The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Misc. Comics

Old 06-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #51
Roughneck
Side-Kick

Default Re: Invincible - Part 1

You know what? I've read through all of Invincible (Invincible, Brit, Wolf Man, Capes...) about ten times now complete.

Yeah, it's not up to the same calibre as it once was......and I may have happily dropped it after the Viltumite war......but I didn't. It's still a nice fun read for me so I'm not going anywhere.

But what I just said there.....that's why the whole abortion thing came about......honeslty, I think it was just something to keep us coming back after the Viltimute War.

Did I like it? Not really, did I see that coming? Not me, no. Did I want Invincible and Eve to have a kid? Not in the least.

I don't read many comics anymore, but there are some that I will keep getting until they are intollerable.

until then.....make mine Skybound

Old 06-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #52
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Yeah, while I don't loathe it at all, I also feel it's lost much of it's original appeal. I'll continue to read it, but I would really look forward to the next issue before, or I would see an arc up coming that I knew I would die to have to read one issue at a time, so I would wait until I had all of them and read them in one sitting.

Now, I'm like, "Oh, a new one? Sure I'll read it."

In the first place white people got no business playing the blues ever. At all. Under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f*** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of Khakis. The espresso machine is jammed. Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? - George Carlin

Official Recommendations Thread...Revived

PS3 Network Live Rhinocrs Steaks COD Black Ops Nazi Zombies

Avy fixed to work by HunterRider
BAH HUMBBUG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #53
Roughneck
Side-Kick

Oh yeah, I'm like that too. I don't rush to the store to get one......Usually I just see that it's out, Or I see it on here so next time im there I'll grab it,

Whereas it used to be feverishly checking every wednesday to see if there was a new Invincible.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #54
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Invincible - Part 1

The sporadic schedule does mean that I usually have to look up when an issue is out. It's on my pull list, but my shop is small and they sometimes get slighted orders on smaller stuff.

I haven't re-read the entire series in ages, likely because I don't have the time to go through 80 issues of stuff most times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Dread, I can tell deep down in your bones, in your heart of hearts you don't like the book anymore. You just are reluctant to drop it due to your deep emotional connection to the book going back over the years. I understand, I had the same thing. But that made it all the more painful realizing how bad the book had become.
Just because I can see the flaws of certain recent story-lines doesn't mean I dislike the book. If I did, I would drop it. I have dropped books for apathy before, even ones that were $2.99 and shipped sporadically. I read ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN in trade from it's debut, but after the Ultimate Clone Saga after the 100-something-th issue, I abandoned it and never looked back.

I am aware that Kirkman, like many writers, has his strengths and flaws, and his tics, and will change plans on the fly and come up with some stuff as he goes along. It's part of the dance.

I liked the VILTRUMITE WAR overall. Were there flaws? Sure. I thought he left a lot of stuff to be addressed by walls of text exposition. And I understand that the task of avoiding writing himself into a corner probably was executed a little awkwardly. He couldn't eliminate the Viltrumites as a threat forever, because he'd have nothing to do otherwise. And he couldn't have all his lead characters die. Thus, the stalemate was the only thing that prevented an ending that was just another bloodbath, like the CONQUEST arc and the INVINCIBLE WAR issue. Not that I mind blood-bath brawls - I go nuts for that crap. But I understand not wanting to just do a third one. In order to really flesh out the VILTRUMITE WAR on the level of many space epics, it could have cycled through the book 12-36 issues instead of 8, and I can understand many readers and Kirkman himself not wanting to do that. I do think that having the Viltrumite King up and decide not to kill Mark was awkward - there needed to be a better way to the conclusion.

As for the abortion story, it was a possibility and I understand why Kirkman did it - although one could say it is short sighted. It's the Campbellion Hero thing which states that every hero's journey has to end when he has a family, and thus things like marriages and/or kids have to be fled screaming from. Thus, the idea of "saddling" Mark & Eve with a kid at 19 becomes a problem, especially given the kid would likely be a demigod chased from all angles.

I remain bemused by how many American writers continue to adhere to Joseph Campbell's "THE HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES" novel from 1949, yet in Japan, they had DRAGON BALL Z. No, seriously. The main hero not only grows up, not only gets married, not only has a kid, but becomes a GRANDFATHER. Yet somehow Goku's adventures never stopped and he is only one of the most well known figures to teenagers, adults, and young boys across two coasts. Yet the world would collapse unto itself if Spider-Man had a baby. Madness. And I don't consider DBZ to be high art, but they seemed to buck that trend.

I don't think Eve is a terrible character for her actions...but she has proven to be more emotionally fragile than I expected. It is awkward for her to whine about raising a child alone while within 1-2 issues the fact that she and Debbie have grown close is used for comedic relief. If Eve's close enough to Debbie to know all sorts of embarrassing things, then she's close enough to have had help raising a baby. Come to think of it, isn't Amber so emotionally needy that she gives a second chance to a guy who gives her a black eye? Not saying she should have hooked back up with Mark, but...for many strong women, that would have been a last straw, not something that can be forgiven like missing a birthday or forgetting to pick up soda. Maybe Kirkman struggles a little writing female characters long term. At least he didn't kill Eve off during CONQUEST, as he teased.

I will say THAT is getting old. It was clever the first time, but now every time I see someone mutilated, I don't take it at face value. Which is good or bad.

In fairness, Kirkman does admit some of his faults in the letter column. He states when he forgets to name a character on panel, which has happened once or twice. He admits to relying on certain cards too often and feels certain issues were a rut, although the debate rages as to when. He certainly needs to invest in newer villains, so I am glad Dinosaurus and Power-Plex will be getting focus lately, with Galexia likely coming up. The Siquids are also a threat, but a third go may get a bit old.

The series was gearing up for the Viltrumite War for years, and then I think Kirkman realized just how finite his series could be if things went to certain conclusions, so he had to do some Bat-turns to avoid them. Now I believe Kirkman is trying to come up his next long term subplot, and in the meanwhile will coast a bit on soap opera and amping up his newer villains via a "baddie of the month" format - which is all fine if executed well. I've liked William showing up more, for instance.

Still, I feel every long run has it's ups and downs. Ed Brubaker has been writing CAPTAIN AMERICA for 6+ years now, and I can surely attest that there have been peaks and falls. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby did 100 issues of FANTASTIC FOUR, and while they had many classic and iconic issues, they also had some bizarre stinkers. Even "BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES", across 6 seasons, over 100 episodes, and 2 networks, had at least a dozen or two episodes that were either mediocre or lousy. Lord knows there was a lot of crap in Chris Claremont's UNCANNY X-MEN run as well as some inspired stuff. What keeps me is the sense that while some stories are better than others, that an upswing is reasonably coming.

INVINCIBLE is still a book I enjoy, and it is still a book that I reasonably believe will top itself in the future. When I no longer feel so, I'll call it a day. Especially after 80 issues.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #55
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

How is Eve still gaining weight after this abortion?

Old 08-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #56
Roughneck
Side-Kick

She keeps eating....and Mark seems to like it.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #57
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
How is Eve still gaining weight after this abortion?
Stress likely caused her to eat, and she either can't "fix" her figure with her powers or doesn't care to, since she has a low self image now.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #58
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
Stress likely caused her to eat, and she either can't "fix" her figure with her powers or doesn't care to, since she has a low self image now.
No, but I remember early on she said she could make junk food, like cake, that tastes just as good as normal but has all of the nutritional content of a a bowl of broccoli. I'm paraphrasing, but you get the general idea. She should never have gotten fat in the first place.

WalkingDeadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #59
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Say it with me boys: It's called bad writing .

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #60
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

Quote:
Say it with me boys: It's called bad writing .
It was actually explained pretty decently.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 09-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #61
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

I've read all the issues up to #81. I guess I'll have to go out and get #82 when I get a chance. I really love this series. All the lead up to the Viltrumite War was great. I can see how there would be a burn out with things after such a large lead up and pay off, but I think there is still plenty left in the tank for entertainment. I don't think things are done with the Viltrumites, and on top of that I have a feeling that there is more to Robot than meets the eye. I keep waiting on what Phase 2 actually is with him. I know it's got to be more than dating Monster Girl.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #62
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Yes, it was explained decently.

Repost of my review, with re-spoilers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread
INVINCIBLE #82: While it seems longer due to the fifth Wednesday this month, the previous issue did actually ship at the end of July; whether this means that this Image Comics mainstay by Robert Kirkman and Ryan Ottley will be able to get back to a monthly schedule (as it did in 2009) is unknown. The colorist position has seemed to be a fluctuating role for this series for the past several issues; this time, regular Marvel and DC Comics colorist John Rauch lends his digital talents for this issue, and does a great job. As has been true of the past couple of issues, Kirkman is exploring things on earth with Mark/Invincible now that he has back from yet another long space war. He is investing quite a lot of panel time to some of his newer villains, which is good to keep the rogues and character cast fresh.

Rex/Robot is reintroduced to the series while Invincible pays a visit to a character he and Eve defeated roughly a year ago in real time - Universa. Finding a suitable solution with dealing with her highlights a current character arc for Invincible, which benefits the long time reader. When the hero debuted, he was young, spunky, and full of naive idealism. When he was exposed to the ugly reality of the business through betrayals and gory battles, as well as the grays that are explored by Pentagon head Cecil Stedman, he often flexed against them. For a time he was swallowed by the darkness and sought to kill threats immediately - complete with a dark costume. Now, after another space war and personal drama, Invincible is seeking to employ other approaches besides violence. Tiring of villains who seek endless revenge on him (and others), Mark is seeking to find compromises when possible. As Cecil warns, Mark may be going "all in" on this strategy when there still will be maniacs who need to be punched - but that tends to be Mark's standard operating procedure. The ending pays homage to the finale of issue 49 - or rips it off, whichever you prefer.

What makes the book succeed is what has made most other issues succeed - a strong and vibrant supporting cast, flowing subplots and character arcs, ramifications to past actions, crisp dialogue and top notch art. In fact, this issue took longer to read than quite a few others on this list because of the dense dialogue - which didn't make it boring. Plus, 22 pages for $2.99 is fast becoming a luxury in comic books. While new fans may be lost by the dense storyline at this rate and be obligated to catch up via the armada of trade collections for INVINCIBLE, it remains one of the best superhero series for fans of the genre.
I wonder if
Universa will be used to try to create some sort of "triangle" romantic subplot between Mark and Eve? It could become a "quadrangle" with Rex/Robot back and looking very much like Rex Splode.

I imagine we'll get an issue of the Grayson family in space at some point, which sounds fun.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #63
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Yeah none of those explanations fly because Eve was able to use her powers to increase her boob size according to her. I think Kirkman is simply soap boxing for the BBW crowd now that he's done the abortion crowd. Hey I don't mind thick women. I love Christina Hendricks and Lucy Pinder. I just hate Eve.

Dread we are still waiting for you in Thundercats.

- CM Punk
Old 09-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #64
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Yeah none of those explanations fly because Eve was able to use her powers to increase her boob size according to her. I think Kirkman is simply soap boxing for the BBW crowd now that he's done the abortion crowd. Hey I don't mind thick women. I love Christina Hendricks and Lucy Pinder. I just hate Eve.

Dread we are still waiting for you in Thundercats.
Due to a glitch, watching or viewing any website with "thunder" in the URL makes it difficult. I also was never a big fan of the THUNDERCATS and have not sought it out much.

Eve's powers were effected in unpredictable ways due to being pregnant. Remember, she also was having difficulty controlling them during their battle against Universa; they only won because Universa lost her powers without her staff, and Eve decided to try a punch. The "blocks" over manipulating flesh was turned off when Conquest "killed" her, but as she said in this issue, she didn't use her powers AT ALL during Mark's absence. Not to fight crime or, apparently, do anything at all.

The real issue with Eve isn't why she didn't use her powers to stay thin or just to do things even without fighting crime. It's how she has become very needy and fragile as a character. Maybe she always was and we didn't see it because Mark was always dating someone else, or she was, for about half the series. It's not about the abortion. It's about Mark leaving and Eve basically fell apart emotionally, and put herself together again in some different ways. Maybe that's realistic or whatever, but it is a shock to fans I imagine. After all, Eve comes from a less ideal home life than Mark did for a time; her father is very creepy and abusive, and her mom mindlessly takes it (they're an adoptive family, basically, to boot). Mark's home life in comparison was fairly stable until he turned 18 and Nolan did his thing. Her origin mini heaps even more trauma on her (with her "real dad" being a crazy scientist who died and all that). On the flip side, it does seem that for someone who wept about "being alone", Eve sure kept in touch with a very stable supporting cast. Debra Grayson became like a surrogate mother, and the two shared a lot. She stayed friends with William (a pal Mark himself seemed to abandon for ages). She apparently hung out with Dupli-Kate and Immortal for evenings. That's a bigger safety net than I have. Mark's far more isolated in comparison; aside for Eve, he usually didn't talk to other characters beyond missions for long stretches.

In fairness, Kirkman was willing to publish letters critical of the abortion.

If the series has any flaw right now, is there seems to be no major story direction. There're ramifications and subplots from the past, but nothing that provides a drum-beat to things to come. The subplot remains Mark's personal development as a hero, which is fine. But it isn't a plot that drives the story. Groundwork is being done with Universa and Dinosaurus, but the latter was captured this issue and the former hints of more space stories, which we are taking a break from. A great deal of villains were assembled for GUARDING THE GLOBE, but it's lateness is a severe problem - one Kirkman at least doesn't throw at the feet of his artist entirely like the big two do. Because the series has been running so long, repeating itself seems inevitable - and the ending for this issue mirroring the end to issue #49 wasn't something I was overjoyed to see. Some can call it a motif or an homage, but, eh, seen it before. What next, a guy with a bomb for a vest?

My fear for THE VILTRUMITE WAR was that it was so big and had been built up so long that coming up with anything after would be a challenge beyond soap opera and spinning wheels with new baddies. And while those latter things can still be entertaining - they are for me - it isn't the same. I still really, really like INVINCIBLE. But it's not my favorite ongoing right now - that's likely AVENGERS ACADEMY.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #65
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Dread, this new show is a million times better than the original Thundercats and even Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Justice League. You should still watch it.

- CM Punk
Old 09-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #66
shadowforce420
Side-Kick

Just found a comic shop near me and heard good things about this book, is it worth picking up?

shadowforce420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #67
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

shadowforce420, I would pick up the collected stories from early in the series. Those are excellent quality. Don't jump onto the book from here on out. Start from the beginning. First several years or so of Invincible's run, it was my favorite book period.

The collected volumes are good and pretty easy to find I believe.

- CM Punk
Old 09-03-2011, 02:11 AM   #68
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Yeah, Image keeps finding new ways to sell the first few collections. There's trade paperbacks, or hardcovers, which usually have about 2 trades worth of stories, or Omnibuses, which have about 4 trades worth in, or the new COMPENDIUM, which sells the first 9 trades as one phone book size thing. So anyone who wants to catch up on old Invincible just has to pick the collection of their choosing, depending on price and availability.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #69
Kahoot

I've been re-reading my old trades before starting Invincible Ultimate Collection Hardcover 5 & 6. In issue 7 The Green Ghost is seen wearing a t-shirt with the Viltrumite race logo on it. Was that a mistake or done on purpose? I know a lot of the early stuff has foreshadowing for latter comics but I don't know if this was ever brought up.

For Everything A Reason
Fallen Empires Are Ruling
F.E.A.R.
Kahoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #70
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I wanted to get Super Dinosaur on Free Comic Book Day, but could only choose like maybe 5, so I missed it. Then later Super Dinosaur special came out, it was a reprint of the Free Comic now being sold for $3.00, I think. I didn't buy it, but later I got it, FREE, at the Comic Con. the Image booth was passing them out for free.
I have also noticed they keep selling the Science Dog stories, because I keep seeing them listed and go to check it out and maybe buy it and its the same comics I have already bought in single issues.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #71
Kahoot

http://ifanboy.com/articles/comic-bo...vincible-movie
Comic Book Casting: The INVINCIBLE Movie
A little bit of fun by iFanBoy.com, I think Magda Apanowicz would be a better fit for Atam Eve but other wise top notch. I wish Hollywood were listening.

For Everything A Reason
F.E.A.R.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #72
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoot View Post
http://ifanboy.com/articles/comic-bo...vincible-movie
Comic Book Casting: The INVINCIBLE Movie
A little bit of fun by iFanBoy.com, I think Magda Apanowicz would be a better fit for Atam Eve but other wise top notch. I wish Hollywood were listening.
THe only one I thought was good was the Weeds chick as Debbie.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #73
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoot View Post
I've been re-reading my old trades before starting Invincible Ultimate Collection Hardcover 5 & 6. In issue 7 The Green Ghost is seen wearing a t-shirt with the Viltrumite race logo on it. Was that a mistake or done on purpose? I know a lot of the early stuff has foreshadowing for latter comics but I don't know if this was ever brought up.
Kirkman said it was a mistake in one of the PENvincipals columns.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #74
Kahoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingDeadMike View Post
Kirkman said it was a mistake in one of the PENvincipals columns.
Do you remember what he said or was it just along the lines of, "We messed up!"

For Everything A Reason
F.E.A.R.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #75
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

So...

*twiddles thumbs*

What do y'all think will happen with Allen and Nolan now that
Allen is planning to release the virus back on Earth? I'm betting that Mark and Dinosaurus will come up with some kind of antidote.