The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
batman1
Side-Kick

Default Christopher Nolan is themaster DC Films guys. What makes him so good?

What's he do that noone else does?

batman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
the last son
Side-Kick

Default Re: Christopher Nolan is themaster DC Films guys. What makes him so good?

Go out of his way to take the fun out of them. Some parts of TDKR were just boring.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Christopher Nolan is themaster DC Films guys. What makes him so good?

Well, he's not the best director ever but he's a really good one, one of the best mainstream directors right now, and doesn't have a single bad film. But everything has to do with tastes and style, some don't like his style of filmmaking, so they don't like him being that popular either, not to mention that many fans keep wanting him to do certain projects that don't really suit his style.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
the last son
Side-Kick

Hmm bad film is opinion based. I haven't seen it in 5 years, but Memento was one of the most boring movies I've ever watched.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
the last son
Side-Kick

Zimmer is what makes Nolan so good. Zimmer elevates every movie he touches.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Human Torch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1 View Post
Anno,zat you?

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
The Guard
Side-Kick

Nothing inherently makes him the best, really. When it comes to superhero films, he's worked with the right mix of writers and talent, and has navigated the industry and its creative obstacles well. Christopher Nolan is a solid storyteller and a very good filmmaker and Warner Brothers really likes/d him. That's about the long and the short of it.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
DocHolliday
Side-Kick

Better him in charge than the incompetent fanboys that run DC Creative(Geoff Johns). Warner gave DC their shot at making a film their way with Green Lantern and they blew it.

DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

Lol @ this thread.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
DocHolliday
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Hmm bad film is opinion based. I haven't seen it in 5 years, but Memento was one of the most boring movies I've ever watched.
Memento is neither bad nor boring. Insomnia on the other hand...

Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Good luck and good timing.

Yes, Nolan is a good director. Hell, he's more than good, he's great. However, what makes his Batman movies work is that his own personal style just happens to be a fairly close fit with Batman. Thus, he's good at making Batman movies. . . but it really doesn't mean anything for his ability to make any other DC adaptations.

( well, aside from comics picked specifically to fit the same aesthetic, perhaps. Maybe John Constantine? )

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
DocHolliday
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Good luck and good timing.

Yes, Nolan is a good director. Hell, he's more than good, he's great. However, what makes his Batman movies work is that his own personal style just happens to be a fairly close fit with Batman. Thus, he's good at making Batman movies. . . but it really doesn't mean anything for his ability to make any other DC adaptations.

( well, aside from comics picked specifically to fit the same aesthetic, perhaps. Maybe John Constantine? )
I would LOVE to see a Hellblazer film directed by Nolan.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Better him in charge than the incompetent fanboys that run DC Creative(Geoff Johns). Warner gave DC their shot at making a film their way with Green Lantern and they blew it.
Most reports said Johns input was more of the excited child kind, he came out with cool ideas but nothing ever really came from them because he didn't sit at the grownups table. It's also why he has no creative credit.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
Victarion
Cut

He gave me an arc for Bruce in TDKR that I could get emotionally invested in. The closest to that has been the Hellboy series, but its more that I'd want to hang out the Red, Abe, Liz and the others from the BPRD. I also liked the use of a social revolution in TDKR. However, I don't want Chris being forced into the position of DC film universe overseer if he doesn't feel invested in it.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #15
Steamteck
Side-Kick

I know I'm a heathen but I'm just not that impressed by him. Batman was a fairly good fit for a IMO overly grounded version of the characters but not any character with fantastic elements. Unlike many others, I have trouble getting invested in his characters as opposed to other supposedly lesser directors. That's all I'll say because I don't want to rain on anyone else's parade.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

Why would you bump this thread lol, just let it recede into digital oblivion...wait why am I bumping it!?!? Noooooo.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #17
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

He takes the story and characters seriously.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #18
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I couldn't even understand the title of this thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #19
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1 View Post

He uses proper punctuation, grammar and syntax.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #20
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Go out of his way to take the fun out of them. Some parts of TDKR were just boring.

Begins has some moments like this too, unfortunately.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 09-20-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #21
Heretic
Side-Kick

If he was "the master" then he would know that Bruce Wayne is obsessed with fighting crime...not constantly looking for someone else to do it for him. He made three Batman films, and Bruce Wayne retired in 2 of them.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:23 AM   #22
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
If he was "the master" then he would know that Bruce Wayne is obsessed with fighting crime...not constantly looking for someone else to do it for him. He made three Batman films, and Bruce Wayne retired in 2 of them.

That crushing in it's truthfulness.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
This is his interpretation.

I see Nolan's movies as essentially his series of graphic novels for the character, his take on the character.

I liked the idea of Bruce actually wanting a life. That is likely something his parents would have wanted and it was something in Nolan's movies Alfred wanted too. He didn't want to see Bruce become insulated and wither away, nor did he want to see him kill himself being Batman.

Hamill-Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #24
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't have a problem with Bruce wanting a life. I take issue with him pining after a girl he kind of likes who doesn't like him that much, and that being the reason he wants to abandon his mission.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #25
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

He was only going to abandon his mission after he saw a way out. If Dent hadn't been the White Knight he was before the accident, he would've been as focused and as dedicated as ever. And let's not forget: the mob only recruited the Joker out of desperation. Batman and Gordon were getting to them and were close to taking them down. Either way you look at it, before the Joker and Harvey's accident, from Bruce's perspective at least, it looked like retirement was on the horizon for Batman, so of course he was going to focus on/talk about it.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote