The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #701
Drizzle
Yo Soy Groot.

Default Re: Downey's last?

I still fully expect to see Tony in The Avengers 2. He is still a SHIELD consultant after all. However, after seeing Iron Man 3, he probably won't be in the suit, if there is a suit at all. Due to the fact that he can control the suit without having to be in it, that ensures that Downey can continue playing Stark without having to worry about stunts and stuff like that. But personally, right now I think we're oversaturated with Iron Man. He's been in four movies in the past five years. I think they should take a break from the Iron Man films for a while and just focus on the other heroes, but bring back Downey for the Avengers films and maybe a cameo here and there.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #702
third3ye
Side-Kick

I think RDJ is 90% done deal for Avengers 2, though beyond that it's a huge question mark.

I'm curious to see how Joss Whedon picks up Stark's story after IM3. I think it'd be pretty cool if Stark is just plain ol' Stark at the beginning of A2 and not 'suiting up' as RDJ liked to coin in Avengers, and somewhere in the middle or towards the end when it's clear they're lacking without Iron Man, then BAM! He comes flying in to save the team in a new suit that he's built after IM3 but was hiding it from Pepper. And you KNOW that one suit is going to be a badass compilation of a lot of the features from his army of suits.

third3ye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #703
Leenie
Make Up!

As I've said before, I will be one happy woman if RDJ comes back for one more Avengers film. I'm not looking too far beyond that.

Ideally, I would love it if RDJ could be Iron Man forever, but a harsh thing called reality prevents that. RDJ has been wonderful to the fans for being the character for four movies now, though. If he decides to stop after the Avengers 2, I will be ready and content enough to move on to other heroes or a recast. If he decides to stay on board after the Avengers 2, then I won't complain, obviously.

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Guardians Of The Galaxy, (8) Kick-Ass,
(9) Batman (89)
(10) Captain America: The First Avenger
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #704
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I think the idea that Tony has totally retired is exaggerated. They certainly left themselves room to have him retire, if RDJ doesn't renew his contract, but I think the intent otherwise is merely that Tony is going to take a break a bit, and stop obsessing over armors as a way to keep himself and others safe. He's going to make a new armor, but as a tool for *him* to use, rather than as a psychological crutch.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #705
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by third3ye View Post
I think RDJ is 90% done deal for Avengers 2, though beyond that it's a huge question mark.

I'm curious to see how Joss Whedon picks up Stark's story after IM3. I think it'd be pretty cool if Stark is just plain ol' Stark at the beginning of A2 and not 'suiting up' as RDJ liked to coin in Avengers, and somewhere in the middle or towards the end when it's clear they're lacking without Iron Man, then BAM! He comes flying in to save the team in a new suit that he's built after IM3 but was hiding it from Pepper. And you KNOW that one suit is going to be a badass compilation of a lot of the features from his army of suits.
Ehh, Thor isn't going to be needing saving by stark lol

Old 05-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #706
Heretic
Side-Kick

I'm fine with various members being rotated in and out of the Avengers line-up (killing them, replacing them on the team etc). I think that the average movie-goer would be really disappointed if RDJ as Stark/Iron Man wasn't in an Avengers movie though. Let's face it...Iron Man 3 will do mega-box office...and Thor 2 and Captain America 2 combined will likely not top it. I do think that Marvel should at least be willing to risk no longer doing Iron Man films, let some other Avengers get the solo spotlight...and save Iron Man for the big team-ups.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #707
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
I'm fine with various members being rotated in and out of the Avengers line-up (killing them, replacing them on the team etc). I think that the average movie-goer would be really disappointed if RDJ as Stark/Iron Man wasn't in an Avengers movie though. Let's face it...Iron Man 3 will do mega-box office...and Thor 2 and Captain America 2 combined will likely not top it. I do think that Marvel should at least be willing to risk no longer doing Iron Man films, let some other Avengers get the solo spotlight...and save Iron Man for the big team-ups.
I think it's very likely that Thor and Cap combined will top it...not by a small margin either

Old 05-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #708
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
I think it's very likely that Thor and Cap combined will top it...not by a small margin either
Possible...maybe I was being a bit hyperbolic...but it would absolutely take their combined totals to top Iron Man 3s total. On their own, neither will be remotely close to what Iron Man brings in. The general public has taken to Iron Man in a major way.

By the way, what about the possibility of RDJ being an adviser and War Machine finally getting some fight time with the Avengers? I mean...I am hoping that AT LEAST Falcon makes it onto the team after he debuts in Captain America 2. Heck, I'd like to see Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch appear in X-Men: Days of Future Past and then move over to Avengers 2. They really should work that out!

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #709
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

There is no way RDJ isn't in A2. Disney may as well make Robert Downey Jr's smirking goateed face the new mouse ears and change the iconic castle in the beginning to his Malibu estate.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
ElMariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #710
roach
I am the night

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/robe...iations-fight/

Saw this today

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #711
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
And this is why I question casting for stuff like Guardians and other films going forward. They want to keep the cost low and one way they like to do that is by not paying their actors very much. The nickel and dime act will get old. At this point you actually do need RDJ, Hemsworth, and Evans.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 05-07-2013 at 06:46 PM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #712
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
And this is why I question casting for stuff like Guardians and other films going forward. They want to keep the cost low and one way they like to do that is by not paying their actors very much.
which is why Marvel tends to go after low-pay actors...and usually run into issues about pay. This will bite them in the rear and it may be sooner or later....cause I know if I made $200,000 on a movie that went on to make a few billion I would not receive $200,000 on it's sequel.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 05-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #713
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
which is why Marvel tends to go after low-pay actors...and usually run into issues about pay. This will bite them in the rear and it may be sooner or later....cause I know if I made $200,000 on a movie that went on to make a few billion I would not receive $200,000 on it's sequel.
They hire television actors and well... a wrestler. Great television actors, but it is telling.

Lets see what happens. If RDJ does have his fellow actors back, imagine if he says no to the Avengers 2? You can't just start re-casting. You could do it with the Hulk. Not only did you end up with the best option, but there was no attachment. There is with RDJ. He is Tony Stark. And it will only get worse with Evans and especially Hemsworth.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #714
roach
I am the night

Quote:
They hire television actors and well... a wrestler. Great television actors, but it is telling.

Lets see what happens. If RDJ does have his fellow actors back, imagine if he says no to the Avengers 2? You can't just start re-casting. You could do it with the Hulk. Not only did you end up with the best option, but there was no attachment. There is with RDJ. He is Tony Stark. And it will only get worse with Evans and especially Hemsworth.
I think Marvel planned for this hence the 'Everything Gets Solved" ending to IM3 and the emphasis on Tony able to man his suits by remote control.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #715
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

I see Marvel like Pittsburgh Penguins; How can they pay for their Crosby, Iginla, Malkin, and co?

Because, they win and make your money back... ten-fold.

Come on Marvel, you've made the cash. Now it's time to put money back into the company.

RIP
Oliver Queen
antsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #716
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

In all fairness, the business Marvel is running is going pretty good. They may have their own rules, but they get the job done. They release quality products, the movies are all very succesful and they even give the director's chair to different people to bring their own vision to the product.

I can't even mention the word "cheap" in this context, when we're talking about millions and billions. They know what they're doing. But, don't lose Downey Jr, Marvel. THAT would be a mistake. Now is time to let some money go and gamble.

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #717
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
I think Marvel planned for this hence the 'Everything Gets Solved" ending to IM3 and the emphasis on Tony able to man his suits by remote control.
Then it is a bad plan imo. You can't make the sequel to the Avengers without the face of the franchise. Especially with how that film ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
In all fairness, the business Marvel is running is going pretty good. They may have their own rules, but they get the job done. They release quality products, the movies are all very succesful and they even give the director's chair to different people to bring their own vision to the product.

I can't even mention the word "cheap" in this context, when we're talking about millions and billions. They know what they're doing. But, don't lose Downey Jr, Marvel. THAT would be a mistake.
Did you read the article?

Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #718
DyeLorean

Quote:

Did you read the article?
Yes I did.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #719
roach
I am the night

Quote:

I can't even mention the word "cheap" in this context, when we're talking about millions and billions. They know what they're doing. But, don't lose Downey Jr, Marvel. THAT would be a mistake. Now is time to let some money go and gamble.
No one is debating the product....it's just that they aren't rewarding their actors for the jobs they did.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #720
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
No one is debating the product....it's just that they aren't rewarding their actors for the jobs they did.
Exactly.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #721
roach
I am the night

They lost Terrence Howard because of their bs, almost lost SLJ because of money...it's well known in Hollywood that Marvel doesn't pay their actors unless you are RDJ.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #722
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
They lost Terrence Howard because of their bs, almost lost SLJ because of money...it's well known in Hollywood that Marvel doesn't pay their actors unless you are RDJ.
And now the other actors have RDJ on their side. The success of IM3 might just have worked against Marvel. Again it is much different trying to replace the leads from The Avengers then it is to replace Howard or Norton, who was a part of the only unsuccessful film in the franchise so far.

They put their faith in the talent and the talent over delivered. Now they don't want to reward them. What happens if the talent starts saying no? Is it Tony Stark or RDJ? Do the girls go nuts for Thor and Loki, or Hemsworth and Hiddleston?

This is why you hear the talk of re-casting and "trilogies". To get rid of "expensive" bits. There is no way Hemsworth shouldn't be Thor for a decade at least, except money.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #723
DyeLorean

Quote:
Yes I know. What I meant with my post is that those are highly detailed contracts that, at least myself, can't even begin to understand because of the amount of numbers and whatever their specific job in a movie actually consists of.
Another question would be if an actor deserves to earn 50 million for a movie, when doctors who save real lives don't. Everything is messed up.

I know it's a business, but we don't really know the mechanics in making a movie and/if an actor really deserves that ridiculously amount of money they ask for.
But, yes, I agree that the cast should re-negociate their deals because the movie, in this case Avengers 2, will probably suffer without any of its stars. And Marvel is clever enought not to make that mistake. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #724
nogap87
Side-Kick

I really don't want Marvel to lose Evans. Iron Man can survive without RDJ but Chris single-handedly saved TFA from being a complete disaster.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #725
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
I really don't want Marvel to lose Evans. Iron Man can survive without RDJ but Chris single-handedly saved TFA from being a complete disaster.

I had a lot of doubts about Evans, but now he is Cap to me. But TFA was just awesome, made all the better by perfect casting of the leads. Hayley Atwell, I love you.

Quote:
Yes I know. What I meant with my post is that those are highly detailed contracts that, at least myself, can't even begin to understand because of the amount of numbers and whatever their specific job in a movie actually consists of.
Another question would be if an actor deserves to earn 50 million for a movie, when doctors who save real lives don't. Everything is messed up.

I know it's a business, but we don't really know the mechanics in making a movie and/if an actor really deserves that ridiculously amount of money they ask for.
But, yes, I agree that the cast should re-negociate their deals because the movie, in this case Avengers 2, will probably suffer without any of its stars. And Marvel is clever enought not to make that mistake. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
What Evans and Hemsworth put their bodies worth deserves a bit more then a small bump in salary imo.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 05-07-2013 at 07:29 PM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote