Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #101
JAK®
Upstart

Default Re: It's the Pokemon thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Ah I see.

Yeah doesn't sound that great when you put it that way.
The fuss around Audino is purely based on the amount of experience it gives, and how you are guaranteed to find one with some patience, making them perfect grinding fodder.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #102
jacobed
Banned User

I'm just curious how is the game so far? I've been on the fence about getting White. I haven't played a pokemon since red, blue, and yellow but after seeing some videos and reading a few reviews this game sounds like its the perfect time to jump back into the franchise.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:04 AM   #103
Fading
>:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
What is this? I vaguely remember trying something where I'd catch a pokemon, save it, then restart the game thinking it was in my PC Box...that's probably not exactly what I tried; that was with Silver back when it was first released, so its been a while.

I took a look at one of the more popular pokemon forums and it seems to have gotten a lot more complicated since I first beat Red after it was first released.

I could be wrong, but I think he just means starting a game, transfering it to another Pokemon game, restarting over, choosing the next starter, transfering it over again. Then on the third restart you keep that starter, and transfer the other two back over, so you have all three starters in a new game. Another trick along those lines I like is transfering eggs over to a new game. That way when you hatch them they count as pokemon native to that game, so you don't have to worry about over leveling them and them not listening to commands. You can save before the egg hatches, hatch it, see if it's the nature you want, if it is then reset and transfer it over to your new game before it hatches. It's what I did with my Heart Gold team.

I changed my mind at the last second on Black btw. I was going to choose it, but last night I looked over the differences again, and looked at Black City on youtube, and then White Forrest. Came to the realization that outside of thinking the Goth pokemon looked somewhat interesting, that I cared about none of the Black exclusives. Then after seeing Black City and White Forrest I realized neither was a huge deal and balanced eachother out. So it came down to White adding a bit more story with Iris, and that I thought Braviary and Thundurus were awesome. I'll just hold off for the eventual Pokemon Grey, and do the 3 starter run then and just skip over Black for now. Kinda glad I looked everything over one more time before I bought it later today. Now just to make a definite decision on which starter I want to go with first heh.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:32 AM   #104
SuperFerret
Class Act

Is it just me or do the new camera angles during battle slow it down a bit?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #105
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I'm just curious how is the game so far? I've been on the fence about getting White. I haven't played a pokemon since red, blue, and yellow but after seeing some videos and reading a few reviews this game sounds like its the perfect time to jump back into the franchise.
I really like it so far. Very beginning sucks but probably the same as the others. SoulSilver was different for me since I got my team really early on by trading what I needed from Diamond. But the pace picks up after the first gym since you encounter more unique Pokemon. Before that all you see is 2 Normal and a (crappy) Dark Pokemon. After that you can get a Psychic, Psychic/Flying, Rock, Electric, Ground, Normal/Flying, Water and Fighting.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #106
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Goddamn Amazon has still yet to process my trade-in credit. I'll be lucky to get this game by the end of the month at this rate

Old 03-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #107
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
I really like it so far. Very beginning sucks but probably the same as the others. SoulSilver was different for me since I got my team really early on by trading what I needed from Diamond. But the pace picks up after the first gym since you encounter more unique Pokemon. Before that all you see is 2 Normal and a (crappy) Dark Pokemon. After that you can get a Psychic, Psychic/Flying, Rock, Electric, Ground, Normal/Flying, Water and Fighting.
The beginning of the originals were pretty sucky too. I've read that this one has an actual story and it is pretty awesome that the games features basically all new pokemon. I think I'll have to buy it. 35 bucks is a great deal for these games since they last longer than most 60 dollar games.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #108
Mogwai
Fanboy

i'm loving this game more than diamond/pearl so far.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #109
DareDemon
Hi! I like shorts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
Is it just me or do the new camera angles during battle slow it down a bit?
I thoght the battles were faster, actually. For reference, I was playing SoulSilver right up until I got White.

Also: Second pokemon I encountered was Shiny. First time ever for me, minus Red gyrados. Patrat, but meh I'm happy it was shiny.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #110
Brainiac 8
Clark Smash!

Yea, Black/White are leagues aboved Diamond/Pearl...the battles move much quicker and I love that I have to learn about a bunch of new pokemon that I've never dealt with.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #111
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

i've heard about people using a pc (real not in game) to transfer pokemon how is this done

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
Old 03-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #112
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I've never heard anything about that before it came out or since.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:54 AM   #113
jacobed
Banned User

I just got White today so far I'm loving it. I just got to the 2nd gym but I haven't beaten it yet. I chose Oshawott as my first pokemon and love his first transformation into Dewott he looks like a samurai otter. I like that they are all new pokemon gives the game a real fresh feeling to it. The battles are fast and since I haven't played a pokemon game since blue, red, and yellow. The double battles are great, I can't wait to try out the triple and rotation.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:15 AM   #114
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

Triple and Rotation battles are too few in BW, fewer in White for some reason.

I liked TMNT...way more than GotG. There. It's been said.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:17 AM   #115
Fading

I went ahead with Snivy myself (who I renamed ThornViper). I looked everything over one last time, and while I know I won't use Snivy past the elite 4, the others just didn't do it for me. Too many good new water Pokemon to make Oshawott worth it (for me), and Tepig's final form is just too slow and fragile (has nice hp, but defenses are rock bottom) to be worth it (again to me). Plus I saw other fire types I liked as well, like the dual ghost/fire.

Pretty much picked up the same Pokemon as anyone else has so no need to get into something boring like that. One thing I'm finding out tho is that I'm not fond of the names in this game. I usually don't rename my Pokes, but changed Snivy, and the water monkies name (Apestream...sounds like number 1, but I meant it to be a play on extreme lol). Also got an Audino right after the first gym, then a Munna (which looks awful), so got to luckily replace my Patrat pretty quick (I'm not usually a fan of the normal first Pokes, Sentret, Ratatatatatata, and so on).

Other than all of that, loving the game so far. The graphics are a nice bump up, and all the other little touches are nice. The more anime like phone scene was nice. Also it finally hit me how awesome reusable TM's are. Got that Work up and just started using it on any of my Pokes that could use it lol.

Last edited by Fading; 03-12-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #116
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCypher View Post
Triple and Rotation battles are too few in BW, fewer in White for some reason.
I think it goes there are more rotation battles in white and there are more triple battles in black.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #117
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Placed my order for Black today. Should get it on Tuesday. I'll probably start with Oshawott

Old 03-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #118
Rain Dog
Failure

I'm like 5 badges in and have yet to use the dreamworld thing. What exactly is it and how do I go about using it?

Old 03-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #119
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

I'm curious bout that Dreamworld too

Old 03-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #120
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

It's the Pokemon thread...so here's some Pokemon art.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

I liked TMNT...way more than GotG. There. It's been said.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #121
Fading

From my understanding about dreamworld (as I just looked it up myself after I got the C-gear), is that it requires the c-gear online feature. The problem is the servers won't be up until the 30th of this month. It kept giving me the "servers are currently under maintanence" message is why I looked it up in the first place.

After that, I'm not sure. I watched a Youtube video and it seemed to involve playing minigames and befriending pokemon to take back to the real world. On top of that the graphics even seemed different, as the it was more like a painting with your pokemon drawn bigger like it came off the anime. I was kinda envisioning walking around in the grass and catching pokemon like usual.

Also just caught a Drilbur , he looks awesome. Problem is tho he was -speed, so trying to catch another. Had to look up the whole look for them drilling thing. This could take awhile to find a decent one (wanting one in my party, but can't breed my female Drilbur yet).

Old 03-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #122
Rain Dog
Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadingCB View Post
Also just caught a Drilbur , he looks awesome. Problem is tho he was -speed, so trying to catch another. Had to look up the whole look for them drilling thing. This could take awhile to find a decent one (wanting one in my party, but can't breed my female Drilbur yet).
I wish there was a way to know the poke's nature before you caught it this gen. Finding pokemon with decent natures, especially the rarer ones, can be quite the pain in the ass.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #123
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Natures on your campaign Pokemon are irrelevant really. It's only +/- 10% either way and is only in full effect at level 100.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #124
jacobed
Banned User

Did anyone else have troubles with the second gym leader Lenora. Holy crap her Watchog just destroyed me 5 times. Granted my team besides Dewott isn't the strongest in the world but holy crap.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #125
Rain Dog
Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Did anyone else have troubles with the second gym leader Lenora. Holy crap her Watchog just destroyed me 5 times. Granted my team besides Dewott isn't the strongest in the world but holy crap.
Not really, I had the most trouble with either Cilan or Elesa.I just razor shell'd the hell outta Lenora.

Closed Thread