Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 05-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #101
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Ultimate Comics Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Thor #1 might outsell because of all the variant covers it had such as the Chris Hemsworth one. Like how Uncanny X-Force and X-Men #1 became top selling comics of the year. Tho i doubt Thor #1 will even break it to top 10 personally, maybe top 20 for sure yeah.
Well the rankings are out now, the Mighty Thor #1 was the second highest selling comic of April 2011. It was the best selling ongoing comic of last month, trailing only Marvel's event title Fear Itself.

Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man was ranked #26 on the charts being outsold by the Batman books, the Flash, the Green Lantern books, the Bendis Avengers books, FF, the major X-Men books, and Action Comics #900

Ultimate Comics: Avengers vs. New Ultimates #3 was ranked #35, outsold by Justice League of America, Invincible Iron Man, Captain America, X-Men, Journey into Mystery, etc.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #102
Drz
Real Hero

But if you compare the April sales and March sales you can see all increase overall which is a good thing, because i was under the impression 2011 sales we're starting off rather weak and seeing the insane sales (lol i honestly couldn't believe it! 140k for Thor? Over 200k for Fear Itself?!?!) but still the Ultimate titles climbed up in sales and May is a huge 2nd printing edition for Death of Spider-Man so yeah.

I mean i know you see Ultimate line as something taking good talent from what? Tom Brevoort's machinations of getting fans angry because he perfectly admitted in formspring that upset fans increase sales instead of satisfied ones, and not to mention isn't it ever funny that the guy who is almost purchasing all Deadpool comics which are probably never in the top 50 market. Don't you think the guy doing Deadpool MAX should be on a 616 title instead of wasting his talents on some Max line? I just think your general lack of interest is getting your disinterest but you're trying to use the sales argument while gladly supporting stuff like Deadpool which in itself can be considered a waste, especially considering you seem to dislike the main title, and i mean even amazon is putting off near 50% discounts on books like Deadpool Corps, because the interest is quite low and noone really even recommends this stuff, compared to Ultimate trades constantly selling and being recommended.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #103
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
But if you compare the April sales and March sales you can see all increase overall which is a good thing, because i was under the impression 2011 sales we're starting off rather weak and seeing the insane sales (lol i honestly couldn't believe it! 140k for Thor? Over 200k for Fear Itself?!?!) but still the Ultimate titles climbed up in sales and May is a huge 2nd printing edition for Death of Spider-Man so yeah.
Like I said, I do think that we are going to see a bit of an increase due to the Ultimate line being in an event, but once this event cools down, the sales are just going to go down once more.

Quote:
I mean i know you see Ultimate line as something taking good talent from what? Tom Brevoort's machinations of getting fans angry because he perfectly admitted in formspring that upset fans increase sales instead of satisfied ones,
True

Quote:
and not to mention isn't it ever funny that the guy who is almost purchasing all Deadpool comics which are probably never in the top 50 market.
But that's the completionist in me, not the general trend. I cannot use myself as an example when it comes to the Deadpool market because I am outside of the general trend. And because I don't fool myself that the general trend is like me, I will completely agree that demand for Deadpool is down because of Marvel's tactics.

Quote:
Don't you think the guy doing Deadpool MAX should be on a 616 title instead of wasting his talents on some Max line?
Yes. Because Way's run is terrible and I'd rather see a writer like Lapham or Remender who write awesome versions of Deadpool over Daniel god damn Way. GOD I HATE DANIEL WAY! I HATE HIM. ARRRRGGGGHHHH

Quote:
I just think your general lack of interest is getting your disinterest but you're trying to use the sales argument while gladly supporting stuff like Deadpool which in itself can be considered a waste, especially considering you seem to dislike the main title, and i mean even amazon is putting off near 50% discounts on books like Deadpool Corps, because the interest is quite low and noone really even recommends this stuff, compared to Ultimate trades constantly selling and being recommended.
The difference is that I fully recognize that Marvel milked the Deadpool teet completely dry. So dry that even the vast majority of hardcore Deadpool fans aren't even bothering with anything that is not the core Deadpool title because Marvel pretty much pushed the Deadpool fanbase to its limits. I recognize that I am clearly in the minority, and even then I flat out believe that books like Deadpool Team-Up and Deadpool Corps were just wastes of time.

I don't let my personal habits and biases, affect how I interpret the facts of how poorly the Deadpool market is doing now. Same way that I don't let my personal habits of not buying any Ultimate Marvel books and personal biases of overall hating the Ultimate universe affect how I interpret the facts of while some Ultimate books aren't doing poorly, the general trend of the Ultimate Comics line is that people are just getting less and less interested in the Ultimate line for various reasons.

Last edited by hippie_hunter; 05-14-2011 at 06:04 PM.
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #104
Drz
Real Hero

Kaare Andrews covers Ultimate relaunch!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #105
Drz
Real Hero

August Ultimate comics!

ULTIMATE FALLOUT #4-6 (OF 6)
Written by Brian Bendis, Jonathan Hickman & Nick Spencer
Art by Mark Bagley, Sara Pichelli, Salvador LaRocca, Billy Tan & CLAYTON CRAIN
Issue #4 Cover by MARK BAGLEY
Issue #5 Cover by ADAM KUBERT
Issue #6 Cover by BRYAN HITCH
Issue #4-6 Variant Covers by MARKO DJURDJEVIC
What will become of Captain America? Where have all the X-Men gone?
And what is up with the new Spider-Man suit? Don’t miss the final chapters of one of the most talked about Ultimate events ever.
32 PGS. (each)/Rated T+…$3.99 (each)

ULTIMATE COMICS HAWKEYE #1 (of 4)
Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN
Art by RAFA SANDOVAL
Cover by KAARE ANDREWS
Variant Cover by ADAM KUBERT
Variant Cover by NEAL ADAMS
Hawkeye’s back in a bad way. Armed and dangerous, Clint Barton is tasked with his most perilous mission yet. And what he discovers will reverberate in the entire Ultimate Universe.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

ULTIMATE COMICS ULTIMATES #1
Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN
Art by ESAD RIBIC
Cover by KAARE ANDREWS
Variant Cover by ESAD RIBIC
The Republic Is Burning
The next era has begun. As our heroes struggle to find their place in the world, the The Ultimates face game-changing threats even they can’t handle. And with the heart of the team missing in action, the country’s last stand of defense may be on its last legs. Critically acclaimed writer Jonathan Hickman (Fantastic Four, FF, Secret Warriors) and superstar artist Esad Ribic (Uncanny X-Force) drive the Ultimates into new and deadly territory! The series we’ve all been waiting for!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 05-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #106
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I like the design. Falls more in line with the original style of the Ultimate covers as opposed to the more recent Ultimate Comics designs. And this certainly is the best gathering of talent the Ultimate line has ever had.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #107
Drz
Real Hero

Meh it sucks they're sticking with the 3.99 price tag, should have changed to 2.99!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #108
Mary Jane Watson
Side-Kick

Did anyone read USM 158 and UAV 4 yet? I dont.

A movie stands on its own. The "changes" aren't important - the quality of the film is.
Mary Jane Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #109
Drz
Real Hero

UAV#4:
i really wish this comic was longer, i really crave for more being spoiled by such an awesome roster of character and explosive variant covers and covers themselves that really showed how the Avengers vs. Ultimates would be the biggest clash ever, the fight in #4 ends fastly with Thor one shotting War Machine and Iron Man as a drunkie just annihilating Blade haha, i did like that Blade outmatched Monica Chang and her enchanced suit and whatnot, can't beat pure blood baby!

the Ultimates discussion was really nice and i liked how they weren't insulting the Avengers or wanting them hanged or anything, they completely understood that the Avengers we're just "misguided". I wish Barack Obama was the president however because i swore someone claimed Millar had an idea of having Obama praise Nick Fury and whatnot, i wanted that happen! ANyhow yeah the true villain is revealed and i really liked how Millar is acknowleding how old school villain style he is going, divide and conquer! I also found his motivations so scarily psychopath, all this because of "brotherly competition"? Thats creepy!

Hank Pym getting praise and mentions makes me think Nick Fury in Ultimate universe also has LMDs of his owm, perhaps based off Ultron and Vision 2.0 concepts?

USM#158:

This is mostly a setup issue, but with a great Spidey moment and action, yeha the action is mostly Ultimate Six versus Bobby and Johnny and the bulletwound (blood loss) is starting to get on Peter, next two issues are going to be hell for him for the final fight with the last remaining villains standing after this issue.

I read a good theory on CBR forums how the new Spider-Man might be peter's "dead" body with the venom symbiote regenerating his cells and whatnot slowly but the symbiote is the new Spidey with peter in full control, or they put Peter's dna/memories or something ONTO the venom and thus a new Spidey is born more or less.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #110
Union Jack
defender of the realm

i hope peter doesnt die...have a new spidey for a bit but pete is too important.

but then again its kinda ruins the "death" part of the story arc!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #111
deathmetalgod

Is Ultimate Comics Spider-Man better than Ultimate Spider-Man? I read all 22 Ultimate Spidey but didn't really care for the last 2 or 3. Does UC S-M carry on in a similar vein?

deathmetalgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #112
Venom160
Enigmatic Loner

Quote:
I am so there! Glad to see that marvel is kicking Loeb's ******** to the curb and trying to bring some kind of X-men team back to the ultimate universe.

R.I.P. mom, I love you and forever miss you
Venom160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #113
Mary Jane Watson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmetalgod View Post
Is Ultimate Comics Spider-Man better than Ultimate Spider-Man? I read all 22 Ultimate Spidey but didn't really care for the last 2 or 3. Does UC S-M carry on in a similar vein?
I actually think that UCSM is kinda better than USM, IMO. But UCSM is totallly different than USM.

A movie stands on its own. The "changes" aren't important - the quality of the film is.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #114
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Those covers looks amazing!

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #115
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmetalgod View Post
UC-SM is like Spider-Man and his amazing friends doing adventures together, fightning crime and whatnot, but it's still a very Peter focused book. I think the reboot is gonna be even closer on Spidey teaming up with other heroes and whatnot fightning crime, like the upcoming cartoon.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #116
Drz
Real Hero

Ultimate X #5 preview

Poor Sabretooth, his regeneration is just so weak these days. Still it's Jimmy vs. Sabretooth!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #117
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

That's Sabretooth? What the heck happened to him?

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #118
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Ok that's it, I've been waiting for 3 years for ultimate Hulk to make his glorious return and that sonofa***** loeb wouldn't even include him in the preview? A curse on his name!

Roose Bolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #119
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
That's Sabretooth? What the heck happened to him?
Jeph Loeb. Sabretooth lost his eye during Ultimatum and since then he just hasn't gotten his regeneration working quite as well. Jean Grey put 3 trucks explode on him in Ultimate X #2 and he lost his hair.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #120
storyteller
Side-Kick

Yeah he went being about Colossus size, smart, and 4 damn metal claws on each arm to this. Hell the last we left off he and Wolverine were pretty civil. Heck Sabretooth though Wolverine was actually his dad. They never ever concluded that story. Hell the character is just more then a killer then his 616 counterpart.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #121
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

They should never conclude that story. Like all of Robert Kirkman's ****-tastic work on Ultimate X-Men, it should be forgotten.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #122
Mary Jane Watson
Side-Kick

I think that Ultimate U where Marvel can do anything they want to and playing around with it. But not 616 U.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:38 AM   #123
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Awesome Re: Ultimate Comics Thread - Part 1

Well I thought I'd just take the time to proclaim my absolute love for Ultimate Hulk,

Old 05-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #124
Drz
Real Hero

Matt Fraction via Twitter:

"i just read Ultimate Spider-Man 160. It's everything I wanted and feared. I hate brian and mark for it. bravo, guys. truly outstanding work."

Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #125
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Poor Peter.....