The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 10-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
luis4u
Side-Kick

Default Warner Bros. Digital Division Announces "Static Shock" Live-Action Project

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56482

luis4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
luis4u
Side-Kick

Default Re: Warner Bros. Digital Division Announces "Static Shock" Live-Action Project

Multiple news outlets including Variety and The Hollywood Reporter report that Warner Bros. has announced Blue Ribbon Content as the official name of its short-form digital division, as well as revealed new projects set for the digital entertainment realm -- including a live-action "Static Shock" project from Reginald Hudlin. Details on the project are incredibly sparse, though THR noted that the series would be based on the "Static" comic, originally written in 1993 by Dwayne McDuffie and Robert L. Washington with art by John Paul Leon as part of DC's Milestone imprint.
Blue Ribbon Content also has a "virtual-reality experience" based on "Batman: The Animated Series" in the pipeline, as well as an untitled "Mortal Kombat" series that ties into the upcoming "Mortal Kombat X" video game. Previously announced projects from the newly-named division include "Justice League: Gods and Monsters" (set to air on Machinima in 2015) and the current "Veronica Mars" spinoff series "Play It Again, Dick" (airing on CW Seed).
Readers are likely familiar with the more modern version of "Static Shock," popularized through the animated series of the same name, which ran for four seasons. Each incarnation of the story focused on teenager Virgil Hawkins, who gained a variety of electromagnetic powers after an event called the Big Bang. The event also created a number of other "Bang Babies" who gained metahuman powers as a result of the event.
"Static Shock" was also one of the launch titles of the New 52, but was cancelled after its eighth issue in April 2012.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
famicommander
Side-Kick

Default Re: Warner Bros. Digital Division Announces "Static Shock" Live-Action Project

I'd love for this to tie into Flash/Arrow and/or Titans (if that gets picked up).

Either way, more comic book shows is a good thing. I love Flash, Arrow is decent, and I'm hyped for Daredevil and Constantine.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
luis4u
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
I'd love for this to tie into Flash/Arrow and/or Titans (if that gets picked up).

Either way, more comic book shows is a good thing. I love Flash, Arrow is decent, and I'm hyped for Daredevil and Constantine.

I doubt they tie to it is a digital series..

Old 10-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Kar
Side-Kick

Best news I heard all day.

All year, as a matter of fact.

Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Rorschach2012
$

Hell yeah! I'll be watching this. Static Shock was an amazing show.

WB/DC is doing EVERYTHING right
Another Superman solo
a Batman solo
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Green Lantern
Cyborg
The Flash
Justice League
Justice League 2
Batman v Superman
Titans
The Flash (tv)
Arrow
Supergirl
Static!
Constantine
Gotham
Sandman
Lucifer

i probably missed some stuff, but that's an amazing lineup.

Finally WB/DC is measuring up to Marvel's live action efforts. DC is catching up extremely fast

oh man if this ties to Flash/Arrow/Titans, that'd be ****ing amazing. Static on the Titans is a genius idea

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
The Guard
Side-Kick

If only WB wasn't wasting its properties and had a plan...

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Oooo, I'll definitely be watching this. Here's hoping it actually comes to fruition.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Forgive me, but how does this work? Will it be like Itunes or something where you buy the episodes?

Pickleweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
EssayM
Just A Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post

Another Superman solo
a Batman solo
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Green Lantern
Cyborg
The Flash
Justice League
Justice League 2
Batman v Superman
Titans
The Flash (tv)
Arrow
Supergirl
Static!
Constantine
Gotham
Sandman
Lucifer

i probably missed some stuff, but that's an amazing lineup.

Finally WB/DC is measuring up to Marvel's live action efforts. DC is catching up extremely fast
To be fair, only five of those are anywhere past the announcement stage; no footage, no set pictures, just "We're doing an XYZ movie/pilot that may become a show". Marvel may not have as many projects announced, but the ones that are are visibly in production, and they anyway have over five years of audience goodwill to carry them through any rough spots. In terms of their movies, DC is mostly banking this entire slate on one incredibly mixed success, and another film that hasn't even come out yet. Sony tried that with ASM2, and now they're having to back out on a ton of things (no Venom movie, Spidey's being recast, etc.). Even on TV, I think most of the GA just thinks of Arrow and company as "great shows based on DC characters", rather than as part of a brand like AoS or the upcoming Netflix shows.

In other words, if you mean "catching up" in terms of actual accomplishments, that's dubious at best.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM View Post
To be fair, only five of those are anywhere past the announcement stage; no footage, no set pictures, just "We're doing an XYZ movie/pilot that may become a show". Marvel may not have as many projects announced, but the ones that are are visibly in production, and they anyway have over five years of audience goodwill to carry them through any rough spots. In terms of their movies, DC is mostly banking this entire slate on one incredibly mixed success, and another film that hasn't even come out yet. Sony tried that with ASM2, and now they're having to back out on a ton of things (no Venom movie, Spidey's being recast, etc.). Even on TV, I think most of the GA just thinks of Arrow and company as "great shows based on DC characters", rather than as part of a brand like AoS or the upcoming Netflix shows.

In other words, if you mean "catching up" in terms of actual accomplishments, that's dubious at best.
Not sure how that is being fair? How is what you said the fair version of what he said? That is not being fair that is just being pessimistic

Old 10-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
EssayM
Just A Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
Not sure how that is being fair? How is what you said the fair version of what he said? That is not being fair that is just being pessimistic
For one, I don't know how I was being pessimistic. I didn't predict that DC was going to fail or that any of those movies/shows would bomb. At best I was expressing a concern about their direction.

As far as to how I was "being fair": Rorshach was talking about how "DC is catching up to Marvel so fast". I qualified that by pointing out that they've only announced that many projects, whereas Marvel has more stuff that's actually been made. I apologize for going somewhat off topic, but I do feel that was a fair point to make.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #13
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM View Post
For one, I don't know how I was being pessimistic. I didn't predict that DC was going to fail or that any of those movies/shows would bomb. At best I was expressing a concern about their direction.

As far as to how I was "being fair": Rorshach was talking about how "DC is catching up to Marvel so fast". I qualified that by pointing out that they've only announced that many projects, whereas Marvel has more stuff that's actually been made. I apologize for going somewhat off topic, but I do feel that was a fair point to make.
Your suggesting the things on that list won't be made which is what pessimism is.

As far as actually being made Marvel has 2 movies and like 4 TV shows

DC has 1 movie and 5 TV shows, how is that not catching up?

Just being negative to be negative

Old 10-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #14
Zordan
Robin

Talking Re: Warner Bros. Digital Division Announces "Static Shock" Live-Action Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post

Another Superman solo
a Batman solo
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Green Lantern
Cyborg
The Flash
Justice League
Justice League 2
Batman v Superman
Titans
The Flash (tv)
Arrow
Supergirl
Static!
Constantine
Gotham
Sandman
Lucifer
plus

Sandman
Justice League Dark
Metal Men
Legion of Superheroes

tv:
iZombie
Preacher
Hourman
The Spectre
DMZ
Ronin
Scalped
Static Shock

Old 10-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Your suggesting the things on that list won't be made which is what pessimism is.

Because WB's track record hasn't been stellar in this regard. They've announced that they're making things in the past, only to repeatedly pull the plug later on. It's not being pessimistic to look at their past track record. And Marvel has 2 movies FILMING, but at least three more that WILL happen and they also currently have one TV show airing and one more about to air. A lot of WB's projects are either "they're developing a pilot that MIGHT get picked up, or they're developing an idea for a show that may or may not get picked up by a network." Like I said, WB's track record is mixed at best, so a little caution is warranted. That doesn't mean that we don't want it to happen (we do), but blind love isn't good either. Oh and "negative just to be negative" NO that's not what he was doing, so stop saying that. It's disrespectful and only makes YOU look bad.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #16
LEVITIKUZ
Devil Who Does God's Work

The question remains...

will Shaq cameo like he did in the show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I'd like to once again point out that we are talking about Rick Flagg.

LEVITIKUZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #17
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Because WB's track record hasn't been stellar in this regard. They've announced that they're making things in the past, only to repeatedly pull the plug later on. It's not being pessimistic to look at their past track record. And Marvel has 2 movies FILMING, but at least three more that WILL happen and they also currently have one TV show airing and one more about to air. A lot of WB's projects are either "they're developing a pilot that MIGHT get picked up, or they're developing an idea for a show that may or may not get picked up by a network." Like I said, WB's track record is mixed at best, so a little caution is warranted. That doesn't mean that we don't want it to happen (we do), but blind love isn't good either. Oh and "negative just to be negative" NO that's not what he was doing, so stop saying that. It's disrespectful and only makes YOU look bad.
Uh no but whatever

Old 10-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #18
Derrick9592
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVITIKUZ View Post
The question remains...

As much I loved watching Static Shock growing up, I really hope they give Shaq a cameo for the live-action adaption. Seriously, this is one of the best news I've heard in a while. I'm excited for it.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #19
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVITIKUZ View Post
The question remains...

Shaq's got mad DC connections... Steel, Static Shock cameo

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #20
LEVITIKUZ

Static and Steel team up.

Quote:

Old 10-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #21
EssayM
Just A Guy

Quote:

Ooookay.....

1. When at any point did I say anything "won't be made"? I just said they're not made yet. A fact. Nothing subjective or opinionated in that statement.

2. I think you might want to work on your math if you're honestly saying there are only two movies in the MCU. (Just for the heck of it: Marvel has ten movies and only one TV show (at least until AC and the Netflix shows start), all in the same universe. DC has one movie, and three completely unrelated TV shows. So while DC has more shows, Marvel has an unbelievable headstart in the movies.)

(Also, I feel I should clarify that I am neither a Marvel fanboy nor a DC one. I like both companies, I love them when they're good and I acknowledge the flaws in both. I just don't see why DC is suddenly "all caught up" just because they listed off a bunch of movie titles.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #22
Kar
Side-Kick

I wonder what type of approach will they be going for with this series. Will it be DC's Spiderman?

I think its in good hands with Hudlin.

Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #23
Nokio
Side-Kick

Oh God I was onboard until I saw that Reginald Hudlin is attached.

Nokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #24
LEVITIKUZ

So Jaden is being looked at for Static...

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/1...tic-shock.html

Quote:

Old 10-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #25
TheComicbookKid
There is Risk

I know there are other black actors out there that can take this role.