The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Who should compose it?
John Williams 4 23.53%
Howard Shore 2 11.76%
Harry Gregson-Williams 1 5.88%
Hans Zimmer 2 11.76%
James Newton Howard 2 11.76%
other (please state) 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #51
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
Just wanted to add my own couple'o Lincolns...

I am the Williams theme fan who has the soundtrack in his music player and will listen to it from time to time because it is just so masterfully arranged. It’s beautiful.... Even as a child (and I’m talkn elementary) I would watch the movie and just sit there to listen while the credits rolled. Then rewind it and play the credits again lol. (Good times)

However, having said that... It is time for a New One! Not one that is sampled from the Williams theme. A totally start from scratch-pen to paper-fresh theme. Its time.

Okay I've decided to jump off the fence I'm sitting on. If I was running WB's an edict would be issued whereby any WB's Superman Movie regardless of actor, Director, producer etc would be required to use the Williams theme. As someone pointed out, James Bonds theme is the ONE constant in every serious Bond incarnation with the exception of "Never say Never again".

NSNA was actually a good movie in it's time, but was made by a different production/movie company. They didn't use the theme because they weren't allowed to. I believe that if they could have used the theme, they would have, and it would have made a pretty good movie an almost great one. I believe the Bond producers now own that particular movie.

The point I'm trying to make, is that the Williams theme is inextricably linked to Superman in the GA's consciousness no matter who might portray him. Young and old alike know that theme, and who it belongs to and what it stands for. It isn't Dick Donner, CR, BR, or Bryan Singer, but S-U-P-E-R-M-A-N (and WB's of course). Hell even SV used some of it, and other Williams themes when CR was a guest star. Probably due to SR going into production WB's stopped them using it. The solution to me would be to bring in the Maestro, John Williams, and let him score the entire movie. Who knows if we are lucky he might agree.

Even though Smallville isn't strict Canon it would be nice if WB's let them use it for the two hour finale when TW finally gets to don the costume. If they don't let them, it could mean they think it should only be used for cinematic incarnations of Superman. However if they aren't going to use it for the re-boot, what do they have to lose??

Incidentally, if they are going with a whole new score I'll total support that decision, but it seems like dumping the theme is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #52
The Shield
It's really Happening!

How about Just at the end credits ;D

Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #53
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
How about Just at the end credits ;D
It's better than nothing. Heck even the new Star trek movie had the Alexander Courage theme at the end, and not only was a total re-boot it totally deviated from canon. The problem with just playing williams Superman theme at the end is the jipped feeling most people would get on hearing it...F***K!! Why didn't they play it IN the damn movie!? I'm sure someone like Zimmer can write a decent new theme, however when Superman does the shirt rip, what could HZ possibly write that would come even close to building the kind tingley excitement you get from hearing the first few bars of it just prior to the \S/ sheild being revealed. It's like the Jaws theme, once you hear those first few notes everyone knows what's coming.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #54
BULLZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
It's better than nothing. Heck even the new Star trek movie had the Alexander Courage theme at the end, and not only was a total re-boot it totally deviated from canon. The problem with just playing williams Superman theme at the end is the jipped feeling most people would get on hearing it...F***K!! Why didn't they play it IN the damn movie!? I'm sure someone like Zimmer can write a decent new theme, however when Superman does the shirt rip, what could HZ possibly write that would come even close to building the kind tingley excitement you get from hearing the first few bars of it just prior to the \S/ sheild being revealed. It's like the Jaws theme, once you hear those first few notes everyone knows what's coming.
I agree, Zimmer has some difficult decisions to make. Not difficult from our perspective, but difficult for him because he will be tempted by his ego to ignore the Williams theme.

btw I liked Zimmer's work in "The Fan" it was very slick.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #55
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

yeah, I bet if they rebooted JAWS you would NOT get a new theme

Old 02-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #56
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLZILLA View Post
I agree, Zimmer has some difficult decisions to make. Not difficult from our perspective, but difficult for him because he will be tempted by his ego to ignore the Williams theme.

btw I liked Zimmer's work in "The Fan" it was very slick.
You do know that two months ago Zimmer debunk the rumor that he was scoring this reboot right ?

Last edited by Elevator Man; 02-10-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #57
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Lmao! Iím such a hypocrite bc I'd probably be one of them. Itís true though that the music for the build up to The Reveal would be a mountainous task to transcend. I'm just looking for this movie to be Fresh and spectacular. I wan't the GA to have that Avatar reaction. I suppose I'm thinking that this new gen will role their collective eyes when they hear the Williams theme, ya konw... I want it to be cool to be a Superman fan again.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #58
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Okay I've decided to jump off the fence I'm sitting on. If I was running WB's an edict would be issued whereby any WB's Superman Movie regardless of actor, Director, producer etc would be required to use the Williams theme. As someone pointed out, James Bonds theme is the ONE constant in every serious Bond incarnation with the exception of "Never say Never again".

NSNA was actually a good movie in it's time, but was made by a different production/movie company. They didn't use the theme because they weren't allowed to. I believe that if they could have used the theme, they would have, and it would have made a pretty good movie an almost great one. I believe the Bond producers now own that particular movie.

The point I'm trying to make, is that the Williams theme is inextricably linked to Superman in the GA's consciousness no matter who might portray him.
I'm sorry, but what does your point have to do with James Bond example, which btw is maybe the only one out there?

I'm sure GA linked Batman with the Neil Hefti theme before 1989. But hey, for once I'm glad they changed it.

Quote:
Young and old alike know that theme, and who it belongs to and what it stands for. It isn't Dick Donner, CR, BR, or Bryan Singer, but S-U-P-E-R-M-A-N (and WB's of course).
Williams's theme is Donner, like it or not. The composer wasa hired and made that score specifically for that movie alone, and later on it was kept for the whole franchise.

Quote:
Hell even SV used some of it, and other Williams themes when CR was a guest star.
Since it was popular, it was the easiest and cheapest way to make the connection. Now, I get CR is Christopher Reeve? Because many people feel he's the only Superman there is, just like you do about the theme.

Quote:
Probably due to SR going into production WB's stopped them using it. The solution to me would be to bring in the Maestro, John Williams, and let him score the entire movie. Who knows if we are lucky he might agree.
And then again, what stops us from suggesting to bring Donner back to the director chair with a new vision. And believe me that was actually proposed by fans in this very site.

Quote:
Even though Smallville isn't strict Canon it would be nice if WB's let them use it for the two hour finale when TW finally gets to don the costume.
I don't watch Smallville, but didn't you say it was actually used for that show?

Quote:
If they don't let them, it could mean they think it should only be used for cinematic incarnations of Superman.
Or that SV is not Donner's franchise. Even when, as far as I undertsand, they've used elements from Donner's franchise like the FoS.

Quote:
However if they aren't going to use it for the re-boot, what do they have to lose??
People not getting this is a new version and still linking it to Donner's movies.

Even worse, the possibility of a new great score for Superman.

Quote:
Incidentally, if they are going with a whole new score I'll total support that decision, but it seems like dumping the theme is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
The baby is the new franchise.

Having the same theme for a different franchise is like naming a new son like the previous one.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #59
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

it's not a new franchise....they are simply restarting the franchise. They rebooted Bond after what's his face Brosnan ruined it, and they kept the theme AND Dame Judi Dench as M...oh ye of little faith...I'm not gonna count it out just yet

Old 02-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #60
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_Evans View Post
it's not a new franchise....they are simply restarting the franchise. They rebooted Bond after what's his face Brosnan ruined it, and they kept the theme AND Dame Judi Dench as M...oh ye of little faith...I'm not gonna count it out just yet
Well, they're not keepinmg any of the previous actors, and yes when you reboot then it's a new franchise. And again, James Bond seems to be the only exception.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #61
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

they are looking to restart in order to earn more money...not drive people away. ditching the theme would certainly piss plenty of people off and I'm sure WB knows this. If not they are stupid. And they rebooted Batman, but yet it's still part of the Batman franchise; just a newer, updated version. and by the way, the music for Batman sucks...if we get some crap like that...shoot me now. I like Zimmer but he totally dropped the ball. That music fails in every way to excite me, and when you think of a superheroes score you expect to be excited...or at least I do anyway, and not totally bored to tears

Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #62
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
they are looking to restart in order to earn more money...not drive people away. ditching the theme would certainly piss plenty of people off and I'm sure WB knows this. If not they are stupid. And they rebooted Batman, but yet it's still part of the Batman franchise; just a newer, updated version.
Exactly my man.

Quote:
and by the way, the music for Batman sucks...if we get some crap like that...shoot me now. I like Zimmer but he totally dropped the ball. That music fails in every way to excite me, and when you think of a superheroes score you expect to be excited...or at least I do anyway, and not totally bored to tears
Zimmer and Howard's score is fantastic. It doesn't matter if it has to compete ('if') in memorability (?) with Elfman score.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #63
Spoonman
Side-Kick

Quote:
And good thing they did that. If you don't give Judi Dench reboot inmunity you have pretty much failed as a film maker, for life.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #64
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Exactly my man.

Zimmer and Howard's score is fantastic. It doesn't matter if it has to compete ('if') in memorability (?) with Elfman score.
I just wasn't really impressed with his Batman music. Elfman's didn't really do much for me either, but it was dark and foreboding. Being a musician for half my life, I'm a stickler for music. It has to evoke the character, be strong and make a statement. The Williams theme makes a statement which is why I love it so much. The theme to Beetlejuice is great, Elfman did a fantastic job there. Zimmer's music in Black Hawk Down, Pearl Harbor, Tears of The Sun, and CoD: MW2 were awesome...I guess I like those so much because I'm also former Army and have a soft spot in my heart for great military movies and games! While Elfman knocked it out of the park with Dick Tracy...I LOVE that movie! The music in Sleepy Hollow was also great along with Terminator Salvation, Wolfman and Alice in Wonderland. As much as I hate to say it, Batman has yet to have a score to blow me away. I guess that's why I'm a bigger Superman fan than I am Batman.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #65
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
And good thing they did that. If you don't give Judi Dench reboot inmunity you have pretty much failed as a film maker, for life.
AMEN Spoon!!! Judi Dench is the best thing that's happened to Bond in a while. Although I do like Craig as Bond. Although I know there are plenty of people out there who think he sucks, but he has given the best performance as Bond in my eyes. Poor Brosnan is a decent actor, he just got stuck with a $h!ty set of films. He had a few good ones but for the majority he was terrible as Bond. T-Dalt was better in my opinion..but that doesn't account for much out of the millions of Bond fans...I just happen to own every EON produced Bond film to date.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #66
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just wasn't really impressed with his Batman music. Elfman's didn't really do much for me either, but it was dark and foreboding. Being a musician for half my life, I'm a stickler for music. It has to evoke the character, be strong and make a statement. The Williams theme makes a statement which is why I love it so much. The theme to Beetlejuice is great, Elfman did a fantastic job there. Zimmer's music in Black Hawk Down, Pearl Harbor, Tears of The Sun, and CoD: MW2 were awesome...I guess I like those so much because I'm also former Army and have a soft spot in my heart for great military movies and games! While Elfman knocked it out of the park with Dick Tracy...I LOVE that movie! The music in Sleepy Hollow was also great along with Terminator Salvation, Wolfman and Alice in Wonderland. As much as I hate to say it, Batman has yet to have a score to blow me away. I guess that's why I'm a bigger Superman fan than I am Batman.
Although I STRONGLY disagree with you about Elfman not so much on Zimmer and Howard. I have to ask you this. You think Batman has yet to have a score that blows you away ? What about Walkers B:TAS scores and B:MOTP score? Come on. If you don't think that captures Batman then what does ? I'm not going bring up Goldenthal's (eventhough I just did) b/c something tells me you're not a fan of his Batman scores either. Oh and don't takesthis the wrong way but b/c a character(superman) has a score that blows you away and Batman doesn't . That automatically makes you a bigger fan of Superman than Batman. I understand if you like a character better b/c that character's stories are better but b/c a film score to that character blew you away and the other character's film score didn't. That automatically makes you a bigger Superman fan than Batman. Whatever makes you happy.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #67
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Well, maybe I should clarify..Batman hasn't really had a film score that blows me away. The animated shows scores were pretty cool, granted. But on the big screen, I haven't really been impressed...and for me the score is a HUGE part of a film. If the score doesn't fit or sound good your film will be crap. Being a musician as I had previously stated yes, music is very important to me.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #68
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, maybe I should clarify..Batman hasn't really had a film score that blows me away. The animated shows scores were pretty cool, granted. But on the big screen, I haven't really been impressed...and for me the score is a HUGE part of a film. If the score doesn't fit or sound good your film will be crap. Being a musician as I had previously stated yes, music is very important to me.

Now you're just opening another can of worms b/c now you're saying "the score is a huge part of a movie" and "If the score doesn't fit or sound good your film will be crap." That's fine you think that. That's your right. But what's this got to do with liking one character over another b/c that character's film score blew you away.

Earlier you said that you prefer Superman more than Batman b/c Superman's film score blew you away, while Batman's didn't. I just found that to be a funny reason to like one character over another. That's what I was pointing out, but whatever makes you happy.

BTW, you're one of the rare people that believe Elfman's Batman score doesn't capture the character or even Burton's take.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #69
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Superman's music is one of the MANY reasons I like him more...you read way too much into things

Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #70
Nathman
Side-Kick

Original John Williams theme all the way.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #71
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Superman's music is one of the MANY reasons I like him more...you read way too much into things
I'm not reading too much into anything. You need to be more specific when you post next time. Because this is what you posted:
Quote:
As much as I hate to say it, Batman has yet to have a score to blow me away. I guess that's why I'm a bigger Superman fan than I am Batman.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #72
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Once again, you take things too literal...you've never heard of a figure of speech? I like Superman because of the music, the dude can fly, he's an alien, he can leap tall buildings in a single bound, he's faster than a locomotive...geez guy, his music is BETTER than Batman's, so I factor that in. I like his music better.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #73
thelastson

Leave it out of the film it's time to move on. That was over 30 years ago. It needs an epic 2012 soundtrack to it. It can be done just have to be creative and think outside of the box.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #74
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastson View Post
Leave it out of the film it's time to move on. That was over 30 years ago. It needs an epic 2012 soundtrack to it. It can be done just have to be creative and think outside of the box.
people today CAN'T think outside the box

Old 02-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #75
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Michael Giacchino

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!

Closed Thread