The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Who should compose it?
John Williams 4 23.53%
Howard Shore 2 11.76%
Harry Gregson-Williams 1 5.88%
Hans Zimmer 2 11.76%
James Newton Howard 2 11.76%
other (please state) 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #26
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naite22 View Post
****ing A-wrong!... Regarding the main theme, this should NOT be new times!
Why not specifically regarding the Williams thnheme and not any other aspect of the Donner franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naite22 View Post
The original superman theme had better be in there! It even beats the star wars theme! Dont they dare switch it.
It's a reboot. Reeve won't be there - as perfect as he was - neither will Williams's theme.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 04:45 AM   #27
Mike_D202
Green Lantern's roommate
 
Mike_D202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 6,668
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Saying Christopher Reeve belongs to the William's theme is like saying Sean Connery belongs to the 007 theme.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom
So did I miss any meltdowns today?

I imagine there was more of "MoS was a disappointment," with maybe a splash of "DC is dragging their feet." Maybe even "DC is just making a cash grab."
Mike_D202 is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #28
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_D202 View Post
Saying Christopher Reeve belongs to the William's theme is like saying Sean Connery belongs to the 007 theme.
Saying Christopher Reeve belongs to the William's theme is just stupid. The actor or the character can't belong to a them.

Christopher Reeve AND the Williams theme belong to the franchise started by Donner.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #29
Rijowhite
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 34
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Think it's John Powell for me, his soundtrack to Hancock was fantastic...and something similar would easily work with Superman. Surely bits of the old theme will return...

Rijowhite is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 05:43 AM   #30
Micah12345
Side-Kick
 
Micah12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LAS VEGAS NEVADA
Posts: 2,827
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

I'd be disappointed if they used the williams theme. This is a new franchise, and it needs to stand on its own legs.

__________________
---------------------------
Micah12345 is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #31
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,397
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

I believe they should use Williams' theme...it says Superman for crying out loud. And just because they reboot a franchise doesn't mean they can't use a popular theme...they rebooted Bond and they kept the same thing. Rewriting Bond would be just as blasphemous as rewriting Superman. I could deal with a reworking, along the lines of what John Ottman did for Superman Returns...but a whole new theme? NO THANKS!

Kal-El.9859 is online now  
Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #32
moviedoors
Side-Kick
 
moviedoors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas City, TX
Posts: 2,335
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

If the point is a fresh new start, then go the distance. New actors, new continuity, and a new score. Don't half ass it.


Last edited by moviedoors; 02-04-2011 at 12:39 PM.
moviedoors is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #33
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah12345 View Post
I'd be disappointed if they used the williams theme. This is a new franchise, and it needs to stand on its own legs.
agreed, its time for Superman to move on and Snyders "it has nothing to do with the previous movies" comment says it all. There won't be the Williams theme.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #34
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Thumbs up Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
If the point is a fresh new start, the go the distance. New actors, new continuity, and new score. Don't half ass it.

Dont worry, they wont.

Rust is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #35
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 68,345
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Michael Giacchino.

__________________
Oh, what's that, America? You love Chris Pratt? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see the overnight ratings for this upcoming season of Parks and Recreation for me to determine how full of **** you are about that.

Sawyer is online now  
Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #36
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,397
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Ok, so maybe they won't use the Williams theme. But to sit around here and say for fact they won't use it is stupid, you'll only look and feel stupid if they do use it...

Kal-El.9859 is online now  
Old 02-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #37
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,397
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

So this just hit me...if they don't use the Williams theme I have it on my iPhone...plug in my headset, turn on the music...I'm good to go!

Kal-El.9859 is online now  
Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #38
Elevator Man
Side-Kick
 
Elevator Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,933
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

They can ignore the Williams theme and write a new theme all they want, but they will never surpass what Williams wrote for Supes. I can't see it happening. If they ignore it they're only doing it for the sake of it. Plus if they go with a new theme it probably won't stand the test of time like the way Williams' does and will continue to.

BTW, I don't care if they ignore the theme. A British actor is playing Supes now ( which I already wasn't too happy about along with Snyder directing) so Williams' theme probably wouldn't work anyways.

Elevator Man is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #39
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
They can ignore the Williams theme and write a new theme all they want, but they will never surpass what Williams wrote for Supes.
Nor they have to surpass it to start with.

I don't see any actor connecting to the role like Christopher Reeve did. Nevertheless I'm quite interested in seeing a different take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
If they ignore it they're only doing it for the sake of it.
And fopr a little concept called reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Plus if they go with a new theme it probably won't stand the test of time like the way Williams' does and will continue to.
Like Nolan movies' Bat-theme won't stand the test of time like the Elfman bat-theme has. But it fit the new version more and that's the main thing here, not this mandatory contest for mopst memorable score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
BTW, I don't care if they ignore the theme. A British actor is playing Supes now ( which I already wasn't too happy about along with Snyder directing) so Williams' theme probably wouldn't work anyways.
Snyder and Cavill being good or bad is irrelevant to the fact that this is a new version on the character. That alone asks for a new theme.

Keeping the Willims's theme is just cheap. Sure it's a bulletproof thing because we all already know it's popular and accepted.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #40
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick
 
Stephen K. Hone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,963
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan93 View Post
The original theme is gone. There is going to be a completely new theme, so just deal with it!


I'm not saying you are wrong, but to be that certain you must have inside info?? Do tell us, what else you know?

Stephen K. Hone is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #41
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick
 
Stephen K. Hone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,963
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
People who think they'll use ANYTHING from Williams' score probably also wanted Routh back as well.

What is it about reboot you dont understand?

It'll be a new score, OF COURSE!

Sorry, but this illogical stubborness just piss me off.


They likely won't use it, but to say it is illogical is actually illogical as well. WB's could have an edict that ALL Superman movies will use the theme in some fashion regardless of Actor's Producer's and Director. You know, how they wouldn't do a Bond film without the Monty Norman theme. Not saying they'll use it however, but it isn't illogical. Just somewhat unlikely. Btw. this movie is from Legendary pictures....Oh my god they did SR. We need them out of this!!!

Stephen K. Hone is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #42
Elevator Man
Side-Kick
 
Elevator Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,933
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
They likely won't use it, but to say it is illogical is actually illogical as well. WB's could have an edict that ALL Superman movies will use the theme in some fashion regardless of Actor's Producer's and Director. You know, how they wouldn't do a Bond film without the Monty Norman theme. Not saying they'll use it however, but it isn't illogical. Just somewhat unlikely. Btw. this movie is from Legendary pictures....Oh my god they did SR. We need them out of this!!!
Yeah you're right we don't need LP involved in this at all. Afterall not only were they involved in SR but BB, TDK, Watchmen, and the upcoming TDKR. So yeah this reboot will do fine without their help.

Elevator Man is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #43
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider
 
Doctor Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On location with Spielberg
Posts: 31,081
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Michael Giacchino.
Him for this, Cap, or Spidey. Doesn't matter. The man needs to score a comic book film at some point.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by socool View Post
If this was directed at me, I don't come here just to bad mouth the movie, I come here to discuss any new and relevant news. The new and relevant news just so happened to be ****.
Doctor Jones is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #44
mclay18
Sexed-up archery
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,030
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
Btw. this movie is from Legendary pictures....Oh my god they did SR. We need them out of this!!!
You're kidding, right? Legendary Pictures is one of WB's primary co-financers -- and they're contractually obligated to do a certain number of films under WB's slate. They've worked with Nolan and Snyder before too.

__________________
Think McFly Think


"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #45
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
You're kidding, right? Legendary Pictures is one of WB's primary co-financers -- and they're contractually obligated to do a certain number of films under WB's slate. They've worked with Nolan and Snyder before too.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #46
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick
 
Stephen K. Hone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,963
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Yeah you're right we don't need LP involved in this at all. Afterall not only were they involved in SR but BB, TDK, Watchmen, and the upcoming TDKR. So yeah this reboot will do fine without their help.
My comment about Legendary was supposed to be taken somewhat facetiously and with a hint of irony. (you did get that right?) Legendary's involvement shows that not Everything connected with a previous incarnation of Superman on the big screen has been given the boot. I don't actually have a problem with them.

I really don't have an issue of them using or not using Williams Superman theme. Hopefully though, just the fact that SR used it, isn't their rationale for not using it because it's somehow percieved as baggage. Just because SR was mediocre isn't a good enough reason imo. Legendary/WB's/Snyder just wanting a "100%" reboot IS a good enough reason. I love Elfman's Batman 89 theme, but if Nolan hadn't payed someone to create a new theme we wouldn't have two awesome Batman themes.


Next time i'll add a little winking smiley!


Last edited by Stephen K. Hone; 02-06-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Stephen K. Hone is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #47
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick
 
Stephen K. Hone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,963
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
You're kidding, right? Legendary Pictures is one of WB's primary co-financers -- and they're contractually obligated to do a certain number of films under WB's slate. They've worked with Nolan and Snyder before too.
See my previous post.

Stephen K. Hone is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #48
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 68,345
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Him for this, Cap, or Spidey. Doesn't matter. The man needs to score a comic book film at some point.
Dont forget Avengers.

__________________
Oh, what's that, America? You love Chris Pratt? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see the overnight ratings for this upcoming season of Parks and Recreation for me to determine how full of **** you are about that.

Sawyer is online now  
Old 02-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #49
Elevator Man
Side-Kick
 
Elevator Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,933
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
My comment about Legendary was supposed to be taken somewhat facetiously and with a hint of irony. (you did get that right?) Legendary's involvement shows that not Everything connected with a previous incarnation of Superman on the big screen has been given the boot. I don't actually have a problem with them.

I really don't have an issue of them using or not using Williams Superman theme. Hopefully though, just the fact that SR used it, isn't their rationale for not using it because it's somehow percieved as baggage. Just because SR was mediocre isn't a good enough reason imo. Legendary/WB's/Snyder just wanting a "100%" reboot IS a good enough reason. I love Elfman's Batman 89 theme, but if Nolan hadn't payed someone to create a new theme we wouldn't have two awesome Batman themes.


Next time i'll add a little winking smiley!
My mistake.

Oh and Elfman's, Walker's, and Goldenthal's Batman themes were awesome. Zimmer's and Howard's not so much. Z & H's Batman scores were lazy, generic, and something you'd expect to hear to a trailer to the newest action movie coming in theaters. So yeah they ignored Elfman's Batman theme for the price of giving us a mediocre one.

Elevator Man is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #50
The Shield
It's really Happening!
 
The Shield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,913
Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Just wanted to add my own couple'o Lincolns...

I am the Williams theme fan who has the soundtrack in his music player and will listen to it from time to time because it is just so masterfully arranged. Itís beautiful.... Even as a child (and Iím talkn elementary) I would watch the movie and just sit there to listen while the credits rolled. Then rewind it and play the credits again lol. (Good times)

However, having said that... It is time for a New One! Not one that is sampled from the Williams theme. A totally start from scratch-pen to paper-fresh theme. Its time.

The Shield is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.