The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Who should compose it?
John Williams 4 23.53%
Howard Shore 2 11.76%
Harry Gregson-Williams 1 5.88%
Hans Zimmer 2 11.76%
James Newton Howard 2 11.76%
other (please state) 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #101
KaptainKrypton
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Superman Score & Soundtrack Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker2007 View Post
you are 100% correct.

there is no chance of anyone making a theme that is anywhere near as good as John William's Superman Theme. You cannot top perfection like Superman, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ET etc.

So WB should do the right thing and make the main William's theme as the mandatory requirement for any future Superman movie. They might disregard the rest of William's score, but the main theme should stay.

As for Michael Giachino, he is way overrated. His 2009 Star Trek score was ok, but it was nothing special. Cliff Eidelman's score for Star Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country wipes the floor with anything Giachinno has ever done or ever will do in his entire life.

Cliff Eidelman created a stunning masterpiece of music in 1991 (at the age of 26!!) which ranks up there alongside Jerry Goldsmith's and James Horner's Trek Scores. Its mind boggling how good it is and it is quite astonishing how Eidelman never made another Trek score, he is that good.

If anyone deserves to score a big budget superhero movie, its Cliff Eidelman.

People today have ****** standards.

Don't accept anything less than perfection.

That's why Zimmer himself admits he can't come up with a theme to match William's masterpiece. Zimmer would have to throw his keyboard away and learn to write music if he wanted to compare himself to John Williams.

Hell, even Daft Punk are probably better keyboard players than Hans Zimmer. Zimmer is a keyboard player who was somehow elevated to exalted status without really earning it. Most of his scores are generic and simple. Other composers have been overlooked for far too long.

Anyway, I look forward to the inevitable Tyler Bates score. Having said that though, Tyler Bates did score the Halloween reboots, and was ordered to reuse the Carpenter main theme, so maybe he might be ordered to do the same again.

It depends on whether Zack Snyder actually has the decency and taste to use an iconic theme that cannot be bettered.
Wow. I agree with this so much I almost thought I typed it. Cliff is the man. He's another greatly underrated composer (another of who I feel is Elliot Goldenthal). There are great composers out there but it seems like Hollywood is perfectly fine recycling the same guys who recycle the same feel over and over again. Get someone with a fresh take that will bring something unique and catchy to the table if they're not going to re-use the Williams themes.

Ross Webster - President & CEO of Webscoe Industries
Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #102
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsovich View Post
Making a masters degree at Mozarteum University in Salzburg myself... and stricly from another musician's point of view... Beethoven's 9th wasn't rewritten, and you're right there. But Brahms wrote 4 symphonies too, Mahler wrote also another 9 (and a fragment of a 10th), Shostakovich another 15... and they go well beyond what Beethoven could ever imagine when his 9th symphony was premiered. I don't believe in conformism in music. We've gone in barely three centuries from Bach to the serialism of people like Boulez and the polytonality of Ligeti. Music should never stop at a landmark and should be ready to evolve just 5 minutes after the premiere. Zimmer saying what he said is a bit unfortunate in a way, because Williams' theme as classic as it is is just a landmark that's waiting to be surpassed. If nobody tries, it will never happen. Just like if nobody had written orchestral after Beethoven we would have never had Mahler or Shostakovich's marvelous music... To each his own and I respect that. But I find it would be wasting the talents of a composer to merely do a transcription of Williams. It's like if all symphonies of the last 150 years would've been Beethoven's 9th's theme just with slight variations. Waste of potential, don't you think? In fact I'll add.. you mess more with a classic by doing a variation of it rather than when you do your own thing that is completely new...
oddly enough in my music class last semester my composer report was on Brahms

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #103
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_Evans View Post
oddly enough in my music class last semester my composer report was on Brahms
I did my bachelor thesis last november on his 1st Piano Concerto...

Bit off-topic... Brahms is all-round my absolute favorite. His music is simply PERFECT from opus 1 until the end... just everything. Unfortunately that came with the price of him discarding and throwing to the trash most of his real output. The 100-plus opus we got are actually just the tip of the iceberg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBats
Does it disgust anyone that when we were being born, our penises were technically in our mother's vaginas? Isn't that disgusting?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #104
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsovich View Post
I did my bachelor thesis last november on his 1st Piano Concerto...

Bit off-topic... Brahms is all-round my absolute favorite. His music is simply PERFECT from opus 1 until the end... just everything. Unfortunately that came with the price of him discarding and throwing to the trash most of his real output. The 100-plus opus we got are actually just the tip of the iceberg...
yeah that was pretty bad...he was great!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #105
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
basically everything great about the previous franchise was one film...Superman 1.
Which was directed by Donner. All good things about the franchise was done by Dopnner, isn't that what I had just said?

Quote:
the rest weren't that great.
Well to many SII was considered even better than STM. I don't think so but then again it was still good.

Quote:
If he set the tone and it was followed the rest of the movies wouldn't have sucked so damn bad
So you say that when one person does a good job, a different director can't screw it up in the sequels? Really? You really think that is an impossibility? Schumacher anyone?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #106
Panthro
Catman Begins

There's no reason why a contemporary composer can't make a theme that's better than the John Williams Superman theme. People need to let go of their nostalgia.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #107
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthro View Post
There's no reason why a contemporary composer can't make a theme that's better than the John Williams Superman theme. People need to let go of their nostalgia.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #108
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Which was directed by Donner. All good things about the franchise was done by Dopnner, isn't that what I had just said?

Well to many SII was considered even better than STM. I don't think so but then again it was still good.

So you say that when one person does a good job, a different director can't screw it up in the sequels? Really? You really think that is an impossibility? Schumacher anyone?
Schumacher didn't follow the tone set by Burton...you missed my whole point. If Lester had done what Donner had done the other movies wouldn't have been trash. If Donner hadn't have been fire the other movies wouldn't have been trash...

Old 02-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #109
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
never...Williams forever

Old 02-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #110
Panthro
Catman Begins

Quote:
Schumacher didn't follow the tone set by Burton...you missed my whole point. If Lester had done what Donner had done the other movies wouldn't have been trash. If Donner hadn't have been fire the other movies wouldn't have been trash...
Well even when Donner was in the director's chair there were problems with camp (Otis, Eve, overall characterizations of Lex, Lois & Clark) and questionable storytelling (time travel plot hole). Snyder & Nolan have over 30 years of hindsight to work with and build a better series.

Quote:
never...Williams forever
Look it's a beautiful theme but it belongs to a different Superman from a different era, just as Danny Elfman's Batman theme belongs to a different Batman from a different era. The new film needs a new theme that will help establish its own identity. And there's no reason why a new composer can't top Williams score.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Old 02-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #111
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I don't think anyone can top that..to me that is just as connected with Superman as the Bond theme is with Bond and Star Wars. If they rebooted the Star Wars franchise and started over from scratch, would you want them to write a new theme for that franchise??? HELL NO!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #112
Mindreaper21
Side-Kick

Seriously? The Williams theme isn't all that perfect. I don't even like it (Throw your hissy fit if you want it's my opinion). Saying that it can't be topped is utterly rediculous and just shows that some people are afraid to come out of the shell of Donner's shadow... The theme has to go along with the flow of the movie. I don't want the Williams theme to be used all because its "iconic" or "memorable". I want a composer who has the balls to challenge the Williams theme and not be afraid to do what is necessary to make a great Superman movie and not a "Donner's Superman" movie. You can't just make something fit where it doesnt. If you love Donner's Superman so much, just continue to watch that. If you love SUPERMAN, then you would want the BEST for him in this movie; a theme that suit him best for this movie.

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #113
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I agree...and William's theme fits Superman great for crying out loud. It says SUPERMAN in it! If you can't hear it screaming SUPERMAN you need your ears checked...It can't fit any better

Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #114
Mindreaper21
Side-Kick

Sure, the Williams theme fits Superman in Donner's movie. However, I can't agree with anyone who believes that the theme completely fits Superman. For example, the Timburg theme was a great fit for Superman in the Fleischer cartoons. The music from those cartoons are better in my opinion.

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #115
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

The Timburg them was great, but it doesn't speak to me as much as Williams' theme does. All the other themese they used for Superman shows and games have failed to excite me like Williams' theme does...his theme should be mandatory as someone said before. If WB doesn't see that they are idiots

Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #116
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Is this HONESTLY still going on?

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
Old 02-16-2011, 12:58 AM   #117
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus_Snape View Post
apparently...

Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #118
Panthro
Catman Begins

Quote:
Some people just can't stop living in the past.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #119
Gunga Diner
Solvin' cool mysteries

I feel like the kid who's been falling asleep in class and missed the lesson, but Hans Zimmer is attached to the project, right? I can't stand Tyler Bates. He sucks at creating memorable melodies and chord progressions. His scores never leave an impression at all. Watchmen's score had the same problem the movie did, which was that it lacked its own collective identity. And his 300 score had moments of blatant (and eventually admitted) plagiarism.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #120
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
apparently...
Quote:
Some people just can't stop living in the past.

I weep for the future.

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #121
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I don't...some things just shouldn't be tampered with...and I'll believe that until the day I die and then some

Old 02-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #122
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Batman got a new theme.
Spider-Man will get one.
Superman is getting one.
The X-Men has got about 500 new themes.

It's happening.

Oh, and you obviously have not seen ferris bueller

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16

Last edited by A Necessary Evil; 02-16-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #123
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Batman got a new theme.
Spider-Man will get one.
Superman is getting one.
The X-Men has got about 500 new themes.

It's happening.

Oh, and you obviously have not seen ferris bueller
I've seen Ferris Bueller...

Bond kept his theme
Halloween kept it's theme
Star Trek kept it's theme albeit at the end of the movie

So let me ask you this: If they decided to reboot Indiana Jones or the Star Wars franchises with all new actors, would you say they need new themes as well? I would say no, because EVERYONE associates those themes with those movies! If you gave Star Wars a new theme and the movie started playing some new theme pops up people would like, "What is this $H!T???" Those themes go with those characters just as much as the Superman theme goes with Superman! I'm gonna laugh if he keeps his theme and all of you who are so certain he will get a new theme will be eating some crow...

Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #124
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Bond kept his theme, but I consider each film a reboot unto itself.
Halloween did not get a reboot, because those two pieces of trash were not halloween.
Star Trek I did not see, nor do I care to (not a trekkie).

Oh, and yes, I would. If they reboot indy, give it a new theme. If they reboot star wars (LOL LIKE THAT'LL HAPPEN), I want new themes.

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #125
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

well according to the studio those are Halloween whether you like it or not...and hell no to Indy getting a new them and Star Wars...that would be the dumbest thing anyone could ever do! And I wasn't a Trekkie until I saw JJ's Star Trek...it was really good

Closed Thread