The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 04-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #551
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I think RDJ gets killed off in Avengers 2 or 3. The excitement of IM solo movies lost a little luster after Avengers. We'll see if this movie changes that (not in terms of box office but in desire for more stories). I think Marvel should retire the character because clearly anything that follows in the near future this is going to get lambasted by the public.

You reboot Iron Man after all characters and back in house, or at least Spiderman and the Fantastic Four, which should be another 10-15 years tops. When I say reboot, don't start the MCU from scratch. Just use select stories involving characters and any point in their history and tell that story. That way you can cast a 20 year old Stark for the teeney bopper version one year, and a 50 year old Stark for a more adult oriented version, or veteran superhero cross over flick.
1) "The excitement of IM solo movies lost a little luster after Avengers." This is the first post-Avengers film and if anything the hype and excitement for this film is more so than past IM films.

2) Spider-Man and F4 won't be back at Marvel for years, if ever. While they are making money for Sony and Fox don't expect them back at all unless Disney get out the cheque books.

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #552
UnionJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
This thread makes me one, sad panda.

Anyway, I say make Iron Man 4, Avengers 2 and Avengers 3 then RDJ can retire from the character.

After that do a complete reboot in 8 years. Marvel Studios can focus on other, non-Avenger projects within that 8 years.
Marvel have said they won't reboot .. just recast.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #553
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Then how come Avengers 2 and Avengers 3 is a higher priority (seemingly so) than IM4 right now? If you could have RDJ back for one and not the other? Obviously the dollars, and that's what I mean. People want more Avengers movies, and IM solo movies lose a bit of luster after you give people Avengers movies. I don't think an IM4 will happen with RDJ. Great if it does. If they save Mandarin for another story down the line, or keep that character involved, and have another side villain, then I think there is a story there. At some point it does seem to be overkill. Do we really need another IM movie in PIII? Anyhow I expect RDJ to be back for Avengers 2. After that, I got no idea, but I am betting they will kill him off in a potential IM4 or Avengers 3 before recasting. Otherwise I see Tony Stark taking a long haitus from the MCU.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #554
UnionJack

They haven't said what films are planned for Phase 3, for all you know (or don't) they could have IM4 on that list along with new characters like, Dr Strange, Black Panther, Heroes for Hire.

They won't "kill off" Tony Stark, either your thinking re-casting and getting your words wrong but they won't kill him off.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #555
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

Quote:
Then how come Avengers 2 and Avengers 3 is a higher priority (seemingly so) than IM4 right now? If you could have RDJ back for one and not the other? Obviously the dollars, and that's what I mean. People want more Avengers movies, and IM solo movies lose a bit of luster after you give people Avengers movies. I don't think an IM4 will happen with RDJ. Great if it does. If they save Mandarin for another story down the line, or keep that character involved, and have another side villain, then I think there is a story there. At some point it does seem to be overkill. Do we really need another IM movie in PIII? Anyhow I expect RDJ to be back for Avengers 2. After that, I got no idea, but I am betting they will kill him off in a potential IM4 or Avengers 3 before recasting. Otherwise I see Tony Stark taking a long haitus from the MCU.
How does this only apply to Iron Man and not the other heroes featured in the Avengers film?

Is it a requirement to kill off a character before recasting?

InternetPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #556
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not a chance in the world they're going to kill off Tony Stark.
Fiege said in an interview somewhere that what they'd like to do, ideally, is to recast them and have the characters be sort of like James Bond, with a revolving door of actors coming in and filling the roles when someone grows out of the other one.
Trust me, long as these movies make money they will be making them. We could see an Iron Man 10 before the decade is over.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #557
Gary Griffith
Side-Kick

I'm an old bastard and I remember when George Lazenby replaced Sean Connery as James Bond. These days it doesn't seem like a big deal, but back then it was like heresy anyone else playing 007.

That being said, I see RDJ playing Tony Stark at least for 2 more Avengers films and 1 more IM film. I think 3 more Avengers (2-4), 2 more IM (4-5) and even some cameos is possible. I remember when RDJ was being touted as the next GREAT actor and it never came to pass. He seems to not only enjoy playing Stark and his newfound celebrity but he seems to appreciate the turn his life has taken because of Marvel's trust in him back in 2008.

Of course money and negotiations may get in the way, but I believe Marvel knows RDJ is their face. If they're as amicable as I believe, RDJ will be donning the armor for close to a decade. Just my opinion, but I don't think either side will be that dense.

Would love to see them lock up Evans, Hemsworth, Johansson and Jackson for more films as well, but I think it's necessary to do so with RDJ.

I think Marvel will do the right thing. Guess we'll see!

Gary Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #558
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I’m sure he’ll pop up in Avengers 2 – and perhaps another Iron Man movie some time after. Downey Jr would be a substantial loss to the franchise. He’s a large part of why I watch the movies in the first place. His Stark is right up there as one of the best comic book movie characters. Sure, the series can go on just as others have when recasting arises, but it would hurt. He’s so good it is effortless.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #559
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I’m sure he’ll pop up in Avengers 2 – and perhaps another Iron Man movie some time after. Downey Jr would be a substantial loss to the franchise. He’s a large part of why I watch the movies in the first place. His Stark is right up there as one of the best comic book movie characters. Sure, the series can go on just as others have when recasting arises, but it would hurt. He’s so good it is effortless.
Indeed; plus it doesn't make sense to start Phase 2 with Robert as Iron man and only to end it with someone else playing the role.

At this point, the transition between changing the actors for the role wouldn't be smooth at all. Hell, Edward Norton only played the role of Banner once and it was approximately 4 years before the release of the Avengers and yet people still had issue with that so imagine on how much of a issue fans and audiences would have with changing Robert at this stage.

If anything, it's best to keep Robert around AT LEAST until the contracts for Evans and Hemsworth are over that way it won't be as jarring to see different actors playing their roles once all three of them have officially moved on.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #560
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Indeed; plus it doesn't make sense to start Phase 2 with Robert as Iron man and only to end it with someone else playing the role.

At this point, the transition between changing the actors for the role wouldn't be smooth at all. Hell, Edward Norton only played the role of Banner once and it was approximately 4 years before the release of the Avengers and yet people still had issue with that so imagine on how much of a issue fans and audiences would have with changing Robert at this stage.

If anything, it's best to keep Robert around AT LEAST until the contracts for Evans and Hemsworth are over that way it won't be as jarring to see different actors playing their roles once all three of them have officially moved on.
That's a great point. I still have issue with them recasting Banner, as good as Ruffalo was...mostly because I was greatly anticipating seeing Norton and RDJ together in the Avengers movie way back in 2007 when they were both cast.

I think ultimately it will come down to money. I hope Disney/Marvel realizes that deciding to pay the man (instead of recasting with a cheaper actor) will pay off in the end.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #561
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
That's a great point. I still have issue with them recasting Banner, as good as Ruffalo was...mostly because I was greatly anticipating seeing Norton and RDJ together in the Avengers movie way back in 2007 when they were both cast.

I think ultimately it will come down to money. I hope Disney/Marvel realizes that deciding to pay the man (instead of recasting with a cheaper actor) will pay off in the end.
Indeed; I mean if Norton wasn't difficult to work with, regardless of TIH's modest success, he would have been brought back to star in the film but he wasn't because Marvel didn't want to have to deal with his issues while working on "The Avengers" and wanted someone who was more of a "team player" apparently.

The good thing here is that Downey actually enjoys playing the role and doesn't just see it as a means towards getting more money.

Hell, he doesn't need to star in any more solo films, but he should reprise his role as Stark in the next two Avenger films, that way it would be even between him and the big three where all of them have appeared in 6 MCU films in total.

And honestly, it's going to be noticeable for the GA and fans that Downey isn't there anymore and I don't think Marvel or Disney wants that kind of attention when promoting the next Avengers film. They would rather/and should, focus on just promoting that these characters (both the characters and actors that have portrayed them previously) are returning to team up once more and not that one of the main leads has been changed after having starred in 4 of the most financially (at the moment) successful MCU films.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #562
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I really hope IM3 marks his last performance as Tony in a solo film. He should retire after Avengers 3.

RDJ himself has talked about trying to maintain what people liked about his performance to begin with. At some point, it becomes a matter of diminishing returns. Best to leave while you're at your best rather than be trotted out constantly.

Not only that, its time to see RDJ get back into more dramatic films.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #563
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

They'll probably keep RDJ for the Avengers films while the other guys continue making their solo films and after Avengers 3 they'll probably recast all the actors together and make a new set of films but keeping the continuity.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #564
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
To be honest....they can STOP making IM movies if RDJ is gone!! You can replace Bruce Waynes......but Stark is RDJ.
RDJ is very entertaining to watch, but he's definitely not the definative Stark. Stark from the comics is more like James Bond with a suit of armor. RDJ is more of a wacky, eccentric genius with ADD. Whether or not his interpretation is better than the comics is a different story...

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #565
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

edit

Last edited by kedrell; 04-12-2013 at 05:44 PM.
kedrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #566
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

edit

Last edited by kedrell; 04-12-2013 at 05:45 PM.
kedrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #567
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Well I am seeing RDJ being done playing Tony/ Iron Man after Avengers 2. He will probably do a few cameos for the other marvel movies leading up to Avengers 2 and that will be it and a recast after that. The way Kevin Ferge and RDJ have been talking, it seems that will be the case.

ShadowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #568
NerdBuscus

They should introduce time travel via tesseract (???) so that Downey can carry on until he pegs it, then a younger version can take his place and it would make more sense.

NerdBuscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #569
Punisher_MAX
Ol' Painless

i think i might be the only one that thinks Colin Farrell would make a good Tony if recast...

Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #570
Raiden
What a bunch of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I really hope IM3 marks his last performance as Tony in a solo film. He should retire after Avengers 3.

RDJ himself has talked about trying to maintain what people liked about his performance to begin with. At some point, it becomes a matter of diminishing returns. Best to leave while you're at your best rather than be trotted out constantly.

Not only that, its time to see RDJ get back into more dramatic films.
RDJ is still doing dramatic roles inbetween his Tony Stark movies. Why should he choose one or the other?

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #571
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_MAX View Post
i think i might be the only one that thinks Colin Farrell would make a good Tony if recast...
Colin Farrell doesn't make a good anything.

Honestly, Downey's not going anywhere. He loves the role, the popularity, the money. He's just doing the "Maybe, maybe not" thing as leverage at the bargaining table.

I expect him to at least do Avengers 2 and 3.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #572
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

If he really got $50 million for The Avengers - then he should do the next few for free!

While I don't expect him to go away any time soon, I do hope he realizes that it was Iron Man who put him back on the map, and shows Marvel a little gratitude - just as Marvel should respect what RDjr has done for them.

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #573
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
RDJ is still doing dramatic roles inbetween his Tony Stark movies. Why should he choose one or the other?
...Because I would rather see RDJ doing more dramatic roles.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #574
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
If he really got $50 million for The Avengers - then he should do the next few for free!

While I don't expect him to go away any time soon, I do hope he realizes that it was Iron Man who put him back on the map, and shows Marvel a little gratitude - just as Marvel should respect what RDjr has done for them.
He got $50M because in his contract he got some profit sharing from the film. His salary wasn't $50M, probably his salary was likely between 7-10M.

But come on folks, without RDJ in Avengers, it's not the no. 1 movie of the year, it doesn't make 1.5B world wide. That's not to discount anyone else in the film.

I'm sure they will work something out for Avengers 2, but I wouldn't count on him after that.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #575
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
They'll probably keep RDJ for the Avengers films while the other guys continue making their solo films and after Avengers 3 they'll probably recast all the actors together and make a new set of films but keeping the continuity.
I think if you leave a large time gap, like 8 years between A2 and A3, there will be room to tell another trilogy of IM down the line. Sort of how TDKR did it without the retirement of course.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote