The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 07-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #276
AvengeME
Banned User

Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I predict that Downey will be back for Avengers 2. After that I'm not as certain. But I definitely think that after the critical and popular hit that Avengers was, he'll be back for another round of that, in addition to Iron Man 3.
At this point you have to negotiate with him on a movie to movie basis. Anything long term, 2+ movies, and Disney would have to break the bank. Plus RDJ may not want another big commitment. I would get him back for Avengers 2 but provide some sort of conclusion to the character. Let him leave the armor behind for the next generation. Recasting the character or "rebooting" would be kinda lame, especially if they nabbed an actor ten years younger.

AvengeME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #277
TacomaTruck90
Side-Kick

I read somewhere (I forget where) Marvels trying to renegotiate his contract , he wants to do it but have Ironman appear two years , that would be reasonable since Avengers 2 doesn't seem to be till 2015 (two years from the release of Ironman 3) and Avengers 3 is projected to be in 2018 ( three years after an assumed Avengers 2 date) so I guess that could work but they be able to have Stark in any other film in MCU , I would loved in Cap two in the same role as his father was in Cap 1 but if it keeps RDJ sounds like a great idea

TacomaTruck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #278
AvengeME
Banned User

I'd prefer the four year gap as well to preserve the epicness of the saga. I'd rather we get Hulk 2 or something else in 2015, Avengers 2 in 2016. There has to be a build up to leave people wanting for more. As long as you have decent fillers in between people will be patient. I think the next set of movies will keep people interested until the next main event. I don't want to see them go the Transformers route and pump A2, A3, A4 in like a 6 year span.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #279
Maximum Carnage
Tanned User

No Iron Man in Avengers? Nay

Maximum Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #280
AvengeME
Banned User

It's inevitable... why would a 50 year old Stark continue to do this sort of stuff? I know movie Stark is probably supposed to be early 40's or just below RDJ's actual age, but it wouldn't make sense for a 60 year old guy to suit up and fight aliens and such. In the comics it is not a problem but in the movieverse it is.

If they value continuity and Feige stays true to his word of no reboots, then it wouldn't make sense for a 50 years old Stark to keep doing this stuff if we are many years into the timeline. That's why I would cut Iron Man out at Avengers 2 or 3. More solo movies probably wouldn't cut it at that point so I don't see the point in Iron Man 4-6. Also would avoid recasts.

I think once Avengers and the MCU as a whole runs out of gas, you reboot it for the next generation. Maybe Stark has a kid down the line and you pick it up with new adventures (15-20 years from now). Spiderman and FF will be back in house by then so the possibilities would be endless. Or you could just start over completely with a Civil War movie or something.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #281
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

You guys talk about 50 like the guys going to be in a wheel chair. I think there is definitely a time where RDJ is just going to be too old for the character, but I don't think the magic cutoff date is 50. For pete sake my brother is 51 and he is in better shape than I am at 40 and he runs marathons all the time.

RDJ is in excellent shape and assuming he stays in shape there's no reason he can't continue to play the character.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:05 AM   #282
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

^^Thank you!!! If at 50, 55, or even 60 RDJ is still strong and healthy, wants to and is able to play Tony Stark with the same charisma and charm that he has been doing presently in his 40s, then there will be no need to recast the character. What's with all this ageist nonsense?

Duran Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #283
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Of course Downey will be in the next Avengers. A LOT of the success of the first Avengers movie at the box office was because of him. They ain't throwing that away.

DarkKnight88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #284
Juicy J
Side-Kick

If marvel studios has any idea what they're doing (and they definitely do) they'll keep RDJ as long as humanly possible, but once his time is up simply recast someone in the role. Rebooting the MCU would be foolish. As sacrilegious as it sounds to have anyone other than Downey don the suit, it's hands down the most sensible route to go.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #285
Fudgie
Banned User

At this point Iron Man is RDJ to everyone. Talk about perfect casting.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #286
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I'd hope that Downey makes it at least until Avengers 3.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #287
LuisTX85
Z

I think there's a chance this will be his last But I'm hoping he stays at least until Avengers 2 or even better IF he gets a small role in Avengers 3 and then he gets replaced for IM4&Avengers 4!

Old 08-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #288
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

So with Whedon signed on for the sequel, all that's left is to resign Downey. I hope that I don't wake up one morning and discover the same news that I had when I read about Ed Norton and how Marvel says that they couldn't come to an agreement with RDJ now and will wish him the best in his future endeavors, etc.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #289
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
At this point Iron Man is RDJ to everyone. Talk about perfect casting.
RDJ will be Iron Man's Sean Connery. They're going to find a way to keep him untill Avengers 3 then they'll think about recasting him.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #290
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I don't think so. I think Disney and Marvel are smart enough to know that RDJ is an important part of this puzzle and as long as everyone is game he will continue to take part. RDJ figured into a huge part of the marketing and promotion of the first Avengers movie.

So I'm sure like the Whedon deal they will try and make a deal to keep him on through Avengers 2 and 3. But then again you never know until its done.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #291
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

This won't be his last. That is all.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #292
Chewy
REDACTED

He'll sign for two more Avenger flicks and then lay down his costume with the rest after Avengers 3

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #293
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I'd hope that Downey makes it at least until Avengers 3.

the current cast will stick around until they reboot the franchise.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #294
AvengeME
Banned User

I think it will be a **** measuring contest between RDJ's representation and Disney business reps to see how much money they can milk and save respectively. I wouldn't bet against Tony Stark in that department. The character itself can be put to good use on the negotiating table. Disney will cave in. Some actors are irreplaceable. You can't do a Pirates movie without Depp. Same with Iron Man/RDJ.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #295
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
Kevin F. said no reboots for Iron Man

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #296
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Maybe they will gradually try to phase Downey out if he doesnt wish to continue the role. Avengers have plenty of members.

Primal Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #297
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
I don't think they will ever reboot the franchise. They will just keep going and doing new stories with new actors. Everything done before in the MCU Will still remain Canon. They already proven that there willing to go that route with what they did with the Hulk. There going James Bond with the MCU. Downey is important. They are going to try to keep him for as long as possible but he will eventually be recasted one day and the actor will just continue with his characters story. They're not going to pull a Superman Returns to Man of Steel on us.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 08-09-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #298
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
I don't think they will ever reboot the franchise. They will just keep going and doing new stories with new actors. Everything done before in the MCU Will still remain Canon. They already proven that there willing to go that route with what they did with the Hulk. There going James Bond with the MCU. Downey is important. They are going to try to keep him for as long as possible but he will eventually be recasted one day and the actor will just continue with his characters story. They're not going to pull a Superman Returns to Man of Steel on us.
I don't know; the problem that I have with them going on and on, even with recasting the actors in order to continue forward is that at some point, they'll run out of creative juices and there's only so much that they can do to raise the stakes and have everything feel new and compelling before it gets old and predictable.

I would honestly prefer for them to have a end game in mind, so that they could end on a HIGH note, rather than tarnishing the continuity and hard work that was established with the previous and successful films.

And unlike the situation with the Hulk, they're still just starting in a sense, so they still have plenty of Hulk stories to tell (if done correctly).

And I really don't think that James Bond films can apply since none of them really share any story continuity that's important to the story. The only bond film that I can remember having anything to do with each other in regards to story points were the last two, but the ones before it, not so much aside from the same recurring characters throughout the franchise, and the bond series in a whole should be a good example on how the quality of the films can start at a high but reach at a all time low if they keep the mindset of just going on and on.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #299
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I don't know; the problem that I have with them going on and on, even with recasting the actors in order to continue forward is that at some point, they'll run out of creative juices and there's only so much that they can do to raise the stakes and have everything feel new and compelling before it gets old and predictable.

I would honestly prefer for them to have a end game in mind, so that they could end on a HIGH note, rather than tarnishing the continuity and hard work that was established with the previous and successful films.

And unlike the situation with the Hulk, they're still just starting in a sense, so they still have plenty of Hulk stories to tell (if done correctly).

And I really don't think that James Bond films can apply since none of them really share any story continuity that's important to the story. The only bond film that I can remember having anything to do with each other in regards to story points were the last two, but the ones before it, not so much aside from the same recurring characters throughout the franchise, and the bond series in a whole should be a good example on how the quality of the films can start at a high but reach at a all time low if they keep the mindset of just going on and on.
Dr No and From Russia With Love - FRWL has SPECTRE trying to get revenge on Bond for the death of Dr No. It also features Sylvia Trench at the beginning of the movie, which is a rare instance of a Bond girl carrying over from one movie to the next. She even talks about how he left her for a few months while he went off to Jamaica.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #300
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffTheRooster View Post
Am I the only one who feels not only insulted, but molested by a 350 lb gorilla and then tortured for days and days on end only for it end with every one of my limbs cut off with a butter knife, whenever a movie recasts actors? I seriously can't stand it. It is the worst thing they can do to a franchise. Especially with RDJ. I can tell you this right now, if the character Tony Stark is ever recast(unless they reboot the entire MCU which would be understandable), I will sit and cry in the shower for weeks. Continuity being raped right in front of me, I can't handle it.
drama queen. should they have rebooted rather than recast Rhodey, Banner or Fandral?