The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 03-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #126
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Discussion: Illegal Immigration, Immigration Reform, and Other Citizenship Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
The pilgrims didn't quite follow the laws of the natives when they landed at Plymouth Rock.
OK, so what exactly should be done now for Native Americans (only pure Native Americans???) now, how should we repent? What exactly should we do for Blacks, in lieu of the tragedies of slavery? What should we do for women, and the rights that were not given to them for so many years??? What exactly should our immigration policy be? Totally open borders?

I am ready to wait, and listen.....and I don't mean this in a rude way....I am truly curious.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #127
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Default Re: Discussion: Illegal Immigration, Immigration Reform, and Other Citizenship Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
OK, so what exactly should be done now for Native Americans (only pure Native Americans???) now, how should we repent? What exactly should we do for Blacks, in lieu of the tragedies of slavery? What should we do for women, and the rights that were not given to them for so many years??? What exactly should our immigration policy be? Totally open borders?

I am ready to wait, and listen.....and I don't mean this in a rude way....I am truly curious.
All white people should be launched into space and be forced to colonize the Moon.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #128
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
All white people should be launched into space and be forced to colonize the Moon.
OK, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo which white people?

I like that answer though....lol

But I was being SERIOUS..... *goes back to serious face*

Old 03-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #129
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:

Well, I think the point of bringing up European colonization in the immigration debate is just to point out that no, most ancestors of white Americans did not immigrate the "right" way unless the right way involved being complicit in genocide. The point isn't to say we need to go back and undo what was done, the point is made toward people who vilify undocumented to say that doing so is hypocritical.

That being said, there's a ton of stuff we could to do improve the lives of the Native peoples, African Americans, and women. Pouring money and services into the Reservations to make them no longer be the worst places to live in the entire country, give attention and resources to the largely ethnic inner city communities, make an actual effort to address issues of racism and misogyny in many of our police departments and local court systems around the country, create education programs aimed at young people to curb the trend of dehumanized sexualization of women that is the biggest contributing factor to sexual assault and abusive relationships, etc.

As for immigration: While a totally open border would not be a good idea, the fact is that the US/Mexico border is nearly 2,000 miles long. It will never be secure, we'd have to commit a sizable chunk of our armed forces just to the task of guarding the border in order to actually secure it. What we need to do, and really the only thing we can do, is twofold:

1: Make it easier to immigrate to this country and become a citizen here legally. This will help to eliminate the black market going on across the border and give border patrol less to worry about.

2: Focus on giving aid to Mexico and improving the quality of life there. The reason people are coming here is because it's better than the alternative. Mexico being in a poor state is hurting both them and the US, and I think we should be putting in more of an effort to help them.

The number one way we could help Mexico, at no financial cost to ourselves, would be to end the drug war. The cartels are a big part of why things in Mexico are as bad as they are, and if the US government put a stop to the drug war then their infrastructure would collapse under them. If we legalized drugs and put the money we put into the DEA into programs to treat drug addiction, the cartels would go out of business and we'd actually do more to curb drug use than the drug war ever has.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #130
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
OK, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo which white people?

I like that answer though....lol

But I was being SERIOUS..... *goes back to serious face*
All white people. If you white, it ain't right.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #131
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Well, I think the point of bringing up European colonization in the immigration debate is just to point out that no, most ancestors of white Americans did not immigrate the "right" way unless the right way involved being complicit in genocide. The point isn't to say we need to go back and undo what was done, the point is made toward people who vilify undocumented to say that doing so is hypocritical.

That being said, there's a ton of stuff we could to do improve the lives of the Native peoples, African Americans, and women. Pouring money and services into the Reservations to make them no longer be the worst places to live in the entire country, give attention and resources to the largely ethnic inner city communities, make an actual effort to address issues of racism and misogyny in many of our police departments and local court systems around the country, create education programs aimed at young people to curb the trend of dehumanized sexualization of women that is the biggest contributing factor to sexual assault and abusive relationships, etc.

As for immigration: While a totally open border would not be a good idea, the fact is that the US/Mexico border is nearly 2,000 miles long. It will never be secure, we'd have to commit a sizable chunk of our armed forces just to the task of guarding the border in order to actually secure it. What we need to do, and really the only thing we can do, is twofold:

1: Make it easier to immigrate to this country and become a citizen here legally. This will help to eliminate the black market going on across the border and give border patrol less to worry about.

2: Focus on giving aid to Mexico and improving the quality of life there. The reason people are coming here is because it's better than the alternative. Mexico being in a poor state is hurting both them and the US, and I think we should be putting in more of an effort to help them.

The number one way we could help Mexico, at no financial cost to ourselves, would be to end the drug war. The cartels are a big part of why things in Mexico are as bad as they are, and if the US government put a stop to the drug war then their infrastructure would collapse under them. If we legalized drugs and put the money we put into the DEA into programs to treat drug addiction, the cartels would go out of business and we'd actually do more to curb drug use than the drug war ever has.
But you don't say how.....its kind of a duh that we make it easier. But all I hear from some of you is...."Well, look what we did to the Native Americans..." ok?....I have, I teach it, my families history was a part of it...???? ok, ???? How does knowing that help in what needs to be done now?

As far as legalization of drugs, all drugs? At this point, I don't think that all drugs is feasible. We should have thought of that from the beginning, but there is too much of a drug culture now that is far, far gone.

Now Marijuana is another story, I am fine with the legalization of Marijuana and tax the hell out of it....but Meth????? REALLY, YOU WANT TO LEGALIZE METH??????

Old 03-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #132
The Question

Quote:
But you don't say how.....its kind of a duh that we make it easier. But all I hear from some of you is...."Well, look what we did to the Native Americans..." ok?....I have, I teach it, my families history was a part of it...???? ok, ???? How does knowing that help in what needs to be done now?
Honestly, I don't have an answer to that yet. I don't know enough about immigration law to say definitively what the solution would be.

Quote:
As far as legalization of drugs, all drugs? At this point, I don't think that all drugs is feasible. We should have thought of that from the beginning, but there is too much of a drug culture now that is far, far gone.

Now Marijuana is another story, I am fine with the legalization of Marijuana and tax the hell out of it....but Meth????? REALLY, YOU WANT TO LEGALIZE METH??????
Yes, absolutely, all drugs. We do have a pronounced drug culture, but drugs being illegal only makes that worse. Legalizing meth and other such drugs would dissolve an entire black market fueled by murder, blackmail, and extortion. Keeping it illegal isn't helping anything, it's just increasing the amount of violent crime.

If we made, say, meth legal, then we could pour all the money we've been spending on law enforcement to stop people from selling and using meth into programs to treat meth addiction, and actually make some progress in decreasing drug abuse.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #133
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Honestly, I don't have an answer to that yet. I don't know enough about immigration law to say definitively what the solution would be.

Yes, absolutely, all drugs. We do have a pronounced drug culture, but drugs being illegal only makes that worse. Legalizing meth and other such drugs would dissolve an entire black market fueled by murder, blackmail, and extortion. Keeping it illegal isn't helping anything, it's just increasing the amount of violent crime.

If we made, say, meth legal, then we could pour all the money we've been spending on law enforcement to stop people from selling and using meth into programs to treat meth addiction, and actually make some progress in decreasing drug abuse.
The people that I know that are on meth, are not your everyday drug user....they are parents, grandparents, etc...and they don't really want to get off the drug. You make it legal, they will use it till they die. The only thing legalizing Meth would do, is probably give the government a chance to regulate the making of it so that it doesn't burn down entire apartment buildings when their meth lab explodes....but they will still ruin their life with the drug. These people are off the street, they are people you would never, ever believe would do any kind of drug. But low and behold, they are hooked on it and will be until they die.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #134
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
The people that I know that are on meth, are not your everyday drug user....they are parents, grandparents, etc...and they don't really want to get off the drug. You make it legal, they will use it till they die. The only thing legalizing Meth would do, is probably give the government a chance to regulate the making of it so that it doesn't burn down entire apartment buildings when their meth lab explodes....but they will still ruin their life with the drug. These people are off the street, they are people you would never, ever believe would do any kind of drug. But low and behold, they are hooked on it and will be until they die.
I can live with that.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #135
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I can live with that.
Aw....I see, Darwin's Rule.....ok.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #136
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

They made their choice. Just like cigarette smokers. Just like alcoholics.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #137
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Choosing to drink alcohol is a choice, the obsessive nature is not...

Old 03-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #138
The Question

Quote:
Sounds like they already use it even though it's illegal. What does it being illegal accomplish, then?

Legalizing it won't automatically send every drug user to rehab, but if admitting you have a problem doesn't come with the threat of jail time, it makes it a lot easier.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 AM   #139
snyderrocks
Banned User

Quote:
That's cool. I just needed confirmation that you're full of ****. Thanks.
whatever man i have a grandfather who was from Denmark and a grandmother who immigrated from England both of them arrived in america in the 20th century the legal way and my grandfather learned to speak English unlike some people today so you have a good one now .

Last edited by snyderrocks; 03-26-2013 at 03:13 AM.
snyderrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:10 AM   #140
snyderrocks
Banned User

Quote:

prescription drugs take more american's lives then illegal drugs do .

Death by medicine is a 21st-century epidemic, and America's "war on drugs" is clearly directed at the wrong enemy! .

Last edited by snyderrocks; 03-26-2013 at 03:20 AM.
snyderrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #141
echostation
Banned User

This is illegal immigration n'est pas. Hence the idea of having immigration as illegal in the first place means that NO one should be allowed to enter. Immigration is being implied that is it ILLEGAL so then ban all those from coming to the country, that's the only way

echostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #142
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, you have to be at least somewhat pragmatic.

The United States is a country, which has law and order. You have to have some legal framework.

So, putting aside White American hypocrisy, and racism, it's still not unreasonable to want some kind of immigration policy. Unless you're an anarchist.

Personally I think the most expedient solution would be to simply annex Northern Mexico. The Mexican government has shown it has no intention of doing its job (running a country). Best case scenario, Mexico gets off its ass and fixes its North. Worst case scenario, America gets a few more desert states.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #143
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderrocks View Post
whatever man i have a grandfather who was from Denmark and a grandmother who immigrated from England both of them arrived in america in the 20th century the legal way and my grandfather learned to speak English unlike some people today so you have a good one now .
See, was that so hard?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #144
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Sounds like they already use it even though it's illegal. What does it being illegal accomplish, then?

Legalizing it won't automatically send every drug user to rehab, but if admitting you have a problem doesn't come with the threat of jail time, it makes it a lot easier.
Pretty much all laws are broken. This line of thought doesn't make much sense.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #145
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
I am the great-grandson of German immigrants. I am not against immigration. I am against ILLEGAL immigration.

I don't see a conflict or hypocrisy there.
At the point in time when your German ancestors came here, it was legal for them to do so but at that exact same point in history it was likely illegal for people from south east Asia to come here. Is the problem the people coming here or is it the laws we have on the books declaring their being here illegal?

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #146
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Pretty much all laws are broken. This line of thought doesn't make much sense.
My point was, does illegalizing it effectively decrease the amount of drug use to a degree that's worth the problems that come with it being illegal, i/e creating a black market full of violence where civilians and law enforcement officials get hurt or killed. I think the answer is no. I think that putting the money we spend on the drug war into rehabilitation programs for addicts would be less harmful, and more effective at lessening drug abuse.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #147
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

The thing is, we are far different from the 1920s...the drugs are different, people are different. You didn't have the amount of drugs on the market (black market or otherwise) that you do now....some are far more lethal than others, and put people in harms way far greater than marijuana or alcohol. Some of these drugs make you bat **** crazy with the first time taking it.....

Marijuana no problem....meth, BIG PROBLEM...

Old 04-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #148
Alex_Spider
Banned User

Quote:
Well, I think the point of bringing up European colonization in the immigration debate is just to point out that no, most ancestors of white Americans did not immigrate the "right" way unless the right way involved being complicit in genocide.The point isn't to say we need to go back and undo what was done, the point is made toward people who vilify undocumented to say that doing so is hypocritical.

A very reasonable and well thought analysis.

Quote:

People should say more often "I don't know enough about a subject to tell you exactly what i believe should be done".

People should say more often "I don't know enough about a particular subject, so I cannot give a straight answer"

Quote:
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderrocks View Post
prescription drugs take more american's lives then illegal drugs do .

Death by medicine is a 21st-century epidemic, and America's "war on drugs" is clearly directed at the wrong enemy! .
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
This is illegal immigration n'est pas. Hence the idea of having immigration as illegal in the first place means that NO one should be allowed to enter. Immigration is being implied that is it ILLEGAL so then ban all those from coming to the country, that's the only way
Um, you can declare as many laws as you want. Fact is that people will always enter ILLEGALY other countries when forced by conditions of poverty, unemployment and war.

Alex_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #149
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Illegal Immigration, Immigration Reform, and Other Citizenship Issues

UPDATE: SENATOR MENENDEZ SAYS SIXTY VOTES TO PASS IMMIGRATION REFORM NOT DEFINITE
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ration-reform/

...I truly wonder if this congress is capable of anything.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #150
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

If they had to vote to raise their salaries, it would be unanimous.