The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #76
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The Bush Thread

According to the Reuters, former President George W. Bush has cancelled his trip to Switzerland due to the threat of legal prosecution over torture.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #77
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Lightbulb Re: The Bush Thread II

NATIONAL REVIEW EDITOR LOBBYING FOR JEB BUSH PRESIDENTIAL BID
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...es-jeb-to-run/

...god help us all.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #78
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The Bush Thread II

I like Jeb Bush....but he isn't going to run....I would bet money on it.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #79
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Just imagine what could have been:

George H.W. Bush 1989-1993
William Jefferson Clinton 1993-2001
George W. Bush 2001-2009
Hillary Rodham Clinton 2009-2013/2017
Jeb Bush 2013/2017-?

Talk about political dynasties and a need for new blood...

Old 02-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #80
Alex The Great
Banned User

I don't think I could take another Bush. The rest of the world would never allow it

Alex The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #81
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

The rest of the world has no say in the matter.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #82
LOBO3315a
Artificial Intelligence

Yeah. Who we elect as our President (no matter how incompetent) is our business. Now if we could just afford the same stance to other countries.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
LOBO3315a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #83
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

UPDATE: PRESIDENT W BUSH'S DECISION NOT TO JOIN PRESIDENT OBAMA AT 'GROUND ZERO' DRAWS MIXED REACTION
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...t-ground-zero/

Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #84
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex The Great View Post
I don't think I could take another Bush. The rest of the world would never allow it

I don't really give a crap about what the "rest of the world thinks" when it comes to my vote....and exactly what would they do? Send me junk mail?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #85
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
UPDATE: PRESIDENT W BUSH'S DECISION NOT TO JOIN PRESIDENT OBAMA AT 'GROUND ZERO' DRAWS MIXED REACTION
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...t-ground-zero/
It was a good move on his part. Although there was that chance that he could have stolen Obama's thunder by taking some credit, it is highly likely that he could have drawn a lot of criticism for not catching Bin Laden while he was President.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #86
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

He is out of the limelight, he enjoys being out of the limelight.....I would venture to say that is pretty much it....probably as simple as that.

He has never been one to really give a **** about criticism...

Old 05-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #87
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel View Post
I don't really give a crap about what the "rest of the world thinks" when it comes to my vote....and exactly what would they do? Send me junk mail?
dont forget that Prince Ahmad needs you to send that Western Union to Nigeria

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #88
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

lol...

Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #89
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

PRESIDENT W BUSH MAKING MAJOR MONEY IN POST-PRESIDENCY
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_864685.html

Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #90
chaseter
Bland User

They all do. You can be President for 4 years and be set for life. Book deals, speaking engagements, interviews, movie and tv appearances, etc.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #91
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

I think what the article is trying to do, without actually doing it, is give Bush some grief about his "I want to stay out of the limelight" comments....

It fails at doing that, but that seems to be the motive behind it.

He hasn't done anything all that "OMG" lately so they have to really reach for some things....

Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #92
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

PRESIDENT W BUSH ALMOST HIT BY FOUL BALL
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_866071.html

Old 05-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #93
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Speaking of new blood....crazy little thing that between 1952 and 2004 there was only one presidential election (1964) that didn't have a Nixon, Dole or Bush on the Republican ticket. And now the party is urging another Bush to run.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #94
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Speaking of new blood....crazy little thing that between 1952 and 2004 there was only one presidential election (1964) that didn't have a Nixon, Dole or Bush on the Republican ticket. And now the party is urging another Bush to run.
But Jeb Bush is rumored to be the favorite son of the Bushes. While George W. Bush has been seen as the screw up, Jeb Bush is highly regarded and is often seen as someone whose spotlight was stolen by a more entitled George.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #95
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

It is my sincerest hope that this country is never dumb enough to elect another Bush into the presidency.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #96
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

NEW PRESIDENT W BUSH INTERVIEW ON 9/11 TO AIR THIS SUNDAY
http://channel.nationalgeographic.co.../6683/Overview

I'm actually curious...

Old 08-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #97
DACrowe
Side-Kick

REVIEW OF DICK CHENEY'S MEMOIR
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/bo...1&pagewanted=2

Sounds pretty tired and standard stuff. He stood up and faced terrorism, torture was legal for them, Iraq is a great accomplishment, no mention of how they got confused on WMDs or why Cheney was against an Iraq invasion in 1994 and changed his mind in 2003, etc. etc. But it does apparently have some bitter score settling, so on to the juicy parts...

Quote:
The man whom Karl Rove nicknamed “Management” (as in “better check with Management”) and whom the C.I.A. referred to as Edgar (as in Edgar Bergen, puppet master of Charlie McCarthy) began to take a back seat to more moderate voices in the administration, like Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, whom Mr. Cheney depicts in these pages as naÔve and inexperienced in her efforts to reach a nuclear weapons agreement with North Korea.

In fact, the tartest sections of this book reflect Mr. Cheney’s frustration when things did not go his way. Although he is, for the most part, complimentary about President Bush (hailing him as “a visceral and forthright commander” who “strengthened all of us with his conviction”), he assumes a faintly patronizing tone in talking about cases in which Mr. Bush failed to take his advice: rejecting, say, his recommendation in June 2007 that the United States bomb a suspected Syrian nuclear reactor site to send “an important message not only to the Syrians and North Koreans, but also to the Iranians.”

In addition, Mr. Cheney gripes that the president’s siding with Ms. Rice on questions relating to North Korea seemed “out of keeping with the clearheaded way I’d seen him make decisions in the past,” and notes that Mr. Bush did not consult him in late 2006 about naming Robert M. Gates to replace Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, whom he’d previously described to the president as “doing a tremendous job.”

Mr. Cheney and Mr. Rumsfeld had been friends and operational allies since their days together in the Ford administration (where the two honed their skills at bureaucratic maneuvering), and in these pages Mr. Cheney remains firmly in denial about the Pentagon’s mishandling of the Iraq war, from Mr. Rumsfeld’s determination to conduct it on the cheap with a light, fast force, which proved insufficient to restore law and order, to his reluctance to correct course later on.

The former vice president tries to focus blame on the State Department for the lack of postwar planning, even though it has been widely reported that its Future of Iraq blueprints were sidelined by the Pentagon, and he insists that he thought the insurgents were “in the last throes” in 2005, even though there had been myriad warnings from both military and civilian sources that things were spiraling out of control.

Just as reporters and former administration insiders have noted that dissenting opinions tended to be unwelcome in the Bush White House, so Mr. Cheney demonstrates here a distinct antipathy toward people who opposed him on matters of policy. Colin L. Powell — who clashed with Mr. Cheney over Iraq and who was characterized in one of Bob Woodward’s books as thinking that “Cheney took intelligence and converted uncertainty and ambiguity into fact” — is repeatedly dissed in this volume. Mr. Cheney says he “thought it was for the best” that President Bush had accepted Mr. Powell’s resignation as secretary of state in 2004; he says that Mr. Powell handled policy differences not by voicing objections in meetings, but “by criticizing administration policy to people outside the government.”

Treasury Secretary Paul O’Neill, who opposed the big tax cuts favored by Mr. Cheney, is treated similarly brusquely — much the way he was dismissed from his job in December 2002. Mr. Cheney does not discuss Mr. O’Neill’s concern that such tax cuts might lead to a dangerous deficit; rather, he makes the following odd argument, which ratifies other administration insiders’ views that the policy-making process in the Bush administration was both dysfunctional and ad hoc:

“Economic policy was being run out of the White House, and meetings to make big decisions often did not include the Treasury secretary. O’Neill should have demanded — as Hank Paulson would later demand — to be included in any White House meeting about economic policy. On the other hand, either the president or I could have said: ‘Where’s O’Neill? We should not be having this meeting without the treasury secretary.’ ”
I hope when it comes out someone points me to the pages where he talks about what happened to Valerie Plame and how his office destroyed a CIA agent's career which led to the deaths of at least a dozen contacts (I've heard the number is as high as 70), so as to destroy her husband simply because he pointed out that they lied. I doubt that gets a paragraph.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #98
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill

I'm not a religious person, but I believe in karma, whether this life or after.

bell110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #99
chaseter
Bland User

I really wish Dick Cheney and Karl Rove would be put in a jail on a very small island in the middle of no where.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #100
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
REVIEW OF DICK CHENEY'S MEMOIR
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/bo...1&pagewanted=2

Sounds pretty tired and standard stuff. He stood up and faced terrorism, torture was legal for them, Iraq is a great accomplishment, no mention of how they got confused on WMDs or why Cheney was against an Iraq invasion in 1994 and changed his mind in 2003, etc. etc.
I avoid memoirs/autobiographies, especially those written by politicians, like the plague. Of course they won't fess up to their mistakes and flaws. And if they do, it's always severely downplayed. I will wait until someone besides Dick Cheney writes a book about Dick Cheney. Suffering through 500 pages of morally depraved justifications for all the horrible crap he pulled should be illegal under the Geneva convention.

"My mum always said 'if someone doesn't like you, **** 'em. They've got bad taste.'" ~ Bob Hoskins on confidence.
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote