The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Nintendo

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #826
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Default Re: It's the Pokemon thread - Part 1

I could see it being psychic. But yeah, I'm surprised we haven't gotten a steel type Eevee. And I would kill for a dragon Eevee.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #827
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

A poison eevee would be interesting too. There are so many types they haven't used with Eevee yet, it seems kind of dumb to make (what looks like) another normal type.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #828
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

They've been making too many cute/dumb/useless Pokemon. I want more unique type combinations. Can we get a Flying/Fighting already?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #829
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

I agree. That's why my teams mostly consist of Gen 1 and Gen 2 pokemon. They're more useful IMHO (nostalgia aside).

Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #830
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgers2213 View Post
Here is the new Eevee on the front page of serebii. Looks like a normal type
http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml#
It looks rather lame, oh well.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #831
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Also, I hope for X and Y they got some better people to do the designs. The pokemon we got in Black and White looked like garbage, some quite literally.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #832
Benstamania
Shot first.

Garbage Pokemon <3

Old 02-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #833
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

I actually thought the names from and designs from B/W were a step up from what came the generation before.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #834
dodgers2213
Side-Kick

there are quite a few pokemon from B/W that I really like. All the legendaries introduced (meh on Victini maybe), Volcarona, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Mienshao, Leavanny, Galvantula and some others

The starters were the worst IMO. Serperior being the only one somewhat cool

Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1936-9586-3562
Old 02-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #835
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Eh, I'm such an old timer that they'd have a hard time creating any pokemon I'd like better than Gen 1 and 2. I did like some of the type combo's in B&W though. The Dark/Dragon and Fire/Ghost types were pretty rad. I just wish that the Fire/Ghost was something other than a chandelier.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #836
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

They'll never beat the Gen I/II. On top of the nostalgia factor you mentioned, they just had so many possibilities then. Now it's hard for them not to get repetitive, so they have to do the best they can.

Although, I'm pretty sure they could've always done better than a chandelier.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #837
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
They'll never beat the Gen I/II. On top of the nostalgia factor you mentioned, they just had so many possibilities then. Now it's hard for them not to get repetitive, so they have to do the best they can.

Although, I'm pretty sure they could've always done better than a chandelier.
Yep. For a type combo that ****ing rad to be a lighting fixture is annoying. Fire and Ghost could be literally anything other than a chandelier. When I think fire and ghost all kinds of badass stuff pops into my head.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #838
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

just a ghost on fire would be bad ass. And it could be really creepy looking.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #839
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

That new Eevee form is sickening.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #840
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I liked Chandelure. It was a good design evolution wise (candle-lantern-chandelier). Obviously something "cooler" could have been done but I thought it was unique and exemplified its 2 types well. You see it and there's no doubt what it is.

I don't think it's hard for them to be creative, they just don't want to be. They'd rather go with something cute and repetitive than new.

The last gen there was speculation they'd make the starters evolve into a secondary type where it would beat the weakness to its primary type (eg Grass/Fighting, Fire/Dark, Water/Psychic). But we ended up a plain Water, plain Grass, and another Fire/Fighting and they weren't that good.

One Pokemon I loved from B/W was Galvantula. It was a strong and unique type combo (Electric/Bug, no Flying or Ground weaknesses). I also liked Axew because there was finally a Dragon line that you could obtain relatively early, wasn't a chore to train, and wasn't god-like that it annihilated anything.

What I get hung up on though is the unique types. Gen V had a lot of them (Galvantula, Krookodile, Ferrothorn, Bisharp). I want to use them because they're new. It's different and exciting instead of having my typical team with a Water, Dragon, Flying, Fighting, Steel, Psychic, etc. The usual suspects who can get any job done.

Pokemon is one of those franchises that could really use a reboot. There are like 650, probably will be 750+ with the new gen. They can probably get it down to 500 tops.

Get rid of baby Pokemon. Either all together or just make them like normal basic Pokemon. Do Igglybuff and Clefa really need to exist?
Get rid of the dumb pokemon. The snowcone, the stupid normal ones (like the terrier). The stuff you look at and just think "What were they thinking?" or "Did they even try?"
Make some pokemon more rare to obtain. Not just lower catch rates or appearance. Take for example Pokemon like Mr. Mime, Jynx, Lickitung, and Farfetch'd. Let's be honest, they were kinda dumb. But it was a big deal to get them because there was only one and you had to find the NPC to trade for it.
Fewer legendaries. There are more legendary Pokemon than Fire-types (including legendary Fire types). This needs to be changed both ways.
Customizable character. One thing that put me off from B2/W2 was how stupid the characters look. If I can dye clothing in Assassin's Creed 2, I think Pokemon can some some clothing, hair, hat and options and a color palette for them.
Adjust type match-up balance. For example, Poison is great defensively but limited offensively. That's fine. It's often a type that's combined with another so it has more options on offense. Ice is a great type offensively, horrible defensively. However, it's rarely combined with another type to help compensate to make an Ice pokemon more usable.

Last edited by Spidey-Bat; 02-12-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #841
dodgers2213
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
I also liked Axew because there was finally a Dragon line that you could obtain relatively early, wasn't a chore to train, and wasn't god-like that it annihilated anything.
Dragon Dance Haxorus is truly terrifying and annihilates all but a few Pokemon

Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1936-9586-3562
Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #842
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
I liked Chandelure. It was a good design evolution wise (candle-lantern-chandelier). Obviously something "cooler" could have been done but I thought it was unique and exemplified its 2 types well. You see it and there's no doubt what it is.

I don't think it's hard for them to be creative, they just don't want to be. They'd rather go with something cute and repetitive than new.

The last gen there was speculation they'd make the starters evolve into a secondary type where it would beat the weakness to its primary type (eg Grass/Fighting, Fire/Dark, Water/Psychic). But we ended up a plain Water, plain Grass, and another Fire/Fighting and they weren't that good.

One Pokemon I loved from B/W was Galvantula. It was a strong and unique type combo (Electric/Bug, no Flying or Ground weaknesses). I also liked Axew because there was finally a Dragon line that you could obtain relatively early, wasn't a chore to train, and wasn't god-like that it annihilated anything.

What I get hung up on though is the unique types. Gen V had a lot of them (Galvantula, Krookodile, Ferrothorn, Bisharp). I want to use them because they're new. It's different and exciting instead of having my typical team with a Water, Dragon, Flying, Fighting, Steel, Psychic, etc. The usual suspects who can get any job done.

Pokemon is one of those franchises that could really use a reboot. There are like 650, probably will be 750+ with the new gen. They can probably get it down to 500 tops.

Get rid of baby Pokemon. Either all together or just make them like normal basic Pokemon. Do Igglybuff and Clefa really need to exist?
Get rid of the dumb pokemon. The snowcone, the stupid normal ones (like the terrier). The stuff you look at and just think "What were they thinking?" or "Did they even try?"
Make some pokemon more rare to obtain. Not just lower catch rates or appearance. Take for example Pokemon like Mr. Mime, Jynx, Lickitung, and Farfetch'd. Let's be honest, they were kinda dumb. But it was a big deal to get them because there was only one and you had to find the NPC to trade for it.
Fewer legendaries. There are more legendary Pokemon than Fire-types (including legendary Fire types). This needs to be changed both ways.
Customizable character. One thing that put me off from B2/W2 was how stupid the characters look. If I can dye clothing in Assassin's Creed 2, I think Pokemon can some some clothing, hair, hat and options and a color palette for them.
Adjust type match-up balance. For example, Poison is great defensively but limited offensively. That's fine. It's often a type that's combined with another so it has more options on offense. Ice is a great type offensively, horrible defensively. However, it's rarely combined with another type to help compensate to make an Ice pokemon more usable.
Good post.

The part in bold is the biggest part that bothers me, though. I cannot keep all of the different pokemon straight. And I think a big reason for that is that they all cross over between generations.

I like the idea of being able to trade over old generations' pokemon. But leave it at trading. Each region should have its own unique Pokedex, and limit wild pokemon to the ones found in that Pokedex. There's nothing more frustrating to me than trying to complete Sinnoh's pokedex, and I see ****ing Magnemite show up. I caught him 12 years ago, and I want to catch something new. If I want him on my Platinum team that badly, let me trade him over.

Does that mean remaking some of the older games for DS or 3DS? Yeah, they have to be compatible to trade. But I've played red or blue probably 5 times now and I honestly wouldn't complain about having to play it again, especially with updated graphics and new features.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #843
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

... reboot or not. i think it's a complete shame to "get rid of" some of the pokemon.. everyone has there favorites.

i think a story reboot would be nice though

i'd still love an EPIC pokemon game that included majority of the "lands" from the games

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 02-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #844
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

GigaGASP! A new Eeveelution that's Normal-type.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #845
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

Can't tell if sarcasm or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Lauper
Taffy butt! You have a taffy butt!
There's treasure in that butt
I want that taffy butt!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #846
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
... reboot or not. i think it's a complete shame to "get rid of" some of the pokemon.. everyone has there favorites.

i'd still love an EPIC pokemon game that included majority of the "lands" from the games
I think every pokefan in the world would want a game that included more than one land. I know I loved Silver best of all because when I finished the one land I got to go to the other. There's no reason Nintendo can't make that happen again. Hell, make it a Wii U title with full on HD graphics, include all Pokemon and all the lands and you'd have a winner. Imagine what could be done in a pokemon game with the Wii U gamepad working in conjunction with the TV and Wii U's capabilities. If I designed a game like that one thing I would really do is make pokemon only available in their native land. Gen 1 pokemon could only be found in Kanto, Gen 2 in Johto, etc.

That's just a fantasy at this point.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #847
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
I think every pokefan in the world would want a game that included more than one land. I know I loved Silver best of all because when I finished the one land I got to go to the other. There's no reason Nintendo can't make that happen again. Hell, make it a Wii U title with full on HD graphics, include all Pokemon and all the lands and you'd have a winner. Imagine what could be done in a pokemon game with the Wii U gamepad working in conjunction with the TV and Wii U's capabilities. If I designed a game like that one thing I would really do is make pokemon only available in their native land. Gen 1 pokemon could only be found in Kanto, Gen 2 in Johto, etc.

That's just a fantasy at this point.
nintendo is INCREDIBLY stupid for not doing this... i don't care if the graphics are old school... just do this, do it online, let us visit other trainers.. create an open poke' world. the franchise has already established that it's that kinda game.. make it actually happen for once. or they're going to milk a franchise completely dry

[=]
Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #848
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Quote:
nintendo is INCREDIBLY stupid for not doing this... i don't care if the graphics are old school... just do this, do it online, let us visit other trainers.. create an open poke' world. the franchise has already established that it's that kinda game.. make it actually happen for once. or they're going to milk a franchise completely dry
Yep. They have to make the left turn and make that happen. Otherwise they'll keep releasing the same type of Poke game with a 100 or so new Pokemon and eventually Pokemon will die out. A Pokemon game like I described with added online features would breathe new life into the franchise in a big way.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #849
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

new life, and easily probably one of the best selling games nintendo has ever had...

[=]
Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #850
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
Good post.

The part in bold is the biggest part that bothers me, though. I cannot keep all of the different pokemon straight. And I think a big reason for that is that they all cross over between generations.

I like the idea of being able to trade over old generations' pokemon. But leave it at trading. Each region should have its own unique Pokedex, and limit wild pokemon to the ones found in that Pokedex. There's nothing more frustrating to me than trying to complete Sinnoh's pokedex, and I see ****ing Magnemite show up. I caught him 12 years ago, and I want to catch something new. If I want him on my Platinum team that badly, let me trade him over.
Which brings up another issue. We'll call it Geodude/Zubat-Syndrome. EVERY cave in the game has a Geodude or Zubat (or its evolutions). I never have any desire to use either one because of how often I see them. Unfortunately they repeated the same thing (though to lesser degree) in Gen V with Woobat and Roggenrola. They need to avoid this.

Quote:

It would suck, but do you really want to keep playing this game when there are 1,000-1,500 Pokemon and you need about 3 generations and 2-3 different generations of platforms to actually obtain them all?

Something else that needs to be considered is that games will probably become purely digital. So Pokemon needs to become more self-contained. It's going to need another massive overhaul like in Gen III to adapt to future hardware.

I think the best way is to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch. I generally hate episodic/expansion games but I think Pokemon can survive that and it wouldn't be awful. Here's how I'd make it (I started typing this before some of your posts, some of it is tangential to what you discussed):

Take Kanto, give it modernized features that it would have today. When you start the game, you choose a starter. Personally, I'd like something where you can choose ANY starter. I love Bulbasaur, but maybe I feel like starting with Treecko or Totodile in Kanto.

You play the game as normal. Then have Johto as an expansion. However, your Pokemon from Kanto are locked out until you beat this one. So you have to pick a new starter. They can do it that you can pick one of the Gen I starters you didn't choose or one of the Gen II starters. Once you beat Gen II, you can freely exchange any of your Pokemon.

It'd basically work that your Pokemon are saved separately in your hardware (and/or a cloud account), not within the software. So there's no more need to have 2 DS or 3DS to trade between your different copies of the game. The game just accesses them from your hardware's storage. It also would allow you to replay the game without losing all your Pokemon. I've sometimes wanted to replay a game and instead of picking a starter and slowing capturing my team, start with 6 Pokemon you can catch in the wild and playing the whole game with them.

Closed Thread