The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Who should compose it?
John Williams 4 23.53%
Howard Shore 2 11.76%
Harry Gregson-Williams 1 5.88%
Hans Zimmer 2 11.76%
James Newton Howard 2 11.76%
other (please state) 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #26
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naite22 View Post
****ing A-wrong!... Regarding the main theme, this should NOT be new times!
Why not specifically regarding the Williams thnheme and not any other aspect of the Donner franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naite22 View Post
The original superman theme had better be in there! It even beats the star wars theme! Dont they dare switch it.
It's a reboot. Reeve won't be there - as perfect as he was - neither will Williams's theme.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:45 AM   #27
Mike_D202
Green Lantern's roommate

Saying Christopher Reeve belongs to the William's theme is like saying Sean Connery belongs to the 007 theme.

I imagine there was more of "MoS was a disappointment," with maybe a splash of "DC is dragging their feet." Maybe even "DC is just making a cash grab."
Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #28
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_D202 View Post
Saying Christopher Reeve belongs to the William's theme is like saying Sean Connery belongs to the 007 theme.
Saying Christopher Reeve belongs to the William's theme is just stupid. The actor or the character can't belong to a them.

Christopher Reeve AND the Williams theme belong to the franchise started by Donner.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #29
Rijowhite
Side-Kick

Think it's John Powell for me, his soundtrack to Hancock was fantastic...and something similar would easily work with Superman. Surely bits of the old theme will return...

Old 02-04-2011, 05:43 AM   #30
Micah12345
Side-Kick

I'd be disappointed if they used the williams theme. This is a new franchise, and it needs to stand on its own legs.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #31
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I believe they should use Williams' theme...it says Superman for crying out loud. And just because they reboot a franchise doesn't mean they can't use a popular theme...they rebooted Bond and they kept the same thing. Rewriting Bond would be just as blasphemous as rewriting Superman. I could deal with a reworking, along the lines of what John Ottman did for Superman Returns...but a whole new theme? NO THANKS!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #32
moviedoors
Side-Kick

If the point is a fresh new start, then go the distance. New actors, new continuity, and a new score. Don't half ass it.

Last edited by moviedoors; 02-04-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #33
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah12345 View Post
I'd be disappointed if they used the williams theme. This is a new franchise, and it needs to stand on its own legs.
agreed, its time for Superman to move on and Snyders "it has nothing to do with the previous movies" comment says it all. There won't be the Williams theme.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #34
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Thumbs up Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
If the point is a fresh new start, the go the distance. New actors, new continuity, and new score. Don't half ass it.

Dont worry, they wont.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #35
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Michael Giacchino.

Oh, what's that, America? You love Chris Pratt? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see the overnight ratings for this upcoming season of Parks and Recreation for me to determine how full of **** you are about that.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #36
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Ok, so maybe they won't use the Williams theme. But to sit around here and say for fact they won't use it is stupid, you'll only look and feel stupid if they do use it...

Old 02-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #37
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

So this just hit me...if they don't use the Williams theme I have it on my iPhone...plug in my headset, turn on the music...I'm good to go!

Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #38
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

They can ignore the Williams theme and write a new theme all they want, but they will never surpass what Williams wrote for Supes. I can't see it happening. If they ignore it they're only doing it for the sake of it. Plus if they go with a new theme it probably won't stand the test of time like the way Williams' does and will continue to.

BTW, I don't care if they ignore the theme. A British actor is playing Supes now ( which I already wasn't too happy about along with Snyder directing) so Williams' theme probably wouldn't work anyways.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #39
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
They can ignore the Williams theme and write a new theme all they want, but they will never surpass what Williams wrote for Supes.
Nor they have to surpass it to start with.

I don't see any actor connecting to the role like Christopher Reeve did. Nevertheless I'm quite interested in seeing a different take.

Quote:
If they ignore it they're only doing it for the sake of it.
And fopr a little concept called reboot.

Quote:
Plus if they go with a new theme it probably won't stand the test of time like the way Williams' does and will continue to.
Like Nolan movies' Bat-theme won't stand the test of time like the Elfman bat-theme has. But it fit the new version more and that's the main thing here, not this mandatory contest for mopst memorable score.

Quote:
BTW, I don't care if they ignore the theme. A British actor is playing Supes now ( which I already wasn't too happy about along with Snyder directing) so Williams' theme probably wouldn't work anyways.
Snyder and Cavill being good or bad is irrelevant to the fact that this is a new version on the character. That alone asks for a new theme.

Keeping the Willims's theme is just cheap. Sure it's a bulletproof thing because we all already know it's popular and accepted.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #40
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan93 View Post
The original theme is gone. There is going to be a completely new theme, so just deal with it!

I'm not saying you are wrong, but to be that certain you must have inside info?? Do tell us, what else you know?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #41
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
People who think they'll use ANYTHING from Williams' score probably also wanted Routh back as well.

What is it about reboot you dont understand?

It'll be a new score, OF COURSE!

Sorry, but this illogical stubborness just piss me off.

They likely won't use it, but to say it is illogical is actually illogical as well. WB's could have an edict that ALL Superman movies will use the theme in some fashion regardless of Actor's Producer's and Director. You know, how they wouldn't do a Bond film without the Monty Norman theme. Not saying they'll use it however, but it isn't illogical. Just somewhat unlikely. Btw. this movie is from Legendary pictures....Oh my god they did SR. We need them out of this!!!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #42
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
They likely won't use it, but to say it is illogical is actually illogical as well. WB's could have an edict that ALL Superman movies will use the theme in some fashion regardless of Actor's Producer's and Director. You know, how they wouldn't do a Bond film without the Monty Norman theme. Not saying they'll use it however, but it isn't illogical. Just somewhat unlikely. Btw. this movie is from Legendary pictures....Oh my god they did SR. We need them out of this!!!
Yeah you're right we don't need LP involved in this at all. Afterall not only were they involved in SR but BB, TDK, Watchmen, and the upcoming TDKR. So yeah this reboot will do fine without their help.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #43
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Michael Giacchino.
Him for this, Cap, or Spidey. Doesn't matter. The man needs to score a comic book film at some point.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #44
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Btw. this movie is from Legendary pictures....Oh my god they did SR. We need them out of this!!!
You're kidding, right? Legendary Pictures is one of WB's primary co-financers -- and they're contractually obligated to do a certain number of films under WB's slate. They've worked with Nolan and Snyder before too.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 02-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #45
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
You're kidding, right? Legendary Pictures is one of WB's primary co-financers -- and they're contractually obligated to do a certain number of films under WB's slate. They've worked with Nolan and Snyder before too.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #46
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah you're right we don't need LP involved in this at all. Afterall not only were they involved in SR but BB, TDK, Watchmen, and the upcoming TDKR. So yeah this reboot will do fine without their help.
My comment about Legendary was supposed to be taken somewhat facetiously and with a hint of irony. (you did get that right?) Legendary's involvement shows that not Everything connected with a previous incarnation of Superman on the big screen has been given the boot. I don't actually have a problem with them.

I really don't have an issue of them using or not using Williams Superman theme. Hopefully though, just the fact that SR used it, isn't their rationale for not using it because it's somehow percieved as baggage. Just because SR was mediocre isn't a good enough reason imo. Legendary/WB's/Snyder just wanting a "100%" reboot IS a good enough reason. I love Elfman's Batman 89 theme, but if Nolan hadn't payed someone to create a new theme we wouldn't have two awesome Batman themes.

Next time i'll add a little winking smiley!

Last edited by Stephen K. Hone; 02-06-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #47
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
See my previous post.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #48
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Him for this, Cap, or Spidey. Doesn't matter. The man needs to score a comic book film at some point.
Dont forget Avengers.

Oh, what's that, America? You love Chris Pratt? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see the overnight ratings for this upcoming season of Parks and Recreation for me to determine how full of **** you are about that.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #49
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
My comment about Legendary was supposed to be taken somewhat facetiously and with a hint of irony. (you did get that right?) Legendary's involvement shows that not Everything connected with a previous incarnation of Superman on the big screen has been given the boot. I don't actually have a problem with them.

I really don't have an issue of them using or not using Williams Superman theme. Hopefully though, just the fact that SR used it, isn't their rationale for not using it because it's somehow percieved as baggage. Just because SR was mediocre isn't a good enough reason imo. Legendary/WB's/Snyder just wanting a "100%" reboot IS a good enough reason. I love Elfman's Batman 89 theme, but if Nolan hadn't payed someone to create a new theme we wouldn't have two awesome Batman themes.

Next time i'll add a little winking smiley!
My mistake.

Oh and Elfman's, Walker's, and Goldenthal's Batman themes were awesome. Zimmer's and Howard's not so much. Z & H's Batman scores were lazy, generic, and something you'd expect to hear to a trailer to the newest action movie coming in theaters. So yeah they ignored Elfman's Batman theme for the price of giving us a mediocre one.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #50
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Just wanted to add my own couple'o Lincolns...

I am the Williams theme fan who has the soundtrack in his music player and will listen to it from time to time because it is just so masterfully arranged. Itís beautiful.... Even as a child (and Iím talkn elementary) I would watch the movie and just sit there to listen while the credits rolled. Then rewind it and play the credits again lol. (Good times)

However, having said that... It is time for a New One! Not one that is sampled from the Williams theme. A totally start from scratch-pen to paper-fresh theme. Its time.

Closed Thread