The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #301
Aztec
Side-Kick

Default Re: Downey's last?

RDJ will be back for Avengers 2. You can count on it. Marvel/Disney will back up the Brinks truck for sure. He'll be worth every penny too. This is a no brainer for all parties involved. Beyond that? Who knows?

Superman Batman Wonder Woman
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #302
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Yeah, RDJ will beyond the shadow of a doubt will do both IM3 and Avengers 2. Other than those, I'd have no problem with Iron Man moving on. We will have had more than our cinematic fill of the character by then I'm sure. That will be a total of 5 movies with Iron Man in them. Wowza.

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #303
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

I'm betting on three more movies... Avengers 2, Iron Man 4, Avengers 3.

IM4 would obviously be RDJ-centric and would be the most work for him. Avengers 2 and 3 would probably progressively wane away from RDJ as other superheros are introduced. I could even see RDJ being in Avengers 3 for only 15 to 20 minutes total.

A relatively light 3 movie deal, with RDJ being central in only one of them. How could he say no?

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #304
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuzz View Post
Yeah, RDJ will beyond the shadow of a doubt will do both IM3 and Avengers 2. Other than those, I'd have no problem with Iron Man moving on. We will have had more than our cinematic fill of the character by then I'm sure. That will be a total of 5 movies with Iron Man in them. Wowza.
Six, if you count his cameo in TIH =P

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #305
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

Keep Downey 'till A3, as that's when the two Chris' contracts are up.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #306
OrgasmicPotatoe
Side-Kick

Honestly, as the Iron Man franchise is right now (I haven't seen Avengers yet, but I bet it's really good), I wouldn't mind having Robert Downey Jr. play Iron Man for 10 more movies of whatever he's into (GOTG, AVENGERS, IM, FF, and any cross-over they could think of) He's really pleasing to watch do his thing as Tony Stark, the kind of smart *******. I love it.

OrgasmicPotatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #307
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I'm sure Disney's next step right now is working on a new deal with RDJ to get him at least through Avengers 2 and hopefully 3.

I mean realistically, I'm not sure I can see him playing this role up to age 60. Maybe like 53. He'll be almost 50 by the time Avengers 2 comes out.

However let's look at the Iron Man factor. Will Disney try and make another Iron Man or focus on other characters first? We know they got Cap 2 and Thor 2 and Hemsworth and Evans are secure for another 3 movies each at least I think. But maybe instead of say Iron Man 4 we would finally see Doctor Strange, Black Panther, or even Ant-Man.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #308
Aztec
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrgasmicPotatoe View Post
Honestly, as the Iron Man franchise is right now (I haven't seen Avengers yet, but I bet it's really good), I wouldn't mind having Robert Downey Jr. play Iron Man for 10 more movies of whatever he's into (GOTG, AVENGERS, IM, FF, and any cross-over they could think of) He's really pleasing to watch do his thing as Tony Stark, the kind of smart *******. I love it.
What???? How is that possible. I demand you track down a theater still showing it this instant!

Superman Batman Wonder Woman
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #309
LauraT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah but the same three statements exist for Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow and I kind of wish they hadn't milked that so much. In the first he was so inventive and full of energy but by the fourth he sort of ended on a low note.
I know this is from a couple of months ago but I saw POTC 4 for the first time recently and wanted to reply. You're sadly right that POTC has sort of tapped out the Jack Sparrow role and he's really never hit the heights of "Black Pearl" again and 4 was probably one way too many. Prior to Avengers I would have been worried about this because IM2 shows how quickly a popular schtick can start to become rote and stale ( it wasn't there yet but maybe heading that way), but I think his role in that really revitalised both Tony Stark for the public and RDJ for the role itself.

LauraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #310
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I don't know; the problem that I have with them going on and on, even with recasting the actors in order to continue forward is that at some point, they'll run out of creative juices and there's only so much that they can do to raise the stakes and have everything feel new and compelling before it gets old and predictable.

I would honestly prefer for them to have a end game in mind, so that they could end on a HIGH note, rather than tarnishing the continuity and hard work that was established with the previous and successful films.

And unlike the situation with the Hulk, they're still just starting in a sense, so they still have plenty of Hulk stories to tell (if done correctly).

And I really don't think that James Bond films can apply since none of them really share any story continuity that's important to the story. The only bond film that I can remember having anything to do with each other in regards to story points were the last two, but the ones before it, not so much aside from the same recurring characters throughout the franchise, and the bond series in a whole should be a good example on how the quality of the films can start at a high but reach at a all time low if they keep the mindset of just going on and on.
I believe all the new MCU film will do something that most Movie studios avoid when trying to make Superhero films. Most movie studios movies will just borrow minor elements from the comic book stories and the writer/directors will just write a completely original story for the movie. The new batch of Marvel movies will start adapting solid Comic Book story arcs and there are no shortages of popular story arcs in the comics. So in the end MCU movies will be able to produce dozens of movies into the foreseeable future similar to what the WB was able to do Harry Potter franchise. For example Ironman’s doing Extremist and Captain America’s doing Winter Solider.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #311
OrgasmicPotatoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
What???? How is that possible. I demand you track down a theater still showing it this instant!
I went to the theater yesterday. But they weren't showing it anymore, so I decided I would have to go see TDKR instead.

But I have already planned to buy Avengers on DVD when it comes out. I loved every other movies in MCU phase 1, so I guess it won't disappoint. I know TDKR didn't disappoint !

OrgasmicPotatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #312
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

The reality is that it's going to happen sometimes. Star Trek recast Savik way back when after Kirstie Alley first played the character in Wrath of Khan.

The guy that played Fandral had another acting commitment he couldn't break and since he's not a main guy like Thor they can't really work around it.

I would've said that Norton was a bad choice in the first place for Banner since Norton's a control freak and needs to have a lot of say in his projects.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #313
Zatanna
Mistress of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
Oh gosh, please, no 4th film. Or even a 3rd Avengers...

Last edited by Zatanna; 08-11-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Zatanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #314
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffTheRooster View Post
No they should not have recast in the first place.
Sometimes it's out of their hands. The guy who played Fandral, for instance, was unable to come back due to his commitment to a tv show. So should they have pushed back the filming of Thor just for a third-stringer in the movie? What if somebody asks for an astronomical pay raise? Should they pay exorbitant fees just to keep you comfortable? Get real. For something as huge as this recasting is inevitable.

As for Downey, I was under the impression he had a 6-picture deal. If it's four, well, I really hope they can get him back for Avengers 2 and 3. I think it's likely, though, given that he reportedly made $50 million off of Avengers. That's a hell of a feat given that he did a lot less work on that movie than any of the Iron Man movies, since he had five other actors to share screentime with. If I were Downey I'd be thrilled to sign up for two more shots at making $50 million a pop which require less work than a regular movie where he's leading man and making a lot less money than that.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #315
AvengeME
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post

IM4 would obviously be RDJ-centric and would be the most work for him. Avengers 2 and 3 would probably progressively wane away from RDJ as other superheros are introduced. I could even see RDJ being in Avengers 3 for only 15 to 20 minutes total.

A relatively light 3 movie deal, with RDJ being central in only one of them. How could he say no?
Agreed on all counts. I think two more films is a lock with an option for a third film, be it IM4 or Avengers 3. And Avengers 3 definitely doesn't need to feature RDJ in a huge role. Maybe he retires from Iron Man but comes back for the final battle to sacrifice himself for the planet or whatever. Would be a nice send off for the character. Iron Man 4 may not even need to happen depending on how IM3 turns out, so it could just be two films.

Last edited by AvengeME; 08-11-2012 at 06:10 PM.
AvengeME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #316
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatanna View Post
Oh gosh, please, no 4th film. Or even a 3rd Avengers...
I don't understand... do you not like the Avengers or the MCU?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #317
Zatanna
Mistress of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I don't understand... do you not like the Avengers or the MCU?
I liked The Avengers, enjoyed it quite a bit, and while I think the sequel will probably turn out okay (I doubt it would live up to the first), I think a 3rd would be pushing it. JMO.

And I think 3 Iron Men movies are enough. I didn't enjoy the sequel nearly as much as the first.

Zatanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #318
Team Andino
The Paragon of Virtue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatanna View Post
I liked The Avengers, enjoyed it quite a bit, and while I think the sequel will probably turn out okay (I doubt it would live up to the first), I think a 3rd would be pushing it. JMO.

And I think 3 Iron Men movies are enough. I didn't enjoy the sequel nearly as much as the first.
Unfortunately IM2 was bogged down as more of a Avengers prequel as opposed to a Iron Man sequel. Hopefully with Avengers out of the way we can have this series get back on track with its own story.

Team Andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:05 AM   #319
Panther X
Side-Kick

I can see RDJ returning for The Avengers 2. After that, no idea. If they so choose, IM3 would not only conclude that trilogy but also begin Phase 2 of the MCU. I can't see them recasting him for somebody else in Avengers 2 when its meant to tie all of them films together.

Sure, there was the recasting of the Hulk, but it's a little different with Iron Man - he IS the face of the Avengers and the MCU in general. Disney in particular will do practically anything to keep him on board.

Panther X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #320
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

It all depends on how well IM3 does. If its succesful and gets great reviews, they'll want to make IM4. If not, they can leave the franchise for a while and just get Downey for A2 and A3.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #321
cph9fa
Side-Kick

Recasting Tony Stark:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

cph9fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #322
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I doubt it'll be Downey's last film. Marvel will want him for at least two more Avengers movies. If they're smart, RDJ's agents should be taking a hard line with Marvel and Disney now and get a new three-film contract completed and signed.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #323
DieSmiling
WINNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I doubt it'll be Downey's last film. Marvel will want him for at least two more Avengers movies. If they're smart, RDJ's agents should be taking a hard line with Marvel and Disney now and get a new three-film contract completed and signed.
+1

I don't know if there's any other superhero out there currently who's star is as important to their films success. It's not like there will never be another actor who plays Tony Star, but to today's audience RJD IS Stark...

It will be a matter of money and Disney will pony it up, IMO.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #324
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I could see him just doing IM3, and then taking a big paycheck for Avengers 2
Then maybe Marvel lets Iron Man go away for a bit
At least, that's what I'd like to see

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #325
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

Well his contract ends in IM3 because that's the last Iron Man movie.
I hope.
And he should at least be in the Avengers sequels!

I am a hopeless Hiddles fangirl!

IronGirl299 is offline   Reply With Quote