The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 04-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #576
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
But come on folks, without RDJ in Avengers, it's not the no. 1 movie of the year, it doesn't make 1.5B world wide. That's not to discount anyone else in the film.
Yes it would ... its the bloody AVENGERS.
The first film to put together heroes from other films.

I like RDJ but please don't account the high profit to just one man!

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #577
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

After the interviews that have been coming out, I'm beginning to think Downey might not be back for A2 and beyond

Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #578
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

The way he's been talking he makes it seem like if he's gonna do it again, it's basically just gonna be for the fans (and a planet-load of money), rather than personally creatively satisfying reasons.

I hope at the very least he comes back for A2. After that, he can go off and retire and I would totally be at peace with his departure.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #579
Leenie
Make Up!

I really hope RDJ and Marvel work something out for the Avengers 2. I personally want one more Avengers movie with the same cast if I can get it.

After the Avengers sequel, I'll be more than content if RDJ decides to hang up his iron gloves.

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Kick-Ass, (8) Batman (89),
(9) Captain America: The First Avenger, (10) X-Men: DoFP
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #580
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I think he is back full fledge for A2. I think the contract will be on par with the first. They will be more careful with the %'s, but it will still amount to about 50 million. I can't see Avengers 2 making much more than 1.5 billion again. More like 1.3 or 1.4, but you never know. A3, I think he has a small role. Maybe he will suit up one last time, but I don't think he will be a featured member. I'm expecting a quasi-reboot after A3 anyhow.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #581
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Sometime in May, it will be announced that Downey has signed a new contract with Marvel that obligates him to appear in 3 more films. In the end, those films will be Iron Man 4, Avengers 2, and Avengers 3.

RDJ has only ever expressed concern over the public getting tired of him as Tony Stark. I've never read anything that said he himself was tiring of the role. He loves it. It's obvious.

Marvel will appeal to RDJ's affection for this character and will definitely offer him a buttload of money because they know as well as everyone else that RDJ is the star of the MCU right now.

ゴジラ

Last edited by kaijunexus; 04-19-2013 at 07:46 AM.
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #582
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

He's said recently he feels his time in the role is coming to an end...

Whether that means now, or a few years in the future, I guess we have to wait and see

Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #583
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Avengers 2 is most likely his last outing as Stark.

I feel like that will be a good time for him to go. Not only can they give him a good sendoff but also hand over the unofficial reigns of "face of the MCU" to another character/actor.

New or current, is the question.

With a rebel yell she cried mo mo moa
mo mo moa
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #584
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Apparently, Shane Black thinks RDJ is coming back for IM4.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...r-8580507.html

Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #585
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post

ゴジラ
Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #586
Alex1397
Newbie First Class

They could always CG him... Haha!

Alex1397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #587
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

As long as IM3 delivers and then TA2 does, then I could someone else playing Stark since RDJ would have had a good enough run with the character.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #588
Lady Marion
Anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post

I hope Black is right .

Lady Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #589
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

There's an article up on the site that shall not be named which has highlights from an interview with Shane Black on whether he'd be back directing Iron Man 4, and he doesn't rule it out...

I reckon if Black was coming back that Downey would be more likley to as well

Old 04-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #590
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Avengers 2 is most likely his last outing as Stark.

I feel like that will be a good time for him to go. Not only can they give him a good sendoff but also hand over the unofficial reigns of "face of the MCU" to another character/actor.

New or current, is the question.
I don't really want to see Tony Stark get a "sendoff"; he's always going to be a vital character in the MCU, with or without RDJ under the mask. Tough to get a replacement Stark, obviously, but if it's gotta be done, it's gotta be done.

I don't really see any character/actor in the rest of the MCU ready to take on the new "face of the MCU" for the fans yet. I'm hoping that CATWS and/or Thor TDW really explode and catch fire with audiences in a much more significant way than their first outings did; I'm even more concerned with the success of CATWS than Thor, because Cap is the logical "new" face of the MCU. But Evans is going to need to knock one out of the park this go-round, because so far, Cap just doesn't trend as high as IM, Thor, Hulk, or maybe even Black Widow in MCU fandom.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #591
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

RDJ needs to have a big role in Avengers 2 and after that, whatever happens happens. He'd have given us a fair share of his talent by then and the MU needs to be able to survive without individuals if it's to have any long term. There are other versions of Tony Stark that will work in other ways. Congrats to the man for helping set comic book movies alight over the last 5 years.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #592
Ash Talon
Side-Kick

What if James Rhodes takes over as Iron Man? There's a precedent in the comics. Rhodes can be Iron Man in Avengers 2, and maybe Tony Stark comes back (recasted?) in Iron Man 4?

Ash Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #593
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Talon View Post
What if James Rhodes takes over as Iron Man? There's a precedent in the comics. Rhodes can be Iron Man in Avengers 2, and maybe Tony Stark comes back (recasted?) in Iron Man 4?
Depending on how Thor TDW and CA:TWS fair, right not RDJ is the glue of this franchise.

I trust Whedon and his instincts and maybe that's enough to overcome the loss of RDJ, but look at how much revenue was lost on XFC without Jackman compared to XMO:Wolverine, and by all measures XFC was a far, far, far superior film to XMO:W.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #594
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Calling it now RDJ will sign on for three more films. Avengers 2 and avengers 3 plus Iron man 4 which will be the end of iron man for awhile. As it should be.

KDM1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #595
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
Calling it now RDJ will sign on for three more films. Avengers 2 and avengers 3 plus Iron man 4 which will be the end of iron man for awhile. As it should be.
This man gets it!

ゴジラ
Old 04-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #596
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
From your lips to Kevin Feige's ears.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #597
Chris B
Side-Kick

Something I think worth pointing about the end of IM3 and whether or not RDJ will come back for more films:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Tony Stark "retiring" at the end isn't out of character, and I don't think means that IM3 is a final farewell in the character. In the comics, Stark has hung up the suit on several occasions and ultimately would come back. So I would say this is an instance of the films reflecting the comics.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #598
shogunrua
Side-Kick

I have to say that
That ending of Tony throwing his arc reactor felt a little bit symbolic of RDJ moving on with the character

I would be cool with RDJ retiring, he had a tremendous run with the character, and would end his run in a very satisfying way. Let's face it, he can't be doing Iron Man for the rest of his life.

I think a nice way to introduce new faces to established characters would be to use the crossover movies, like the Avengers, because it being an assemble cast, it should take less pressure from the shoulders of the replacement guy, just my two cents

Old 04-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #599
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
Something I think worth pointing about the end of IM3 and whether or not RDJ will come back for more films:

Tony Stark "retiring" at the end isn't out of character, and I don't think means that IM3 is a final farewell in the character. In the comics, Stark has hung up the suit on several occasions and ultimately would come back. So I would say this is an instance of the films reflecting the comics.
I hope you are right, I've been thinking about this multiple ways. My only concern is I want Joss to be able to hit the ground running with Avengers 2.

IOW I don't want them to waste time describing how Tony builds a new suit or set of suit, or puts the ARC reactor back in, etc., etc.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #600
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Talon View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while now. Since Extremis is finally out in the wild, I was thinking that they could use both Rhodey and the following idea(or something similar) as a means of approaching the inevitable recast. Spoiler warning, so read at your own risk, folks.

Let's assume that somewhere towards the beginning of the next movie, Tony(RDJ) gets critically injured by the main villain(or a henchman, doesn't particularly matter), and is hospitalized. Rhodey takes up the mantle to fight the good fight, while Pepper stumbles upon Tony's latest obsession down in the lab - tailoring Extremis to himself and a new armor(film equivalent of Bleeding Edge).

After Rhodey gets his arse kicked enough times, she decides that the only way to both resuscitate Tony & save the day is to inject him with the modded Extremis, allowing him to also utilize his new suit. This time around; however, we get the scab cocoon, incubation period, and the whole 9 yards of Extremis ala the Ellis/Granov arc.

When Tony emerges from the cocoon, it's the actor replacing RDJ, which can be explained away with the whole "rewriting the brain's repair center" shtick from the comic arc.

Not the most graceful way to do it for sure, but it's an alternative.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote