The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #26
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,317
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBe View Post
What was funny, yesterday Para brought up in the Economy Thread, that China was thinking about Reducing Taxes!

Thats what we need to stimulate the Economy, a cut in Taxes, a cut in Federal, State and Personal Spending.
That's classic 'priming the pump', which I support.

The idea is that, when the economy is low, government should increase spending and reduce taxes. Thereby pumping money into the economy to get it rolling again, even running a deficit if necessary.

Then, when the economy turns around, government decreases spending and increases taxes enough to keep inflation low, and save money, running a surplus that hopefully counters any deficit from when the economy was bad.


And, if you think about it, government does do this automatically in some cases. When the economy turns sour, people and companies drop into lower tax brackets, reducing taxes. And spending for programs like unemployment and welfare goes up. When the economy does good again, the opposite happens.


Actually, I'd prefer if government pretty much stayed out of the economy and let the market take care of itself. But that's the capitalist in me. Government should just do enough to promote fair competition and protect consumers, but that's it.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #27
IncrediNate
Officially Nicknamed.
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 128
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
That's classic 'priming the pump', which I support.
Actually, I'd prefer if government pretty much stayed out of the economy and let the market take care of itself. But that's the capitalist in me. Government should just do enough to promote fair competition and protect consumers, but that's it.
yep... that's what capitalism is.

IncrediNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #28
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,317
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/14/news...ion=2008121409

86 straight days of decline, and gas has finally gone up 2 days in a row (haven't felt the rise around here yet). I'm not sure if it means much yet, even though oil has crept up a bit lately. But if they do start restricting supply because some oil fields are not economical at the current prices, we'll probably feel a sting at the pump as spring and summer demand increases.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 AM   #29
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed
 
NewYorkSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 23,430
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Gas has finally made it's way to $1.82 where I live. $1.78 up in New York state.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #30
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,005
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Gas is still hovering around $1.69 a gallon here.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #31
Pulp
Captain John "Vox" Hudson
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 48
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Arkansas: $1.33 after 10 cents off at Kroger; Shell varying between $1.44 to $1.54. My local Shell posted a 5 cent increase overnight.

Enron and Phillips 66 tend to add 10 cents to whatever Shell are selling gas for.

Valero tends to follow the rest.

Coastal Corp (Dolan Independent) matches Shell usually.

Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #32
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,317
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...4BF5WK20081216

Good news. Look like US consumers have learned their lesson, or at least aren't willing to soon shoot themselves in the foot again. Despite the drastic drop in gas prices, US consumer demand for gas continues to drop.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #33
Paradyme
Please Remain Calm
 
Paradyme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,220
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Gas went up here in Missouri. Was around $1.30 now it's all the way up to $1.59. I don't believe for one minute that OPEC can't produce oil for $40 a barrell.

__________________
"Never give up. Never surrender."
Peter Quincy Taggert Jason Nesmith

"I just wanna play, I just wanna play a game."
"One that you've never played before. One that you'll never play again, I'm sure."
-Mudvayne-
Paradyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #34
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,232
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Of course they can....but do they want to sell it for under that.....????

that would be a "no"....

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #35
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,005
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Gas just went down to $1.61 a gallon.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #36
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,005
Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

'DRILL, BABY DRILL' IS ON
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/...ef=mpstoryview

Quote:
Remember "drill, baby drill"? In its last weeks in office, the Bush administration is starting to make it happen by quietly starting the process of exploration and drilling off the coast of Virginia.

As the price of gas surged past $4 a gallon this summer, U.S. drilling became a hot political issue.

The move means that President-elect Barack Obama and brand new interior secretary nominee Ken Salazar -- a Democratic senator from Colorado -- will have to jump feet-first into the decades-old debate over offshore oil drilling. It's an issue where the two disagreed at one point.

Wait. Virginia?

The state is ground zero for the drilling debate because of possible reserves off the coast and what energy experts see as a friendlier government than elsewhere.

The U.S. Interior Department has completed the first step, closing a public comment period on the proposal to lease 2.9 million acres of ocean to natural gas and oil companies. The pie-shaped area begins 50 miles off Virginia's coast, straight out from Virginia Beach on the south and across from Virginia's boundary on the Delmarva peninsula to the north.

"The East Coast really has not been looked at for 30 years," said Randall Luthi, who heads up the drilling plan as director of Interior's Minerals Management Service. Luthi spoke from his Washington office to CNN Radio.

"Our best guess is that area could contain about 130 million barrels of oil and 1.14 trillion cubic feet of natural gas," he said.
:facepalm

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #37
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,317
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Don't expect $4 gas anytime soon


http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/09/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes


Just paid $1.83. I had been hearing that we should expect summer prices about what they were last year, but this sure makes me think otherwise. Although I do expect it to go up.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #38
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,232
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Gas has gone UP to $1.54 here....

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #39
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,615
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Don't expect $4 gas anytime soon


http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/09/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes


Just paid $1.83. I had been hearing that we should expect summer prices about what they were last year, but this sure makes me think otherwise. Although I do expect it to go up.
It's obvious that gas prices will rise again for the summer, but I really doubt that we're going to see $4.00 gas prices for a while on pure common sense. The federal government isn't going to tax gas like Europe does because that would be political suicide. Oil producing nations aren't going to want oil prices to be too high because then it will lead to weakening demand for oil and increased demand for more fuel efficiency and alternative energy. And hopefully, people have learned their lesson.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #40
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,317
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

I wouldn't be surprised to see gas around $2.5-$3.00 during the summer because, no matter how bad the economy is doing, consumption always goes up during summer months.

Probably the only way it can get as bad as it did last year is if they drastically cut production (or another massive hurricane season cuts it for us).

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #41
jaguarr
Be Your Own Hero
 
jaguarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In The Moment
Posts: 43,580
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

So, watching the market today, oil dropped below $38 a barrel and gasoline had it's first drop in price on the national index for the first time in over a week. The reason cited in many articles I perused? Demand. People still aren't buying gas and oil like they used to. Driver's came to the realization that they don't need to drive as much as they thought after being forced to cut back when the prices were around $4/gallon. The economy and unemployment only compound that; why go out when you don't have any money to spend anyway? Investors seem to be the ones buying and stockpiling crude oil at the moment, betting that the price will go back up and they can then turn around and sell it at a higher price later.

The oil industry's prices have been in the toilet for awhile now, and it really makes me wonder if they're now paying the price for gutting the golden goose last year and doing everything they could to jack up the prices of oil and gasoline to reap windfall, record profits at the expense of their customers. Those customers, all of us included, got pushed to the breaking point and just stopped driving and consuming gasoline like we used to. Even with gas prices back down to reasonable levels, people have not gone back to their previous driving habits instead choosing to limit how much they drive. Did the oil industry shoot itself in the foot with the tactics they employed to get oil and gas prices jacked up as high as they were? Have they inadvertently created less demand for their product? Have they increased interest in alternative energy sources and the likelihood that we'll be pursuing those more aggressively?

Discuss.

jag

__________________
Bite into the apple of discord and let it nourish away your complacency.

A VERY Basic Primer To Bodybuilding, Weight Training & Fitnesss
(2nd Edition, New And Improved!)
jaguarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #42
SuBe
Voluntaryist
 
SuBe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Libertopia
Posts: 11,917
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarr View Post
So, watching the market today, oil dropped below $38 a barrel and gasoline had it's first drop in price on the national index for the first time in over a week. The reason cited in many articles I perused? Demand. People still aren't buying gas and oil like they used to. Driver's came to the realization that they don't need to drive as much as they thought after being forced to cut back when the prices were around $4/gallon. The economy and unemployment only compound that; why go out when you don't have any money to spend anyway? Investors seem to be the ones buying and stockpiling crude oil at the moment, betting that the price will go back up and they can then turn around and sell it at a higher price later.

The oil industry's prices have been in the toilet for awhile now, and it really makes me wonder if they're now paying the price for gutting the golden goose last year and doing everything they could to jack up the prices of oil and gasoline to reap windfall, record profits at the expense of their customers. Those customers, all of us included, got pushed to the breaking point and just stopped driving and consuming gasoline like we used to. Even with gas prices back down to reasonable levels, people have not gone back to their previous driving habits instead choosing to limit how much they drive. Did the oil industry shoot itself in the foot with the tactics they employed to get oil and gas prices jacked up as high as they were? Have they inadvertently created less demand for their product? Have they increased interest in alternative energy sources and the likelihood that we'll be pursuing those more aggressively?

Discuss.

jag
So if Demand is low and Prices fall you are 100% happy about it, and if Demand is high and Prices raise naturally with it, you blame "Corporate Greed"? It's just the Market. Why does it have to be "Greed"?

__________________
Hype! FAIRTAX Thead, ask any question at:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=290666
or http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=347909


"Everyday that Congress meets, you lose a little bit more of your Liberty"
SuBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #43
jaguarr
Be Your Own Hero
 
jaguarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In The Moment
Posts: 43,580
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBe View Post
So if Demand is low and Prices fall you are 100% happy about it, and if Demand is high and Prices raise naturally with it, you blame "Corporate Greed"? It's just the Market. Why does it have to be "Greed"?

Because the market was artificially inflated to the Nth degree last year and only came back down when people stopped using the product to a huge degree and demand fell through the basement. If the market wasn't manipulated like it is, THEN it would be a natural evolution of the market.

jag

__________________
Bite into the apple of discord and let it nourish away your complacency.

A VERY Basic Primer To Bodybuilding, Weight Training & Fitnesss
(2nd Edition, New And Improved!)
jaguarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #44
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,615
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBe View Post
So if Demand is low and Prices fall you are 100% happy about it, and if Demand is high and Prices raise naturally with it, you blame "Corporate Greed"? It's just the Market. Why does it have to be "Greed"?
I think it wasn't gas going up with demand, it was that gas and oil were going up far beyond what they should have been.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #45
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,232
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Speculators screwed this up, big time..............they are now being watched like hawks, and they have chilled.....the dollar is up as well.

I'm sorry, but I think those 2 things have shown more in the gas prices, much more than demand.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #46
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,005
Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

...since gas prices are starting to go all over the place again, I thought it was time to resurrect this thread.

I just got gas for $2.45 a gallon.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #47
simplysuperhero
Superhero Website Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maplewood, NJ
Posts: 492
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Come to NJ: $2.15/gallon.

__________________
Got game? Simply Superheroes offers more than 15 free superhero video games to play.
simplysuperhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #48
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,232
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

$1.99 in Houston, Texas

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #49
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,005
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysuperhero View Post
Come to NJ: $2.15/gallon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel View Post
$1.99 in Houston, Texas
...

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #50
SuBe
Voluntaryist
 
SuBe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Libertopia
Posts: 11,917
Default Re: Discussion: Gas Prices

$2.45 in Naples.

__________________
Hype! FAIRTAX Thead, ask any question at:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=290666
or http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=347909


"Everyday that Congress meets, you lose a little bit more of your Liberty"
SuBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.