Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #251
McSqueeb
Side-Kick

Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
Na can't remember that. Was it in Joe Kelly's run?
Yeah. Deadpool had quite a dark side in that run.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #252
The Morningstar
Banned User

Yea, it's one of my favorite comic book runs ever. Haven't read it for a while though.

Anyway, going by the script, Wade Wilson is a snarky douche, but he has a code of honor. Warped as it is. It's not until he gets experimented on and what not that he becomes bitter and resentful and self loathing. Much like the comics really.

That's how it should be. You need to see the transformation this tragedy puts him through. Both physical and psychological. There needs to be a level of sympathy there, otherwise people won't give a crap about the character. But obviously not too much sympathy. It needs to get the balance between him being utterly despicable, and pity worthy. Much like Joe Kelly's run.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #253
Nathan

Got like an issue number? Because even as early as issue 8 you see Deadpool trying his best to save civilians from Typhoid Mary. He probably isn't afraid to rough civilians up, but he really tries not to kill them.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #254
McSqueeb
Side-Kick

It's in issue number 14. There's an earlier issue, too, in which Deadpool mentions the fate of a mailman, and he walks past a tall wooden box. Between the wooden boards of the box you can make out a man's face, frozen with terror. Creepy family entertainment.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #255
McSqueeb
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
Yea, it's one of my favorite comic book runs ever. Haven't read it for a while though.

Anyway, going by the script, Wade Wilson is a snarky douche, but he has a code of honor. Warped as it is. It's not until he gets experimented on and what not that he becomes bitter and resentful and self loathing. Much like the comics really.

That's how it should be. You need to see the transformation this tragedy puts him through. Both physical and psychological. There needs to be a level of sympathy there, otherwise people won't give a crap about the character. But obviously not too much sympathy. It needs to get the balance between him being utterly despicable, and pity worthy. Much like Joe Kelly's run.
Indeed. The script captured a great deal of the spirit of Kelly's fantastic run. If only Joe Kelly was writing Deadpool today...

Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #256
CelticPredator
Banned User

I disagree. Wade never had a honor code. I think he mentioned he will kill women and children if he's paid enough.

To me, that's his story. He is the uttermost scum of the earth. He deals with one of the worst form of punishments known to man...a slow death. He ends up trying to fix it...only to endure some of the worst torture ever bestowed on a human.

He is reborn. Has a second chance. And when the LLL guys show up, that's when his arc begins. He changes. He begins to have a code. There IS something inside of him, always has been....but ulimately, Wade Wilson, which...according to Joe Kelly's run, isnt even his real name...because he killed T-Ray's wife, and almost killed T-Ray, who was the REAL Wade, is a horrible person. But he wants to change.....except he knows nothing else.

I know...Cable and Deadpool reconned it.....and that's all well and good, but I think Deadpool becoming a hero in his own twisted mind is really interesting. That's why I love that character. He's pretty layered.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:31 AM   #257
The Morningstar
Banned User

The identity thing was the only thing i didn't like about Kelly's run. Because it seemed forced and rushed. Which it was. Joe Kelly was pretty much forced off of the book, for some spectacularly retarded reason, and he had to change what he wanted to do.

But when did Wade Wilson, normal schlub, say he would kill women and children for money? Deadpool said it. That's because Deadpool was a twisted, bitter shell of a human being. Until yea, LLL came along and tried to inspire him to be more than a sociopathic, murderous douche bag.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #258
CelticPredator
Banned User

I dont know....if you read the very first Deadpool series comic, the one that doesnt feature Deadpool, but more of the LLL guys, with some Wade thrown in, he's not potrayed well as a nice guy. He treats Ven like ass. She's basicly his sex toy. And he shuts her out. Perhaps to not hurt her...but he doesnt treat her like his love.

And I still like the T-Ray thing, only because it allows the audience to realize they are reading about a pyschopath. But a really charming one. And one that wants to fix himself. I like that aspect a lot.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:41 AM   #259
Nathan

Wasn't that whole identity thing retconned? Now he's back to being a regular dude at first, gets cancer, tries suicide and applies for that new Weapon X program.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:45 AM   #260
CelticPredator
Banned User

In a way it was. But what I loved about it was the fact that in Cable and Deadpool, he made a point of saying "My origin is whatever the writer wants it to be..."

Awesome line.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:51 AM   #261
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticPredator View Post
I dont know....if you read the very first Deadpool series comic, the one that doesnt feature Deadpool, but more of the LLL guys, with some Wade thrown in, he's not potrayed well as a nice guy. He treats Ven like ass. She's basicly his sex toy. And he shuts her out. Perhaps to not hurt her...but he doesnt treat her like his love.
Deadpool 0 wasn't it? Yea, he treats he like an ass and leaves her. But by that point, he already knew he had cancer. He didn't want her to see him rot away, he just wanted to get the hell out of dodge.

Quote:
And I still like the T-Ray thing, only because it allows the audience to realize they are reading about a pyschopath. But a really charming one. And one that wants to fix himself. I like that aspect a lot.
The identity thing doesn't really add much to that though i don't think. It just makes it muddled.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:17 AM   #262
CelticPredator
Banned User

On first glance yes...but I dunno. I liked it. It gave the character more depth. In my opinion.

I think the problem is, a lot people rooted for Deadpool, but ended up hating him after that, because it's such a huge thing. It changes the character completely. It' could've been done better...I agree.

That whole run is just perfect Deadpool to me. That and Cable and Deadpool's. Most of the other writers are a huge hit or miss for me.

Although Simone was good. Havent read her run in a while.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #263
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Yeah, Deadpool at one stage being a truly awful person is what cements the character for me. Otherwise, there really ISN'T a hard edge to him at all. He kills people? Big whoop, so does Wolverine. Those elements of DP's back story, and the screwed up things he did with Al are what make him unique and what justify his constant struggle to try and be better. Without that, he's just another quirky anti-hero

Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 AM   #264
CelticPredator
Banned User

^ Eggzackry.

That's why people like Daniel Way can suck it. He doesnt get the character at all. Or atleast that's what I got from the one comic I read from him.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #265
The Morningstar
Banned User

It seems to me that Daniel Way's run is nothing more than making Deadpool do crazy things and come up with crazy schemes.

I get the feeling that Way has a check list of all these different random things he wants Deadpool to do, and just throws them in there to see if they stick. Rather than using his noodle and thinking things through.

It's just so scattershot. He throws a bunch of crap at a wall and sees if it sticks. Some of it does, like in the Secret Invasions or Bullseye arcs. Even the Pirate Arc is pretty lol worthy. (the teaching stick was genius). But most of it is just a load of random crazy **** with no real character development apart from stuff that's been done before by better writers.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #266
CelticPredator
Banned User

Which is why I cannot stand it. Blah....BLAH I SAY!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #267
The Morningstar
Banned User

Yea, it is BLAH! That's a pretty good description. Like meh, but more outraged!

It's sad though really, when you look at what Remender or Lapham is doing with the character, they should be on the main title.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #268
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Daniel Way's stuff is just some deep character development short of a good run. The thing about Pool is that sure he does funny, crazy stuff but then somewhere along the way he also does something ridiculously, hopelessly amoral that the audience isn't MEANT to approve of, and then shows perhaps a small sign of remorse or self awareness. That's the dramatic hook that's meant to keep you interested in the character, not this silly sitcom of a series.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #269
McSqueeb
Side-Kick

I'm hoping the next writer on the main Deadpool title is a fan of the 90s comics and does away with the cheesey voices and gives the character more depth and better things to do.

Hopefully Marvel doesn't place another writer on Deadpool who only recently started learning about the character from the new issues.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #270
The Morningstar
Banned User

Obviously my no1 choice would be the return of Joe Kelly. But i'd also like to see Gail Simone get another shot. Her run was great considering it was plagued by an editor that was constantly pestering her.

If not them then I'd be very happy with Rick Remender, Jeff Parker or David Lapham.

Also, the Fear Itself tie ins written by the guy who does Dr McNinja (which is ****ing awesome, BTW) excites me.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #271
def28
Side-Kick

Only Deadpool Story I really liked from Way was Wolverine: Origins Deadpool. The Bullseye and Thunderbolt storylines were ok from the monthly Deadpool comics but that guy just makes him too goofy.

Last edited by def28; 04-18-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #272
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28
only deadpool story i really liked from way was wolverine: Origins deadpool. The bullseye and thunderbolt storylines were ok from the monthly deadpool comics but that guy just makes him too goofy.
flipper hands!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #273
antonydelfini
The Destroyer

The thing to remember in making a Deadpool movie is to stay away from the mentality that Daniel Way has in writing the character. Wade is a lot more than jokes, crazy antics, and insane monologues. The filmmakers have to stay close to how Joe Kelly approached Deadpool, he is funny and crazy but there are a lot of emotional depth and complexities that show many times. Deadpool is a 3D character, a very layered and complex character.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #274
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Personally I really like Fabian Nicieza's stuff. Just does a great job of writing the character's diaologue, the perfect balance of hilarious lines and characterisation and then really fluidly switch to a strained moment of emotional integrity. I loved the way he played up how confused Deadpool was with himself, struggling just to be coherent enough to reflect inwardly. Kelly I though wrote some amazing stories and narratives, but I don't think he was as good at switching between the two DP modes of serious and funny. He'd have to kind of clunkily switch from one to the other. A mix between Kelly and Nicieza's Pool would be perfect.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #275
The Morningstar
Banned User

I liked Nicieza's take in the main. But i didn't like that he explained away alot of Deadpools psychological trauma but doing the whole "I have brain damage!" thing.

I also thought he was a little too goofy. Kelly's was just a leaner, meaner, nastier piece of work. Even his sense of humour was more mean and spiteful. Whereas Nicieza's was kinda goofy.

Closed Thread