The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #601
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Default Re: Downey's last?

I've got to say, apart from the interviews we've seen where people say this could be the last Iron Man etc... When people say that the end of the film is Tony retiring etc.. I couldn't disagree more and I think "did we watch the same film?"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The end with Tony saying his piece doesn't say I'm hanging up the suits and retiring, it says I AM IRON MAN and I AM AWESOME. To paraphrase he says something about how people can take his house, his suits etc.. but Iron Man wasn't protecting him, it was a cocoon and he's been reborn, he is Iron Man!

RaZaTrOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #602
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I think MCU could suffer if Robert Downey Jr doesn't comeback especially for Avengers 2. He's the poster boy of this franchise.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #603
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

At the end of Iron Man 3 you see a tagline on the screen that says...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Tony Stark will return.

So to me, that says he'll be in Avengers 2. After that, God knows...

Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 AM   #604
antonydelfini
The Destroyer

I wouldn't be too sad if IM3 is his last. The movie surprisingly wrapped things up really nicely and maybe RDJ wants to go out on a high note unlike Connery or Reeve. IM3 really felt like the end of Tony's story. It's like the opposite of Skyfall's ending wherein it felt like the return of classic Bond adventures.

antonydelfini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:00 AM   #605
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I just can't see them not doing everything that they can to get Downey to come back for a least one more appearance in "Avengers 2"; especially since it'd be odd to start Phase 2 with Downey, but to end it with someone else.

Also, I think Joss somewhat gave a clue as to whether Downey would return. In his recent interview at the Iron Man 3 premiere, when he was going over the Avengers 2 script, he mentioned on how he was looking at things on how it'd make things interesting and fun for Robert Downey to do and such.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #606
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
IM3 really felt like the end of Tony's story.
Why are people saying this? To me it felt like just the beginning of this character (specifically portrayed by RDJ)

RaZaTrOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #607
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I think Iron Man 3 is the last solo Iron Man movie for Downey, he will be back as IM in Avengers 2, after that...

I think he will retire, expect a new actor as Tony Stark in Iron Man 4, whenever that happens.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #608
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Pretty sure this is the hook for Avengers 2. Iron Man's big return. At this point you have to think he'll be around for at least Avengers 3, and that would mean probably at least one more solo film.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 04-25-2013 at 09:23 AM.
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #609
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Gwyneth Paltrow says "I don’t think there’s going to be [an Iron Man 4]. I think we’re done with Iron Man."

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #610
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I really hope it's not his last, I thought he said he wanted to keep making them until he physically couldn't?

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #611
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

I at least want RDJ to do Avengers 2 and then ride off into the sunset (if he so desires). He has done an incredible job bring Tony Stark to life and who plays the role after him will have some huge shoes to fill ( same goes for whoever plays the Joker in the next Batman). RDJ is and will remain the ultimate big screen Tony Stark for many, many years for people (myself included).

ShadowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #612
Robin91939
Master Tim

Wouldn't mind seeing him appear only as Tony Stark in The Avengers II. Have him completely committed to his new life and relationship with Pepper. Have a scene with him watching the devastation from whatever new threat his old teammates are facing with a helpless look on his face. A complete conflict of could he allow this to happen. A hint of selfishness... That he wants to have that normal life and wants to be with Pepper. It would be more than a cameo, but less than a supporting part.

Continue on with Phase 3 with the planned films: Ant Man, Doctor Strange, etc.

Then when The Avengers III comes out, play the same angle with Tony, but have him make a triumphant return at the moment when the team most needs him. Make his return count and make it emotional.

If they're going to decrease Downey's role in these films, do it in a way that makes it epic and I'll accept it. Just putting him in The Avengers II then having him disappear from the Marvel Cinematic Universe would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

-R

Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #613
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
If they're going to decrease Downey's role in these films, do it in a way that makes it epic and I'll accept it. Just putting him in The Avengers II then having him disappear from the Marvel Cinematic Universe would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

-R
I don't think Marvel has ANY intention of making any of their characters disappear, let alone Iron Man.

Tony Stark will continue to have an on-screen role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Kevin Feige has as much as said so himself.

The real question is how long with Downey fill that role?

ゴジラ
Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #614
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
Wouldn't mind seeing him appear only as Tony Stark in The Avengers II. Have him completely committed to his new life and relationship with Pepper. Have a scene with him watching the devastation from whatever new threat his old teammates are facing with a helpless look on his face. A complete conflict of could he allow this to happen. A hint of selfishness... That he wants to have that normal life and wants to be with Pepper. It would be more than a cameo, but less than a supporting part.

Continue on with Phase 3 with the planned films: Ant Man, Doctor Strange, etc.

Then when The Avengers III comes out, play the same angle with Tony, but have him make a triumphant return at the moment when the team most needs him. Make his return count and make it emotional.

-R
Tony Stark wouldn't disappear after Avengers 2, it would just be RDJ last outing as the character. Then future movies would pick up with a recasted Tony but it wouldn't be a reboot of the character.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #615
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Or actually kill him off in Avengers 2 then resurrect him again but with different actor.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #616
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Or actually kill him off in Avengers 2 then resurrect him again but with different actor.
meh.... it would work but I think that could just do a recast like they did with Ed Norton and Mark Ruffalo. No need to really acknowledge the difference between actors.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #617
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Recasting Downey would be very VERY risky.

The Wind Rises - 9/10 Godzilla - 9/10 X-Men: Days of Future Past - 9/10 Edge of Tomorrow - 8/10 22 Jump Street 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 8.5/10 Transformers: Age of Extinction - 7.5/10 Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #618
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

I think people fail to realize that Robert Downey Jr is the reason Iron man is such a cash cow. Without RDJ then those movies would not have done as well as they have.

KDM1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #619
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:

ゴジラ
Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #620
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
I think people fail to realize that Robert Downey Jr is the reason Iron man is such a cash cow. Without RDJ then those movies would not have done as well as they have.
That has been obvious since 2008. But when the actor feels like moving on they have to recast if they want to keep the character going.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #621
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
That has been obvious since 2008. But when the actor feels like moving on they have to recast if they want to keep the character going.
Yea and its still crazy that Terrance Howard got paid more than ANYONE else in the first movie lol.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #622
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Quote:
Their are literally hundreds of other marvel characters they could bring to the big screen. We don't need another solo iron man for awhile. Maybe 5-10 years we could do another solo but my god lets see some other characters.

KDM1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #623
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
Their are literally hundreds of other marvel characters they could bring to the big screen. We don't need another solo iron man for awhile. Maybe 5-10 years we could do another solo but my god lets see some other characters.
I don't understand this argument. IT isn't a question of what they can adapt. It is a question of what will make them a legit profit.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #624
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Pretty sure this is the hook for Avengers 2. Iron Man's big return. At this point you have to think he'll be around for at least Avengers 3, and that would mean probably at least one more solo film.
Agreed. This.

Also another thing Avengers 3 might do is switch up the roster for time in between. Meaning Doctor Strange or now even Daredevil might temporarily take his place on the team.

Daredevil is back to MARVEL now, so he'll probably enter at some point.

Just what happens in the comics, switching up the roster. Also Feige seems like the guy to do this at a certain point because he seems to never want to stay same-old-same-old and always seek some new take. When that happens, unsure, might even just be ten years from now. I just see movies going on like the comics do. Different rosters, different artists, different takes, etc.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #625
Superhero 101
DESI

You guys think Peter Facinelli would make a good Tony Stark?

He sort of Resembles Stark from the Comics