The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 05-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #26
CrazyKnuckles
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Deadpool appreciation thread - Part 1

Hmm... it seems Way isn't very popular... I myself have enjoyed his Deadpool series just fine, I find it to be a Fun read, oh sure one could say he plays up the comedic/cheesy side of Deadpool to much, but meh, I like Deadpool as a comedic killer. & hell anyone who's not Liefeld working on a Deadpool book is all good with me. (Mean I know, but oh well.)

CrazyKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #27
Spider-Man '92
Amazing

I too don't have problem with how the core Deadpool series is going, but a bit more edge would be kind of nice. In the end I'm content with the easygoing Deadpool read I pick up from time to time.

"Even though you've been raised as a human being you are not one of them."
Spider-Man '92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #28
The Morningstar
Banned User

The only Deadpool book I read now is MAX, which i think is genius. Also Uncanny X-Force.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #29
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnuckles View Post
Hmm... it seems Way isn't very popular... I myself have enjoyed his Deadpool series just fine, I find it to be a Fun read, oh sure one could say he plays up the comedic/cheesy side of Deadpool to much, but meh, I like Deadpool as a comedic killer. & hell anyone who's not Liefeld working on a Deadpool book is all good with me. (Mean I know, but oh well.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Man '92 View Post
I too don't have problem with how the core Deadpool series is going, but a bit more edge would be kind of nice. In the end I'm content with the easygoing Deadpool read I pick up from time to time.
The problem with Way's run is that Way has completely ignored all forms of character progression and Deadpool's supporting cast in favor of humor that really isn't suited for Deadpool.

Personally I like to think that Way's Deadpool is out of continuity and he just recently reappeared in Remender's Uncanny X-Force

Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #30
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

Ditto. For me I'm a bit picky and choosey since there were parts I did like, after Cable and Deadpool ended with the couch scene, Wade was wondering what to do, did the Skrull thing, met up with Tasky to resolve the thunderbolts thing. Helped Nate one last time with Hope. Met up with Warren, found out about Cable's death, strengthened resolve to join X-force, annnnnnnnnd here we are now.

Oh, and I feel terrible, but shameless plug:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/417009

I was in a really Deadpool-y mood for a while and threw that audio project together. I figured here would be a good place to share it.

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #31
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
Ditto. For me I'm a bit picky and choosey since there were parts I did like, after Cable and Deadpool ended with the couch scene, Wade was wondering what to do, did the Skrull thing, met up with Tasky to resolve the thunderbolts thing. Helped Nate one last time with Hope. Met up with Warren, found out about Cable's death, strengthened resolve to join X-force, annnnnnnnnd here we are now.
Funny thing, I think the exact same way. THE EXACT SAME WAY. Did I mention how exact it was?

Old 05-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #32
Spider-Man '92
Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
The problem with Way's run is that Way has completely ignored all forms of character progression and Deadpool's supporting cast in favor of humor that really isn't suited for Deadpool.

Personally I like to think that Way's Deadpool is out of continuity and he just recently reappeared in Remender's Uncanny X-Force
This is actually part of the reason I like collecting the current Deadpool. There are only a handful of series that I can collect on a regular basis, and having Deadpool as a character without major continuity makes reading these stories fun and casual. Not that I wouldn't mind continuity and progression, rather than just rehashing "mystery past" bs.

"Even though you've been raised as a human being you are not one of them."
Spider-Man '92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #33
Shockdingo

For me, I wouldn't mind if it weren't for Waid, Kelly and others. At first, Deadpool wasn't anything special, but the later writers gave him life. If he transited from his very first appearance to Way's run, I'd be okay with it. The thing is so soooo much was done to make him interesting beyond the Wolverine style "dark past" stuff. It's because of this that so many of us who have followed Wade's evolution are not happy with the current stuff that is enjoyable to people like yourself. It's all a matter of time exposure. There's nothing wrong with liking Way's stuff, but for me, looking at it through a lens of a decade's worth of connection with the character, it feels hollow.

edit: mixed up a writer ;p

Last edited by Shockdingo; 05-06-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #34
The Morningstar
Banned User

Yea, I can understand liking Way's run in a casual way.

But after reading Deadpool since Mark Waid's mini back in the 90s, I can't read Way's. It's like going back to the days where he made lame appearances in the old X-Force comics.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #35
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
For me, I wouldn't mind if it weren't for Waid, Kelly and others. At first, Deadpool wasn't anything special, but the later writers gave him life. If he transited from his very first appearance to Way's run, I'd be okay with it. The thing is so soooo much was done to make him interesting beyond the Wolverine style "dark past" stuff. It's because of this that so many of us who have followed Wade's evolution are not happy with the current stuff that is enjoyable to people like yourself. It's all a matter of time exposure. There's nothing wrong with liking Way's stuff, but for me, looking at it through a lens of a decade's worth of connection with the character, it feels hollow.

edit: mixed up a writer ;p
What bothers me the most is that Way writes Deadpool who is both literally retarded and as a horrible person. With Waid, Kelly, Simone, Nicezia, and Remender, while Deadpool is certainly no saint, he at least has a heart. And he isn't retarded either.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #36
The Morningstar
Banned User

So IGN put Deadpool at 31 in their top 100 comic book heroes. Surprising that he was that high really. But this quote sums up Deadpool perfectly.

Quote:
But there is depth to this Merc With a Mouth. His humor is a coping mechanism that masks a deeply sad and lonely man.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #37
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
So IGN put Deadpool at 31 in their top 100 comic book heroes. Surprising that he was that high really. But this quote sums up Deadpool perfectly.
You mean the Deadpool that Waid, Kelly, Simone, Nicieza, and Remender write. The Deadpool that Way writes is nothing at all like that.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #38
The Morningstar
Banned User

Of course. But I ignore Way's characterisation. So that sums up Deadpool... the real Deadpool.

See it sorta annoyed me when after Uncanny X-Force 7 people were like "Wow! Deadpool being written with depth!" like it has never been done before and that it was out of the norm. No, that is how Deadpool should be written. That is the real Deadpool. All this other nonsense is just Deadpool in name only, as far as i'm concerned.

I checked out the Deadpool Annual, and you can just see the damage Way has done to the character. He didn't even write that book, but it has his stink all over it. I really hope future writers completely ignore everything Way has done.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #39
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
Of course. But I ignore Way's characterisation. So that sums up Deadpool... the real Deadpool.

See it sorta annoyed me when after Uncanny X-Force 7 people were like "Wow! Deadpool being written with depth!" like it has never been done before and that it was out of the norm. No, that is how Deadpool should be written. That is the real Deadpool. All this other nonsense is just Deadpool in name only, as far as i'm concerned.

I checked out the Deadpool Annual, and you can just see the damage Way has done to the character. He didn't even write that book, but it has his stink all over it. I really hope future writers completely ignore everything Way has done.
It's why I hope that either Rick Remender or Dwayne Swierczynski take over the character. They write Deadpool with the depth that is needed for the character.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #40
Shockdingo

One thing that started as a pet peeve but grew into a bigger annoyance is the white box. The fact that he now says "we" like he's a symbiote wearer bothers me a lot. He's not multiple people, he doesn't have MPD, he doesn't need a straightman to play off of when by himself. Crap in a hat man. :/

Old 05-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #41
The Morningstar
Banned User

It's because Way can't think up interesting dialogue like Kelly or Simone or Nicieza could.

Anyway, I want David Lapham on the main series. Deadpool MAX is just amazing. One of the best comic book series i've ever read. Issues 3 and 7 in particular, are just... amazing pieces of work.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #42
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Live, thread, LIVE!

Anywho, what does everything think of Wade's handsome face?

Lunar_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #43
KevanG
Brony

You mean when he was Tom Cru- I mean Thom Cruze?

#saveWontkinsMom
KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #44
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

No. In the recent issues, Pool has been injected with a serum that cured him. He is now mortal and his face has returned to it's pre-cancer look.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #45
venom892
Got Lucky

I really hate Daniel Way. That is all.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #46
def28
Side-Kick

So did the serum actually cure his Cancer or just the healing factor? I didnt catch on to that part.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #47
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
So did the serum actually cure his Cancer or just the healing factor? I didnt catch on to that part.
cured him of his cancer and healing factor is now radiated.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #48
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Wolf View Post
cured him of his cancer and healing factor is now radiated.
Gotcha, Did they did explain the Cancer curing in the comic? I might have missed an issue. Seems like they just said he goes back to normal without mentioning the cancer thing.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #49
BillPardy
Side-Kick

Didn't Wade get over his self consciousness years ago?

BillPardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #50
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Gotcha, Did they did explain the Cancer curing in the comic? I might have missed an issue. Seems like they just said he goes back to normal without mentioning the cancer thing.
A cure was made. Not sure who created it, I got to look back on issues. But Wade wanted it just to be normal so he could die.

Saw no thread for Deadpool. Thought I'd start one.

Anyone reading Deadpool kills the marvel universe?

I lol'd