The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 03-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #576
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Default Re: Official Fans of Reilly Thread - Part 1

And this forum is for people with opinions on any topic. My opinion is that it was awful storyline and a slap in the face to long time Spider-Man fans. I would say the same exact thing to any fan that was introduced to the character during OMD. If you can't handle that then maybe you are the one that should think about leaving.

Oh and let's be reminded that there is this little function around here called the sarcasm smiley. It helps to let the sensitive types around here know that it's not that serious and I made use of it, so try and relax and let the mods do the policing.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #577
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

I liked Ben Reilly... did not like the Clone Saga... where do I belong???

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #578
Panther10
Side-Kick

A comic book store apparently. Go pick up some trade paperbacks you'll thank me for it later.

Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #579
THUNDERSTRIKE
A SWINEFELD KIND OF HOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
And this forum is for people with opinions on any topic. My opinion is that it was awful storyline and a slap in the face to long time Spider-Man fans. I would say the same exact thing to any fan that was introduced to the character during OMD. If you can't handle that then maybe you are the one that should think about leaving.

Oh and let's be reminded that there is this little function around here called the sarcasm smiley. It helps to let the sensitive types around here know that it's not that serious and I made use of it, so try and relax and let the mods do the policing.

Always being offensive and ON the offensive, and always defiant, as well...
just an absolutely rude and crude dude in every way possible...
likin' it and not givin' a **** what anyone thinks.

THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #580
KaineMorrison

Go start a "I hate the 90's Clone Saga" Thread.
I guarantee you will not see any of us who like the Clone Saga or Ben Reilly posting in there.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #581
Panther10
Side-Kick

Exactly.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #582
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineMorrison View Post
Go start a "I hate the 90's Clone Saga" Thread.
I guarantee you will not see any of us who like the Clone Saga or Ben Reilly posting in there.
The way some people are acting, somehow I don't believe that for a second.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #583
Panther10
Side-Kick

Okay then put your money where your mouth is and prove it. Just remember that this one thread went through at least 3 iterations and has had an excess of 100 pages per thread. So go ahead and put your little anti clone saga thread out there and we'll see if you have just as much staying power.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #584
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

And when that does happen do you think I should put the accomplishment on my resume?

Lmfao

Old 03-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #585
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Wait a second......is this Terry Kavanagh?

Old 03-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #586
Panther10
Side-Kick

No. I'm not terry Kavanagh or any other writer or artist for that matter. And I don't care what you do with the the accomplishments of your anti-clone thread. just as long as you stop acting like a jackass here and leave us alone. Go look for your validation elsewhere if you are such an authority on the subject.

Last edited by Panther10; 03-15-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #587
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I never claimed to be an authority on anything. You're being all butthurt because you don't agree with MY opinion. Get over it.

I'm pretty much done with this conversation anyway because it's gone from laughable to pathetic in a matter of minutes. So go ahead and type your little response, so you can get the last word in and feel like you've won something here.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #588
KaineMorrison

It says right in the Title of the Thread:
FANS OF REILLY
If you're not posting as a fan, you shouldn't be in the Thread insulting those of us that are, or insulting the Character or Storyline...
You've got many many other Threads to do so in.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #589
Panther10
Side-Kick

I know right? So what...me defending the character I like is laughable and pathetic, but when you stumble in here and call the storyline I like dog***** is acceptable? What kind of thinking is that? What's next? Do you plan on walking into a restaurant and badmouth the owner because he had the audacity to serve food there? Saying nice things about the clone saga is what we do in this thread? Period. If you insist on being a sarcastic little twit and call it an opinion then you should really question which one of us is acting pathetic.

And by the way I've looked at your post history and it looks like this behavior of yours is actually a common theme. You wander into a thread, bad mouth another groups interest and take your leave to spread your "wisdom? elsewhere. You know what the proper name for people like that is? They're called "Know-it-alls". And I'm afraid you've got a bad case of that. So you have two choices: 1. Check your ego and attitude at the door and treat everyone else here with respect. 2. Keep criticizing other peoples hobbies and see how far it gets you. Which do you think is the better choice?

Old 03-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #590
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

At no point did I insult any poster here or the character. I said I didn't like the storyline and described it in a way that is pretty tame considering how far you can go about describing things on the internet.

If you feel like I'm a serial troublemaker (which is a joke because I know what I write here and how I conduct myself) then feel free and report me to one of the mods and let them decide.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #591
Panther10
Side-Kick

One more thing I have to say before you leave us. You do know that the clone saga actually is a "Classic" spidey story right? The original clone saga was published way back in 1974. That's about as classic as spidey stories get. If it weren't for the original gwen stacy clone, the fight between the two spidey clones in Shea Stadium we wouldn't even have a ben reilly thread to begin with. So unless you're not a fan of the Gerry Conway/Ross Andru stories from the 70's and you only read the Lee/Ditko stuff I'm afraid the Clone saga is a classic story. In fact its downright vintage. It is literally 40 years old.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #592
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther10 View Post
One more thing I have to say before you leave us. You do know that the clone saga actually is a "Classic" spidey story right? The original clone saga was published way back in 1974. That's about as classic as spidey stories get. If it weren't for the original gwen stacy clone, the fight between the two spidey clones in Shea Stadium we wouldn't even have a ben reilly thread to begin with. So unless you're not a fan of the Gerry Conway/Ross Andru stories from the 70's and you only read the Lee/Ditko stuff I'm afraid the Clone saga is a classic story. In fact its downright vintage. It is literally 40 years old.
Come on... now you're just being obtuse... you know DAMN well the the "piece of poop" story line that he's referring to is the Clone Saga from the 90's... which is NOT a classic storyline...

Ir's a concept that had interesting beginnings that quickly got out of hand once marketing told the writers to make it last longer... Ben Reilly was a fun character... but that storyline sucked the life out of any reader that tried to follow it for more than two years... hence, why the book's sales plummeted at the end, and took a long time to recover.

The 70's story was all kinds of awesome because it started with little sub-plots and then culminated in the last few issues building up towards ASM #149... and then it was done. This is a Classic storyline...

What happened in the 90's was not.

It's idiotic that I have to explain this... christ...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #593
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther10 View Post
Yes I am aware of the original Clone Saga. I've been reading Spider-Man comics since 84 and have read plenty of back issues.

And like I said earlier, it's my opinion to like and dislike whatever stories I want. Saying that not liking one story automatically makes me not a fan of another one or certain creators is completely inane. You have no right to dictate other people's tastes......just like you have no right to tell people where they can and can not post or assume that they will automatically be jettisoned because you don't agree with them.

I would not be so brazen if I were you. You will find yourself being disappointed.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #594
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
Come on... now you're just being obtuse... you know DAMN well the the "piece of poop" story line that he's referring to is the Clone Saga from the 90's... which is NOT a classic storyline...

Ir's a concept that had interesting beginnings that quickly got out of hand once marketing told the writers to make it last longer... Ben Reilly was a fun character... but that storyline sucked the life out of any reader that tried to follow it for more than two years... hence, why the book's sales plummeted at the end, and took a long time to recover.

The 70's story was all kinds of awesome because it started with little sub-plots and then culminated in the last few issues building up towards ASM #149... and then it was done. This is a Classic storyline...

What happened in the 90's was not.

It's idiotic that I have to explain this... christ...

He doesn't know, just like he has no clue how long you have been a Spidey-fan like everyone else does when he recommended you pick up the story in trades.

The 90's story may have had interesting beginnings to some but behind the scenes Ron Perelman was basically running a dictatorship at Marvel that made Jim Shooter look like the Prime Minister of Switzerland. It boiled down to your comics must sell high or find another job. The creative team were forced to go big or go home and replicate what was done in Superman and Batman at the time.

Was Ben Reilly a bad character.....no. Want to know why...? (The question not directed at you, TMoB, because I know you know why) Because in the 6-7 issues Dan Jurgens had control of him, he made him a great character, something the writers before him failed to accomplish. That just goes to prove the common saying that "there are no bad characters, only bad writers."

And yes it is sad that you have to explain to people that not everyone thinks like them. Their parents should have taught them that by this point.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #595
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

why bother coming in to a fans of Ben Reilly thread in the first place? get a life sunshine

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

spidey-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #596
THUNDERSTRIKE
A SWINEFELD KIND OF HOG

the Clone Saga from the 90's has NEVER been considered a classic storyline now or back when the storylines first emerged... the only way that it's considered a classic is in it being a classic mess... I think the problem is with today's younger or perhaps newer readers is that they IMAGINE that because it was such a lengthy storyline with characters that they like that it MUST be considered a classic, when in reality, it's NOT... the entire storyline had promise at the start but it went so haywire wrong after a few short months and just became so convoluted, complex, cluttered and confusing, not only in the context of the various storylines that weeaved in and out of some many titles, but also in the screwed-up releasing of the titles... some of the story just made no sense at times, as the titles sometimes were incorrectly released and out of proper order, if memory serves me right... even back then, as the titles were all coming out, it was evident to the readers and to Marvel's PTB, that the storyline had just grown too big and unmanageable for them to control and they just played it all by ear and made s**t up as they went along... even some of the people involved with the Saga years ago, pointed out the flaws and how it all spiraled out of their control in an online 35 part discussion of the Clone Saga... take some time, sit your ass down and give it a read... and I stand by my agreeing with runaway in that it WAS an awful storyline and a slap in the face to long-time Spider-Man readers...

http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/

Always being offensive and ON the offensive, and always defiant, as well...
just an absolutely rude and crude dude in every way possible...
likin' it and not givin' a **** what anyone thinks.

Last edited by THUNDERSTRIKE; 03-16-2014 at 11:41 AM.
THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #597
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
why bother coming in to a fans of Ben Reilly thread in the first place? get a life sunshine
Because I can post where I want to. Good lord, here's another one that thinks they run this place. This is an online community. Not a private club. If you want to decide on who can post where and about what then I suggest you go start your own website that requires registration.

And if you took the time to READ anything you would have seen this:

Quote:
Was Ben Reilly a bad character.....no. Want to know why...? (The question not directed at you, TMoB, because I know you know why) Because in the 6-7 issues Dan Jurgens had control of him, he made him a great character, something the writers before him failed to accomplish. That just goes to prove the common saying that "there are no bad characters, only bad writers.
So I guess that makes me officially a fan of Ben Reilly. And also that I've consciously bought any and all stories that he was in or referenced to in the past, present and possible future. Okay sunshine?

Old 03-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #598
Panther10
Side-Kick

From what I understand Dan Jurgens hated working on the Sensational Spidey titles at the time because he didn't like focusing on Ben Reilly at all. He wanted to kill off Ben Reilly from the start and reestablish peter as the one true spidey, but when Marvel never let him have his way he packed his bags and left. Jurgens didn't come back to Marvel until he began working on Captain America in 1998.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #599
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Because I can post where I want to. Good lord, here's another one that thinks they run this place. This is an online community. Not a private club. If you want to decide on who can post where and about what then I suggest you go start your own website that requires registration.

And if you took the time to READ anything you would have seen this:

So I guess that makes me officially a fan of Ben Reilly. And also that I've consciously bought any and all stories that he was in or referenced to in the past, present and possible future. Okay sunshine?
no mate, I'm just curious as to why you felt the need to enter a thread and intentionally try to piss people off, never said you couldn't so perhaps it is you who should start to READ properly.... like I said get a life

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

spidey-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #600
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
no mate, I'm just curious as to why you felt the need to enter a thread and intentionally try to piss people off, never said you couldn't so perhaps it is you who should start to READ properly.... like I said get a life
This is not my first time here, I've posted in this thread a ton of times before. Whatever, I'm so bored of this. This whole notion of trying to associate having a difference of opinion to trolling is straight up childish. So I didn't like the Clone Saga overall.....so f-ing what? Get over it already.

Bottom line, I will post here when I feel like it. Feel free to ignore me. And if you can't muster the self control to not click the reply button then use the one for ignoring. What else can I tell you....?