY not be as lopped sided as we think, check it out. An image from the up coming issue. Looks like Sentry seemed to have put Thor down, and left, thinking he defeated him, but Thor then throws the hammer, and hits sentry with a barrage of lighting?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Nah, I wasn't counting Thor with his power-ups. Having the Odinforce and other magical abilities changes the game a lot. I don't know if he would necessarily have been up to the Sentry's level from the Sentry's first mini-series even then, but he'd definitely have been a lot closer.

__________________
"This I grant to you: You may tell your grandchildren that you stood for a time against the mighty Thor."
- Marvel Heroes
TheCorpulent1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.