The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 01-31-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 01-31-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
Decepticonus
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Not at all. My distaste for the Raimi movies, especially the entirely overrated S-M2 with the even more overrated train action scene is recorded in plenty past posts on the Hype.
OK fair enough, it's just usually I am the odd who LOVES TASM series. I used to like the Raimi one's but got really tired of the cast, especially MJ, the back-n-forth Ross/Rachel relationship and just didn't age well imo.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Going off of the previous thread, I agree that Batman & Robin is better than TASM2 because B&R is extremely enjoyable. The goofiness and over-the-top set design are a joy to watch through "so bad it's good" lenses. TASM2 just kind of happens.

That's why I don't think B&R is the worst comic book movie ever. A movie like Elektra is a stronger contender for that spot because that movie almost bored me to death.

Who put Bella in the wych elm? Hans Van Houten did.
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Old 01-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Batman & Robin is a really bad movie. But they are several other CBMs I would consider to be even worse. As has been said, I can watch B&R and be entertained at how campy and silly it all is, especially any time Arnold is on screen. He's easily my favorite part of the film.

CBMs like Catwoman, Dragonball Evolution, any of the Fantastic Four films, the Ghost Rider movies, The Spirit, Spawn, Steel, Elektra, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, etc. are worse.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post

CBMs like Catwoman, Dragonball Evolution, any of the Fantastic Four films, the Ghost Rider movies, The Spirit, Spawn, Steel, Elektra, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, etc. are worse.
Spawn sucks to begin with, so it's no wonder the movie is bad the animated series is even worse...

Old 01-31-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
Going off of the previous thread, I agree that Batman & Robin is better than TASM2 because B&R is extremely enjoyable. The goofiness and over-the-top set design are a joy to watch through "so bad it's good" lenses. TASM2 just kind of happens.

That's why I don't think B&R is the worst comic book movie ever. A movie like Elektra is a stronger contender for that spot because that movie almost bored me to death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Batman & Robin is a really bad movie. But they are several other CBMs I would consider to be even worse. As has been said, I can watch B&R and be entertained at how campy and silly it all is, especially any time Arnold is on screen. He's easily my favorite part of the film.

I third this

- The Joker
Old 01-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Victarion
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshdarn Batman View Post
Spawn sucks to begin with, so it's no wonder the movie is bad the animated series is even worse...
To be fair, Spawn's fine if you're say, in like third of fourth grade. I know from experience.

I find BF and B&R more entertaining than the BTAS-inspired Batman movies. And like Kahran, you have things far worse like Steel, TASM2.

#Imwither#NeverDrumpf
Old 01-31-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
To be fair, Spawn's fine if you're say, in like third of fourth grade. I know from experience.

I find BF and B&R more entertaining than the BTAS-inspired Batman movies. And like Kahran, you have things far worse like Steel, TASM2.
I loved Spawn when I was 11 years old. I flipped through one of the comics now as an adult...horrible stuff I wonder why my mother let me read it.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #10
Victarion
Boss

The art was pretty. That's what got me into it back then. I remember watching the HBO cartoon more than reading the comics though. Specifically - someone sent a buffed half-human half-cyborg to kill Spawn. Later, a limbo rolls up, the guy that hired the human/cyborg opens the door: bunch of blood flows out from the backseat. One of the human/cyborg's eyes rolled out with it. No idea why I remembered that one.

#Imwither#NeverDrumpf
Old 01-31-2016, 01:59 PM   #11
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
The art was pretty. That's what got me into it back then. I remember watching the HBO cartoon more than reading the comics though. Specifically - someone sent a buffed half-human half-cyborg to kill Spawn. Later, a limbo rolls up, the guy that hired the human/cyborg opens the door: bunch of blood flows out from the backseat. One of the human/cyborg's eyes rolled out with it. No idea why I remembered that one.
That's actually what my mother said when she flipped through it to check the content: "nice drawings!"

That made me laugh. I remember that the show had graphic violence, sex and nudity every ten minutes or something. I don't think Spawn convinced the "animation is for kids" crowd with its content.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #12
Doctor Jones
No One

B&R I can laugh at and enjoy ironically. There is nothing ironic to like about ASM2. I watched it for the first time in a year with a friend who also hates it. It's like going to an AA meeting where you're with someone who understands your pain and you need to experience it with them to get through it, get it out of your system and never watch it again. People legitimately think either of those cynical, joyless cash grabs are actually better than the first two Raimi films.

I've been in a twelve step program for those ASM films for the past four years. Not enough ****ing steps I say.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #13
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

I wanted to like Amazing Spider-Man 2, but it made me depressed for some reason. It's soulless, like MoS.

The first Amazing Spider-Man is "okay". The worst thing is that we must see the boring (and inferior compared to Raimi's) origin story all over again...everyone knows how Spider-Man became Spider-Man.

It's just not the same as the ones by Raimi.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:25 PM   #14
Doctor Jones
No One

I can't believe I'm agreeing with you.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:28 PM   #15
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
I can't believe I'm agreeing with you.
It's alright, son. It can happen to anyone

Old 01-31-2016, 02:41 PM   #16
Victarion
Boss

My take on heroes in film (more superheroes than anything):

They'll betray you in the end. Whether it be by them standing on principle rather than getting work done, or by making themselves aloof to the concerns of the people they protect. It doesn't make them bad characters, it makes them very interesting, but I think that worshiping them to the point that you rob them of their humanity is the endpoint of heroism.

#Imwither#NeverDrumpf
Old 01-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #17
Decepticonus
Banned User

Quote:
B&R I can laugh at and enjoy ironically. There is nothing ironic to like about ASM2. I watched it for the first time in a year with a friend who also hates it. It's like going to an AA meeting where you're with someone who understands your pain and you need to experience it with them to get through it, get it out of your system and never watch it again. People legitimately think either of those cynical, joyless cash grabs are actually better than the first two Raimi films.

I've been in a twelve step program for those ASM films for the past four years. Not enough ****ing steps I say.
No ****, every movie is a cash grab. They are not made for altruistic reasons, sorry. Avengers - cash grab. TDK - cash grab. They do not care if it sits well with fans, critics and audiences. Are any of the Transformers movies doing that? Nope, but it makes tons of money. Dredd sat well with them but made no money, hence your sequel will never happen. People need to understand Hollywood is a business and not charity looking out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshdarn Batman View Post
I wanted to like Amazing Spider-Man 2, but it made me depressed for some reason. It's soulless, like MoS.

The first Amazing Spider-Man is "okay". The worst thing is that we must see the boring (and inferior compared to Raimi's) origin story all over again...everyone knows how Spider-Man became Spider-Man.

It's just not the same as the ones by Raimi.
No ****, just like Winter Soldier is nothing like 1990 Captain America.

God I hate idiotic statements like these. I enjoy TASM series more than Raimi's and am entitled to. Though I do like Raimi's other work. Those movies feel dated to me, they remind of this idealistic Donner-verse that no longer exists and is hard to connect with for me.

I agree on B&R. I find the biggest piece of **** Batman related to be Returns. Understanding the history & context of Batman & Robin as where Forever seemed to work let's amp it up and that will make more money sounds logical. In addition, it was to sell toys. Did you expect anything great from what is essentially a 90 minute toy commercial? I certainly hope not. All in all, I can sit through it unlike Returns.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #18
Victarion
Boss

Tell us more about your dislike of BR?

#Imwither#NeverDrumpf
Old 01-31-2016, 03:59 PM   #19
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticonus View Post

God I hate idiotic statements like these. I enjoy TASM series more than Raimi's and am entitled to. Though I do like Raimi's other work. Those movies feel dated to me, they remind of this idealistic Donner-verse that no longer exists and is hard to connect with for me.
Idiotic? Of course you're entitled to enjoy The Amazing Spider-Man more...I never said otherwise, did I?

Old 01-31-2016, 04:01 PM   #20
Decepticonus
Banned User

Quote:
I'd much rather not, thinking about it makes me angry.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #21
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Just head over to the official Batman Returns thread. I'm also a Batman Returns "hater". The movie makes no sense at all.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:19 PM   #22
Doctor Jones
No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticonus View Post
No ****, every movie is a cash grab. They are not made for altruistic reasons, sorry. Avengers - cash grab. TDK - cash grab. They do not care if it sits well with fans, critics and audiences. Are any of the Transformers movies doing that? Nope, but it makes tons of money. Dredd sat well with them but made no money, hence your sequel will never happen. People need to understand Hollywood is a business and not charity looking out for you.
I expected something like this. Of course, Hollywood is no charity, it is a business. But there's a difference between making something for money and making something for the sake of just to keep the rights in a disrespectful amount of time, and making the most cynical situation out of it where no love or care was put into it to think they know how to market it to an audience and tell them how they think they want it, worst of all. Oh, and Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach running the show this time. That's a big difference too. It's classic studio nature where the worst basic approach is executed. And there were many in this case. Not one was right to make them successful or to catch on like the Raimi films did. It's "The One Hundred Million Dollar Mistake. " These are the things that separate successful and good movies from one another. The ASM films are neither. See the reception to the movies. The audience saw right through it.

Or I'm wrong and everyone is excited for The Amazing Spider-Man 3 and its spin offs. Oh wait.

Last edited by Doctor Jones; 01-31-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:50 PM   #23
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

Quote:

SM3 is better, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:12 PM   #24
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
SM3 is better, as well.
I whole-heartedly agree.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:29 PM   #25
CJ
Gotta Go Fast!

Having been a big fan of the Raimi films, I was against the idea of a reboot. Then one day I caught ASM2 on Starz and I loved it. The special effects were.. amazing, much better than the Raimi films. And the final battle scenes were a blast. I was disappointed to hear they cancelled the third one. (Still prefer Maguire over Garfield though..) It may not be the best CBM ever made, but comparing ASM2 to that wet turd Batman & Robin is just wrong.

Last edited by CJ; 01-31-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Closed Thread