The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #751
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Maybe his negotiations will be less about his own paycheck and more about his cast mates. Maybe. He is a hero after all...
There is that.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #752
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
Howard always looks/sounds like he's about to cry...
Yeah, my wife refers to him as "that sissy guy that she hates" whenever we see him in a movie or trailer.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #753
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Howard did fine but it was not very likeable.

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #754
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

I thought Howard was great. I especially loved his "next time".

Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #755
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
I think it was reported Evans has a six picture deal, it was originally a nine, but they cut it back to six, so three CA movies and three TA movies. Nine was apparently a bit too much for him, and that's one of the reasons he was hesitant for a while before signing up to play Cap.

And on another note, I never understood why people disliked Howard as Rhodey in IM1. I thought he was fine. I like both him and Cheadle as actors, but I personally found Howard to be much more presentable in the role, being a military guy. Cheadle never felt like that to me, he looked and acted like a cop at best.
I'm the complete opposite. I never bought Howard as a tough as nails military veteran.

I could with Cheadle.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #756
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
I'm the complete opposite. I never bought Howard as a tough as nails military veteran.

I could with Cheadle.
I'm with you. I much preferred Cheadle in the role. I wish Cheadle was in the first one.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #757
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

But howard was brilliant in the role, and he actually had some chemistry during the banter with RDJ.

RDJ could probably be playing this all up as some kind of big media-ploy, as part of Marvel Studio's push to make the fate of Iron Man seem precarious. That's sort of how the last film ended, maybe they told the actors to say this or that when they are asked to do so.

He seemed to be very much devoted to the IM3 film even moreso than he was with TA: bringing in Shane Black, upping Paltrow's role, he had creative contributions in it and if I recall correctly, the shooting began just short of TA's release, so he was involved in it even before all the interntional recognition for TA.

I personally don't think IM4 is something that we need, right now I'd be content with a third Thor/Cap/Hulk movie as Phase 3 wraps up. There's something about trilogies that make things symmetric and fulfilling.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #758
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle-El View Post
Deadline.com is the place to go to for legit industry news.
I read the article, and it was filled with unsourced hearsay and supposition, written in a way so it was impossible to distinguish between what was anonymous sourced claims and what was supposition invented by the writer. If that's whats considered the best in the way of industry news, I'd hate to see the worst.

*remembers El Mayimbe* Oh, yeah, right.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #759
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I thought Howard was great. I especially loved his "next time".
Me too. And the scene where he was a little drunk with Tony on the plane. That was funny.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #760
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post

I could with Cheadle.
Same.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #761
roach
I am the night

There are three things people read in Hollywood for up to date news...Variety, The Hollywood Reporter and Deadline.com.

I live in Hollywood and work in Hollywood and if Nikki Finke prints it...it's true

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #762
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
But howard was brilliant in the role, and he actually had some chemistry during the banter with RDJ.

RDJ could probably be playing this all up as some kind of big media-ploy, as part of Marvel Studio's push to make the fate of Iron Man seem precarious. That's sort of how the last film ended, maybe they told the actors to say this or that when they are asked to do so.

He seemed to be very much devoted to the IM3 film even moreso than he was with TA: bringing in Shane Black, upping Paltrow's role, he had creative contributions in it and if I recall correctly, the shooting began just short of TA's release, so he was involved in it even before all the interntional recognition for TA.

I personally don't think IM4 is something that we need, right now I'd be content with a third Thor/Cap/Hulk movie as Phase 3 wraps up. There's something about trilogies that make things symmetric and fulfilling.
Considering how the vast majority of trilogies fall short, I am not sure how you getting that feeling.

Quote:
Me too. And the scene where he was a little drunk with Tony on the plane. That was funny.
Or his reporting of the "training exercise". Plenty of enjoyable moments with Howard really. One thing I really liked about Howard is that it seemed he really loved and cared for Tony. That they were truly great friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
There are three things people read in Hollywood for up to date news...Variety, The Hollywood Reporter and Deadline.com.

I live in Hollywood and work in Hollywood and if Nikki Finke prints it...it's true
I am with you on this. I don't understand how some are taking this with the "grain of salt" theory.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #763
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Or his reporting of the "training exercise". Plenty of enjoyable moments with Howard really.
Yeah, that one as well! He seemed to have fun with the role.

Quote:
One thing I really liked about Howard is that it seemed he really loved and cared for Tony. That they were truly great friends.
I got that feeling too, I liked it. The scene where he and the soldiers find Stark after he escapes captivity, when he says "Next time you ride with me, all right?", that was great.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #764
roach
I am the night

Quote:

I am with you on this. I don't understand how some are taking this with the "grain of salt" theory.
Some people have this vision of Marvel that they can do no wrong...but after seeing how they treated TH, and how they treated SLJ and how they treated Mickey Rourke I knew what they were about. I like their movies but I dont like their business practices.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 05-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #765
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Some people have this vision of Marvel that they can do no wrong...but after seeing how they treated TH, and how they treated SLJ and how they treated Mickey Rourke I knew what they were about. I like their movies but I dont like their business practices.
And probably Edward Norton too.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #766
roach
I am the night

Quote:
And probably Edward Norton too.
I was going to mention him but I didnt look into why he had issues with Marvel and what Marvel had issues with him. If I remember he problems with an exec that is no longer there

Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #767
Superhero 101
DESI

I thought he had some kind of differences with Feige

Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #768
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Ed Norton has a big ego. That doesn't jive well with Feige. Feige has been securing a lot of yes-men directors, especially with Captain America. It's why we got such a mediocre product. It's probably why Branagh and Johnston packed their bags. I didn't care for them because I never liked Johnston as a director. I like Branagh's Shakespeare (and as an actor) but I thought Marvel handcuffed him a bit on Thor. Feige needs to be a bit more diplomatic and professional with these negotiations. Going out in public and saying Norton was not a team player, and now these latest reports; this isn't the way to conduct yourself when you are in a position of authority.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #769
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Ed Norton has a big ego. That doesn't jive well with Feige. Feige has been securing a lot of yes-men directors, especially with Captain America. It's why we got such a mediocre product. It's probably why Branagh and Johnston packed their bags. I didn't care for them because I never liked Johnston as a director. I like Branagh's Shakespeare (and as an actor) but I thought Marvel handcuffed him a bit on Thor. Feige needs to be a bit more diplomatic and professional with these negotiations. Going out in public and saying Norton was not a team player, and now these latest reports; this isn't the way to conduct yourself when you are in a position of authority.
Yeah, you have some good points there. It's true that Ed Norton has an ego, but he was also very passionate and enthusiastic about the project, and he handled the whole situation in a very respectful and professional way. I remember how literally every interview with Norton after he dropped had at least one question about the whole Hulk thing, I can't imagine how annoying that was. Even so, and even though he's not very keen on interviews and press, he never showed any hard feelings, maybe slight disappointment at times, but all in all he was very professional (and should I say classy) about it.

The whole thing about TIH was really weird though... Like they kept bouncing around talking about decisions that were the complete opposite of one another. Norton was contracted to return, then he wasn't, then he was again, Leterrier wasn't keen on returning, then he said he would return, Marvel said they'll have a sequel to the film, then they didn't, they wanted Norton back, then they didn't. I felt very confused every time I read any kind of article about TIH.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #770
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Considering how the vast majority of trilogies fall short, I am not sure how you getting that feeling.
Simple, like any given story, when it's divided into "three" parts you feel a sense of closure that there's a beginning, middle, and an ending. They trilogies going even back to the old plays back in Ancient Greece. It isn't that much of a stretch: people love it when you divide things into three parts, it's even in your favourite songs with a three-act division.

On a film franchise when you make that, it feels complete and symmetrical.

The quality of trilogies are another matter entirely, but even then I really don't mind how the original Star Wars trilogy, LOTR, Matrix, BTTF, all those were handled. There's an epic quality to them that holds it tightly together.

If Downey only returns for TA2 and TA3 for now, I wouldn't mind it too much.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #771
Donut
Side-Kick

If there is no Iron Man 4. Just have Phrase 3 be more about the team coming together in various ways. Have Stark & vice versa show up in various other solo movies

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #772
LostSon88
Side-Kick

I don't need a 4th.

By Avengers 3 we'll have had 6 films with IM.

Now I love the character, particularly RDJs interpretation but I think 6 is enough. For me at least.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #773
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero 101 View Post
I thought he had some kind of differences with Feige
It wasn't Feige originally, it was some other guy whose name escapes me and who doesn't work there anymore.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #774
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
Simple, like any given story, when it's divided into "three" parts you feel a sense of closure that there's a beginning, middle, and an ending. They trilogies going even back to the old plays back in Ancient Greece. It isn't that much of a stretch: people love it when you divide things into three parts, it's even in your favourite songs with a three-act division.

On a film franchise when you make that, it feels complete and symmetrical.

The quality of trilogies are another matter entirely, but even then I really don't mind how the original Star Wars trilogy, LOTR, Matrix, BTTF, all those were handled. There's an epic quality to them that holds it tightly together.

If Downey only returns for TA2 and TA3 for now, I wouldn't mind it too much.
Except they are almost never truly divided into three acts. What you usually end up with is either the leftovers from the first two films or a quick conclusion that cuts a longer story off at its legs.

They almost never feel complete. The original SW trilogy and LotR are the only two that really qualify.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #775
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Maybe his negotiations will be less about his own paycheck and more about his cast mates. Maybe. He is a hero after all...
It seems that way, and I am glad the cast has this kind of friendship. That said, there IS a fine line between fairness and greed (especially in the film world), but Marvel does have a history of having issues regarding the $$$ in their contracts and low balling. I understand that their films cost money to make. Lots of money and that they need their end of the profits. But, at the same time, RDJ, Evans, Hemms, etc are giving many years of their lives in service of Marvel and the fans. They deserve something for that as well. Without these guys, the Avengers wouldn't have been the same movie. They have the right chemistry and have done so well in their roles. I am sure other people can play their roles and I won't whine when after Avengers 3 comes, everyone gets recast. But, chemistry like they all had isn't always easy to find.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote