The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 03-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #26
TheCorpulent1
Rory PAOUNCH!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Official Young Avengers Discussion Thread - Part 1

Oh, awesome, Vision, Jr. stole the original Vision's emotionlessness along with his albino look. ORIGINALITY, F*** YEAH!

Old 04-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #27
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Old 04-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #28
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Cassie thinks Wanda can resurrect her dad, Scott Lang/Ant-Man, and instead she resurrects Jack Of Hearts. BURN!

Old 04-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #29
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
Cassie thinks Wanda can resurrect her dad, Scott Lang/Ant-Man, and instead she resurrects Jack Of Hearts. BURN!
I can live with that. He was pretty kick ass on the Avengers.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #30
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Official Young Avengers Discussion Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
I can live with that. He was pretty kick ass on the Avengers.
I can say without a doubt that I have never actually read one comic book story anywhere with Jack Of Hearts, which is actually kind of rare given how long he has been around.

I do find it amusing just on a minor level that out of the Avengers Wanda "killed", instead of reviving the one with a grieving daughter, she picks one who I don't think any Marvel character has stated they missed at all. That's the odd thing about the Marvel Universe; the big characters like Johnny Storm or Steve Rogers get those large media funerals, but the small heroes? Nobody misses them. Dan Slott played with that a little with GLA, how nobody would turn out for their funerals, and that made them sadder.

Everyone misses Johnny Storm. But who misses Hornet? Just his three pals, and nobody else. That makes it seem sadder in a way, least to me.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #31
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
I do find it amusing just on a minor level that out of the Avengers Wanda "killed", instead of reviving the one with a grieving daughter, she picks one who I don't think any Marvel character has stated they missed at all.
Well, Scott Lang missed Jack..........then Wanda had Jack reanimated and killed him.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #32
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Cool. I've only ever read maybe 2 or 3 comics with Jack in it.... one of them was his death issue (before Disassembled) which I thought was VERY good.

There's some interesting plot potential here though. Jack originally died, if I remember correctly, fighting to defend a kidnapped Cassie Lang and then died again killing her father.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #33
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Cool. I've only ever read maybe 2 or 3 comics with Jack in it.... one of them was his death issue (before Disassembled) which I thought was VERY good.

There's some interesting plot potential here though. Jack originally died, if I remember correctly, fighting to defend a kidnapped Cassie Lang and then died again killing her father.
His powers were out of control forcing him to live in a containment cell almost 14hrs a day. It was something that I believe Busiek started during his run that Geoff Johns continued on with during his.

When Cassie was kidnapped, Jack saw it as an opportunity to save her by killing the kidnapper/known child murderer and putting an end to his own misery. It was Johns last issue on Avengers and one of the better single issue stories in recent memory.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #34
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Yeah, I was VERY impressed with that issue, and I think it was the only issue by Johns that I read.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #35
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Yeah, I would love to see Johns do some more Marvel work some day but there's a very small chance of that ever happening considering his status at DC.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #36
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Each big two company has some talent they "let get away" and likely regrets. I imagine after all his success with CAPTAIN AMERICA, DC regrets letting Ed Brubaker slip through their fingers after giving him, at best, a run on CATWOMAN. Same as I imagine Marvel are kicking themselves that the let Geoff Johns cement himself further in with DC and become their Bendis.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #37
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

What a great freaking issue. Here's hoping Wanda can permanently restore the lost mutant powers(or at least the dozen or so that matter). See Hope, this is how you do it!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #38
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

It's funny how things work out. If this book came out every month instead of every 2, it would be a better event than Fear Itself. So far, besides the scheduling, the only negatives have been the dated art and Wolverine's total mischaracterization.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #39
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

All the Avengers were too bloodthirsty when they showed up. I'm half expecting the X-Men to break into song&dance

Old 07-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #40
TheCorpulent1
Rory PAOUNCH!
SHH! Global Moderator

Seriously, the Avengers were monstrous caricatures of themselves, baying for blood. Like 9 out of 10 of those dudes believe in the possibility of reform for their absolute worst enemies, but they all happily agree that one of their oldest friends has to die at any cost. It works fine for Wolverine at this point (since any hint of his bestial samurai personality died about 10 years ago), but the rest of them made me sick.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #41
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

In fairness, this whole out of character behavior for the Avengers started with Bendis in the House of M. Perhaps Heinberg is working towards redeeming them a bit at the latter stages of the story. Or perhaps, I'm just delusional.

Last edited by runawayboulder; 07-12-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #42
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
In fairness, this whole out of character behavior for the Avengers started with Bendis in the House of M. Perhaps Heinberg is working towards redeeming them a bit at the latter stages of the story. Or perhaps, I'm just delusional.
i dont' know.. it certainly seems like Heinberg is trying to write alot of wrongs (Clint having sex with a doombot (and not the real wanda).. which was indeed kinda sick, it sorta felt lie he was sexing up a friend you've always wanted to bang but she had amnesia and doesnt remember anything), M-day, the death of Scott Lang (which for some reason i see "fixing" that one, may end in tragedy with Scott dying again and Cassie realizing she can't change the past (it would be a good lesson for her anyway.. i mean.. there has to be a consequence right?), and the avengers learning a thing or two from a couple of kids about taking chances. This could be the story that makes the Young Avengers... official avengers. I mean.. those kids have been through about as much as the New Mutants and Young X-men have... they've fought Kang, Superskrull and a Skrull army, survived Civil War, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, and the Seige on Asgard, they've got there own arch enemy villain team (Young Masters), have fought Loki, Doom, the New Avengers, Runaways, etc etc.. bout time those kids get there props.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 07-12-2011 at 09:24 PM.
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #43
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Official Young Avengers Discussion Thread - Part 1

I do agree that AVENGERS: THE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE #6 was the best issue of the series thus far. In a way that is telling since the last 4-5 issues were mediocre at best. I think it was good because the story got moving in a big way, as well as Heinberg taking steps to rehab both Scarlet Witch and M-Day. It is kind of odd that Marvel would not only put the YA franchise in a freezer for 5 years until Heinberg graced Marvel with his attention again, but were willing to put the X-Men franchise in spin cycle for that time as well. Does he have some senior editor's kid hostage somewhere? Or was "GREY'S ANATOMY" really THAT good?

A major demerit is the treatment of a lot of the elder characters. It is often short-hand for stories starring teenagers to make adult characters extremely narrow minded, violent, cruel or stubborn in comparison. That way the kids get to be right. It's rehashed hackery of the standard order, which means in Hollywood it's as common as Botox. Thus, the Avengers in general and Wolverine in particular get to act like extremists.

There is a school of thought that plenty of mutants have died due to M-Day, whether due to subsequent events or immediate after-effects (such as in GENERATION M, I think it was). Yet the irony is everyone blames Wanda for undoing mutants with a reality warp - but what ENCOURAGED her to do so? The Avengers brawling, and Magneto in particular being violent and extremist. Yet the YA have merrily tagged along with him. I never understood why there has to be a "kill her and nothing else" option for Wanda if she is out of control. There's always stasis, after all. Psychic therapy. Magic, for heaven's sake.

It is strange when I say Wolverine is written out of character, but he is. Wanting to kill Wanda is one thing, but bragging about icing Wiccan too is a step too far. And this is a guy in charge of teenage X-Men? No wonder they always end up slaughtered.

Still, I am curious to what degree Marvel is seriously willing to undo M-Day. With this being a bi-monthly series, the finale won't be for another six months, or basically until late 2011/early 2012. That means the ramifications may not have to kick into other books, such as X-FACTOR, until months down the road. I do feel sorry for Peter David, as his run on X-FACTOR has always been rocked by one event after another; he has done nothing but ride the waves of stuff other writers have done to his book, and he's not complained or quit on it. M-Day was Joe Quesada's baby, but he doesn't run day to day comics anymore. Having Wanda have to personally "re-power" mutants one by one could stretch things out that there would no longer be "millions" of mutants (because when Marvel wanted to have them represent a minority group, they didn't mean a group larger than narwhals), but they could re-power all the named characters.

Some people wonder what role Hope plays, but the two don't contradict each other. The X-Men need Hope to "activate" new mutants who hadn't manifested. Wanda is needed to "re-activate" mutants who had manifested but lost their power. It is only the same to those who lack basic intellect. Thus, watch for an editor to screw it up.

The problem with M-Day was it robbed the X-Men of their core metaphor. You cannot do basic stories that deal with their premise if the number of mutants are less in number than pandas in the wild, or a Facebook fan-page. That gimmick has to be undone if Marvel ever want the X-Men to offer more than stories that retread the past and chase their own tales, and I seriously wonder if Marvel ever do really want the X-Men to be more.

I also wonder if Scott Lang will get to live. If so, having two Ant-Men could be a bit awkward. I mean, technically Kate Bishop is Hawkeye too, but nobody really treats her like the next Hawkeye.

The biggest demerit of the series is that the characters are still mostly bare bones due to neglect. Wiccan is getting a lot of focus, but Speed is still basically an archetype.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:42 AM   #44
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Kate needs to get a different moniker.

I agree Scott Lang should die again there isn't really any point keeping him around and did anyone miss him that much anyway?

I would love M-Day to get undone. I don't want as many mutants as Grant Morrison nor do I want post-M Day numbers somewhere inbetween. Like there being about 1 Million mutants on the planet which sounds about right considering the population right now is around 6 Billion people.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:22 AM   #45
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I missed Scott Lang at first because Geoff Johns did a great job making him an interesting character. After Johns left, he was promptly killed off by Bendis. Since then, they filled the Ant-Man void with O'Grady, who's a better character.

That doesn't mean they should kill off Lang again because they don't know what to do with him. He can ride off into limbo until some writer comes up with a plan for him. He could always pop up once in a blue to give his daughter advice.

That's the problem with Marvel lately, they run out of ideas for somebody so they promptly kill them. There's other options than death, you know? The lone exception to the rule has been Osborn, who has been rotting away in prison for a year now yet is still a looming presence.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #46
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Scott could take Cassie's place on the YAs, perhaps serve as a mentor. I wouldn't miss her

Old 07-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #47
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

im still pissed that (while this is the only comic i still read), ive only been away from the books for 6months, and Bucky is already DEAD.. again???? what the hell marvel

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #48
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

There is one solution to having Pym, Lang, AND O'Grady around at the same time. They could each take a different identity. Pym has reclaimed being Giant-Man. Lang could take back his Ant-Man name and O'Grady could shift to Yellowjacket. Why that? Because Yellowjacket was often known for being a jerk.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #49
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Or they can have a 3 way brawl for the WCA purple jumpsuit

Old 07-14-2011, 04:16 AM   #50
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
im still pissed that (while this is the only comic i still read), ive only been away from the books for 6months, and Bucky is already DEAD.. again???? what the hell marvel
To be fair Bucky got more good storylines, character development and face time while he was alive again than 80% of the Superheroes who have been alive continiously for the last 40 years.