The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Slugster
the Slugster

Default News flash!

Post News about Superman you find here as long as the Mods say its cool!

Mine... I got this off of Supermanhomepage.com
The LA Times caught up with director Zack Snyder and asked him about who is favorite Superman comic book artist is, and what his Superman archetypal preference is. Here's an excerpt from the article...
  • "My taste level goes to the more, I guess, muscular Superman. The bigger, more muscular Superman, the way Jim [Lee] draws him. Those tend to be the artists I like in comics. So Jim's Superman, for sure. That's not to say that's how the movie will be, of course, but as far as the comics. It's an interesting thing to think about though. There have just been so many incarnations and so many great ones. As a fan you don't really to have to pick, you can enjoy them all."
Snyder mentions Jim Lee and Curt Swan as being his two favorite Superman artists. Read the complete article at LATimes.com.

Last edited by Slugster; 02-05-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Slugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
raybia
Signing off

Default Re: News flash!

That cool. Cavill looks like Jim Lee's Superman so hopefully that will be the model. Really Superman in this movie should look like he was ripped straight from the comics just the way the characters from Watchmen looked. Hopefully Snyder won't all of a sudden become gun shy with Superman. If he has a conservative approach this movie will fail. Think big!

Thanks Hype for the memories!
raybia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

I agree. Big muscles all the way no matter how homo erotic as that sounds.

I actually think Snyder should play around with Kal-El's alien origin here more. Maybe one of his species attribute is increased muscle mass at desired will (having a limit of course).

That way his alter ego as Clark Kent makes sense.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
raybia
Signing off

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
I agree. Big muscles all the way no matter how homo erotic as that sounds.

I actually think Snyder should play around with Kal-El's alien origin here more. Maybe one of his species attribute is increased muscle mass at desired will (having a limit of course).

That way his alter ego as Clark Kent makes sense.
I hate that at least from a visual standpoint, it looked like most of the heroes from Watchmen could kick Routh's Superman's ass. Even the characters from 300 which both were made by Snyder so I would be shocked if his Superman looked wimpy.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah we're on the same page right?

We both want a muscled Superman. I'm hoping something at least like Dr. Manhattans physique when Cavill is in costume with some digital enhancement. Snyder is good with effects so I'm not worried.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Mike22
Side-Kick

The Jim Lee costume is nothing short of perfect for this movie, they'd just need to darken the blue, because the light blue looks awful in live action, just God awful.

This got me thinking about what direction they're going for with the costume.
Gotta admit, it kinda scares me when he says that it might not end up like that in the movie.
I just have a nasty feeling they might try to redesign the suit to "modernize" it.
Damn, the wait for the costume is gonna kill me.

Mike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike22 View Post
The Jim Lee costume is nothing short of perfect for this movie, they'd just need to darken the blue, because the light blue looks awful in live action, just God awful.

Gotta admit, it kinda scares me when he says that it might not end up like that in the movie.
I just have a nasty feeling they might try to redesign the suit to "modernize" it.

Don't be scared. Clearly Snyder just gravitates toward Lee and Swan representations when it comes to picking his definitive favourite Superman. IMO those are the best drawn of all. They both kept everything simple. In all likelihood we'll get a blend of those two looks which almost guarantees a Classic Superman.

The only 'modernization' that's likely is in the materials chosen and construction/tailoring techniques to bring that design to life. The design work has already been done for him, he just needs to find someone who will realize that design without feeling the need to change it to fit in with current trends. Superman is beyond fashion and the ephemeral, and a brilliant director such as Snyder is smart enough to know this.

Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
raybia
Signing off

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Yeah we're on the same page right?

We both want a muscled Superman. I'm hoping something at least like Dr. Manhattans physique when Cavill is in costume with some digital enhancement. Snyder is good with effects so I'm not worried.
Yes, that is exactly what I want and that is why I am excited that Snyder is doing this movie but at the same time this is the same studio that has struggled with giving us a honest Superman movie since SII in 1980.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
Comicfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
  • "My taste level goes to the more, I guess, muscular Superman. The bigger, more muscular Superman, the way Jim [Lee] draws him. Those tend to be the artists I like in comics. So Jim's Superman, for sure. That's not to say that's how the movie will be, of course, but as far as the comics. It's an interesting thing to think about though. There have just been so many incarnations and so many great ones. As a fan you don't really to have to pick, you can enjoy them all."

THE ART OF COMICFAN
Comicfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Micah12345
Side-Kick

They're probly in the concept stage, so he doesn't have any idea how it will be. He's just making sure people don't go assuming he's going to do it like that. He very well may.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
GreenKToo
In the fire

I'm fine with an update done to the suit. I just don't want it reimagined so much that it ends up looking nothing like the super suit we all know.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
raybia
Signing off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike22 View Post

Same with me but with all of the mostly negative feedback with Singer's Superman design I would think that would be enough of an indication for Snyder and company to give us the tradition design except with better quality material. I wonder is he would do what they did with Reynolds costume in GL, not that I want that.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
Slugster
the Slugster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicfan View Post
Im sure they dont want some muscle bound Superman but...
Some real muscle would look a lot better than the SR suit.
It was like he had a thick rib cage and lats and deltoids but no chest because they had to make the shield look right
I for one would like to see some muscle so Superman LOOKS powerful.
One thing I really like about Cavill is he has a thick neck. it makes the actor look Strong.

=

Last edited by Slugster; 02-05-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Slugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugster View Post
Im sure they dont want some muscle bound Superman but...
Some real muscle would look a lot better than the SR suit.
It was like he had a thick rib cage and lats and deltoids but no chest because they had to make the shield look right
I for one would like to see some muscle so Superman LOOKS powerful.
One thing I really like about Cavill is he has a thick neck. it makes the actor look Strong.

=

Put blond hair on the manip of Henry as Supes, and he looks a lot like John Snyder!

Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #15
Micah12345
Side-Kick

Collider's info must not be legit, or they probly would have posted it by now.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Show, what's up with your tweet from yesterday?

Quote:
Wonder what bit of Superman news will we be getting tomorrow.
http://twitter.com/Peterg_TMT/status/35148303356264448

Are we supposed to be getting news today? Or were you joking because of the LL rumor that came out yesterday.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #17
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Show, what's up with your tweet from yesterday?

http://twitter.com/Peterg_TMT/status/35148303356264448

Are we supposed to be getting news today? Or were you joking because of the LL rumor that came out yesterday.
Yeah I hope we are, let us know Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah12345 View Post
Collider's info must not be legit, or they probly would have posted it by now.
Maybe it was the Lindsay Lohan rumour ha ha

I dont know why they didnt just post it and put take with a pinch of salt of something.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME

Last edited by Morg; 02-15-2011 at 08:08 AM.
BH/HHH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Who would Lindsay be able to play anyway? A Bizzaro version of Ursa or something?

Quote:
Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #19
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:

The LA Times caught up with director Zack Snyder and asked him about who is favorite Superman comic book artist is, and what his Superman archetypal preference is. Here's an excerpt from the article...
Snyder mentions Jim Lee and Curt Swan as being his two favorite Superman artists. Read the complete article at LATimes.com.

Not a shock to me at all. I'm pretty sure he isn't going to make him look like a Modern IFBB Pro, but if Superman "looks like" his built like Spartan from 300, I'd be perfectly happy with it.

That sort of a muscular build can be easily hidden in a suit.

The way I look at it, Superman should look like he would be stronger than most men, powers or not. He is the apex of Kryptonian Eugenics.

He does not have to lift weights to have a strong build, for him its genetic, or given to him from our sun. The same way he has Superpowers, he also has a "Super" physique.

Clark can get away with being a big guy anyway, just not IFBB Pro big, he has to adjust his posture, and the Clark clothes hide denfinition, so he'd end up looking semi-fat frumpy as Clark.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #20
Micah12345
Side-Kick

David Goyer is apparently writing something for action comics 900. Wonder if he'll say more about the movie?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
Octoberist
point blank

Is he?

Old 02-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #22
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Maybe Superman related? Let's cross our fingers but no one hold their breath

Quote:
So what's my Valentines Day looking like? Hmmm...Break a huge scoop, eat some chocolates and go SMASH! Huge scoop on the way.
http://twitter.com/elmayimbe/status/37171472824803328

Edit: So much for that. It's news for Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Last edited by FlawlessVictory; 02-14-2011 at 10:37 AM.
FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:37 AM   #23
Last Kryptonian
Side-Kick

Quote:

Ironic he likes a more "muscular Superman. The bigger, more muscular Superman, the way Jim [Lee] draws him." yet he cast a skinny short guy.

Cavill better put on some serious bulk for this movie.

Last Kryptonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:41 AM   #24
Micah12345
Side-Kick

6'1 is short! hahaha!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:06 AM   #25
Last Kryptonian
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah12345 View Post
6'1 is short! hahaha!
Well Superman is 6'3 sometimes 6'4 so he's short in that term... I'm 6'2 myself so he's shorter then me.

Last Kryptonian is offline   Reply With Quote