The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #26
afan
Side-Kick
 
afan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Norwood,Ma.
Posts: 3,521
Default Re: character development and personalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_Evans View Post
if you say so my friend. For me, I don't really care what Clark's favorite food is, why Lex's hair fell out, why Lois is a journalist instead of a kindergarten teacher or a hair stylist. Clark's favorite cereal is Lucky Charms!

No way............Kellogg's Corn Flakes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOT20LddFOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPwgG...eature=related

__________________
"No comment, until the time limit is up."
afan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #27
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 36,869
Default Re: character development and personalities

I want Superman to be noble character but don't portray him as this...passive character. It just makes him look like a push-over. Superman can be aggressive when the situations fits. We should show that.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #28
Zack Snyder
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,184
Default Re: character development and personalities

Ya I want him to struggle between his now human emotions, and the control he should have as a Vulcan... I mean Kryptonian

Zack Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #29
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 8,988
Default Re: character development and personalities

yeah but I'm sure nobody else gives a crap what Clark's favorite food is, what makes him gassy and whether or not he likes to give people "the bird" or not...it's not interesting

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #30
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 8,988
Default Re: character development and personalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
Nahhhhh, he just delivers Kellogg's Corn Flakes...he doesn't eat 'em

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #31
LeMartien
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 101
Default Re: character development and personalities

Unfortunately it's almost indispensable to bring back the characters thath all the people knew through the ages. A punchy Lois, a goofy and charming Clark, a young Jimmy...

LeMartien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #32
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,706
Default Re: character development and personalities

i guess some of u didn't get what i meant. it isn't really about what food is clark's flavorite. it is more about bringing out the characters' personalities /habits while telling the story. making them real /a real person.

the detail should go not only to the sets, it should go to the characters too.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!

Last edited by sf2; 02-25-2011 at 08:51 AM.
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #33
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 8,988
Default Re: character development and personalities

you want to see Clark eat and take a poop? I'd rather spend my time watching Superman beat the **** out of someone...he doesn't need food and water so that aspect of him I don't care to see. Let's not turn this into Superman Returns since so many of you hate that movie...

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #34
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,706
Default Re: character development and personalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_Evans View Post
you want to see Clark eat and take a poop? I'd rather spend my time watching Superman beat the **** out of someone...he doesn't need food and water so that aspect of him I don't care to see. Let's not turn this into Superman Returns since so many of you hate that movie...
wow. we r so in different channel.

when did i say about eat and poop and that i don't wanna see some awesome fighting???!!!

SR is kinda a disappointment because one of the reasons is it has lack of detail on the characters. each and every characters are so plain and lifeless, except for lex luthor.

take SR as an example. LEx luthor is the character most developed and detailed. he showed his habit, his flavorite books, lines, quotes, gestures and his cloth. he has a scheme. he has plan. it has a complete story on how he got out of jail, planned his revenge and got his revenge. in fact, Bryan Singer thinking only for lex luthor!!!

can u get that??? detail on the character???!!! not just a superman flying around and saving.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!

Last edited by sf2; 02-25-2011 at 10:42 AM.
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #35
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,850
Default Re: character development and personalities

I agree, and there's way of showing things like that subtly without taking up too much screen time. It's not stopping the movie entirely just to show a character eating breakfast with absolutely nothing else going on.

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.
Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #36
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 8,988
Default Re: character development and personalities

what is flavorite? there is no L in FAVORITE if that is what you are trying to spell...you've misspelled it several time already

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #37
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,850
Default Re: character development and personalities

Why don't you do yourself a flavor and FREEZE?

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.
Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #38
afan
Side-Kick
 
afan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Norwood,Ma.
Posts: 3,521
Default Re: character development and personalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
wow. we r so in different channel.

when did i say about eat and poop and that i don't wanna see some awesome fighting???!!!

SR is kinda a disappointment because one of the reasons is it has lack of detail on the characters. each and every characters are so plain and lifeless, except for lex luthor.

take SR as an example. LEx luthor is the character most developed and detailed. he showed his habit, his flavorite books, lines, quotes, gestures and his cloth. he has a scheme. he has plan. it has a complete story on how he got out of jail, planned his revenge and got his revenge. in fact, Bryan Singer thinking only for lex luthor!!!

can u get that??? detail on the character???!!! not just a superman flying around and saving.
Forum should have "Superman Returns Rant", wrap around tags.........

Oh well here's my latest SR rant.........

My disappointment was not that Superman lacked character details, it was that the character details supplied were very un-Superman-like! That he could up and leave without a public announcement, but more importantly that he could abandon his true love, his soul-mate, without as much as a see ya, because he lacked the personal courage to face Lois and still carry out his convictions. That he could while standing in bushes under the cover of darkness use his ability to pry into the private life of the same soul-mate.

__________________
"No comment, until the time limit is up."
afan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #39
Rev
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 54
Default Re: character development and personalities

I would like to see Clark Kent portrayed as street smart and a go getter. Being raised on the farm may have sheltered him from some of horrific crimes that occur in the big city, but he is not ignorant of such events in the world because of satelite and internet news. He can appear meek but not weak because he is the definition of power under control. The way he interacts with others at the Planet and within the community would be down played in comparison to his presence as Superman. As Superman, I would like to see his presence spring from the confidence he has due to his upbringing by the Kents. His willingness to help others is because he genuinely is compassionate and sees that there is a need. He sees the best that people can be and he will not stop believing that he can inspire humanity to strive to be better.

For Lois, she may not be super model beautiful but she has a passion and a fire about her that draws not only the attention of Superman/Clark Kent but the criminal element as well. She is good at what she does and can hold her own in most things. She relies on Superman for the heavy things. Being a driven reporter does not mean that she should be stupid. I could never understand why someone with Lois' credentials would jump into a situation without thinking about the ramifications of her decisions.

I would love to see Lex similar to a moral deficient Bruce Wayne as far as intelligence and business savy. I would keep him as the corporate mogul that he is but let him have enough dirt and corruption on other leaders of industry and political figures that he is able to manipulate them and the political system for his benefit. To the world at large Lex should appear to be the champion for the working class man but the friend of corporate America.

Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #40
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,706
Default Re: character development and personalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
I would like to see Clark Kent portrayed as street smart and a go getter. Being raised on the farm may have sheltered him from some of horrific crimes that occur in the big city, but he is not ignorant of such events in the world because of satelite and internet news. He can appear meek but not weak because he is the definition of power under control. The way he interacts with others at the Planet and within the community would be down played in comparison to his presence as Superman. As Superman, I would like to see his presence spring from the confidence he has due to his upbringing by the Kents. His willingness to help others is because he genuinely is compassionate and sees that there is a need. He sees the best that people can be and he will not stop believing that he can inspire humanity to strive to be better.

For Lois, she may not be super model beautiful but she has a passion and a fire about her that draws not only the attention of Superman/Clark Kent but the criminal element as well. She is good at what she does and can hold her own in most things. She relies on Superman for the heavy things. Being a driven reporter does not mean that she should be stupid. I could never understand why someone with Lois' credentials would jump into a situation without thinking about the ramifications of her decisions.

I would love to see Lex similar to a moral deficient Bruce Wayne as far as intelligence and business savy. I would keep him as the corporate mogul that he is but let him have enough dirt and corruption on other leaders of industry and political figures that he is able to manipulate them and the political system for his benefit. To the world at large Lex should appear to be the champion for the working class man but the friend of corporate America.
bravo, couldn't say any better. agree 100%

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #41
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,706
Default Re: character development and personalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
Forum should have "Superman Returns Rant", wrap around tags.........

Oh well here's my latest SR rant.........

My disappointment was not that Superman lacked character details, it was that the character details supplied were very un-Superman-like! That he could up and leave without a public announcement, but more importantly that he could abandon his true love, his soul-mate, without as much as a see ya, because he lacked the personal courage to face Lois and still carry out his convictions. That he could while standing in bushes under the cover of darkness use his ability to pry into the private life of the same soul-mate.
u r right too. it just showed that singer and his 2 writers had never given a deep thought on the superman character in SR. same to lois lane, jimmy and richard white.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #42
04nbod
I need to debrief you
 
04nbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: birkenhead, uk ahh...the chavs are attacking
Posts: 10,380
Default Re: character development and personalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
well, i hope in the new movie, we can know more about each of the characters.

for clark kent, I would like to know about his hobby, his flavorite food, the food that make him nauseous. his flavorite gesture.

for jimmy olsen, i hope they'll give him more 'details' than just a photographer.

for lois lane, i would like to see more on her charm and personality that make clark fall for her.
For us to see the real Clark he will have to spend a lot of time on the farm. He has to drop the act. Add to that, even when he is acting as CK he doesn't have a lot of friends in Metropolis to show us this.

I'd like to see the more modern Jimmy. He's a roving reporter that never gets enough appreciation. He stumbles on the most epic stuff that he can't pitch and he's a bit of hero in his own right. If he can help, he will. I'm not sure about his motorcycle but if they can do it and not be cheesy then fine.

Lois, Lois, Lois. She needs a life outside of Superman. She has no friends either.

__________________
WHAT WOULD DARTH VADER DO?
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #43
That person
Bull Moose
 
That person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 428
Default Re: character development and personalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
richard white.
Who?

__________________
"Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nicknamed "Teddy" or "TR", was born October 27, 1858 in New York City. As a young child, he was often sick and was stricken with asthma. Viewing this as a challenge, he proceeded to beat his asthma to death."- Cracked
That person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #44
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,706
Default Re: character development and personalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by That person View Post
Who?
the only decent character in SR. played by james marsden

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #45
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 8,988
Default Re: character development and personalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Why don't you do yourself a flavor and FREEZE?
that was funny, I honestly got a chuckle out of that!

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #46
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick
 
NotFadeAway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Mirror Universe
Posts: 5,421
Default Re: character development and personalities

I'd make Clark Kent more of a 21st century nerd/geeker. Sarcasm, witty rambling ala an Apatow character, pop culture references, naturally clutzy out of fear that he may lose control of his abilities, etc. Paul Rudd comes to mind when envisioning my perfect Clark Kent, and I think Henry can do that.

As for Superman, I go with an updated version of the Golden Age Superman. John Wayne in tights crossed with the ideal white knight. This is the best way to make Superman more bad ass without making him Batman. I know Henry can do this

__________________

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!



Last edited by NotFadeAway; 02-27-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: ffff
NotFadeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #47
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,706
Default Re: character development and personalities

will smith? John Honcock?

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #48
8wid
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,166
Default Re: character development and personalities

I don't want any incarnation of Bizarro and the Bizarroworld. He seems to be just a good henchmen for Luthor, especially if there are about five or six of them ganging up on Supes at once. Other I even like the idea of using them to fight for good in case Supes is outmatched by Zod and other Kryptonians too.

8wid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #49
Kurosawa
Banned User
 
Kurosawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth
Posts: 9,485
Default Re: character development and personalities

I love Bizarro and Bizarroworld but I like them used in a more lighthearted manner. Phantom Zone villains are better for serious confrontations with Superman's equals, or better yet, people like Parasite, Kryptonite Man and Metallo who can fight Supes directly but aren't Kryptonian themselves.

I thought most Superman fans knew Clark Kent's favorite dish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_bourguignon

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 AM   #50
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,706
Default Re: character development and personalities

no more phantom zone villains to me. they are 70s!

we need bigger and greater villains. so that the victory would be sweeter! something like battle of the los angeles movie!

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.