The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 08-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #76
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Official Young Avengers Discussion Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
I think Rogue actually can touch people now. Still funny, though.
So, what's her reason for not porking Gambit and angsting? I can't imagine any writer writing Rogue without some angst behind her. The no-touch thing was her primary angst machine. Is it the "I don't know who I am because I have too many personalities in my head" thing? Or is her role as mentor to the younger kids hiding that? Mentor figures have archetypes in many comics anyway.

How in the hell did Rogue figure to touch people anyway? Did Xavier finally keep his promise to her made in the 80's or was it a plot Maguffin? I don't follow the X-Books, so I'm outta the loop.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #77
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Official Young Avengers Discussion Thread - Part 1

I don't know, I'm operating off of hearsay. I haven't read any comics with Rogue since Mike Carey stopped writing Uncanny X-Men.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #78
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Fully developed mutant powers

Following the conclusion of Messiah Complex, Rogue's slate was wiped clean. The mutant baby's touch mysteriously erased all of the previous memories and abilities Rogue had absorbed, including those of the Hecatomb. It also cured her of the Strain 88 virus. Rogue's touch now simply steals the memories and abilities of individuals she comes in direct skin-to-skin contact with. The longer the contact, the longer Rogue retains the absorbed information. Although she can now control her powers at her will, she can still make her touch lethal if she activates it as her will to make it lethal on her enemies, and make her touch not lethal on her friends.

Following the events of X-Men: Legacy, Rogue appears to be able to activate her powers at will, as opposed to them being constantly active, as demonstrated when she kisses Gambit without incident. Her inability to control her powers stemmed from mental blocks within her mind which formed each time she used her abilities, crippling the development of her powers from their nascent stage. When Professor Xavier removes the blocks, her powers are allowed to develop normally. With this new control, Rogue demonstrates the ability to absorb and collectively utilize all the powers of the New X-Men, in order to defeat a rogue Predator X, with no apparent harm to either them or herself.
so basically her powers just matured and she can control it.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #79
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

So, to anyone reading X-Men: Legacy: Has that control translated into Rogue finally lightening the f*** up again and regaining some of that sassy southern belle personality she had before the movies convinced everyone that she needed to be angsty and depressed all the time?

Old 08-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #80
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
So, to anyone reading X-Men: Legacy: Has that control translated into Rogue finally lightening the f*** up again and regaining some of that sassy southern belle personality she had before the movies convinced everyone that she needed to be angsty and depressed all the time?
About half way between the two, I'd say. She has her moments of sass, but still has her serious ones as well. Not so much with the angst anymore, but still hints.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #81
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Hmm, interesting.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #82
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Ugh, shouldn't of gone on this. Being in the UK I'm a few years behind. Bit pissed off that Cassie and Vision aren't together, liked them. And Speed and Kate? NO, Kate and Patriot

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #83
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretNerdGirl View Post
Ugh, shouldn't of gone on this. Being in the UK I'm a few years behind. Bit pissed off that Cassie and Vision aren't together, liked them. And Speed and Kate? NO, Kate and Patriot
how does that put you a few years behind? cant you get the collected books?

[=]
Old 08-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #84
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
so basically her powers just matured and she can control it.
So, Hope just touched Rogue and literally undid about 15 years of baggage from prior stories? And here Marvel seriously thinks Hope is an actual character and not a walking Dues Ex Machina.

Anyway, thanks for the answer. Given how every development with the X-Men is surprisingly complex, that's refreshingly mundane. I imagine Franklin Richards or Dr. Strange or even Elixir could have accomplished a similar feat had a writer/editor wanted it.

Quote:
In a way, I always thought that demeanor was a tease. She's act like a flirt but naturally no man could touch her without dying. It seemed frustrating for Gambit, or anyone else, I'd imagine. It's the version I grew up on as a kid, but watching that 90's cartoon series again, she comes very close to leading Gambit on.

In fairness, not being able to touch anyone is a good reason to be angsty and depressed, even if you have a hot body and super-powers to match. Of course, this is the Marvel Universe and the X-Men encounter artificial means to negate their powers every time a villain seems to invent one, yet their brilliant minds could never simply invent a smaller, more optional gadget for people like Rogue, but...that's another argument.

I liked the version of Rogue that the X-MEN EVOLUTION cartoon, although that's probably because of the design and my taste. There's a happy medium between extremes, I imagine.

At any rate, when angst defines a character for so long, removing it can be an awkward thing for a writer to handle and for fans to react to. For example, Marrina from ALPHA FLIGHT has effectively been reinvented because she normally relied on a bland design with a very simplistic personality, and while I love the change (she's become an "out and proud" alien warrior fish woman), I wonder if purists don't. It does seem that Rogue and Gambit have been detached after being practically glued together until about 7-8 years ago, which is good.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #85
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Bah, whether it has a good reason is irrelevant. It was a conscious change to make Rogue fit in more with her portrayal in the movies, not a natural evolution of her characterization. People cope with things in all kinds of ways, and it's just as likely for someone who's that cut off from society to overcompensate by being extremely outgoing and flirtatious as it is for them to huddle under a cloud of angst all the time. 72.983% of the psychiatrists in my head agree.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #86
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Cyc seems overly pissed off at mags. I love how if this was any other characters off spring,.. the heroes would totally be ok with trying to rehabilitate her.
Magneto is disobeying Cyclops' orders. In Uncanny X-Men, Cyclops ordered Magneto to stay put in Utopia and not get involved with the whole Wanda mess.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #87
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
So, Hope just touched Rogue and literally undid about 15 years of baggage from prior stories?
No, Rogue's powers matured way before Hope came into the present during Second Coming. Xavier removed the mental blocks in Rogue's mind that prevented her powers from maturing.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #88
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Bah, whether it has a good reason is irrelevant. It was a conscious change to make Rogue fit in more with her portrayal in the movies, not a natural evolution of her characterization. People cope with things in all kinds of ways, and it's just as likely for someone who's that cut off from society to overcompensate by being extremely outgoing and flirtatious as it is for them to huddle under a cloud of angst all the time. 72.983% of the psychiatrists in my head agree.
But if Rogue can't touch anyone, then all that outgoing flirtatious stuff just leads to more frustration.

She didn't start out that way in the 80's, but evolved into that over time as the series wore on, about when Jim Lee started rising to the fore. That was naturally the demeanor chosen for the 90's Fox cartoon which likely did more to breed more X-Men fans than anything else at the time. In that, Rogue was all sassy and flirty, but heaven forbid Gambit even TRY to take her up on it, and suddenly he was getting a lecture about how he knows better. Of course, that could have been because his chin always had stubble.

The other problem if if Rogue is too sassy/flirty, especially with a certain set of powers, and she simply becomes She-Hulk with a Southern accent.

Still, it is progress for Rogue to get past the angst engine and move on, especially without Gambit. The question is whether acting as the questionable mentor to the few Academy X mutants who lived is it.

A great deal of X-Men characters could do with lightening up - the dilemma is that is usually impossible if their general franchise remains pessimistic and dire. At the very least, Rogue no longer having to be at the mercy of her powers is a good motivator for that. It's usually impossible to be upbeat when all of your adventures are slow, violent, slow grind into despair as the X-Men have been for ages, at least without a character being insane.

Lord knows how Iceman still cracks a smile. He's seen all his best friends die or become killers or monsters before his eyes. He's a founding X-Man and has accomplished nothing. He didn't even get to bang Emma Frost, and she made doe eyes at him long before Cyclops. Nobody on the X-Men listens to him or takes him seriously, and he's been playing the useless funnyman role longer than anyone else. Yet he still goes at it, cracking a lame joke and covering a villain in ice, which they'll break out of in 4 seconds because Iceman isn't popular enough to stop anyone. He's either a trooper or hopelessly mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
No, Rogue's powers matured way before Hope came into the present during Second Coming. Xavier removed the mental blocks in Rogue's mind that prevented her powers from maturing.
Considering she went to the X-Men in the 80's for help in that regard, it is cool that Xavier finally found time in his schedule for that.

Last edited by Dread; 08-28-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #89
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
how does that put you a few years behind? cant you get the collected books?
Well firstly it means I'm out of sync with the Collector's Edditions and they cost a dollop

Old 08-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #90
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretNerdGirl View Post
Well firstly it means I'm out of sync with the Collector's Edditions and they cost a dollop
Lol. Then its not "because you live in the uk" its because your broke and behind :P

[=]
Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #91
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Lol. Then its not "because you live in the uk" its because your broke and behind :P
Haha I guess but the reason I'm behind is because I read the CEs, which are realised in Britain.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #92
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

IT’S THE AVENGERS VERSUS THE X-MEN – with the Young Avengers and X-Factor caught in the crossfire -- as all four teams battle to determine who will hold the Scarlet Witch responsible for her crimes. Plus, when the origin of the Scarlet Witch’s godlike powers – and the secret history of her murderous rampage in “Avengers: Disassembled” -- are finally revealed, the truth creates a rift among the members of the Young Avengers that the team may not survive.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #93
kguillou
Side-Kick

God this book looks beautiful, I haven't read any of the issues because i'm waiting for the trade but damn, lookin at that makes it hard to wait.

kguillou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #94
Kevin
Doug not so Funny

I heard this was supposed to come out 2 weeks ago.

\K/ COMICBOY
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #95
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Haha, I love Cap's response to Scott's ultimatum. "Well, we're not giving her up, but you're free to hang around and join the Avengers!"

But Madrox and Rictor are right, Scott really is quite a sanctimonious prick. I love how X-Factor hovers on the outskirts of the X-universe talking smack about the main X-characters.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #96
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

im glad i havent missed this issue yet.. whens it getting released? next week?

[=]
Old 09-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #97
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

I could look at Jim Cheung's pretty pictures all day. especially if he keeps drawing Rogue's rack.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #98
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

^Honesty, I like it

Old 09-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #99
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Cheung draws one of the best Spidermans, too. He gets his build just right, and I love how he does the eyes.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:42 AM   #100
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

He's got a weird "descending from the heavens" fetish going on. I swear, it seems like there's at least one page of characters dropping out of the sky in dramatic fashion in every single one of Cheung's comics.