The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #676
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Default Re: Downey's last?

He really doesn't look to have aged much at all from IM1.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #677
chaseter
Bland User

I have been saying this for a while...he will be in Avengers 2 definitely and possibly, possibly IM4 but that is way less likely. That would be his last. Avengers 3 is really unlikely and I really doubt they recast. I would be genuinely shocked to see him in Avengers 3 and I would be super shocked if they recast.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.

Last edited by chaseter; 05-01-2013 at 10:33 PM.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #678
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Why not Avengers 3? To me, that seems like that would be his last one.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #679
chaseter
Bland User

Because he didn't make it sound like he was ready to go for Avengers 2.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #680
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

minor role in Avengers II, cameo in GOTG or War Machine spinoff, and then is killed off in Avengers III.

I • N • T • E • R • S • T • E • L • L • A • R
antsman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #681
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

At some point they will recast the whole Iron Man movie cast. Feige has already said as much. They're going to be making Iron Man movies forever. They'll do it all in one fell swoop I think, so it won't feel awkward to have some actors returning but others being new to roles that are already established. But prior to a franchise-wide recasting(note, I did not say a reboot) they'll give it a good cooling off period of maybe 5-10 years w/o any new Iron Man movies while other heroes movies fill the void. IMO that's the best way to go.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #682
Mr.?
Side-Kick

So if RDJ doesn't play Iron Man anymore some people just dont want them to use the character of Iron Man at all? Sounds stupid to me.

Mr.? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #683
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
At some point they will recast the whole Iron Man movie cast. Feige has already said as much. They're going to be making Iron Man movies forever. They'll do it all in one fell swoop I think, so it won't feel awkward to have some actors returning but others being new to roles that are already established. But prior to a franchise-wide recasting(note, I did not say a reboot) they'll give it a good cooling off period of maybe 5-10 years w/o any new Iron Man movies while other heroes movies fill the void. IMO that's the best way to go.
That sounds like the best plan to me. In my view, he'll just wrap it up after Thanos is dealt with which seems like Avengers 3 which is why I think that'll be his last big hurrah.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #684
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
I don't see him retiring any time soon. I see him as Hugh Jackman is to Wolverine. He seems to love the character way too much and the fans to let it go. On every red carpet, he literally looks like a kid in a candy store lol. He loves doing this. And it's not like he needs to do a lot of action - Iron Man's a suit as Whedon pointed out in an interview so he could easily just hand all or most of the action over to a stunt guy.
I agree, but at the end of the day, business and money pay a huge role in most actors' decisions. If they can't come to an agreement, than no matter how much he loves the character he might have to give it up. Of course, people from Marvel have stated that it's in their interest to have him back, but look at what happened to Terence Howard and Ed Norton.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #685
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
I agree, but at the end of the day, business and money pay a huge role in most actors' decisions. If they can't come to an agreement, than no matter how much he loves the character he might have to give it up. Of course, people from Marvel have stated that it's in their interest to have him back, but look at what happened to Terence Howard and Ed Norton.
I'm pretty sure money was never an issue with Norton, they would have payed him, but it was the fact that he was such a pain in the ass to work with. He's known to be one of the worst people to work with in Hollywood, which is probably one of many reasons, despite being one of the most gifted actors around, why he isn't in as much films as you would think. The whole Norton-cut of TIH fiasco turned Marvel off of him. Too bad too. I like Mark, but I'd prefer Norton as Banner.

But yeah, Howard it was money.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #686
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
They will make Iron Man movies as long as they make money.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #687
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Feige is a businessman. He is not going to give RDJ's reps leverage so he will insist they will be "Bond" the character and prepare to move on from RDJ at any cost. The worst hand you could play is admitting RDJ is irreplaceable. I view it no different than Johnny Depp. You can't do a PotC movie with another guy stepping in. Indiana Jones as well. I think even those franchises will be rebooted or reimagined at some point, but not any time soon.

So they'll get him signed for Avengers 2. Probably an option for a second or even third movie. But I think it will be case by case. I think A2 will be his last role, and then he may cameo or be a small supporting player in Avengers 3, or IM4 will be a transition movie for another actor introduced as "Iron Man", sort of in the Batman Beyond mode.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #688
Waldini
Side-Kick

Let me put it this way ... Robert Downey Jr. made it really-REALLY hard for another actor to fill in the role. He nailed Tony Stark as a character.

I hope RDJ will sign for more Iron Man movies. Although Marvel should be careful. I don't mind six Iron Man movies ... but having six unique stories is hard. Once one does poor at the box-office people tend to lose interest fast.

Here's hoping RDJ will sign for more movies.

Waldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #689
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Downey said he's looking at the back 9 on Daily Show. I think that means he's up for more. It's just about "re-negotiating."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #690
Waldini
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Downey said he's looking at the back 9 on Daily Show. I think that means he's up for more. It's just about "re-negotiating."
He will do more. I'm almost certain he will.

I mean ... 3 good Iron Man movies looks good on his résumé!

Waldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #691
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I bet people said the same thing about Bond.

Recast.

There's already been major recasts in the MCU. It's not a big deal.

They would be wise to give it a little time though. Also, when they recast RDJ, I feel they should recast Potts, etc as well.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #692
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ays-hes-450172

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #693
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
old news dude :P

Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #694
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

Does anyone know the quote/monologue from the end? When it shows Killian in 1999 and Tony getting his surgery and he says something like "an idea begins as something pure".... it sounded so final. The perfect end to the series/Downey if thats the case. Does anyone have the exact quote?

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
RedSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #695
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I don't know how it even makes sense for RDJ to suit up again. Die hard TDKT supporters would argue the same for Bruce Wayne. The suits, going off the trailers alone, are completey autonomous. Fans didn't ask for that, but Marvel went that direction. The suits can do all the dirty work by themselves. No need for Stark to suit up any longer. It literally makes no sense for him to be back.

So I can see him briefly suiting up in A2 in the climax if he has no other options and wants to operate a suit independently. If he is even building more suits that is. But maybe the government or SHIELD commandeers the technology. Or maybe Stark remains as a consultant. Other than that, it is as unlikely as Nolan's Batman suiting up again after TDKR IMO.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #696
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I don't know how it even makes sense for RDJ to suit up again. Die hard TDKT supporters would argue the same for Bruce Wayne. The suits, going off the trailers alone, are completey autonomous. Fans didn't ask for that, but Marvel went that direction. The suits can do all the dirty work by themselves. No need for Stark to suit up any longer. It literally makes no sense for him to be back.
You are making assumptions off of trailers and not seeing the film, so you are wrong about some stuff.

Just saying.

Downey should return, but I think he could easily take some time off between films. He shouldn't be Iron Man in a full role again until Avengers 2 and if they do an IM4, make it the last solo film of Phase 3 heading into Avengers 3. Give RDJ some time to relax and do other movies.

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #697
Mr.M
Side-Kick

RDJ cameo in A2, comes back for a final battle in A3 or IM4. Could dig it. Either way, I can't see RDJ being front and center in another Avengers movies. They will have to pay him as much for even smaller roles/less screen time.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #698
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Sure, a little more money but I don't see him pushing these guys around. He's one of the few truly good guys in Hollywood. I've heard stories about how and who he is, I've even been indirectly involved in one of the franchises he's been a part of and I've heard things that way. And this guy? He's the real deal.

The guys behind Iron Man and the guys behind Sherlock Holmes and etcetera gave him his first big break. Without these films, or at least without Iron Man, it's a question of who and when he could have gotten this comeback from. John F had to fight to convince Marvel that Robert was right for the role, so RDJ wasn't necessarily swimming in offers. These offers came largely due to Marvel giving him a chance. And he seems like a guy who knows this. If it was somebody else, then yeah -- but if it's one thing RDJ is? It's loyal. If they need/want him to wrap things up in a way, he's not going to blow them off.

Same with Hugh Jackman. Why after so many years is he still Wolverine? Well, Wolverine was his first big break in the States. Wolverine helped make him who he is today. It turned Hugh into an A-lister.

When you go from just moderate well known and/or fighting to get your big break. And then it comes? Chances are you're going to always be loyal to the first team and film/character that gave you that shot. If Hugh was well-known in the states prior to Wolverine? I don't think he'd still be around. Same goes with RDJ. Basically saying, he might ask for a little more - but this is not a guy who's going to bully the guys who gave him that first big break. That'd just seem out of character. Shane Black took a chance with RDJ in 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang,' in turn RDJ took a chance on Shane with IM 3. That's RDJ at work. I'm a fan of RDJ not just because he's a great actor, but because he's genuinely a good guy and that's hard to come by in Hollywood. If anything, the talks between RDJ and Feige would be mutual and trying to talk/reason it out - not their lawyers fighting each other. Does he want to be Iron Man forever? Definitely not, he's been carrying 4 films now. But, on the same hand, he doesn't just want to shove these guys aside. So, it's really coming to a mutual agreement that they can both see as the right choice. So if anything it's, "how can we make the right decision that does good by the fans, and we both come out on top?" and that is going to take a while to come to a decision on. After Iron Man, he could have become a jerk to the guys who made 'Sherlock Holmes' asking for more and more - but, he didn't.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 05-03-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #699
Ash Talon
Side-Kick

After seeing IM3, I really hope they recast Tony Stark for his next appearance. I think RDJ isn't even really trying anymore. It seemed like he was really trying to find something to hold onto, but his heart just wasn't in it anymore. The character has become just too jokey. I'd like to see someone else tackle the role.

Ash Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #700
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

You are a crazy man.

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline   Reply With Quote