The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 01-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #226
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

GAMBIT

CBR News: Marjorie, we know Gambit is a character you love to write and in a book like "X-23" you generally wrote him as part of duo. What's it like writing him as a member of the X-Men? Which aspects of the character and his dynamic with the X-Men are you interested in examining? What sort of role does he play on this team?

Marjorie Liu: I'm interested in exploring his role as an outsider to the team. I mean, there are other characters who might be considered outsiders -- like Warbird, who isn't just new to the X-Men, but the actual planet -- but Gambit has always been on some odd footing with the X-Men. His past is almost as mysterious and dark as Wolverine's, who didn't used to be such an angel -- and yet, Wolverine has become a respected figure in ways that Gambit hasn't, and might never.

Gambit chose to side with Wolverine's school-based faction of the X-Men and it seems many of his reasons are based on his experiences as a kid and more recently with X-23. Is that correct? What is Gambit's view on Cyclops' Utopia-based faction of the X-Men?

Liu: I think it's several things. Gambit's role as mentor and protector to X-23 might have made him look as his own potential as a teacher in a different way. Not that I think he would like to teach in a traditional setting -- but I do feel he's seen that he has something, maybe, to offer Wolverine's school. More importantly, though, he's not the type to send children into battle. Being someone who had no childhood of his own, who had to grow up rough and ready to fight, imposing that life on the young -- even if it is a big, bad, world -- would make him deeply uncomfortable.

Mike, in this drawing you really seemed to emphasize both the physical nature of Gambit and his shadowy background as a thief. Are these the qualities you find most interesting about him or are there other aspects of the character you enjoy as well?

Mike Perkins: I like Gambit to be the charming scoundrel. The guy who's maybe not one step ahead simply because he knows he can rely on his charm to get him out of a sticky situation. I also see him as being almost balletic in battle and there's a chance to play around, illustratively, with the movement of his long coat.

We also couldn't help but notice Gambit is throwing the Ace of Spades and the Ace of Hearts. Are these just cards? Or do they provide commentary on the character's nature?

Perkins: Hah! I'm glad you caught that! Yes, they're definitely comments on the character's nature. He has this divide in his nature that has shown up throughout his history and this was a shorthand way of showing this.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=36392

Old 01-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #227
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
I guess he'll be comisserating with Frenzy, lol. Looks like the two of them are going have a fling if not more.
Please let this be a drunken one-nighter! There is absolutely no chemistry between them, and Gambit could go to a bar and come home with something 10 times better than Frenzy. I mean, Psylocke could use a "shoulder to cry on" right now since she "lost" Warren. Hell, even Kitty would be better... Let's just hope this is a beginning of a string of one-nighters for our Cajun. Let's get back to basics, Remy! Love 'em and leave 'em!

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #228
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I don't know that they don't have chemistry. Frenzy certainly has spunk, a similar trait of Yukio and I had no trouble with him taking her for a tumble.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #229
BoredGuy
Killing Time

wait, Gambit hooked up with yukio?

so that would mean him and wolverine are.... weiner cousins?!?

..ewwwww

BoredGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #230
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Yukio is Lady Deathstrike, right?

He should get with Dazzler next.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #231
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
Yukio is Lady Deathstrike, right?

He should get with Dazzler next.
nah, 2 different characters. Deathstrike is a Wolverine villian and Yukio is Storm's ex (everyone knows they were more than just friends)

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #232
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

^ Oh, that's right. Deathstrike is Yuriko.

Anyway, Gambit should be shagging his way around the MU.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #233
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
wait, Gambit hooked up with yukio?

so that would mean him and wolverine are.... weiner cousins?!?

..ewwwww
It was heavily implied anyhow.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #234
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Sigh....Looks like Gage is continuing the Carey character assasination of Rogue and Gambit in the new preview (it will be probably be up soon in the Legacy thread). Rogue is still acting dumb and immature and Gambit is back to love sick puppy status again...At least I won't be picking that title up anytime soon, which will be good for my budget.

Astonishing X Men it is!

Old 03-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #235
Cardshark
Side-Kick

So this thread is dead...

What do you guys think of Gambits appearences in Legacy and Astonishing this week?

Cardshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #236
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardshark View Post
So this thread is dead...

What do you guys think of Gambits appearences in Legacy and Astonishing this week?
It's like having two different Gambits (maybe the Legacy one is a Skrull????). Liu's Gambit is the good ol' Cajun we love, and Legacy Gambit is getting more emo (if that's even possible at this point) and crappier. I wish they would take him out of Legacy all together.

Loved Gambit and Cece's interaction, and that Remy has the sense to live in NYC instead of Westchester (though I always thought of him as more as a Lower East Side kinda guy). Glad to see him stealing artwork again, and that picture with him and X-23 made my heart melt (sigh!).

Old 03-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #237
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClareToo View Post
It's like having two different Gambits (maybe the Legacy one is a Skrull????). Liu's Gambit is the good ol' Cajun we love, and Legacy Gambit is getting more emo (if that's even possible at this point) and crappier. I wish they would take him out of Legacy all together.

Loved Gambit and Cece's interaction, and that Remy has the sense to live in NYC instead of Westchester (though I always thought of him as more as a Lower East Side kinda guy). Glad to see him stealing artwork again, and that picture with him and X-23 made my heart melt (sigh!).
At this point, no one's really sure Gambit is still in Legacy. The writers there have never particularly liked the character, and they do an awful job of writing him.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #238
Cardshark
Side-Kick

I don't know, i know that quite a lot of writers and editors at Marvel like Gambit.

But yeah why is Legacy always Remys kryptonite?

I wonder if editorial is keeping Gambit in Legacy, because he's one of the best known characters or because the Gambit/Rogue thing is popular.

I wouldn't mind Gambits small role in Legacy, but he is just so out of character, he just dosen't read like Gambit.

My hope is that Gambit leaves Legacy some time soon and is the new member of X-force.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #239
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
I don't know, i know that quite a lot of writers and editors at Marvel like Gambit.

I wonder if editorial is keeping Gambit in Legacy, because he's one of the best known characters or because the Gambit/Rogue thing is popular.

I wouldn't mind Gambits small role in Legacy, but he is just so out of character, he just dosen't read like Gambit.

My hope is that Gambit leaves Legacy some time soon and is the new member of X-force.
Well Gambit has had a brief return to semi-popularity in recent years. Possibly to the head office's chagrin, haha. He'd been pretty excommunicated for awhile, and then returned to showing up in video games, movies, etc. etc.

And now they're actually letting him go one-on-one with Captain America in the upcoming Avengers vs. X-Men book. Big turnaround.

He's never fought Steve Rogers before, to my recollection. I know that he beat Hawkeye once upon a time.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #240
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:

Because Carey only really cares about Rogue. In Legacy, Remy's sole purpose in life is to blow sunshine up her ass and be "supportive". So far I'm liking him much better in Astonishing. It was nice to see him have his own place away from the Xs, nice to see him helping out Cecilia the same way he did X23. That's more like his regular self.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #241
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlegend View Post
Well Gambit has had a brief return to semi-popularity in recent years. Possibly to the head office's chagrin, haha. He'd been pretty excommunicated for awhile, and then returned to showing up in video games, movies, etc. etc.

And now they're actually letting him go one-on-one with Captain America in the upcoming Avengers vs. X-Men book. Big turnaround.

He's never fought Steve Rogers before, to my recollection. I know that he beat Hawkeye once upon a time.
His turnaround in popularity seemed to have coincided with the Disney take-over. I wonder if the head honchos over there are nudging Marvel a bit about Gambit since they probably see the potential the character has at being a financial goldmine along other popular Marvel characters without the biases the editorial staff have against him. In most of the X-forums I've seen, the Gambit fan threads are by far the most active and popular. That couldn't have gone by unnoticed by Disney.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #242
Cardshark
Side-Kick

I'm thinking it has to do a lot with the writers that are now coming through with Marvel, y'know the 80s writers like Fraction hate on Gambit or anything 90s.

But the 90s Marvel fans like Cullen Bunn, Liu, Yost, etc who like Gambit are now going up the ranks at Marvel.

Great point about the whole internet forum thing, also just checking Facebook, Gambit has the 2nd most fans in the world in the X-men, no 1 being Wolverine, that might not of gone unoticed as well.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #243
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Gambit is also the second most popular male in fan fiction, right up there with Wolverine. They can just let him fade away. I wouldn't be surprised if that Avengers vrs issue with Captain America and Gambit doesn't sell the best out of the bunch.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #244
Cardshark
Side-Kick

Yeah i wouldn't be suprised if it was the best selling Vs issue either.

I think so far it's the most interesting vs match, but it depends if the writer did his research. Is it the dodging bullets, super speed/agility/endurance Gambit or is it the "just throws cards" Gambit. It could go either way.

Obviously their not going to have Cap lose, but hopefully he goes out in style.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #245
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

It's the only vrs ish I plan to buy since most issues like that usually suck anyhow. I don't have a high expectation for it but it's my boy so it's a must buy.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #246
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
Yeah i wouldn't be suprised if it was the best selling Vs issue either.

I think so far it's the most interesting vs match, but it depends if the writer did his research. Is it the dodging bullets, super speed/agility/endurance Gambit or is it the "just throws cards" Gambit. It could go either way.

Obviously their not going to have Cap lose, but hopefully he goes out in style.
I don't think either writer has much first hand experience with Gambit or Cap... So it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Obviously the big office will tell them who's going to win (and Marvel would never let a character let Gambit take down Captain America, especially in the same month Avengers is released...) - but how they get there will be a total wildcard.

In a perfect world I'd like to see them incorporate Gambit's dirtier/sneakier side during the fight.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #247
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Are draws allowed in AvX?

Old 04-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #248
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClareToo View Post
Are draws allowed in AvX?
I'm sure there will be at the very least a handful of them. Always are.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #249
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

It is my guess that the fight between Cap and Gambit will likley be a draw. I just don't think they dislike each other enough to do the full beat down.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #250
Cardshark
Side-Kick

I think our best hope is that it's a draw, i think that it would do wonders for Gambit.

My guess is Gambit will probably lose and that's how the Avengers get his bo staff (maybe they capture him?).

Last edited by Cardshark; 04-04-2012 at 01:33 PM.