The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #476
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck
 
Shockdingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: With Deadpool & The unlimited
Posts: 3,547
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Does anyone know why they diverted from the original idea of Weapon 11 being Creed's clones or something? It's been a while, but all I remember is that the Deadpool thing was a later addition.

Shockdingo is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #477
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT View Post
No, belive that was Skip Woods doing.
That sounds like something Skip Woods would do.

And if my choices are inaccurate Deadpool, or a bunch of Sabretooth clones, I'll take what we got. It might have been a horrid Deadpool adaptation, but it wasn't inherently a bad plot point.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #478
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
I think on a technical level it is pretty poor, and I know this to be true for a fact, I knew two people involved in the film (since it was filmed in Aus) someone on the FX, and someone on the lighting. The FX friend told me that several scenes simply had incomplete CG, and they were basically told "It will do", such as the crayon claws in the bathroom scene.

Also, I definitely disagree with the film keeping true to the spirit of the characters origins... They missed out on all the most important aspects of it, making his memory loss an accidental side effect of a gunshot, rather than months and months of deliberate manipulation and memory wiping in order to break him down and turn him into a killing machine. I think the biggest problem with this film, is that they clearly couldn't decide on making it an origin film or simply a Wolverine spin-off film. They should have taken more time with it, building Creed and Wolvie's relationship to a greater point, have the first half about Creed and Wolvie growing up, with a crescendo in the middle where Creed murders Kayla. Then have the next half ALL about Weapon X, which is the quintessential part of Wolvie's origin. Show all the tests, the glass chamber, the helmet, everything breaking him down, then have a good 30 mins dedicated to the break out scene, with a true Berserker Wolverine, I mean, his escape is when he's meant to be his MOST animalistic, pure rage, lashing out at everyone and everything. Leave the death of Kayla unresolved and forgotten, as that is what drives him forward as a character, him desperate to remember things.

The direction they took in the films, if Wolvie got his memories back, how would it change anything? Is there anything really worth remembering? If they'd done it the way I'm suggesting, when he gets his memories back, he'd remember everything about Creed and suddenly give him new motivation.

If you've seen X-Men First Class, Magneto spent a good portion of that film being a better Wolverine than Wolvie was in his own origin film. Thats what we needed to see, the early stages. When you do an origin film, you need to have the patience to sow the seeds, build the character up with strong foundations, then for future films, the world is your oyster. With a character like Wolvie, you have an exceptionally strong origin that SHOULD have made a great solo film, and then you have so many varied and different solo adventures for sequels. If they'd played it smart, it really could have been it's own, great franchise.
And I guess in my point of view, that's the difference between underwhelming, and bad. X-Men Origins: Wolverine is by far an underwhelming movie. You touched on what, in my opinion, is the most underwhelming part of the movie, which is his rather tame escape from the Weapon X facility. Even in the G rated cartoons, he absolutely wrecks the place beyond recognition, and in the comic books, things get a lot more R rated. In the movie, he kills off a couple scientists and soldiers, and runs away.

Underwhelming. Disappointing. But not inherently bad.

As far as the means of memory loss, again, I agree with you, and here lays a problem with the film technically. They originally had a much more logical, and much more comic book accurate memory erase sequence. The sequence where Stryker reveals that Kayla is still alive, and it was all a plot, Stryker offers to erase Logan's mind, because Stryker can't kill Logan, and Logan's life is all a lie and Logan wants to escape from it. Logan is taken off to have his memory erase, and during the procedure, he hears Creed attacking Kayla, and breaks free and comes to aid her. In my interpretation, it is pretty clear that the reason why the adamantium bullets wipe Logan's memory is because his memory has already been made fragile by the incomplete mind wipe sequence, so the 2 knocks to the head are enough to shatter his memories for good. The problem with this now is that they cut that scene, to have him just walking off, but kept the adamantium bullets, so now the adamantium bullets become a rather cheesy and contrived plot device. Had they kept the original mind erase sequence (which is possibly my favorite sequence in the movie) so many more things would fall into place.

As far as his berserker rage goes, I don't know. That's a huge complaint. But it's not one for me. I see a kid who rages out and kills his biological father. I see a man who grows up and takes part in every major American military conflict from the Civil War through Vietnam. I see the struggle with the animal within, as he gives in to his animal nature on the battle field, but watches his brother go further and further down that path. To me, the struggle of Logan is not that he is an animal, but that he is able to put aside his animal nature, unlike Sabretooth, and he is able to be a man of honor, and justice, even if he is rather jaded to life and marches to the beat of his own drum, his heart is pure. Stryker called Logan an animal because that's how he sees mutants - as animals to be controlled and manipulated for the benefit of man, and once they are no longer of use, to dispose of them. Sabretooth calls him an animal because that's what Sabretooth is, and he wants Logan to give in a be like him. But Logan isn't an animal - he is a man who has overcome his animal nature. Sure, it could have been a little more badass to see Logan wrecking shop in Africa, but as far as character depiction goes, I didn't have any issue with his role (or lack thereof) in Africa. To me it fit, that he was a man who was an accomplice to these atrocities, and questioned if what he was doing was right, and escaped it.

Having read the Weapon X run, I don't think all the added experiments of having him in the wilderness fighting amongst animals, and the illusions of escaping and killing Professor Oyama are necessary. I don't think we needed all that.

And while things weren't always comic book accurate (Deadpool, and many other details pertaining to Logan and Weapon X) I don't think that comic book inaccuracy inherently means "bad". X-Men: First Class is probably the most inaccurate movie of the series in regards to comic book accuracy, but it is one of the most highly received. Changing the original X-Men team to be Havok, Banshee, and Beast is a huge change (I don't need them to go original 5 with Cyclops, Beast, Angel, Iceman, and Jean Grey, and that wouldn't even be in movie continuity, but Cyclops is, and always has been, in every incarnation, the original X-Man and they stripped him of that role in the series with this movie), as is giving Mystique a past history with Xavier and perhaps even making their friendship deeper than the one shared between Xavier and Magneto.

I also find it interesting that the 2 least received films of the series are also the 2 films that directly adapt stories from the comic books. X-Men and X-Men: First Class didn't directly adapt any specific stories, but rather adapted general concepts of the X-Men lore (X-Men was a general adaptation of the X-Men world as a whole, X-Men: First Class being a general adaptation of the Xavier and Magneto relationship and their ideologies and how they went their separate ways), and while X2 was a direct adaptation of God Loves, Man Kills, that's certainly not as widely known or beloved as Dark Phoenix Saga or Weapon X. Considering that a good bulk (perhaps even majority) of the complaints that I see about these films always come back to killing Cyclops, killing Rogue, Deadpool's depiction, lack of details of the Weapon X procedure, I can't help but think that because the films didn't totally accurately portray the source material taints these films in fans' minds. And I don't totally discredit that line of thinking, X-Men: The Last Stand is certainly tainted in my own mind for the changes they made, but getting it wrong and not totally faithfully adapting the source material doesn't inherently mean bad. And that's the mindset I take. I accept these films as an alternate version of the X-Men lore that's not going to be 100% accurate, I just ask that they try to keep with the spirit of what I love about these stories when adapting these movies. The movies have done that much more than they haven't, and the areas where I don't believe the spirit was kept does bother me (Cyclops being killed - though I can even find reason for that within the comic book Dark Phoenix Saga - Rogue being cured, Deadpool's end result, the first class having absolutely nothing to do with Cyclops) but I don't let these few circumstances ruin the rest of what I consider to be overall successful adaptations of the source material.

I also feel that certain technical flaws are confused with being technically bad. X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine are certainly flawed on a film making level. But I still feel even the overall film making is at the very worst, competent. The acting is good. The directing isn't great, it isn't horrible. The script contains flawed plot points and some cheesy dialogue, but also contains so very good elements as well (in my view more than bad). The CGI isn't great in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and is down right bad in some spots, but CGI to me is so low on the list that I can't condemn an entire movie for some bad CGI spots (X-Men: First Class has some underwhelming CGI as well). Even where these movies are flawed on basic movie making aspects, not just as whether they are entertaining movies or not, I can't see these movies as badly made. I wouldn't recommend these films for any academy awards, but I also wouldn't put them on SyFy channel at 3am either.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #479
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!
 
Wolvieboy17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,183
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Skip Woods? You mean Gavin Hood?

Funnily enough, I think it was Schuler Donner or Tom Roth. I think since there had been such a fan calling for Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, Fox wanted to include him for fans (which sadly was their focus in that film, it's mainly why I think Gambit was even included in that film altogether).

__________________
Big Head Mode
Big games. Big reviews. Big mouths.
Wolvieboy17 is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #480
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
Skip Woods? You mean Gavin Hood?

Funnily enough, I think it was Schuler Donner or Tom Roth. I think since there had been such a fan calling for Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, Fox wanted to include him for fans (which sadly was their focus in that film, it's mainly why I think Gambit was even included in that film altogether).
Skip Woods was the second screenwriter on the film, behind Benoiff.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #481
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,985
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
In the movie, he kills off a couple scientists and soldiers, and runs away.
He didn't kill anybody while leaving the factory

Lord is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #482
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,985
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
Skip Woods? You mean Gavin Hood?

Funnily enough, I think it was Schuler Donner or Tom Roth. I think since there had been such a fan calling for Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, Fox wanted to include him for fans (which sadly was their focus in that film, it's mainly why I think Gambit was even included in that film altogether).
They aded Gambit because Donner liked the the character

Lord is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #483
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
He didn't kill anybody while leaving the factory
He takes out a couple people.

The cuts are fast and frantic. But he takes out some people. Just not many.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #484
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!
 
Wolvieboy17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,183
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

But dude, you just listed more problem with the movie...

You're right, a very, very strong part of Wolverine's character is that he trying to turn away from his animal nature... But not initially. That's what comes AFTER he loses his memory. They didn't take any time to establish anything interesting about who he is BEFORE his memory loss, because like I said, he is essentially exactly the same. They completely undercreate everything interesting about his memory loss, because 1)Not only do we now know all the mysteries of his past, but also 2) We know they don't matter to him at all.

I also completely disagree in large with your whole sentiment of how they kept to the source materials. I guess you only really watched the animated show or something, because that movie didn't resemble anything close to the many iconic images I've read in comics for years, not the years, and years of Wolverine's characterisation across comics.

There's a great novel called "Weapon X" that in itself would have been a perfect Wolverine film. I mean, they virtually brushed over everything. X-Men First Class, in it's first 5 minutes, set Magneto up better than they did in the entire Wolverine film. They didn't DO anything bad to him that would REALLY cause a lifetime of anguish and suffering. The whole thing about Wolverine is that he is completely and utterly broken... and then they would offer him a glimmer of hope, and then he'd be broken again. There were no mind games, no experiments, none of them actually trying to manipulate and brainwash him. They just ignored all the most important parts of Wolverine's origin story.

__________________
Big Head Mode
Big games. Big reviews. Big mouths.
Wolvieboy17 is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #485
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

But that's all adaptation stuff. That doesn't make the movie inherently bad of it's own merits. It might not be a faithful adaptation, no, but my stance on comic book movies is that it's impossible to be fully faithful adaptations. There's just simply too much. Comic books have the luxury of telling stories over monthly installments spanning years, decades even, and even bleeding over into multiple titles and runs. A movie has 2 hours, and if they're lucky, a handful of installments to tell their story.

So the movie cut out a bunch of Logan's backstory. The movie is underwhelming for that, it wasn't what we all wanted. It took the aspects that they thought best fit the story that they were trying to tell, as well as incorporated their own creative license. It all comes down to basically not liking it because it wasn't the movie that you wanted. That in and of itself isn't a wrong way to look at movies - afterall these are adaptations of our beloved source material, we'd like it to maintain a level of faithfulness. But being different doesn't mean it's bad. The Shining is drastically different than the book it's based upon, but that is widely considered to be a good movie. Now... I'm not comparing X-Men Origins: Wolverine to The Shining on a film making level, I'm just saying that just because the movie wasn't what you wanted doesn't make it bad. I accept the movies as an alternate version of the stories being told. I still have my X-Men comics if I want those stories, or my X-Men cartoons if I wanna see those. The movies are their own version of the universe, and I accept that, and in many ways I feel the movie version of events are superior to the comics.

But I do believe there is an element of because X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine directly adapted specific stories from the source material, the deviations are amplified, and thus fans have a harder time accepting it than the changes that X-Men or X-Men: First Class made, when they weren't adapting specific stories, but rather, putting these characters in original stories and situations.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #486
CelticPredator
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,156
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Or maybe it's First Class = good, and X-3 and Wolverine = ****ing pieces of ****.

CelticPredator is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #487
PWN3R
SHUSH!
 
PWN3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mr. Cluck's
Posts: 20,004
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticPredator View Post
Or maybe it's First Class = good, and X-3 and Wolverine = ****ing pieces of ****.
Dude, you bring the lulz. Everyone is in here writing blocks of text, and you bust through the roof guns hot with a simply brilliant, **** YOOUUU.



Also, I've always wanted to ask you, are you CELT1CPRED or whatever? Did you have that name before? If not, then damn.
Also also, BEST AVATAR AWARD goes to....

__________________
^ all typoes are intentional


“What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness." - Don Draper

PWN3R is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #488
CelticPredator
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,156
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Thanks...haha.

Nope. I am the original CelticPredator. I made this name back in 2004 on the AvPGalaxy forum....the other CP is also from AvPGalaxy...heh.

CelticPredator is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #489
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,609
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

My attitude of the X-men movies are X-Men-Good,X2-Very good,X-Men The Last Stand-Very bad,Wolverine-Bad,X-Men-First Class-Very good.

If Deadpool actully gets made we can officially say they are throwing Wolverine out of official film canon.If by the end of 2012 we get an official word on filminf then we know for sure It's getting made.Like I have said before they can conterdict Wolverine and Last Stand all they want.Untill I hea rofficial word on first Class sequels or X4/X5 I consider the X Films to be X-Men,X2,First Class,The Wolverine and If Made Deadpool.

The Last Stand Isn;t Batman and Robin bad and does have a few redeming qualitys but as followup to one of the best COmic Book films ever(X2) It fails miserbly and franchises
don't need pissed off fans.I actully find WOlverine more watchable than the Last Stand.
Even though I only knew Deapool from his appearances In X-Force and WOlverine's solo
book I knew they screwed him up royally.And In X2 Bryan Singer did a better job In flashback of the weapon X escape.And actully had a bersker fury moment for Wolverine In the kitchen.In wolverine they should have left Deapool out and keep the Sabretooth clones for weapon XI.

marvelrobbins is offline  
Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #490
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWN3R View Post
Dude, you bring the lulz. Everyone is in here writing blocks of text, and you bust through the roof guns hot with a simply brilliant, **** YOOUUU.



Also, I've always wanted to ask you, are you CELT1CPRED or whatever? Did you have that name before? If not, then damn.
Also also, BEST AVATAR AWARD goes to....
Yea, I should have known actually trying to have actual conversation around here was a waste of time. My fault for allowing myself to get sucked in.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 07-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #491
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!
 
Wolvieboy17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,183
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

But Nell, I think Wolvie was a bad movie AND adaptation. I mean, X1, X2 and XM:FC all changed many, many things from the comics and were quite liberal with what they adapted, but you know what? Those movies were awesome because they still contained the tone and the spirit of the comics.

If you're going to do an adaptation of a character's origin story, but you're going to ignore

1) Plot, story from the comics
2) Character traits
3)Tone established in the comics
4)Tone established in previous movies
5)Plot established in previous movies

Then WHAT is the bloody point of adapting the thing in the first place, apart from Fox simply wanting to churn out another X-Men money maker?

__________________
Big Head Mode
Big games. Big reviews. Big mouths.
Wolvieboy17 is offline  
Old 07-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #492
WillardNation
Nibiru Warrior
 
WillardNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 4,888
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Aaaand unsubscribed from this thread.

WillardNation is offline  
Old 07-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #493
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
But Nell, I think Wolvie was a bad movie AND adaptation. I mean, X1, X2 and XM:FC all changed many, many things from the comics and were quite liberal with what they adapted, but you know what? Those movies were awesome because they still contained the tone and the spirit of the comics.

If you're going to do an adaptation of a character's origin story, but you're going to ignore

1) Plot, story from the comics
2) Character traits
3)Tone established in the comics
4)Tone established in previous movies
5)Plot established in previous movies

Then WHAT is the bloody point of adapting the thing in the first place, apart from Fox simply wanting to churn out another X-Men money maker?
And I don't. You asked me to explain why I liked the movie. I explained it. You either accept it or you don't, but it's not going to change the fact that I don't take the same issues that you do. We obviously interpret both the movie and the source material differently.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 07-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #494
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!
 
Wolvieboy17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,183
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Yes, as far as the subjective goes, but as I said before, you can still enjoy a film for what it is AND recognise all of it's flaws, and the flaws that you and I disagree on are objective assessments, not subjective ones.

__________________
Big Head Mode
Big games. Big reviews. Big mouths.
Wolvieboy17 is offline  
Old 07-30-2011, 03:24 AM   #495
CelticPredator
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,156
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Yea, I should have known actually trying to have actual conversation around here was a waste of time. My fault for allowing myself to get sucked in.
Uh yeah no....you were the one who attacked me for my opinion. I only attacked the movie. Which is allowed. Sorry you got all butthurt about it.


CelticPredator is offline  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #496
henzINNIT
Side-Kick
 
henzINNIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,858
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

While I believe fan circles will be more hard on films like these than your average viewer, Wolverine is still god-awful. It looks cheap, has no tone, has stupidly written characters wandering in a stupid plot. It's comes off like a bullet point list of the character's life taken from wikipedia. Forget being faithful to the comics, it just sucks as a piece of filmed media.

henzINNIT is offline  
Old 07-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #497
The Morningstar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The place in between...
Posts: 10,150
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
But that's all adaptation stuff. That doesn't make the movie inherently bad of it's own merits. It might not be a faithful adaptation, no, but my stance on comic book movies is that it's impossible to be fully faithful adaptations. There's just simply too much. Comic books have the luxury of telling stories over monthly installments spanning years, decades even, and even bleeding over into multiple titles and runs. A movie has 2 hours, and if they're lucky, a handful of installments to tell their story.

So the movie cut out a bunch of Logan's backstory. The movie is underwhelming for that, it wasn't what we all wanted. It took the aspects that they thought best fit the story that they were trying to tell, as well as incorporated their own creative license. It all comes down to basically not liking it because it wasn't the movie that you wanted. That in and of itself isn't a wrong way to look at movies - afterall these are adaptations of our beloved source material, we'd like it to maintain a level of faithfulness. But being different doesn't mean it's bad. The Shining is drastically different than the book it's based upon, but that is widely considered to be a good movie. Now... I'm not comparing X-Men Origins: Wolverine to The Shining on a film making level, I'm just saying that just because the movie wasn't what you wanted doesn't make it bad. I accept the movies as an alternate version of the stories being told. I still have my X-Men comics if I want those stories, or my X-Men cartoons if I wanna see those. The movies are their own version of the universe, and I accept that, and in many ways I feel the movie version of events are superior to the comics.

But I do believe there is an element of because X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine directly adapted specific stories from the source material, the deviations are amplified, and thus fans have a harder time accepting it than the changes that X-Men or X-Men: First Class made, when they weren't adapting specific stories, but rather, putting these characters in original stories and situations.
I'm afraid it does make the movie inherently bad.

The movie is about Wolverine right? Us, the audience is supposed to connect with Wolverine. We are supposed to understand and sympathise with his plight, his journey.

His plight is SUPPOSED to be fighting against his very nature, his animalistic urges and to retain his humanity.

Well... what animalistic urges? Like I said before, he was a pussy in the movie. He was more violent and animalistic in X1 and X2. In fact, I don't think his body count even hit double didgets in Origins did it?

How can we connect or sympathise with his plight if his plight isn't put across well? How can we be like "Aww that poor guy, trying to fight his animal urges to be a better person etc". When his animal urges are not even displayed?

No opinions here, this is stone cold fact. That is why Wolverine Origins is crap film. When the lead characters development is compromised because of some hairbrained studio micromanagement, you have a bad film. And I honestly don't understand why they declawed Wolverine (har har see what i did?). You can get away with quite a lot in a PG13 film these days. Maybe the studio thought people couldn't connect with a lead character who is violent and ambiguous. But that's a load of ******** because plenty of lead characters throughout the years in all kinds of genres are ambiguous and perhaps not true heroes.


Last edited by The Morningstar; 07-30-2011 at 08:13 AM.
The Morningstar is offline  
Old 07-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #498
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

A movie is not bad due to a lack of violence.

Sorry you all didn't like it. I did. And no, I dont see it as a "bad" movie, so its pointless telling me how flawed it is as a film because I dont see the same severity.

And CelticPred, maybe "anyone who likes x3 and wolverine has the intelligence of a 12 year old" will jog your mind.

I was asked to explain why I liked the movie. I did. That's still not good enough, and all that's happened since is the fanboy crusade telling me how wrong I am. Enjoy Deadpool.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline  
Old 07-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #499
CelticPredator
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,156
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

You will notice I said that AFTER you said your little "u leik alien 3" spiel.

I dont CARE why you liked Wolverine. I hate it, you like it...who cares. Obviously talking good about Wolverine's flick in a Deadpool thread would be taboo...considering the movie DESTROYED the character.

CelticPredator is offline  
Old 07-31-2011, 07:46 AM   #500
The Morningstar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The place in between...
Posts: 10,150
Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
A movie is not bad due to a lack of violence.

Sorry you all didn't like it. I did. And no, I dont see it as a "bad" movie, so its pointless telling me how flawed it is as a film because I dont see the same severity.

And CelticPred, maybe "anyone who likes x3 and wolverine has the intelligence of a 12 year old" will jog your mind.

I was asked to explain why I liked the movie. I did. That's still not good enough, and all that's happened since is the fanboy crusade telling me how wrong I am. Enjoy Deadpool.
Violence, or lack thereof, isn't the point.

The point is character development. Wolverine is supposed to be a violent nut case who struggles with his animal side. The simple fact of the matter is, we didn't get that side to the character.

So, you have a lead character who isn't developed well. When your lead character is developed poorly or not enough, you have a bad film.

The Morningstar is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.