Blue beetle 8 28.57%
Martian Manhunter 2 7.14%
Firestorm 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
WBwins
Side-Kick

Default Expanding the CW universe discussion

Dicuss the CW DC universe here and how you think it should be expanded.

WBwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
WBwins
Side-Kick

Default Re: Expanding the CW universe discussion

Firstly kudos to CW for building such a fantastic version of the DC universe on TV.Looking forward to possibly seeing a version of the JL on this universe.

The Lineup should be something like this
Martian Manhunter (CW replacement for Superman)

Arrow(CW replacement for Batman)

Canary(CW replacement for Wonderwoman)

Green Lantern(can be replaced with Blue beetle if WB doesnt give permission for him)

Flash

Atom(CW replacement for Aquaman)

Firestorm or Blue beetle(CW replacement for Cyborg)

AS for the next tv show I vote Green lantern to open up thecosmic side

Last edited by WBwins; 08-29-2014 at 08:45 AM.
WBwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
CaptainWagner
Side-Kick

Very tough to choose between Blue Beetle and Martian Manhunter. I'm going to pick J'onn just because it would be more unique than a Beetle series. So long as Ted gets on one of the shows at some point, I'll be happy.

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I remain *extremely* skeptical of the ability to do Green Lantern on a CW budget. Most of the other ideas work fine, though. It almost sounds like the setup for a Giffen JLA, honestly.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

GL is never going to be done as a solo series. They don't have anywhere NEAR the budget to do it justice.

I say bring Barbara Gordon in on Arrow and spin off the Birds of Prey.

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
Rorschach2012
$

a Green Lantern tv series would be a dream come true I think an episodic format is the best way for the GL story to unfold in live action.

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

I think Blue Beetle could be interesting.

Plus it could be done with a reasonable budget unlike the others.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
lanesrader
Side-Kick

Andrew Kreisberg did say they tried asking for Ted Kord in Arrows 3rd season but they got Ray Palmer instead cause "they had other plans for him."

Don't know what that means. Either he's in the movie verse. Or maybe give him his own show instead of just a guest star.

lanesrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:43 AM   #9
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I say bring Barbara Gordon in on Arrow and spin off the Birds of Prey.
I think that would be a smart thing to do.

If they were able to, a Catwoman series would be cool to have.

Or bring in a Secret Six series.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:46 AM   #10
Rorschach2012
$

A Catwoman series is in amazing idea

A Nightwing or Green Lantern series would be what i want. and Martian Manhunter should be introduced into the CW universe at some point for sure.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:46 AM   #11
Airwings
Waves of air

Option "other" - Elongated Man.
He fits the darker approach the DC heroes have now.

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:32 AM   #12
Rorschach2012
$

What about a Young Justice series?

Arsenal introduced on Arrow
Kid Flash introduced on The Flash
Starfire, Raven and Beast Boy can be the rest of the team. Jericho and Terra can be added later on.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:14 AM   #13
batdude
Side-Kick

I think Firestorm would be fun to try. Robbie Amell should be ok. might depend on who they get for Professor Stein and or Jason Rusch. GL? I could live with it being a guest appearance(preferably by Jensen Ackles). His own series might look too much like a CW attempt at Star Trek.

batdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #14
Loki882
Side-Kick

Suicide Squad (spinoff of Arrow0-Deadshot, Bronze Tiger, Harley if she's available for a bigger role, and bring in some other classis squad members. Deathstroke in a recurring role).

Birds of Prey (spinoff of Arrow)-Black Canary, Huntress (seeking redemption), Felicity in the Oracle role, and introduce some classic BOP members as well.

Nightwing TV show.

Zatanna-The mistress of magic deserves her shot.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #15
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by batdude View Post
I think Firestorm would be fun to try. Robbie Amell should be ok. might depend on who they get for Professor Stein and or Jason Rusch. GL? I could live with it being a guest appearance(preferably by Jensen Ackles). His own series might look too much like a CW attempt at Star Trek.
what kinda reasoning is this? i think it would look like a CW attempt at Green Lantern. There are plenty of scifi television series going on right now that don't feel like the "insert network here" attempt at Star Trek.

Some of the creators of the Arrow and Flash series were involved with the Green Lantern movie. The actual movie ended up pretty bad, but the early treatment of the script was fantastic. I think that team has the potential to put out a good Green Lantern series, and I think television is a better place for solo Green Lantern right now anyways. Plus these guys have really proven themselves on tv. There are so many stories that should be told, and so many great characters to introduce, it's harder to do GL justice in a movie series. The budget would be the only problem i could see. But then again, Syfy is putting out some pretty high quality stuff as far as visual effects go. I think it's getting easier and easier for a Green Lantern tv series to work.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #16
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

I'd be all for a Martian Manhunter show despite the amount of prosthetic work and clever scripting required. He's one of my favorite DC heroes which sucks because he's gotten the shaft since the reboot.

The only downfall I'd see it having that very peculiar CW vibe, the overly complicated relationships and heavy drama, the very tween feel with nearly all of the characters being very "pretty" twenty something year olds, and that warm glow filter they like to use. And maybe Im just being nit picky but those are all things I've noticed watching smallville, Arrow and you can already see it In Flash. But I do think most of that cw vibe is okay for the flash series (it would also be okay for Blue Beetle series feat. Jaime Reyes).
But at the same time it kept me from taking Arrow seriously for like the first 8 episodes or so because they're trying to make it dark and gritty. And as much as I like arrow now I still kinda wish it was originally on fox so it wouldn't have that cw vibe, but that's neither here nor there.

Another show I'd like to see is The Spectre. It'd be an interesting series for DC to do, which I also think would go well on fox.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:14 AM   #17
batdude
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
what kinda reasoning is this? i think it would look like a CW attempt at Green Lantern. There are plenty of scifi television series going on right now that don't feel like the "insert network here" attempt at Star Trek.

Some of the creators of the Arrow and Flash series were involved with the Green Lantern movie. The actual movie ended up pretty bad, but the early treatment of the script was fantastic. I think that team has the potential to put out a good Green Lantern series, and I think television is a better place for solo Green Lantern right now anyways. Plus these guys have really proven themselves on tv. There are so many stories that should be told, and so many great characters to introduce, it's harder to do GL justice in a movie series. The budget would be the only problem i could see. But then again, Syfy is putting out some pretty high quality stuff as far as visual effects go. I think it's getting easier and easier for a Green Lantern tv series to work.
Oh, I think Geoff Johns could do it on Fox or NBC. I just am not sure I want a GL series where it's 95% percent on earth because we can't afford the effects to do Oa or Kilowog right. Believe me, if I thought the CW could afford it, I'd be all for it, because you could have crossovers with Arrow and Flash.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:25 AM   #18
Rorschach2012
$

Farscape, BSG, Star Trek, Star Trek TNG were all done years ago , technology has come a long way since then, they can do GL justice on the cw.

Hal Jordan should definitely be the next big character introduced into the CWverse. He may or may not get his own spinoff series, but he should at least guest star on Arrow or Flash

Old 08-31-2014, 02:41 AM   #19
batdude
Side-Kick

Man, I hope you are right. Kind of hope Guy Gardner shows up at some point too.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #20
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Farscape, BSG, Star Trek, Star Trek TNG were all done years ago , technology has come a long way since then, they can do GL justice on the cw.

I think in some ways folks are too demanding.The CGI doesn't need to be from a multi-million $$$ Budget to do justice.A green beam of light that shapes into different forms isn't too tough to do.There have been a ton of Sci-Fi on tv budgets that were decent.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #21
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

I voted Atom,btw.A different kind of SH concept(shrinking),character would look cool (provided the costume is done right-and CW has been doing right by them so far) Routh is a good actor,have his hottie wife join the show and it'd be pretty darn exciting.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #22
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter.

Go big or go home.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:02 PM   #23
Rorschach2012
$

I don't think we'll ever get the big 3 on the show. So i'm just hoping for Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, and the Teen Titans.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #24
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I really don't like this poll's options. They are very very limited.

I wouldn't do a series that has storylines that can/should be covered on Arrow. Birds of Prey, Suicide Squad, Catwoman and Nightwing would make great Arrow storylines and the kinds of storylines that show would cover would be better on Arrow with more established characters, and thus you wouldn't have two shows going through different vigilante/espionage storylines so that there'd be nothing to do by Arrow season 4 that hadn't already been done on Birds of Prey or Suicide Squad.

I wouldn't do anything that fits on Flash for the same reason. Firestorm is a Flash supporting character, as are anything metahuman really, as that is the CW-verse source for superpowers, the Particle Accelerator explosion. Flash is the king of that world, and that's really cool. Let him be that. Again, same thing with taking metahuman storylines and splitting them between two okay shows instead of making one incredible show that allows the Fastest Man Alive to literally run the gamut.

For a similar reason, I wouldn't do anything Batman or DC Magic related, because Gotham and Constantine will be using a lot of that stuff, and you don't want to be redundant, y'know.

I also think the 'trinity' of the CW-verse shouldn't be three white guys. A female or POC or both would be preferred.

A team show has potential, but that just seems like a roundabout way to focus on a white male character again, just with the supporting cast now having powers and the show being called a team name.

I wouldn't do Martian Manhunter as a CW twenty something angst fest. That doesn't feel like it has any chance of capturing the heart of the character.

I would enjoy a Green Lantern show, and I think that might be possible. The catches are, if it is possible, it's *Barely* possible, with little room for error and that it may not be allowed by WB based on their plans for Green Lantern going forward. As such, GL might not be the very best call.

My suggestion:

Kendra Munoz (female POC), dealing with reincarnation (supernatural shenangians, but not magic) and Thanagarian heritage (aliens and sci fi), taking inspirations from the Thor films (electrified mace! warrior ragefighting!), while having a very different powerset from Arrow or Flash and making a clear Trinity analogue.

Batman -> Arrow
Superman -> Flash
Wonder Woman -> Hawkgirl

Also a very affordable powerset, freeing up money for crazy villains and such. Interesting family relations: Grandfather 'Speed' Saunders, daughter Mia for momma bear power, throw in some DC standbys like Tawny Young, Snapper Carr and Susan Dearborn (dating pre-elongated Ralph Dibny?), put her in a love triangle between Carter Hall and Dr. Anton Hastor, DC aliens as the big bads per season, Kanjar Ro, Despero, Starro, with her and Hawkman's villains and those from the All Star Squadron as your baddies of the week.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 PM   #25
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post

My suggestion:

Kendra Munoz (female POC), dealing with reincarnation (supernatural shenangians, but not magic) and Thanagarian heritage (aliens and sci fi), taking inspirations from the Thor films (electrified mace! warrior ragefighting!), while having a very different powerset from Arrow or Flash and making a clear Trinity analogue.

Batman -> Arrow
Superman -> Flash
Wonder Woman -> Hawkgirl
Nice! ...so long as the show in part delves into her looking for her reincarnated partner.
And yeah some of her past life (highlander style)flashbacks should be to having been aliens on another worlds, to being parts of ancient civilizations...etc infinite possibilities.
They can even have different people looks, ethnicities, playing her and Katar in past or current lives that's why it's so hard to find each other now since they don't recognize eachother at first.

Last edited by Mondragon; 08-31-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote