The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #151
CelticPredator
Banned User

Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

I already said. Small budget. Niche film.

But still. Dont judge this ****ing guy until the movie comes out, or until he starts changing ****.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #152
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Dude, I don't know why you're so defensive about this director, but if you read all the posts, no one is passing criticism on this guys ability, just whether he'll get given the proper freedom to shine or maintain control. Thats not a judgement on him, it's a judgement on Fox.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #153
CelticPredator
Banned User

Because. I think it's totally wrong to judge him up front.

Yes, Fox blah blah....but recently, they've kept their distance with directors. So who knows.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #154
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

What are you basing that on? This is the Fox producer we're talking about, Schuler-Donner. What Fox films are you talking about that she's been involved in? She's the one responsible for the mess that was XMO: Wolverine, and X3.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #155
JP
Smelly

Does she also get credit for the success of X1, and X2, and the fact that First Class looks fantastic?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #156
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Partial credit, although she is the one who had the major disagreement with Singer and then wanted Cyclops written out of the story because James Marsden threatened to walk with Singer.

Also, my Godfather is a very senior Sound tech for films and he was working on Wolverine, and the stories he's told me about her on set, firing Gavin Hood twice (officially too, emails were sent to all the cast and crew regarding the decision) only to have him brought back but with her Husband, Richard Donner as 'supervising' director, which meant him just sitting in a chair and having final say on all the cuts, and getting paid a ridiculous amount for it.

If First Class is good, it would be due to the fact that Matthew Vaughn is a director who won't let himself get pushed around to comprimise his vision. A first time director may not have the same strength.

Edit: Also, X1 and 2 had the director also as a producer, whilst the others didn't, and First Class not only has Singer as producer but 2 others as well, one of whom is a writer, which means at least two creative viewpoints producing.

Last edited by Wolvieboy17; 04-10-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #157
def28
Side-Kick

Since this guy worked on X1 and 2 hopefully he already has a solid relationship with the producers which wont resort to him being bullied on set like that. That sucks for Hood. Hopefully FC is the changing point for the XMen and Fox.

We know the Deadpool script is being faithful to the character and Reynolds wont attach himself if the intentions are to **** that up. He can get his pay checks from the 21 other comic franchises hes in now. Hes a fan and wants the character done right especially after XMOW. So well see, so far so good.

Last edited by def28; 04-10-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #158
CelticPredator
Banned User

Uh...Tom Rothman was the guy who went from set to set, ****ing **** over. He was the reason for all that nonsense. Wolverine, FF4 2, the set changes, the script changes.....

Old 04-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #159
jk_4000m
The crimson Arc

ahhh Tom Rothman is like the boogyman to people like us. Anyway what does he do now? Hopefully far away from superhero movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtbTB83sE7g
Old 04-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #160
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
It's supposedly not meant to be related to that X-World at all.

Also, Celtic, you keep mentioning David Fincher like it's some golden example, and fair enough you actually like Aliens 3, but that movie is absolute garbage if you compare it to the quality of films Fincher has made when he's had real creative control over his own projects, like Seven, Fight Club, Social Network, Zodiac. All much better than Alien 3, which surprise surprise was yet another Fox controlled film.

Also, regardless of what you think of Fox, the danger element with this project is the exec producer, Donner. She is basically like a poison to any creative flowing for these X-Projects.
You kinda answered your own question.

Wolverine had to be a big blockbuster movie for the studio. They had the name "Wolverine", who was basically the main character in the X films. They HAD to make that into a blockbuster. That's why it was picked apart and micormanaged to hell.

Deadpool doesn't have to be that. Deadpool wouldn't have to be a lynchpin in the X franchise. Fox are still making X-Men movies, talking about doing a 4 and 5.

I mean, we obviously don't know what they are doing yet, but this Deadpool film should be a 60 million dollar budgeted meta humored action movie. Not a 100 million dollar budgeted superhero movie.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #161
CelticPredator
Banned User

Bingo. ^

This man knows his Pool.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #162
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Partial credit, although she is the one who had the major disagreement with Singer and then wanted Cyclops written out of the story because James Marsden threatened to walk with Singer.

Also, my Godfather is a very senior Sound tech for films and he was working on Wolverine, and the stories he's told me about her on set, firing Gavin Hood twice (officially too, emails were sent to all the cast and crew regarding the decision) only to have him brought back but with her Husband, Richard Donner as 'supervising' director, which meant him just sitting in a chair and having final say on all the cuts, and getting paid a ridiculous amount for it.
Really? I thought Brian Synger was a good friend with her, i mean, he didn't make x-3 because he wanted to make a tribute to Donner's superman films, and she's the one who wants to work with Synger again in x4, x5 and FC trilogy.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #163
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

They had beef over several issues regarding X2. Supposedly they patched up before first class, but remember when there was a rumour Singer was going to do Wolverine then he said no? Shuler Donner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticPredator
Bingo. ^

This man knows his Pool.
So? I've agreed with all that, but it's not about what is logical, it's about what Fox will do. I agree Deadpool doesn't need to be big budget at all, and he's not a huge franchise type character, more niche and culty, but can we be sure that is the way Fox will see it?

Would you say Elektra is big, blockbuster film potential? Fox have a model, and they only relax and depart from that if they've either got a Director they know is a safe bet, like James Cameron etc, or if it's low budget and kinda indie, like the Fox Searchlight films. However, you can tell from the intensity that Donner keeps bringing it up, that is means a considerable more to them than a throw away small film.

My only hope in this being good, and Fox letting Miller and Reynolds work unannoyed is that they were so hurt from Wolverine (Especially Deadpool's treatment) that they may be playing it safe. If so, I would be very impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28
Since this guy worked on X1 and 2 hopefully he already has a solid relationship with the producers which wont resort to him being bullied on set like that. That sucks for Hood. Hopefully FC is the changing point for the XMen and Fox.
Lol go on IMDB for X1 and 2 and look how many visual effects artists there are. The odds of him having developed any relationship with the producers from those films is very slim. That's like 200 people, in his department alone.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 AM   #164
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Lol go on IMDB for X1 and 2 and look how many visual effects artists there are. The odds of him having developed any relationship with the producers from those films is very slim. That's like 200 people, in his department alone.
I know there are a ****load of VFX who work on those films. But this guy is a little higher up then most and has worked on many Fox films. You just dont go walk into to Fox saying "Hi Im a random SFX guy you probably dont know but give me Deadpool cause I can direct the **** out of it with zero live action films behind me". I guarantee you he has ties there. Fox knew him somehow. He worked on Avatar (also fox) and Heavy Metal with Cameron so maybe that help. Honestly I dont know but Im sure Fox is cool with him on some level then just knowing he was one of the hundreds who worked on X1 and 2.

Im gonna stay with positive thinking on this project. Even with Fox in control...for once haha.

Last edited by def28; 04-11-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 AM   #165
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I'm not looking forward to this film

I'm getting a Daredevil and Elektra movie vibe on this one.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 04-11-2011, 04:26 AM   #166
def28
Side-Kick

The comedy will be there regardless. So it will be entertaining on some level.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #167
The Morningstar
Banned User

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-direct-176603

Quote:
Studio also has closed a producing deal with Ryan Reynolds, who is attached to star.
Don't know if that's already been mentioned, but it seems Reynolds is down as Producer as well.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:26 AM   #168
def28
Side-Kick

Was mentioned awhile back but never confirmed.

Thats good to hear he will have a hand in producing the flick. We know he had alot to do with the script as well.

Reynolds aint gonna **** this up.

Last edited by def28; 04-11-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #169
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

And Hugh Jackman was a producer for Wolverine :S

All my faith for this film is wrapped up in Reynolds.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #170
The Morningstar
Banned User

What does Reynolds being officially a Producer actually mean to the film though?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #171
CelticPredator
Banned User

An extra credit?

Probably will be the guy that tells it like it is. Reynolds could totally walk if he feels like it wont work. He's one of two things that will make this movie sell. If he's gone, half the audience is gone (Reynolds fans). So all they have left is Deadpool fans....whom most are behind Reynolds anyway...so they'll probably be gone too.

Fox should tread lighty.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #172
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Yeah, I think Fox already knew this movie will live or die by Reynolds involvement, and on top of him overseeing the script, him being a producer means he can pretty much be on top of any meddling (hopefully)

Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #173
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Deadpool could beat The Wolverine to the screen.Deadpool has a director,and Inless they change filming outside Japan The Wolverine could be further delayed.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #174
The Morningstar
Banned User

I think that may be a reason why Fox pulled their finger out, to be honest. They saw The Wolverine taking a few steps backwards, so pushed Deadpool forward.

Or they could have genuinely been trying to get directors on board all this time.

I still think it's a shame Rodriguez didn't come on board. The script is made for the guy, even has a cool little Mariachi reference in there. Plus he is a one man movie making machine. He directs, scores, edits... everything. Which would have helped keep the budget down. And he brings his own fanbase to the whole thing, which would have helped box office wise.

Why did he turn it down anyway? I heard he loved the script. Too much on his plate or something?

Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #175
CelticPredator
Banned User

Too much on his plate.

Closed Thread